• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to deal with Alt+Right employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDes

Firing someone because you disagree politically seems deeply wrong on some level

Depends on the political views they hold and the job they hold

As a teacher for instance I would actively work to get any colleague of mine fired if I knew they were supporters of the BNP as there is no way they can reconcile their racist views with the modern reality of the classroom.

It will get as toxic as you, as the boss, lets it get.

Do you have any indication that it's getting toxic? Have you spoken to other employees about the matter? If people feel uncomfortable with these two employees making their viewpoints known, tell those two employees to keep it out of the workplace.

Did you have a meeting where you explained the decision on the hijab? Have you perhaps considered letting people wear ballcaps?

Religion is a recognized protected class. Sports teams and regular hats are not and therefore are not equivalent and are not entitled to any recognized protection. It is not an employee's place to comment on or criticize religious attire.

But as a boss, there'd be one talk about how to handle multiple religious/cultures, then if it continues to be a problem, I'm posting a new job announcement.

Staf

Don't talk politics at work. I would never discuss politics with my employer or co-workers. Same goes with religion.

Dehnus

So I just got into a conversation with two of my employees that are trump supporters and while I have an issue with that it's not what bother me the most. When racism was brought up I mentioned that trump never disavowed the KKK and talked about the negativity it brings, they went straight to how "at least he doesn't condone and encourage the killing of cops."

Seriously WTF!? I had to walk away at this point. I don't know what else to say/do. Just mentioned that I won't bring up politics with them anymore.

"Do you know what freedom of enterprise is? Well let me phrase it in a term you must be familiar with by now. "YOU'RE FIRED!""

Then send them a card the next day "Just kidding, can't take a joke anymore huh? Just lockerroom talk... jeez" :p.

Must be Norwegian humor :D.

Ron Mexico

Been in management for the better part of the last 15 years. I consider myself fairly laid back and far more of a players' coach so to speak than a disciplinarian.

That said I have a strict rule of no politics and no religion talk in the office.

marrec

Banned
Religion is a recognized protected class. Sports teams and regular hats are not and therefore are not equivalent and are not entitled to any recognized protection. It is not an employee's place to comment on or criticize religious attire.

Lets not get crazy, I'm not saying that OP should let them wear ballcaps to belittle the hijab, I'm saying maybe OP should reconsider the dresscode based on employee feedback. If that's not possible because of the line of work then so be it.

But as a boss, there'd be one talk about how to handle multiple religious/cultures, then if it continues to be a problem, I'm posting a new job announcement.

This is what confuses me. OP seems like he can't handle the most basic parts of being a boss. Are people confused about why this employee gets to wear a hijab? Have a meeting and explain it. Are they still confused? Speak to them personally. Are they still confused? Start looking for a replacement cause they're either dumb as fuck or disingenuous about their intentions.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I talked a lot about this with my dad (he runs his own tax consulting business). His opinion is this: Let them have their own thoughts and opinions. But the second this interferes with business, either by treating clients different or by creating a bad atmosphere in the company, you act. That doesn't mean he sits there and hopes they fuck up, but should they do he will react immediately. That's the case for all employees though, not just alt-right ones (though thankfully we don't have any of those scumbags)

Monocle

Firing someone because you disagree politically seems deeply wrong on some level
I'm OK with the idea of firing bigots. Let's not mistake the support or rejection of basic human rights as political positions where both sides are valid. Normal well-adjusted civilized people don't support white supremacy.

Ask questions. I work with a ton of conservatives at my job and I ask questions. I figure if they want to openly express their opinions to me about Trump and such, they can prove their thesis. If you ask them enough questions, they usually stop.

People at our side of the office range from all kinds of POVs. A lot of disagreements, but nothing that gets to people. We roll with it and move on, or make jokes by the end of it and get back to work.

If people aren't being assholes, racists, homophobic etc, I don't get why people get so salty when others disagree. If you're one of the people that gets affected for whatever reason by someone having a different viewpoint than someone else, don't talk to them about said subject.

There is a guy at work who is dying to start political conversations with me because I think in his mind, I probably agree with him but he is completely wrong. I say virtually nothing and answer none of his questions. I offer up none of my opinions. I think he misinterprets my refusal to react to things I 100% disagree with, as me agreeing, instead of me finding him abhorrent and just wanting to limit conversation with him as much as possible.

Kthulhu

Don't discuss politics with people you are frequently around. That's what the internet is for.

If they become a problem then you deal with them.

Lets not get crazy, I'm not saying that OP should let them wear ballcaps to belittle the hijab, I'm saying maybe OP should reconsider the dresscode based on employee feedback. If that's not possible because of the line of work then so be it.

This is what confuses me. OP seems like he can't handle the most basic parts of being a boss. Are people confused about why this employee gets to wear a hijab? Have a meeting and explain it. Are they still confused? Speak to them personally. Are they still confused? Start looking for a replacement cause they're either dumb as fuck or disingenuous about their intentions.
I suppose that is fair. But I'm assuming a professional environment I guess. So a ballcap or similar wouldn't register as part of a professional or even business casual dress code.

Ekai

When one political party supports policies that actively harm millions, it's not a disagreement. It'd be wrong not to can their asses.
If they act on said hate, of course.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm OK with the idea of firing bigots. Let's not mistake the support or rejection of basic human rights as political positions where both sides are valid.

How low on the totem of bigotry does the firing become acceptable? Is being an open supporter of Trump and his stances/policies enough?

When one political party supports policies that actively harm millions, it's not a disagreement. It'd be wrong not to can their asses.

So you're saying being a Trump supporter is enough?

If those values and beliefs were causing strife and issues between other coworkers, I could see a case for firing them.

If the guy keeps to himself but has shitty opinions, its not justified.

If they are ACTUAL Alt-Right Trumpskis, then you have to stop talking to them as though you are trying to reason with them.

Alt-Right think very primitively, so when you try to reason with them that just emboldens them to continue being assholes. If you want to actually make them stop, you have to match tit for tat and just talk to them with no respect whatsoever. Start saying shit like:

"You're a fucking idiot for believing in such dumbass conspiracy theories."

"Stop being such a whiney pussy every time black people protest. They have a right to protest and if you can't handle that then go move to Russia."

"Sorry asshole, but America is not your personal safe space from black and brown people."

"I'm sorry but it's hard to understand you when your mouth is stuffed with Trump's dick. I get that it's probably orange but you don't need to treat it like a fucking lollipop."

Things like that will defang them because it hurts them in their own shitty "language".

And when they inevitably complain about you talking to them in such a way, just respond with "I thought you dumbasses hated political correctness. Or does that only apply when it's you bitching about minorities like a fucking idiot?"

Monocle

How low on the totem of bigotry does the firing become acceptable? Is being an open supporter of Trump and his stances/policies enough?
Many of Trump's stances are racist, sexist, or xenophobic, so yeah. If you go around agreeing with Trump that Mexicans are rapists and Muslims are terrorists and Black Lives Matter is some sort of hate group or whatever, you should be invited to fuck off.

Kthulhu

No. If they aren't causing a problem then you leave them be.

I'm a progressive surrounded by right wingers at my office. Should I be fired because I don't fit it?

marrec

Banned
I suppose that is fair. But I'm assuming a professional environment I guess. So a ballcap or similar wouldn't register as part of a professional or even business casual dress code.

Yea in a customer facing office environment ballcaps are a little too casual, but maybe there's a bit of wiggle room in casual Fridays. Again, not to say that ballcaps = hijab (they don't) but to say "I'm listening to your feedback and providing a reasonable compromise", keeps employees happier.

Seriously WTF!? I had to walk away at this point. I don't know what else to say/do. Just mentioned that I won't bring up politics with them anymore.
Bingo.

You can't fire somebody for having political opinions, no matter how horrible those opinions are. Like holy shit.

When two of the nice older ladies I work with start talking politics, I just put on my headphones and pretend they are good people.

entremet

If they are ACTUAL Alt-Right Trumpskis, then you have to stop talking to them as though you are trying to reason with them.

Alt-Right think very primitively, so when you try to reason with them that just emboldens them to continue being assholes. If you want to actually make them stop, you have to match tit for tat and just talk to them with no respect whatsoever. Start saying shit like:

"You're a fucking idiot for believing in such dumbass conspiracy theories."

"Stop being such a whiney pussy every time black people protest. They have a right to protest and if you can't handle that then go move to Russia."

"Sorry asshole, but America is. It your personal safe space from black and brown people."

"I'm sorry but it's hard to understand you when your mouth is stuffed with Trump's dick. I get that it's probably orange but you don't need to treat it like a fucking lollipop."

Things like that will defang them because it hurts them in their own shitty "language".

And when they inevitably complain about you talking to them in such a way, just respond with "I thought you dumbasses hated political correctness. Or does that only apply when it's you bitching about minorities like a fucking idiot?"

Yep. Alt Right is a specific thing. They just sound like garden variety conservatives.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
No I know the legal standings. My concern is how toxic this thinking can be in a work environment, especially when many of my other employees are really young and some still in high school. We pride ourselves of being multicultural and it has already been brought up that we let one employee wear a Hijab* but won't let one wear a baseball cap.

*She actually stopped wearing it on her own in fear of her safety (my store is in a very red part of my state).

I think that's a case where you as a boss need to step in ASAP and make clear that those things aren't the same. Don't even let this become a discussion.

So you're saying being a Trump supporter is enough?

Since the topic title is about the alt-right I think literal neo nazis are an okay group to fire. If it's just some idiot conservative voting with the party... well then when they step the line in saying anything remotely bigoted they are getting reported.

This is dumb. As shitty as Republicans are you're not going to fire someone for supporting Trump. Enough hyperbole.

Don't discuss politics at work. Problem solved.

Wow. That's enough GAF for today.

Seriously. Fucking ridiculous.

Well yeah, but there is a difference between thinking Thor 2 is a good film and thinking BLM are a terrorist organisation.

I would stop being friends with the latter and not consider it a big loss.

Agreed. Personally I don't befriend coworkers often for reasons like this. I don't need people's opinions. Especially when said opinions can make me dislike them. Rather stay on task and not talk about it. It's irrelevant to the workday.

You say that as though the GOP doesn't have a bigoted platform and demonstrably harmful policies, lol.

Doesn't matter no one is firing someone because they support then GOP. Get out of the bubble you're in and back to reality.

When two of the nice older ladies I work with start talking politics, I just put on my headphones and pretend they are good people.

You. I like you.

Uneasy truce and avoidance of political talk with a repressed disdain for each other is as good as it's going to get, OP. Good luck.

Monocle

Agreed. Personally I don't befriend coworkers often for reasons like this. I don't need people's opinions. Especially when said opinions can make me dislike them. Rather stay on task and not talk about it. It's irrelevant to the workday.

Doesn't matter no one is firing someone because they support then GOP. Get out of the bubble you're in and back to reality.
That should depend on how they express their support. If they're all about fiscal conservatism or gun rights, who cares. If they have a problem working with minorities because them rapists are taking our jerbs, out with them.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Many of Trump's stances are racist, sexist, or xenophobic, so yeah.

That's unreasonable, this mindset would destroy the country quicker than Trump could ever hope to. If a Trump supporter had the same mindset as you in your bosses position you'd be fucked, and wrongfully so.

Since the topic title is about the alt-right I think literal neo nazis are an okay group to fire.

Nah, I still don't think so, unless they display racism, or are causing a disruption at the workplace.

hodgy100

Oh I wouldn't let it alter my working relationship with them. things would just be strictly professional.

Gutek

who the fuck is advocating for the killing of cops besides the same fringe that advocates for the killing of blacks?

get the hell out of here with this enabling shit.

"at least he didnt advocate for the killing of cops" is the same as saying "at least he didnt take his dick out and slap someone on camera".

Sure he technically didnt do that i guess, so he gets points for it? what? what kind of logic is that?

Wait? You don't remember when KilLiary yelled: KILL ALL COPS!

Kthulhu

That should depends on how they express their support. If they're all about fiscal conservatism or gun rights, who cares. If they have a problem working with minorities because them rapists are taking our jerbs, out with them.

The OP didn't suggest that was their co worker's views.

T.O.P

Banned
You could put a picture of Mussolini in my office and people wouldn't even notice or bat an eye, that's the kind of office i work in lol

Other than that they are fun people and working with them ain't bad at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom