• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vinyl on track to be a $1bn industry in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty insane.

http://www.varietynewsclub.com/2017/01/vinyl-on-track-to-become-billion-dollar.html?m=1

If someone told you 10 years ago that Vinyl would become a billion-dollar industry by the end of 2017, what would you say? If the answer is somewhere along the lines of “no way,” you should probably check out the data compiled by Deloitte and reported by the Financial Times. It’s interesting to note that this number of $1 billion hasn’t been surpassed for vinyl ever since the ‘80s during its golden era.

As Paul Lee, head of technology, media, and telecoms at Deloitte, notes, “Consumers are choosing to buy something tangible and nostalgic and at a price point that provides record companies with significant revenues.”

Vinyl is expect to once again record double digit growth in 2017, which would make the seventh consecutive year this has happened.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Who here is contributing to this resurgence? I've never owned a record, and likely never will, but can certainly appreciate what it means to have something tangible. I'm sure many people find new songs they would have otherwise missed by listening to an album on a record versus digitally.

Got a turntable almost a year ago and have bought a ton. Maybe only like 15-20 new albums, but over 100 used old albums. Part of the fun is the hunt for old gems.

TheGrue

My 18-year-old kid is contributing to this. I owned records as a kid in the 70s and 80s, but then went tapes and CDS for portability and now am all digital with a streaming service.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
When the EMP goes off and you can't access your Spotify, I'll have a car battery hooked up to my system blasting tunes.

See ya'll in the wasteland.

Blueingreen

"Vinyl on track to be a $1bn industry in 2017"

Lol

It's funny how Vinyl outlasted CD's nothing can beat the artwork on a Vinyl sleeve, recently picked this gem up

4e0fd1c82e854b81434d7e6bfde094ae.jpg

Vinyl is just so aesthetically pleasant. It feels good to hold, it looks cool as home decoration, and there's a nice sense of security in owning music that isn't reliant on the survival of a digital streaming platform.

I've been collecting vinyl since ebay came about while I was in junior high. My first purchase was Led Zeppelin IV, and I've been addicted since. Pretty awesome to be getting a lot of stuff from the 90s put on vinyl for the first time thanks to this little resurgence.

I think a lot of it has to do with people who grew up in the post-napster world where music has become such a disposable commodity. A big enough portion of them have swung around and are digging the ritualistic nature of holding that big thing in their hands, and just putting it on and engaging with a whole album straight through.

Nimajneb

Makes sense. The only reason to buy music on a physical format these days is to have a nice looking collection on a shelf. Vinyl album covers look a hell of a lot nicer than CDs do.

I'm one of the culprits haha. I pay $10/mo for music streaming via Groove and I buy records from bands I like. Haven't actually bought a digital album or cd in a couple years now.

kris.

Banned
Excellent. All of my favorite bands press their new shit on vinyl, too. It rules. I love going to shows and picking up records.

physical media purchases will rise as net neutrality is gutted and internet becomes unusable/unaffordable for large swaths of the population.

Do Vinyl sound better than CDs?

No. Some of the older stuff is more dynamic because people weren't compressing the shit out of their albums before the loudness war. But, there's no physical reason they are superior.

But, personally my vinyl set up is my best setup. So by my own design and listening practices, it's the best. I mean, any other time I listen to music it's in my car or streaming. I imagine it's the same for a lot of people.

How do the vinyl collectors in here feel about the current trend of indie bands bringing back cassettes?

I was against it at first, but I've been coming around...

number11

I think a lot of it has to do with people who grew up in the post-napster world where music has become such a disposable commodity. A big enough portion of them have swung around and are digging the ritualistic nature of holding that big thing in their hands, and just putting it on and engaging with a whole album straight through.

Yep.. this pretty much describes why I collect vinyl. I stream most of my music, but I enjoy having a physical collection you can actually interact with.

Meowster

I love my turntable I got for Christmas and my mom and dad both donated to me over 200 of their old records. Most of them are in great condition too. I love it.

How do the vinyl collectors in here feel about the current trend of indie bands bringing back cassettes?

Whatever makes you happy. I think it's dumb. But, I also have about 500 records that I keep cleaned and in the best protective sleeves, in a space with UV protective film on the windows so the sun doesn't fade their jackets. So, who am I to judge?

MarionCB

It's the tangible aspect. One of my favourite artists released an album last week and I got it on both CD and vinyl. CD because it is unarguably a much better medium for sound information and much more versatile but vinyl also because of the tactile nature of playing it alongside the quite large artwork, both the slip and the inner booklets; the beautiful clear vinyl was a plus too. Hell, even the smell is nice.

We're talking about creative work; the way it is experienced and packaged can easily make a difference, if you have the money to splurge on it.

I don't get it, myself. (and I'm a dude who has about 1000 Laserdiscs in his house)

Vinyl sounds better. CDs sound better. Tapes are messy and annoying.

All that hissing.

jstripes

Banned

Fuck cassettes.

I grew up in the '80s. They have terrible sound quality, fast forward and rewind are a bitch, and it's no fun when they get eaten by the deck.

It's just a case of trendy young people saying "If records came back, why not tapes?"

NandoGip

Physical media is cool. Vinyl has awesome cover art. All my stuff is digital and the music is disposable.

I've been considering purchasing a vinyl player, can anyone recommend some inexpensive ones?

Fuck cassettes.

I grew up in the '80s. They have terrible sound quality, fast forward and rewind are a bitch, and it's no fun when they get eaten by the deck.

It's just a case of trendy young people saying "If records came back, why not tapes?"

These are probably the same people who think that because we have NES and SNES era throwback games that we should also has PSX era throwback games

myco666

Nostalgia? Nah. It is the only way to listen some of the bands I like.

Dumbest format ever but then again I own 10-20 of those so who am I to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom