• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One year after release, The Phantom Pain (PS4 console) won't stop haunting me.

Dawg

Last year, like so many others out there, I was very excited about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. So much that I did not just buy the game, I also bought the Japanese Collector's Edition and the Limited Edition PlayStation 4. Back then, I had no idea. I did not know. An innocent soul with too much money to spend. The world called for wetwork, I simply answered.

Unlike everything else I bought, I did not open the PlayStation 4 right away. I had no need for it. You could say I bought it as a backup console since my day 1 PlayStation 4 was getting more noisy and I just wanted a second console just in case. Also, I was mesmerized by Metal Gear and it was a LIMITED EDITION console! I was a different person back then. I still had hope. I still believed. I thought Metal Gear Solid V would be good. Words that kill.

Now let's return to the present. Today. Or, actually, several days ago. When I recently moved to a new house, I pulled the Limited Edition PlayStation 4 out of the dust. It was time to give Metal Gear a second chance. I was ready to forgive. I was ready to forget. It's been long enough. I connected the 'new' console to my TV and it was whisper quiet. It also looked good on my desk. I was satisfied.

But then I realized The Phantom Pain was not done with me yet. Chapter 3 was not the end of my pain, it was the beginning. My TV suddenly started to freeze for a split second. The audio would cut out. For no reason at all. Was this the wrath of Metal Gear? Or was it just a faulty HDMI cable? My friends suggested the latter. And so I replaced the cable. And the issue was gone. No more freezing and audio loss for a split second every now and then. This was the end.

Or so I thought. Today, it returned. The Phantom Pain is back. I'm using a brand new HDMI cable, but the pain is too deep. It still hurts. I'm fighting a losing battle. It's as if this console wants its revenge on me. For everything I said about Metal Gear Solid V. It knows I sent the game to hell and so this console wants to go even deeper.

I disconnected the console and plugged my old PlayStation 4 in again. It works without the freezing and distortion. No more HDMI issues. At least for now. The thing is: what do I do with the MGSV console? Does it truly suffer from The Phantom Pain? Should I throw it into the sea? Or should I make a diamond out of its ashes? Or wait and see if the issue will eventually also happen to my old PlayStation 4? Maybe it's the TV and not the console?!

I don't know anymore. Help me, GAF.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbt_sfSkn0

Wagram

If you finish the game it'll haunt you even worse, but in a different way.

Side Note: My MGS4 PS3 is still truckin.

Chinner

Banned
It's okay dawg, my limited edition MGSV console was stolen.

Now I truly know the feeling that is the phantom pain. Every time look at my TV there is an empty spot which the PS4 filled. They say the phantom pain is a feeling of something that was once there, but is now gone. I feel that pain every moment of every day, while my PS4 is now stolen to a new home, I am left here to suffer.

yuraya

JAy5T6P.gif

Kindekuma

Banned
OH NO
NOT ME
YOUR PS4 LOST CONTROL
YOU'RE FACE TO FACE WITH THE DEFECTIVE PS4

Dawg please return Chinner's PS4.

Oh my. That was deep. My condolences OP, but I saw this in Reddit, maybe its worth a try.

Try turning these off:
Settings/Sound and Screen/Video Output Settings/"Deep Color Output"
Settings/System/"Enable HDCP"

Today in Overwatch's main menu my Phantom Pain console decided to fooling me I to believing I had stuck pixels on my 6 month old tv.

2 lines of 4 or 5 pixels frozen Gray.

After freaking out and switching the tv off and on and seeing the offending pixels still present.
I change to the built-in Netflix app and it disappeared thank God so it's not the tv.

Back to Overwatch and they are still there.
I got rid of them after going to the dash and back.

Damn you Kojima!

SJRB

Gold Member
Put it next to your collector's edition prosthetic arm as a shrine for the downfall of one of the most amazing videogame franchises ever, so you can look at it every day and curse Konami for what they've done to you. To us all.

FUCK MGSV.

Iorv3th

But did you try it with one of those Monster Gold Cables? Go ahead and try one of those. See how drawn out this phantom pain can get.

Top Bottom