• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rarest Game You Own?

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Suikoden II and the japanese SotN first print were pretty expensive.

Oh I don't doubt it. Those are some gems for sure. Was just referring to the FF's being common, but regardless, that is a solid collection. If I was stuck on an island and could only play what was pictured in your post, I wouldn't complain one bit. :p

ant1532

Banned
i recently sold it but I had Dragonball GT Final Bout, the original US release in the 90s. Its value diminished when it was rereleased in the 2000ss but its rarity still holds up.Also had first releases of Gitaroo Man, Rez, and Ico. Thats it i think though.

Jackano

Got Doshin the Giant for the 64DD just a few days ago (alongside the 64DD itself in fact).
The original packaging was pretty weird but nice nevertheless, with an extra layer for the plastic case.

beril

P3BN0.jpg

How about a boxed copy of Bionic Commando Rearmed. Maybe not all that rare in Poland, and probably not worth anything but I bet you didn't know it existed. I think there was a boxed version in Russia as well

beril

JUMbg.jpg

If it counts, I guess this unlicensed GBA cart would be the rarest game I own. Only 500 copies ever made, with 10 homebrew games on it, one of which I worked on

Keasar

Probably not rare at all, but I think few kept the large boxes for these.
AEVEh.jpg

Other then that, I think barely anything in my apartment is that rare.

Games I have that can be considered rare in my country (European versions) :

Tombi! (PSX) - complete.
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance (PS2) w/ Document of MGS2
Zelda : Twilight Princess (Gamecube) 2 copies (one opened and one still in the shrinkwrap)
Star Ocean Till The End of Time (PS2)
Shadow Hearts (PS2)
MGS : Special Missions (PSX)
Dark Chronicle (PS2)
Dragon Quest Dragon Quarter (PS2)

I also have 2 network adapters for PS2 which are extremely useful.

I hate it how certain games can become rare because of limited runs and whatnot. Editors should provide a way for customers to buy games directly from them. I had great difficulty finding MGS2 Substance (which I wanted to play so badly), Star Ocean and Shadow Hearts.
One argument for dematerialized sales, I guess.

P3BN0.jpg

How about a boxed copy of Bionic Commando Rearmed. Maybe not all that rare in Poland, and probably not worth anything but I bet you didn't know it existed. I think there was a boxed version in Russia as well

the fuck? where did you get that? does it come in ps3?

I guess technically these would be the rarest game-related things I own... Sorry for the shitty pictures, I'm horrible at this.

fgPiB.jpg

3 Sacred Treasures KI card, only available at Nintendo World. I also have a full collection of all cards available in NA at the moment, including the SDCC, E3 and PAX beta cards.

65ear.jpg

NYCC MVC3 shirt. I expect this is rare, but I don't really know.

aRJzN.jpg

Signed copy of NMH. My new prized gaming possession!
Although I'm sharing it with my boyfriend.

Sorry if this is OT, most of my rare games have been reprinted, dropping the value...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've sold off a lot of the rarer stuff I used to own, but currently I think it's Rakugaki Showtime for PS1 and Shantae for GBC. Haven't been able to sell either of them.

Rarest game I ever owned was Panorama Cotton for the Mega Drive. I paid about 27,500 yen for it and later sold it for over $325. Not a huge profit.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Hmm.. probably still sealed copies of Shenmue 2 and Jet Grind Radio for Dreamcast.

-KRS-

Terranigma SNES? Didn't know it was considered rare.

I have the big box version with the strategy guide included.

I don't think it is actually that rare. It's just that it fetches a nice price since a lot of people want it. It's the same situation as with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3, none of which are "rare" but both are really expensive compared to other games. I mean they're more rare than Super Mario World but not like... eh... hmm... why can't I think of any actually rare SNES games?

beril

the fuck? where did you get that? does it come in ps3?

No it was just the PC version that got a boxed release in a few countries
I got it while I was working at Grin

something I realised just now when looking at the box is that it seems to be distributed by CDProject (of The Whitcher fame)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't know what should be considered "rare" games, but i guess i still have the floppy disks of King Quest IV hiding somewhere?

I have a DVD edition of Freespace 2. It was a Euro only release as far as I'm aware. Truly rare.

I think I have a North American DVD of Freespace 2. It was a pack-in with one of my old computers.

edit: Might be Freespace 1 on DVD come to think of it. Never mind.

I own the SNES complete American copy of Chrono Trigger, and an unopened Japanese copy.

I own a copy (cartridge) of Earthbound.

Only 3 games that I truly consider rare in my collection.

BibiMaghoo

Probably not rare by Gaf standards, but...

PS1 Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
PS1 Tombi 2
WipeoutHD Retail Disc for PS3

bebester

Neo Member
I'm not much of a collector, but I picked up a couple uncommon games along the way.

Complete copy of Shantae (GBC)
Rez (PS2)
Ikaruga (GC)
Zelda Bonus Disk (GC)
Zelda Ocarina of Time + Master Guest (GC)

test_account

XP-39C²
Terranigma SNES? Didn't know it was considered rare.

I have the big box version with the strategy guide included.
The big box version is more common. I think that the game sold pretty well in Germany because there is no problem getting a copy with german text in the game (at least cart only, right now there is 50+ auctions on Ebay.de with Terranigma). But it is harder to find a scandinavian or australian copy with english text.

MVP '05 for PC, PS2. Not that rare, but it's the last MLB MVP game and the PC game used to run $70+ on used sites after Take2 nabbed the license and the community kept MVP PC running for years.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I don't really consider ANY of the games I own rare.

Expensive, maybe. But rare? Eh.

I have Shock Troopers, Blazing Star, and Magical Drop III for the Neo Geo AES. I'll post pictures when I'm at the crib.

faridmon

The EU version of Pheonix Wright or Final Fantasy Christal Chronicle is probably the rarest item I have at the moemnt.
I did own Baten Kaitos (PAL) which had a limited print, but my dad gave it away to my cousins.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
mysteria for sega saturn. don't know how rare it is exactly (or if its worth anything), but i know it was quickly relaunched as blazing heroes.

also, halo 3 limited signed by a large number of bungie staffers :)

Xeno_V

When it comes to games I am also not sure what's considered THAT rare, but if I had to go with something I 'd pick Castlevania SOTN limited edition (PAL) over some other games that also came to mind (Suikoden 2, most Squaresoft SNES RPGs etc).

Anyway, I think I 'll go with hardware for now. The japanese FF VII Crisis Core PSP Bundle was limited indeed, and although nothing special at least it has a nice box, which is definitely way better than that of its PAL counterpart.
ffpsp08.jpg

When it comes to games I am also not sure what's considered THAT rare, but if I had to go with something I 'd pick Castlevania SOTN limited edition (PAL) over some other games that also came to mind (Suikoden 2, most Squaresoft SNES RPGs etc).

Anyway, I think I 'll go with hardware for now. The japanese FF VII Crisis Core PSP Bundle was limited indeed, and although nothing special at least it has a nice box, which is definitely way better than that of its PAL counterpart.
ffpsp08.jpg

Oh god, I bought one of those 5 years ago for over $500. Wish you could see it's current state.

Edit: (HORRIBLE)

Mitsurux

I have a few things that could be considered rare (all US CIB)

Suikoden 2 (ps1)
Black Label Final Fantasy games (all of them 7, 8, 9 Tactics, then the 2 colletions and origins) - PS1
Luinar the Silver Star (PS1) (And player guide)
Lunar Eternal Blue Complete (PS1) (And Players guide)
Arc the Lad Colelction (PS1)

Dragon Force (Saturn)
Saturn Bomber man (Saturn)
Guardian Heroes (Saturn)
Winning Post (Saturn)

and a bunch of other... stuff

OmegaZero

Zone of The Enders: The 2nd Runner.
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

That's all I got. :/
I'm not even sure if they're that rare.

MrFortyFive

rare_games.jpg

I have some desirable ones for sure but these are a couple I'd consider rare. There are a couple I'm not too sure about like clayfighter 64 scultor's cut and PSO+ for the gamecube. I've since stopped collecting games for the most part. Too much stuff to try to keep and store and too much money being spent. Still, I'm not letting go of these. I didn't even know Bubble Bobble 2 was rare or valuable until a couple years ago. It was one of my favorite games as a kid.

killbox

for me, off the top of my head....

Neo Geo
ShockerTroopers 2nd squad
Mark of the Wolf US
Waku Waku 7
Metal Slug 3 Jpn

Saturn
Radiant Silvergun
Panzar Dragoon Saga

PSX
Vib Ribbon