• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's "colors" and deferred rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion there's only one thing more harmful to this industry than the ones that consider themselves hardcore gamers when in my opinion they should see themselves as hardcore techies or hardcore experiencers, and those are the "hardcore trendies" or in other words, people that blindly follow the "what's cool" trend without even knowing anything about the subject they're so "invested in".

One example of this is a huge part of the supposedly "graphics first" (I say supposedly because it should be expected from a "graphics first" player to at least know what "good tech" is) community of this forum, speaking about graphics in a way that clearly demonstrate that they don't understand what they're seeing.

One recent example of that is when in front of those pictures:
12510267324_abef78ac6d_b.jpg

ibx4ZLEegQTO7i.gif

Most of the graphics first posters say:
Those are "PS3/360" graphics in a more colourful style.

The logic behind those words it's of course the following one:
"The WiiU is as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3 so it can't accomplish, technically speaking, anything that those consoles couldn't do so everything good about a WiiU game is thanks to the artstyle and anything else".

No, those "colours" are there thanks to the game using a deferred engine, which allows for a ton of light sources to be used in the scene with a much smaller computational cost while at the same time increasing the bandwidth requirements (much bigger buffers).

There's one thing as important as hardware muscle, and this is hardware architecture, and in this regard the WiiU is much ahead of those past generation consoles.

Here, there's a comparison shot between the Xbox One version of MGS V and the Xbox 360 version of the same game:
iOJzJC7UVOpWJ.png

vs
ibauxc9d9FseUH.png

Our "graphics first" comunity here on neogaf should point that "both games are the same technically speaking" (at least in terms of lighting) but that "the Xbox One version has a more colourful style".
No, it's not "the colour", it's THE LIGHT SOURCES!

Of course, their claim in front of those shots wouldn't be that one because here their reasoning would be:
"The Xbox One is a generation ahead of the Xbox 360, so the differences between both versions of the game are due to the enhanced processing power of the One in comparison with its predecessor".

And it's at this point where I reach the conclusion that it doesn't matter how the game looks, for the vast majority of the "graphic first" community the only thing that matters is what the "trend" says it has to matter.

The tech (the engine) used behind Mario Kart is one of the most modern there has been out there, and it's more modern than a lot of cross-gen multiplatform games such as Tomb Raider Ultimate edition for example, even when TRU can of course push the edge beyond what's technically possible on WiiU (even using more modern approaches) thanks to the superior hardware capacity of the PS4/Xbox One.

That claim is also valid for the "1080p or die" crowd. Since now what's cool is "resolution" it's (at least) sad to see how in the vast majority of graphical comparisons the resolution seems to be the first and last thing that matters.
Not the amount of light sources, nor the framerate, nor the shader quality, nor anything besides resolution. One game is 1080p and the other one is only 900p? The rest doesn't matters, the winner is the one with higher resolution, period.

I'm against putting graphics above everything else, but for god's sake, if you chose to follow that criteria at least learn a thing or two about actual graphical technologies and don't limit your claims to what should only be said by the PR manager of a certain company trying to sell their products and not caring at all about gaming or technology.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Unfortunately it's not going to stop people slinging whatever shit is out there in order for their purchase to feel validated.

I think you're putting it a bit harshly, but I find it hard to disagree with you.

Of course, I'm not much of a techie, but the amount of emphasis on graphics that you often see on this forum is annoying to me. I understand that a lot of people are very interested in technology, and want the prettiest/most impressive looking games, but as you say, it seems like many people don't really KNOW about how it all works very well.

I'm not saying that you need to have a "gameplay first" mentality, but the amount of bickering about graphics compared to the amount of discussion about gameplay ideas and how it effects the experience seems lean towards the former quite a bit.

MYE

Some people just shrug these things as unimportant or not worthy of mention or praise because they know its pissing off someone else somewhere.
These are usually te same type who use PS4 as the benchmark for top of the line graphics and never set foot in a PC thread or acknowledge the existence of this significantly more powerful machine.
Ignore this particularly sad bunch.

Sails

Banned
Thanks for this, but if people aren't understanding this from the start then chances are they won't be reading that much text explanation to begin with. Sad, because I, too, am sick of people being uninformed and misleading about console hardware and HowShitWorks™

Antialias

You know Frostbite uses deferred rendering, right? It's just a technique. You could acheive the Nintendo art style with forward rendering if you wanted.

Monarch

Banned
Well, deferred rendering have been used in the PS360 gen, the first I can recall being Killzone 2 in 2009.
So what's your point ?

Gattsu25

Banned
Deferred Rendering isn't exactly a new innovation, you know? It was the reason why Dead Space's, Viva Pinata's, and GTA 4's lighting looked so impressive.

That said.. I'm curious about how many light sources are in the GIF you posted, OP.

SmokyDave

I'm not really sure what your problem is (other than your relentless need to generalize other gamers). Are you annoyed because people don't possess an adequate vocabulary to explain why they like what they like? Or are you annoyed because they don't value the same things you do?

Garou

The problem is that many people have no idea what they like until Digital Foundry tells them what to like.

The logic behind those words it's of course the following one:
"The WiiU is as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3 so it can't accomplish, technically speaking, anything that those consoles couldn't do so everything good about a WiiU game is thanks to the artstyle and anything else".

No, those "colours" are there thanks to the game using a deferred engine, which allows for a ton of light sources to be used in the scene with a much smaller computational cost while at the same time increasing the bandwidth requirements (much bigger buffers).

No, it's due to the former. That GIF you posted? There's only a single dir light on the scene (or, at least, the important parts of it) and could be rendered in an equivalent way w/ just forward lighting. Deferred lighting has been used extensively on the 360/PS3. Including the ones mentioned above, there's also the Uncharted games, inFamous 1/2, most of Insomniac's games, and a ton of others. It's the art style, dude.

This OP is bollocks...

Those colors are colors dude...

There's only like one or two light sources in that scene (with some additional emissive materials that clearly aren't acting as light sources as far as the renderer is concerned)...

I'm not really sure what your problem is (other than your relentless need to generalize other gamers). Are you annoyed because people don't possess an adequate vocabulary to explain why they like what they like? Or are you annoyed because they don't value the same things you do?

No it's just the people that pile on about graphics and 1080p don't actually know what they're necessarily talking about and so some are lead to believe there's parity between things when there really isn't.

Or accuse developers of being lazy for not being able to achieve parity.

Nothing wrong with a bit of education.

Edit: just nice of people to know about techniques used and its cost in general.

McFadge

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't deferred rendering been pushed by the industry for a little while now? I don't think deferred rendering alone makes Mario Kart 8's engine "one of the most modern there has been out there".

Also, though you brought up Tomb Raider as an example of an inferior engine (Crystal Engine), I believe it also uses deferred rendering: Source

aeolist

Banned
i'm pretty sure most engines out there use deferred rendering and have since the early ps360 days

it's the reason shitty post-process antialiasing has largely taken over from MSAA

wildfire

Banned

Point 1. He is specifically talking about people who emphasize graphics as the most appealing aspect of a game and the aspect that matters most in defining a game as better than another. He isn't generalizing.

Point 2. He's annoyed such people are ignorant of what they are talking about and when push comes to shove can't tell how the new consoles are graphically better than the older consoles besides resolution, and light sources (in a more obtuse way).

Point 3. He's annoyed that people who display a strong emphasis on talking about graphics have clearly very limited knowledge and don't learn about what they value so much to further discussion about graphics. He wants to see such people actually have a more intelligent discussion about what they are talking about instead of being fans at a stadium shouting rah rah sis boom bah.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't deferred rendering been pushed by the industry for a little while now? I don't think deferred rendering alone makes Mario Kart 8's engine "one of the most modern there has been out there".

Also, though you brought up Tomb Raider as an example of an inferior engine (Crystal Engine), I believe it also uses deferred rendering: Source

His point is that past gen consoles cannot do deferred as well as the WiiU, because they don't have as much cache (the famous 32MB of EDRAM).

Narroo

I can't really tell the difference between the 360 and xbox 1 screen shots. The Xbox 1 seems to be a bit brighter and that's it.

tipoo

Banned
Interesting idea. Longer version of what you said from the wiki:

Advantages

The primary advantage of deferred shading is the decoupling of scene geometry from lighting. Only one geometry pass is required and each light is only computed for those pixels that it actually affects. This gives the ability to render many lights in scene without significant performance-hit.[3] There are some other advantages claimed for the approach. These advantages may include the simpler management of complex lighting resources, ease of managing other complex shader resources and the simplification of the software rendering pipeline.
Disadvantages
One key disadvantage of deferred rendering is the inability to handle transparency within the algorithm, although this problem is a generic one in Z-buffered scenes and it tends to be handled by delaying and sorting the rendering of transparent portions of the scene.[4] Depth peeling can be used to achieve order-independent transparency in deferred rendering, but at the cost of additional batches and g-buffer size. Modern hardware, supporting DirectX 10 and later, is often capable of performing batches fast enough to maintain interactive frame rates. When order-independent transparency is desired (commonly for consumer applications) deferred shading is no less effective than forward shading using the same technique.
Another serious disadvantage is the difficulty with using multiple materials. It's possible to use many different materials, but it requires more data to be stored in the G-buffer, which is already quite large and eats up a large amount of the memory bandwidth.[5]
One more rather important disadvantage is that, due to separating the lighting stage from the geometric stage, hardware anti-aliasing does not produce correct results any more: although the first pass used when rendering the basic properties (diffuse, normal etc.) can use anti-aliasing, it's not until full lighting has been applied that anti-alias is needed. One of the usual techniques to overcome this limitation is using edge detection on the final image and then applying blur over the edges,[6] however recently more advanced post-process edge-smoothing techniques have been developed, such as MLAA[7] (used in Killzone 3 and Dragon Age 2, among others), FXAA[8] (used in Crysis 2, FEAR 3, Duke Nukem Forever), SRAA,[9] DLAA[10] (used in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II), post MSAA (used in Crysis 2 as default anti-aliasing solution). Although it is not an edge-smoothing technique, Temporal anti-aliasing (used in Halo Reach) can also help give edges a smoother appearance.[11] DirectX 10 introduced features allowing shaders to access individual samples in multisampled render targets (and depth buffers in version 10.1), making hardware anti-aliasing possible in deferred shading. These features also make it possible to correctly apply HDR luminance mapping to anti-aliased edges, where in earlier hardware any benefit of anti-aliasing may be lost, making this form of anti-aliasing desirable in any case.

Also
Use of the technique has increased in video games because of the control it enables in terms of using a large amount of dynamic lights and reducing the complexity of required shader instructions. Some examples of games using deferred lighting are:
Alan Wake
Assassin's Creed 3[13]
Bioshock Infinite[14]
Blur
Brink
Crackdown and Crackdown 2[15]
Crysis 2[16]
Dead Space,[17] Dead Space 2[18] and Dead Space 3[19]
Deus Ex: Human Revolution [20]
Dragon's Dogma [21]
Grand Theft Auto IV
Halo: Reach [22]
inFamous and inFamous 2
LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2[23]
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain[24]
Shift 2 UNLEASHED [25]
Red Dead Redemption
Resistance series[26]
Rochard
StarCraft II [27]
Uncharted and Uncharted 2[28]
Vanquish [29]

This OP is bollocks...

Those colors are colors dude...

There's only like one or two light sources in that scene (with some additional emissive materials that clearly aren't acting as light sources as far as the renderer is concerned)...

Seriously, is the OP sure he knows what he is talking about?

Deferred rendering has been around for ages... tons of last gen games use it (and I mean TONS), and the images in the OP concerning Mario Kart are not even evident of its advantages...

Gattsu25

Banned
His point is that past gen consoles cannot do deferred as well as the WiiU, because they don't have as much cache (the famous 32MB of EDRAM).

Then why does Dead Space 1 have a more impressive implementation of deferred lighting than anything in the OP?

It all comes down to the implementation choices and art style. Deferred lighting is not a secret sauce for a single 'last gen equivalent' console...it's used by all of them. It's hard to draw apples to oranges comparisons by comparing Ground Zeros on XB One vs Mario Kart on WiiU.

If someone can provide a direct comparison of a game on wii u, ps3, and 360 that uses deferred lighting, then we can directly compare them. Otherwise we're just talking about which style or implementation each poster prefers.

Edit: corrected typo.

Long story short, realistic graphics are the only measurement of power, anything colorful and cartoony is nothing worth noting. Basically.

No, none of those. I'm annoyed because I see people judging what's a good videogame or not following a criteria that they're unable to comprehend.

In other words, to see people that review a game based on its graphics saying that a deferred engine with tons of light sources is "the same" (technologically speaking) but with "more colorus" (as if it was as easy as to use a palette swap in order to replicate the same result) and then adding to it the "I don't pay 60 bucks for 2005 technologically advanced games" is what I'm criticizing. PERIOD.

No, none of those. I'm annoyed because I see people judging what's a good videogame or not following a criteria that they're unable to comprehend.

In other words, to see people that review a game based on its graphics saying that a deferred engine with tons of light sources is "the same" (technologically speaking) but with "more colorus" (as if it was as easy as to use a palette swap in order to replicate the same result) and then adding to it the "I don't pay 60 bucks for 2005 technologically advanced games" is what I'm criticizing. PERIOD.

Do people like that exist here? Do you have any posts?

Btw is doesn't matter what techniques Nintendo uses or any other company to achieve their graphical fidelity. At the end of the day people will judge the graphics of a game by what they see not knowing what techniques the dev used.

Newline

You really need to learn how to express yourself properly.
A single critical statement is no way to express your opinion either. You should try to explain to the OP why you think they haven't been able to express themselves in an appropriate manner. Reasoning is also useful, after all without reasoning a statement can come across as unnecessarily negative, rendering an otherwise helpful statement ineffective.

mclem

I worked on Sniper Elite for the original Xbox.

I implemented a deferred renderer for it.

(Admitedly, largely to counter poor culling rather than to allow scope for improved lighting, but the point is that it's not *that* complex to add in)

SmokyDave

It would be a lot easier to decipher if you'd quoted some quotes or named some names.

Ultimately, people know what they like. You can assume they're overlooking stuff in the things that don't impress them, or that they only like certain things because they read a buzzword somewhere, but that's just an assumption. People don't dig 1080p because it's the buzzword-du-jour, they dig 1080p because it has very real benefits that are apparent to the naked eye.

Gattsu25

Banned

I'm the same way with bokeh. People complain about a game having DOF and I have to dare listen to those Luddites equate bokeh blur techniques to gaussian blur.
It's obvious that they do not understand the visual superiority that bokeh introduces. Developers need to commit to a performance tradeoff and proper implementation exhibits a greater degree of ingenuity than standard blurs.

Yet people equate them all the same. Those fools!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom