• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Aug 31 World Premiere (Venice)
Dec 9 Exclusive (NYC/La La Land)
Dec 16 Limited (North America)
Dec 25 Wide-ish (North America)
Jan 6 Wide (North America)
Apr 11 Home Video

Fs3DBOg.png

BRg9FNX.png

A musical about a struggling actor who meets a struggling musician in modern day Los Angeles.

pmYBI4Y.png

The 2 Masterminds
7L5KuDt.jpg

Starring
Ereo1T6.jpg

Supporting
EiPJtXE.jpg

njcnMwX.png

La La Land Official Trailer 'Dreamers'
La La Land Official Behind the Scenes Featurette (some spoilers)
La La Land Official Muisc Featurette
Movie Posters

8tWiXBX.png

Golden Globes (7 nominations/7 wins)
WIN Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
WIN Damien Chazelle, Best Director - Motion Picture
WIN Damien Chazelle, Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
WIN Emma Stone, Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
WIN Ryan Gosling, Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
WIN Justin Hurwitz, Best Original Score - Motion Picture
WIN City Of Stars, Justin Hurwitz, Best Original Song - Motion Picture

SAG Awards (2 nominations/1 win)
WIN Emma Stone, Best Performance by an Actress
Nominee Ryan Gosling, Best Performance by an Actor

DGA Award (1 nomination/1win)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film Damien Chazelle

BAFTAs (11 nominations)
Nominee Best Film Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, Marc Platt
Nominee Director Damien Chazelle
Nominee Original Screenplay Damien Chazelle
Nominee Leading Actor Ryan Gosling
Nominee Leading Actress Emma Stone
Nominee Original Music Justin Hurwitz
Nominee Cinematography Linus Sandgren
Nominee Editing Tom Cross
Nominee Production Design Sandy Reynolds-Wasco, David Wasco
Nominee Costume Design Mary Zophres
Nominee Sound Mildred Iatrou Morgan, Ai-Ling Lee, Steve A. Morrow, Andy Nelson

Academy Awards (14 Nominations)
Nominee Best Director Damien Chazelle
Nominee Best Movie
Nominee Best Actor Ryan Gosling
Nominee Best Actress Emma Stone
Nominee Best Cinematographer Linus Sandgren
Nominee Best Score Justin Hurwitz
Nominee Best Song Audition
Nominee Best Song City of Stars
Nominee Best Original Screenplay
Nominee Best Sound Mixing
Nominee Best Sound Editing
Nominee Best Costume Design
Nominee Best Production Design
Nominee Best Film Editing

fl9p3yq.png

"Another Day Of Sun” - La La Land Cast
"Someone In The Crowd" - Emma Stone, Callie Hernandez, Sonoya Mizuno, Jessica Rothe
"Mia & Sebastian’s Theme” - Justin Hurwitz
"A Lovely Night” - Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone
"Herman’s Habit” - Justin Hurwitz
"City of Stars” - Ryan Gosling
"Planetarium” - Justin Hurwitz
"Summer Montage / Madeline” - Justin Hurwitz
"City of Stars” - Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone
"Start A Fire” - John Legend
"Engagement Party” - Justin Hurwitz
“Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” - Emma Stone
"Epilogue" - Justin Hurwitz
“The End” - Justin Hurwitz
"City of Stars (Humming)” - Justin Hurwitz featuring Emma Stone

Almost all of the songs are instant classics and are fun to sing.
I highly recommend picking up the soundtrack.

mRusk9l.png

- Originally casted leads were Miles Teller and Emma Watson
- Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone sang and danced their roles
- Gosling learned to play the piano for the role
- John Legend learned to play the guitar for the role
- This is the third movie with Stone and Gosling together
- This is also the third movie with Justin Hurwitz and Damien Chazelle
- Hurwitz and Chazelle were college roommates at Harvard
- Filmed in CinemaScope (2.55:1)
- Chazelle attempted to do every shot in one take
- The title has a double meaning implying Los Angeles and the dreamworld the characters live in

It's amazing. Watch it.

Also, I like Chazelle's penchant for jazz because his passion for it is infectious. Seriously, I've been listening to jazz records for the first time in years because of how much of his love for it shows through this movie.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Whiplash was incredible, and I love Gosling; so yeah, pretty excited!

Originally casted leads were Miles Teller and Emma Watson

I feel like that would have been a more interesting film but the only reason this is getting buzz with the non-film buff crowd is because of their two new leads

Chazelle attempted to do every shot in one take

Good for you? thats kinda what you're supposed to do

Does this mean getting the shot done in one take or does this mean a long take where the shot is done without a cut?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I feel like that would have been a more interesting film but the only reason this is getting buzz with the non-film buff crowd is because of their two new leads

Does this mean getting the shot done in one take or does this mean a long take where the shot is done without a cut?

From the sounds of it, it seems that they tried to get a complete scene shot in one go which for a film like this with singing and dancing and a wide variety of props large and small, is not an easy thing to pull off.

Definitely the latter. Lotta long shots in the movie.

DeathyBoy

Banned
From the sounds of it, it seems that they tried to get a complete scene shot in one go which for a film like this with singing and dancing and a wide variety of props large and small, is not an easy thing to pull off.

It's also a throwback to old school musicals where they'd hold shits do you could see the actors were actually doing their own dancing and singing.

number11

I thought Whiplash was a much better movie.. but it's hard to find something to complain about La La Land. It's just a fun and charming movie with a great soundtrack.

shira

It's amazing. Watch it.

Also, I like Chazelle's penchant for jazz because his passion for it is infectious. Seriously, I've been listening to jazz records for the first time in years because of how much of his love for it shows through this movie.

Not sure if GAF will like a totally original musical, but I really like the soundtrack.

Sculli said he liked the visuals so it's win-win for me.

I mean you have George Lucas at the other end of the spectrum who does 20 takes of a scene and then digitally edits in the actor's lines

Ahh alright I was off then in my assumption. That's even more impressive honestly for a song and dance film.
Seriously, some of the musical interludes in the movie are really amazing to watch in terms of camera movement and planning.
Not sure if GAF will like a totally original musical, but I really like the soundtrack.

Sculli said he liked the visuals so it's win-win for me.
I can see how some people might react to the movie, especially in regards to the way the movie concludes. I don't want to say more till the film comes out, but if you buy into the world and the feel Chazelle is going for, you might get some whiplash as the movie nears its end.

The visuals though are gorgeous.

EDIT: Also, don't read the THR article about the movie because it spoils the ending. I mean, it says something in very broad terms but you can easily but 2 and 2 together if you read it, so avoid if you want to go in fresh.

shira

Great OT, thank you! Are the dates in the OT accurate? I thought I heard it was pushed back to January for the wide.

They just released all the TV spots today so I'm guessing Major markets wide for the 25th. I mean it's a perfect date/senior/adult movie.

Then again Rogue One, Moana, and Assassin's Creed

Akahige

I'm really looking forward to this movie and will probably enjoy it a lot. I typically love musicals.

This was still an incredibly entertaining read, though.
I like Richard Brody's writing quite a bit, it seems that the movie like Whiplash has a script that isn't quite up to the standards of it's direction & editing.
In fact, great modern musicals aren’t hard to find—for instance, the best movie of 2015, “Chi-Raq,” was a musical.
This though, makes me want to ignore every bit of his constructive criticism.

LOVED whiplash. one of the best movies of the last 5-10 years easily imo.

its going to be a good weekend. star wars tonight and la la land on saturday.

Gonna take a littl trip this weekend to see this and get some Christmas shopping done. I loved Whiplash so I can't wait! Stone and Gosling are easily two of the best actors around these days.

Akahige

wat

that script is amazing

there's a reason my professors used it in their class this quarter
I don't think the script is bad at all, laid a great foundation to work with, I just don't find it to be one of the strengths of the film.

I'm probably selling the writing short, though. The editing and the entire rhythm of the film blew me away, I am sure that the script attributed to that.

shira

This movie could not have survived a miscasting as grave as Miles Teller and Emma Watson in the lead roles

I mean, what
Beauty and the Beast is a musical and Gosling was rumored to play the Beast at one point.

Hollywood is as Hollywood does

Viewt

Saw this last night. It's my favorite movie of the year (my current count is 88). Amazing music and an incredible performance by Emma Stone. Gosling doesn't quite keep up, but he's still very good, and nails the comedic beats perfectly.

But holy shit the CAMERA in this movie. Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune once praised American Hustle for "being confident enough to move the fucking camera, and not try to compose scenes in the editing room." And that applies in spades to this film, as well. Chazelle is so absurdly confident in his composure, it's hard to believe this is his second (third if you count Guy & Madeline) film.

Class-A. Everyone should see it.

Azzanadra

I saw this a while ago at TIFF- great stuff, especially the last 10 minutes- all I can say is that it was completely mesmerizing.

Ohwiseone

Saw this at a preview screening on Tuesday night.

It is probably the best movie of 2016 (IMO). (NOTE: I haven't seen moonlight, or Manchester by the sea, so it could change).

But I loved the movie. Its a technical masterpiece, and probably one of the most beautifully shot films this year.
And that opening sequence is just jaw-dropping. One long take, with no visible cuts. It baffles me. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are perfect in the roles, and play off each other REALLY REALLY well.

The ending is also a complete gut-punch and is simply magnificent. There are so many moments that I can remember smiling to myself.
With everything that happens in that movie. "A Lovely Night" might be my favorite sequence I have seen this year.
Yeah, I really Loved the movie.

EDIT: The old fashion "Cinemascope" opening is awesome.

And with all of the musical sequences in One Take, long tracking shots, it makes them so much more impressive.

Chazelle is 2/2 so far. I really can't wait to see what he can do with a bigger budget, if he ever wants to take that jump.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Saw this last night. It's my favorite movie of the year (my current count is 88). Amazing music and an incredible performance by Emma Stone. Gosling doesn't quite keep up, but he's still very good, and nails the comedic beats perfectly.

But holy shit the CAMERA in this movie. Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune once praised American Hustle for "being confident enough to move the fucking camera, and not try to compose scenes in the editing room." And that applies in spades to this film, as well. Chazelle is so absurdly confident in his composure, it's hard to believe this is his second (third if you count Guy & Madeline) film.

Class-A. Everyone should see it.

That's great to hear. Using longer takes and creative and effective camera work are some of my favorites things when used by a talented and creative team of film makers. Maybe Alfonso Cuaron will gives us a musical with long one shot takes next year ;D haha

kingslunk

I saw this movie two days ago and I thought it was absolutely excellent. I'm not really a fan of musicals but this movie did such a fantastic job.

I think most of you will really enjoy it.

maxcriden

They just released all the TV spots today so I'm guessing Major markets wide for the 25th. I mean it's a perfect date/senior/adult movie.

Then again Rogue One, Moana, and Assassin's Creed

Awesome. Thank you. It's here in ATL so I'll take my wife on her b-day tomorrow!

Have you seen it already? It's great?

Strongly disliked Whiplash but this seems completely different....

Viewt

Awesome. Thank you. It's here in ATL so I'll take my wife on her b-day tomorrow!

Have you seen it already? It's great?

Strongly disliked Whiplash but this seems completely different....

It's a much sunnier (oh god pun maybe intended?) film than Whiplash. It's thematically similar in that it's about the passion it takes to be an artist, and how that affects the rest of your life, but doing this as a musical gives it a bounciness, a sincerity, and a positive vibe that's very much lacking in Whiplash.

It's maybe the perfect date movie.

shira

Oh shoot, is there nowhere in Toronto playing it tomorrow? I thought TIFF would have it if anywhere. Can't wait either way

Outside of press screenings I don't think there are any.
If you hear of one before xmas lemme know.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
"Someone in the crowd" is so damn catchy, I fucking love it.

This movie had me completely entranced.

Its a goddamn love letter to Los Angeles

~~~ENDING SPOILERS~~~
Ladies and Gentleman, the
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
of Musicals

So was that all Gosling on the Piano?
Either way, Stone and Gosling absolutely killed it. They deserve whatever awards will be coming their way

Its a toss up between this and Moonlight for movie of the year. Subbed to this thread

crustikid

Just finished.
As soon as the "That Thing You Do" actor came on all I could think about was placing him.

This and Cafe Society would make a good double feature.
The endings and film elements are very similar. Woody Allen's take is more cynical. But it's interesting to see the contrast between a young and old filmmaker.

I'd put this below Moonlight/Manchester, but still in the top three.

Possibly my favorite film of the year. A great classic tribute to old Hollywood musicals, with terrific performance, songs, and lots of great scenes. I think my favorite sequence was the observatory scene, since it was so creative, but the whole thing was terrific.

Ridley327

It's hitting Atlanta this weekend, but it looks like that Lionsgate is going to more or less push up the wide(ish) release to Xmas Day now, so I'll be checking it out then. Really excited for it, especially since it's heavily based on The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which everyone needs to see if they haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom