• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Tregard

Soothsayer
I would hope the latter spoiler is true in that case.

Boring choice if true.
Not female. Not minority. Not even hot. Bland blandy mcblanderson.

With Chinball taking the reins and everything else changing, it was always going to be a safe choice though

tomtom94

Overnight ratings are in:

Doctor Who's series 10 debut drew 4.6 million viewers to their TV screens last night (April 15) as fans tuned into the start of Peter Capaldi's final season as the Doctor.

'The Pilot' got a 24.8% share of viewers in its 7.20pm time slot, keeping it pretty much on par with its series 9 premiere 'The Magician's Apprentice', which drew 4.58m overnight viewers when it aired in Autumn 2015.

Expected to gain ~2 million from iPlayer and recordings.

Just watched The Pilot, not bad at all! The ending was a little underwhelming but I loved the episode itself. I enjoyed Bill much more than I initially thought I would.

So are the puddle people the strongest alien in the universe since they can eat daleks

Moffat does stupid stuff like that all the time, we're just not supposed to think too deeply.

Although in this *specific* instance, it's a dalek/movellan war era dalek, who are waaaaaaay less powerful then Time War daleks, so it's fine.

tomtom94

Pretty good, right? I feel like in the age of Netflix, Doctor Who is one of the few British shows to hold up amongst that generation.

It beat Take Me Out and it'll consolidate to a good figure. I can't tell if the BBC were expecting higher ratings for the move back to spring or not.

Also, courtesy of me having to hunt down a Telegraph article to find out ITV's ratings:
A BBC spokesman said: "No casting decisions have yet been made on Series 11."

He's a good actor, always liked him. Nothing bland about him.

I've liked him a lot in two different series. Dunno where you're getting bland from.

Never said he wasn't good actor. Said he was bland. He's a safe choice. A very safe choice to usher in Chibnall's era. The first potential pick where I just sort of look at him and go:

GJg9Y.gif

I wouldn't dismiss an actor just because said actor is neither female nor a minority. You make it sound as if simply having a minority or female doctor would automatically make it a better choice.

Nope, but it would be interesting and different.

Other random folks:

Dan Stevens: Hot!

Freddie Fox: Reasonably good-looking and got that David Bowier androgynous thing going on, interesting!
freddiefox26.jpg

Lennie James: Against type, so interesting!
416694_lennie-james_1.jpeg

Oona Chaplin: Killing it in Taboo.
Zilpha_Geary.png

Sanjeev Bhaskar: Pretty good in Unforgotten and he's done comedy before. Versatile actor, against type. (Mike, he was already in Doctor Who as a one-off character. So what?!)
sanjeev-bhaskar.jpg

Kristian Brunn: Got a bit of meat to him, and has a unique look with glasses on. Unfortunately, not actually British.
featured_5_3.jpg

White isn't the problem.

Belfast

Never said he wasn't good actor. Said he was bland. He's a safe choice. A very safe choice to usher in Chibnall's era. The first potential pick where I just sort of look at him and go:

GJg9Y.gif

Other random folks:

White isn't the problem.

After watching Legion, I'd definitely believe Dan Stevens could pull off the whole slightly-unhinged Doctor angle. Sadly, even if he were in the running, he's probably tied up filming Season 2 of that show, anyway. There are loads of other good choices, too.

DeathyBoy

Banned
After watching Legion, I'd definitely believe Dan Stevens could pull off the whole slightly-unhinged Doctor angle. Sadly, even if he were in the running, he's probably tied up filming Season 2 of that show, anyway. There are loads of other good choices, too.

That and any new work post Beauty & The Beast is going to involve a price tag that Doctor Who is never going to be able to match. Dude's price is going way up for future work.

Regarding the "no series 11 casting decisions have been made" quote, one place that was reporting on it (it may have been The Independent but I can't remember exactly) made a good point...

If the new doctor DOES turn up earlier than we expect, it would be a series 10 casting decision, not a series 11 one. So the BBC could be playing coy, though I personally doubt it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Kris Marshall would be underwhelming. I've never particularly been impressed by him. I've never thought he was bad, or anything, but he just totally slipped past me in anything I've ever seen him in. Intuitively, I feel it would be a big step down from Capaldi.

M.Bluth

GJg9Y.gif

Other random folks:

White isn't the problem.

Gonna have to agree with you on this.
I'm not totally on-board with Chibnall in the first place, going with an uninteresting cast is just gonna kill any interest I had.

The (new Doctor possible leak)
Kris Marshall
speculation is picking up steam - just about every newspaper is running with it now.

The major problem I have with the speculation is
he must have made the decision to leave Death in Paradise in mid-2016 - the fact he left the show on screen at the same time Capaldi announced he was leaving Who is a massive coincidence. I've still not seen an article that actually addresses this.

That said, assuming it's true
he came in to Death in Paradise when everyone was expecting it to die without Ben Miller and if anything I've heard some people say it's better now. I can't see him blowing people away but he'd be a solid choice.

And then there's the alternative theory I've seen going around Twitter which is
he's the Valeyard.

Urrrgh, man, I don't think I could ever get my head around that casting. I've never seen
Death in Paradise, but every time I see Marshall all I can think of is Nick Harper from My Family. Now he'll possibly haunt me as Doctor Who, I will never be freeeeee.

Intuitively, I feel it would be a big step down from Capaldi.

Yeah, double urrgggh.

zeemumu

I really like Bill as a new companion. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Referring to fries as chips still throws me off.

And I couldn't really tell if this was an acting problem, but when her foster mom told her about the photographs she seemed so nonchalant about it. I mean they're photos of her biological mother. You'd think she would've handled that with a little more tact than sounding like she found some old clothes in the back of your closet that she's gonna give to goodwill.

Mariolee

I may have missrd it, but what was the point of the Doctor averting his eyes from that one student who Bill eventually "fattened" up?

Dalek

That episode was great. I loved Bill right from the start, which surprised me because I didn't like her introduction last year.

Dalek

I really like Bill as a new companion. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Referring to fries as chips still throws me off.

I told my daughter that people in England refer to fries as "chips". She asked "what do they call chips?"

sturmdogg

I just want a minority or female Doctor, maybe even both. Is that really too much to ask ?

With Gallifrey back, why not just have a new Time Lady character, and have her own adventures? Have her show up in Doctor Who, and if the character is in demand make a spin-off.

With Gallifrey back, why not just have a new Time Lady character, and have her own adventures?

Because then, with this new Time Lady safely set off to the side in her own spinoff on BBC 2 or 3 or whatever, people can safely ignore her while saying "isn't it cool there's a thing over there I'm never going to watch?"

Whereas you make the Doctor a woman now people have to pay attention to her if they want to watch Doctor Who.

People paying attention to Doctor Who is the point.

zeemumu

I liked the little callback to
The Doctor having his mind wiped with Clara with that little sound cue of her theme.

Do you think they were putting a little too much weight on
her relationship with Heather? She didn't know her for that long. but they way that they used it you'd think that they'd known each other for years.

Tizoc

With Gallifrey back, why not just have a new Time Lady character, and have her own adventures? Have her show up in Doctor Who, and if the character is in demand make a spin-off.
Return of the Rani?
A Mistress spn off where she goes messing about the universe?

Kuraudo

Banned

Because the show has repeatedly emphasised over the last few seasons that Time Lords can and do change sex and race during regenerations. Keeping the Doctor a white male after setting precedent for him to not be becomes increasingly problematic.

Bill is awesome. Also her mom (the photos) looks so familiar

GJg9Y.gif

Other random folks:

White isn't the problem.

Okay, I want a Dan Stevens Doctor now please.

This is as close to "the doctor is a bloke and women can go make their own show" as you can get without stating it explicitly.

I liked the little callback to
The Doctor having his mind wiped with Clara with that little sound cue of her theme.

Do you think they were putting a little too much weight on
her relationship with Heather? She didn't know her for that long. but they way that they used it you'd think that they'd known each other for years.
I think the weight was there because of the scene in the nightclub. I think she was "the one" for Bill.

The Giant

Banned
I told my daughter that people in England refer to fries as "chips". She asked "what do they call chips?"

Chips is the superior word.

In Australia, we say chips for both.

Fries = chips (aka hot chips)
Crisps = chips

No Aussie who goes into Macca's says fries.

8bit

Knows the Score

Like Clara & Maisie Thrones in their space Diner? That's Big Finish stuff if ever.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I would hope the latter spoiler is true in that case.

Boring choice if true.
Not female. Not minority. Not even hot. Bland blandy mcblanderson.
It's not something that I'd normally care about with this character, but if we're getting another white dude as the Doctor he better at least be hot.

finally got to see the new ep. Loved it.

I like Bill.Plus, seeing the Movellans fighting the Daleks was a nice touch.

of course next week's ep is from my least favourite Nu Who writer so we'll see how that goes.

Boem

This was great fun. Worked much better for me than the christmas special, which I really didn't like.

In for a great last ride with Capaldi and Moffat. Love both those guys.

Also, bonus points for some great music in this one, and especially bonus points for Bill's Prince shirt. Maybe an easy way to make me love a character but damn it it works.

sturmdogg

Because then, with this new Time Lady safely set off to the side in her own spinoff on BBC 2 or 3 or whatever, people can safely ignore her while saying "isn't it cool there's a thing over there I'm never going to watch?"

Whereas you make the Doctor a woman now people have to pay attention to her if they want to watch Doctor Who.

People paying attention to Doctor Who is the point.

And when the show tanks because of the outrage and negative press? Remember the all-female Ghostbusters? Better be safe than sorry. Create a Time Lady show spin off, if it's a hit THEN make the Doctor a woman.

Edit: unless you get Joss Whedon to be the showrunner. So far as I know he's the only person who knows how to make strong female characters interesting without being preachy.

Metalmarc

Great little epsiode, and a nice jumping on point for new viewers, The Pilot indeed ha.

So are the puddle people the strongest alien in the universe since they can eat daleks

Thats not how it happened, she copied it, a bit like the T-1000 did you not pick that up?

zeemumu

I think the weight was there because of the scene in the nightclub. I think she was "the one" for Bill.

I wasn't really feeling it. They used that nightclub scene a lot but didn't expand on it enough. A montage of them hanging out might've helped.

Thats not how it happened, she copied it, a bit like the T-1000 did you not pick that up?

I thought she assimilated it like The Thing. That seemed to be what she was trying to do to Bill.

Top Bottom