• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xhaner5

Neo Member
About the width - I missed this one as well - and another one coming.

6mnALEL.png

EDIT: Standby I found something weird ... in the reveal trailer

EVH

The edges of the cover are too close to the ports to be a normal usb, at least if you want to use it with every device you own.

You can clearly see two deeper holes on either side of the plug.

USB isn't like that last I checked.

Those are the usual rectangle USB ports. Stop confusing people and creating misinformation.

Edit: Blah, this is the orange port drama again. Don't even know why I searched for the pic and all. That suplemental device schematics is hilarious.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Something that would be cool:

Buying a second dock to hook up to another TV in your house. You can just play on another TV by throwing the tablet into it.

But why? Why not just move the dock. That's like buying another console for another tv, unless these docks really are dirt cheap. I can understand buying multiple tablets separately but that makes this makes less sense to me

Jimrpg

hey guys, Emily rogers put the first of her two-part thoughts on the Switch up, and this stood out to me:

(original bold emphasis, square-bracketed comment my own)

She seems to think the system will be pricey. Do you guys think this is related to the manufacturing costs for Nintendo or rather for the consumer cost as well (I know they are very often directly related, but maybe she means Nintendo is already taking a hit on the costs for producing this system)?

Yep I think its going to be pricey. It would have been far cheaper if they had non detachable controllers, no dock, and no joycon grip. Like a handheld, with a tv out cable.

I personally would have preferred - a handheld with a 4.7" screen like the bottom half of a 3DS with non-detachable controls with a dock to TV. A 540p screen would be as good as a Vita and would not need as much CPU/GPU processing power thereby increasing battery life. This would then scale well to 1080p TVs.

I think 720p you're talking PS3/360 quality and that may not be ready for portability yet.

But why? Why not just move the dock. That's like buying another console for another tv, unless these docks really are dirt cheap. I can understand buying multiple tablets separately but that makes this makes less sense to me

A convenience thing. Messing around with plugs, cables, dragging a whole console around, compared to sliding it out of one dock into another.

Well, the docks probably won't be more than 30-40 bucks. They only provide power and a HDMI port.

Those are the usual rectangle USB ports. Stop confusing people and creating misinformation.

Edit: Blah, this is the orange port drama again. Don't even know why I searched for the pic and all.

Don't shut down discussion, this is a new console with a lot of questions unanswered.

It could very well be USB but no high res photos clearly show the lettering and no angles in the photos released clearly show the connection type.

13ruce

Banned
hey guys, Emily rogers put the first of her two-part thoughts on the Switch up, and this stood out to me:

She seems to think the system will be pricey. Do you guys think this is related to the manufacturing costs for Nintendo or rather for the consumer cost as well (I know they are very often directly related, but maybe she means Nintendo is already taking a hit on the costs for producing this system)?

I think it they will do a bundle with the pro controller and a game (probably Zelda) and a bundle without those. My guess is 350 for the bundle and 250-299 for only the console.

EVH

Don't shut down discussion, this is a new console with a lot of questions unanswered.

It could very well be USB but no high res photos clearly show the lettering and no angles in the photos released clearly show the connection type.

Did you even click on the picture I posted? Because that's high res as fuck. And this is shutting down nonsense, not discussion. You guys are creating misteries all around and just making stuff up. It is ridiculous to get into one of this threads and just read misinformation and not the actual information we got.

If this thing had a Souls trilogy...lawd.

Orbital said xb1 and ps4 ports should be no problem.

The GF is putting my name down at Gamestop as we speak.

Kathian

Banned

Its both. Nintendo can't afford to add the Pro controller in at the price the system needs to be to compete at the consumer side.

ozfunghi

Eh, if you have two tv's in the house and enjoy playing on tv more than on a small screen? Obviously you want to play on the big family tv, but when others are using that, you can just take the Switch to another tv in another room.

Do you mean Osiris? And yeah, I'd easily buy the Souls Trilogy if it was ported... lawd, if they brought Bloodborne onto the system, day fucking one. Highly unlikely though.

ozfunghi

OsirisBlack was the one that said the hardware is capable of XBO/PS4 ports.

Yeah and that thing in the middle of the joycon grip is not just another battery for the joycons. It has some other hidden features for sure.

I've been speculating on it being a trackpad.

Übermatik;221085732 said:
Do you mean Osiris? And yeah, I'd easily buy the Souls Trilogy if it was ported... lawd, if they brought Bloodborne onto the system, day fucking one. Highly unlikely though.

C'mon, son.

You know BB aint happening and why lol.

Thx for the correction guys. Apologies Orbital.

El Topo

So strange that multiple news outlets are saying the reception was lukewarm. When all I see is hype for the thing. I suppose we are looking at different demographics.

The reaction definitely wasn't mindblowing outside of enthusiast circles. They showed the concept and nothing else, so there's really not much reason for them to be excited.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Nintendo have already said that they plan to sell this to the consumer on a lower price range (likely learning the mistables from the 3DS and Wii U), it will likely be fairly expensive to produce thus I don't expect them to be having much of a profit margin on it, thus they will ditch everything that isn't neccesarily (keep in mind this is a company that ships 3DS' without a charger).

Zedark

Nintendo have already said that they plan to sell this to the consumer on a lower price range (likely learning the mistables from the 3DS and Wii U), it will likely be fairly expensive to produce thus I don't expect them to be having much of a profit margin on it, thus they will ditch everything that isn't neccesarily (keep in mind this is a company that ships 3DS' without a charger).

Yeah, I've heard people say this before, but haven't seen that said myself. Do you know where I can find this piece of info?

fastmower

Übermatik;221085732 said:
By unlikely, you mean impossible, right?

LordKano

My prices expectations are : Dock + Tablet + Joy-cons + a random launch game for 299$
Add 70$ more for a bundle with Zelda Breath of the Wild and a Pro controller.

sanstesy

The reaction definitely wasn't mindblowing outside of enthusiast circles. They showed the concept and nothing else, so there's really not much reason for them to be excited.

You got it the wrong way around. The enthusiast circles are not as excited about it because Nintendo hasn't shown more niche & hardcore software for it that appeals to people like on NeoGAF.

Outside of enthusiast circles, people get impressed by attractive hardware/hardware concepts first and not by software or smaller details. Which is also why the reveal video has seen such huge success.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
My prices expectations are : Dock + Tablet + Joy-cons + a random launch game for 299$
Add 70$ more for a bundle with Zelda Breath of the Wild and a Pro controller.

I honestly expect at least one Sku below $300, since that's the price wii u launchd and flaundered at and i don't expect they want to risk repeating that.

ASIS

Outside of the enthusiastic circle very few people actually care about gaming as a whole though. And overall the reveal may not have been mind blowing but it was certainly above "underwhelming" too.
You know about the deep connection between CNBC and Microsoft? Seems most Media reception has been good.
But of course it'saconspiracy.jpg

But in all seriousness I noticed this on multiple major publications. They are reporting what they, I don't think there's any malice behind it. The only problem is that I don't see it.

oti

Banned
A wii remote style joy con with an IR sensor for compatibility with wii virtual console games would be cool. The existing joy cons already mirror the nunchuck well with its button layout. (or they could put in compatibility for the existing wii remote down the line)

Nintendo can make a large margin on these accessories.

What if they made an official Nintendo TCG and release a card scanner Joy-Con and then sell you REAL BOSSTER PACKS WITH CARDS ¥¥¥€€€€¥¥€

Rodin

So strange that multiple news outlets are saying the reception was lukewarm. When all I see is hype for the thing. I suppose we are looking at different demographics.

Multiple? Who reported that aside from cnbc?

Also lukewarm reception must be why the reveal trailer is almost at 15 million views in two days rotfl

Zedark

Is there any chance the base unit will have a dvd rom unit and support WiiU games?

I know... I know...

WiiU disc game support has already been shot down, digital support is still up in the air. I doubt there'll be support for dvds or bluray, doesn't look like the dock does anything like that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Buying a second dock to hook up to another TV in your house. You can just play on another TV by throwing the tablet into it.

There should be a full package with everything included, but I agree that they definitely need to sell the dock and the system separately, I only want it for the portable aspect anyway, so if I can buy a single system and pay slightly less, that'd make me a happy man.

oti

Banned
Multiple? Who reported that aside from cnbc?

Also lukewarm reception must be why the reveal trailer is almost at 15 million views in two days rotfl

Do you hear Nintendo? Doesn't matter the worth of your company went down after the reveal, you have almost 15 million views on YouTube!

Look, I get what you're saying but by all means, the reception has been lukewarm. Almost every reaction to a reveal is lukewarm. Reaction to every iPhone reveal is lukewarm, doesn't mean it won't sell well in the end. Not saying Switch is like an iPhone, just to make a point.

Shahadan

Is there any chance the base unit will have a dvd rom unit and support WiiU games?

I know... I know...

Probably zero chance. They'd need an emulator to run games and the streaming chip to make the wii u gamepad even function. That seems a bit much effort and money for the small number of games worth it.

It'll be easier to port them one at a time :lol:

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Something else that would be cool:

Bringing your Switch to a friend, plugging it into his dock and playing your games together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom