• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam DualShock 4 support is now live

Redrum_82

I was tempted to buy a steam controller on the last round of sales but I eventually decided not to.

I think I gonna buy a DS4 instead, as soon as they release the update (you know, Valve time ...)

Recent confirmations from Valve today:

- This works wired, or wirelessly. It works wirelessly both with and WITHOUT the new PS4 dongle. This is because Valve wrote their own driver to communicate with it directly.

- I asked about the conflicting definitions of "full controller support" and they acknowledge that the two standards are confusing and they're gonna have to work out some way to reconcile it and make clearer messaging.

- The PS4 controller can indeed be used in "legacy" mode just like the steam controller itself, where games that don't support it through the native steam controller API will still be able to benefit from fallback steam controller-y stuff like radial menus, emulated mouse & keyboard & xinput events, etc. It is basically exactly like a steam controller in every way except for the physical differences of the devices themselves. Again, this is possible because Valve has written their own low-level driver for the device. This confirmation from Valve directly contradicts the assumptions made by the guy in this video that's going around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acdvR4URTjc (to be fair to him, it was a reasonable assumption to make given the available data and it required a clarification from Valve to be sure).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
- I asked about the conflicting definitions of "full controller support" and they acknowledge that the two standards are confusing and they're gonna have to work out some way to reconcile it and make clearer messaging.

The easiest solution would be to just add a separate Steam Controller-specific category and leave "Full controller support" as-is.

Does this include headset audio support on the DS4 with generic Bluetooth adapters? Currently the only way to get headset audio is with the official Sony Bluetooth dongle.

Any idea if there's Nintendo support on the roadmap? Plenty of would be interested in Wii U Pro or GameCube (via official Nintendo USB adapter) controller support as well.

Durante

- The PS4 controller can indeed be used in "legacy" mode just like the steam controller itself, where games that don't support it through the native steam controller API will still be able to benefit from fallback steam controller-y stuff like radial menus, emulated mouse & keyboard & xinput events, etc. It is basically exactly like a steam controller in every way except for the physical differences of the devices themselves.
That's what I expected, thanks for the confirmation.

I forgot to ask about the Headset. Dev Days is over and I'm on my way home now, so I guess we'll find out when it ships.

However, I did get confirmation on the light bar. You will be able to turn it off at the very least. I'm not sure what sort of fine grained control you do or don't have over the color/brightness.

Bl@de

- The PS4 controller can indeed be used in "legacy" mode just like the steam controller itself, where games that don't support it through the native steam controller API will still be able to benefit from fallback steam controller-y stuff like radial menus, emulated mouse & keyboard & xinput events, etc. It is basically exactly like a steam controller in every way except for the physical differences of the devices themselves. Again, this is possible because Valve has written their own low-level driver for the device.

This is just fantastic. I'll take this improvement of software/hardware over any game they could ever make.

Does this include headset audio support on the DS4 with generic Bluetooth adapters? Currently the only way to get headset audio is with the official Sony Bluetooth dongle.

Any idea if there's Nintendo support on the roadmap? Plenty of would be interested in Wii U Pro or GameCube (via official Nintendo USB adapter) controller support as well.
Seriously? Unless you used it for Nintendo made games designed for the GC that controller would prove incredibly unfit to play any modern game on it.

Yes. I get it. The GC controller is GOAT for Smash and yes it felt great to play Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker on it but for anything beyond a GC game how can that controller and its lack of clickable sticks, select button, and a fourth shoulder button (that's 4 buttons less that PS4/X1 for those keeping count) would make contemporary gameplay impossible.

Hell, even for retro PC gaming it'd suck. That tiny Dpad sucks for 2D games too.

For what it's worth, I explicitly asked them if they would add support for specific controller models, and all of the devices you folks have mentioned in this thread were on the list (and some you haven't yet mentioned).

I'm not allowed to speak for Valve so I can't tell you what they said... but I can say that they are aware that there is demand for lots of different controller models like these. So we'll have to see what Valve announces in the coming months; don't get your hopes up too far for anything exotic, but I'm personally pretty excited.

Seriously? Unless you used it for Nintendo made games designed for the GC that controller would prove incredibly unfit to play any modern game on it.

Yes. I get it. The GC controller is GOAT for Smash and yes it felt great to play Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker on it but for anything beyond a GC game how can that controller and its lack of clickable sticks, select button, and a fourth shoulder button (that's 4 buttons less that PS4/X1 for those keeping count) would make contemporary gameplay impossible.

Hell, even for retro PC gaming it'd suck. That tiny Dpad sucks for 2D games too.

True enough.

The Wii U Pro controller does kick ass though. Too bad about the digital triggers though.

anybody have a sense of when this will go live? Just re-installed windows and wondering if I need to re-download DS4 Windows as well.

GazzaGSi

Sorry for my complete lack of understanding here, I've not long put together a reasonably decent pc rig to run afew games but some games have no support for controllers in the key binding options, will this Steam update let me play those games with a controller? TIA.

Sorry for my complete lack of understanding here, I've not long put together a reasonably decent pc rig to run afew games but some games have no support for controllers in the key binding options, will this Steam update let me play those games with a controller? TIA.

Yes, you can play games that don't support controllers right now if you have a Steam Controller. This will add the same functionality to the DS4.

Mailbox

Basically, yes.
You'll have to do the key bindings through the steam interface not the game settings, though. (You'll figure it out when the update hits)
You will be able to bind pc keyboard and mouse options to the DS4 controller much the same way you can with the current steam controller. Just know that if you do, expect to do lots of experimenting and fine tuning to get it to be just the way you want :)

It can be daunting though. Lots of options and lots of tweaks. Not the most accessible thing in the world. Best bet is to use a community binding (when they become available) and tweak it to how you like it.

(Which, just as an fyi, when you get the controls just right on a game, its bliss. Valkyria Chronicles on my steam controller now is next level good :3 )

Do we know when this is happening? Waiting on this to sell my Xbox one.

We don't, but don't expect this to work on games like Forza or Gears4. As far as I know, you can't link those games to steam as "non-steam games" which is required for games not native to steam for this to work.

GazzaGSi

Yes, you can play games that don't support controllers right now if you have a Steam Controller. This will add the same functionality to the DS4.

Basically, yes.
You'll have to do the key bindings through the steam interface not the game settings, though. (You'll figure it out when the update hits)
You will be able to bind pc keyboard and mouse options to the DS4 controller much the same way you can with the current steam controller. Just know that if you do, expect to do lots of experimenting and fine tuning to get it to be just the way you want :)

It can be daunting though. Lots of options and lots of tweaks. Not the most accessible thing in the world. Best bet is to use a community binding (when they become available) and tweak it to how you like it.

(Which, just as an fyi, when you get the controls just right on a game, its bliss. Valkyria Chronicles on my steam controller now is next level good :3 )

Fantastic thanks!

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah, it is.

I'm not talking hypotheticals here. As an example, the input system in Homeworld 2 was written to be event based because Homeworld used polling and could suffer from this. Also many games run their simulations at a fixed rate that can be much lower than the display rate. So even if you're running at a solid 60 and polling once a frame you're going to have to store any button presses and such for your next simulation tick... effectively making you write a less robust event based system on top of the polling system. Hell, you see it already being done right in the slides where the presenter adds JustPressed and JustReleased which is something pretty much everyone is going to need.

Why not have a robust event based system with a simplified polling based system on top (especially since the underlying OS is probably serving data event based from the HID) instead of making every developer re-invent the wheel in less robust manner than an properly designed API would provide.

Also, I know how XInput works, Microsoft isn't really a company people look to for examples of good API design.

If this is such a huge problem for you, just perform polling on its own thread and throw your own events. What you call reinventing the wheel amounts to, what, a few days work at most? I can wrap the input polling into an event based implementation in like a night's worth of work.

- This works wired, or wirelessly. It works wirelessly both with and WITHOUT the new PS4 dongle. This is because Valve wrote their own driver to communicate with it directly.

- The PS4 controller can indeed be used in "legacy" mode just like the steam controller itself, where games that don't support it through the native steam controller API will still be able to benefit from fallback steam controller-y stuff like radial menus, emulated mouse & keyboard & xinput events, etc. It is basically exactly like a steam controller in every way except for the physical differences of the devices themselves. Again, this is possible because Valve has written their own low-level driver for the device. This confirmation from Valve directly contradicts the assumptions made by the guy in this video that's going around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acdvR4URTjc (to be fair to him, it was a reasonable assumption to make given the available data and it required a clarification from Valve to be sure).
This is fking excellent

Mailbox

just note that the vast majority of games on steam don't use the steam controller api.
Hopefully more games in the future will, but I probably wouldn't expect Indies to adapt it nearly as well as AAA will in the coming years.

Banned
just note that the vast majority of games on steam don't use the steam controller api.
Hopefully more games in the future will, but I probably wouldn't expect Indies to adapt it nearly as well as AAA will in the coming years.
Unsold.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?

My unnecessary purchase has been vindicated! Can't wait for this to hit so I can get back to Witcher 3.

DieH@rd

Banned
The only thing that remains is for them to figure out how to implement direct audio streaming to DS4 gamepad. I would very much like to use plug my headphones in DS4 while playing Steam games.

LordRaptor

Also, I know how XInput works, Microsoft isn't really a company people look to for examples of good API design.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it wouldn't be the first time API choices are made based on what people are familiar with rather than what works best.

coopolon

I've been playing witcher 3 with a wireless ds4 for months. Can someone explain to me how this update will make it better?

You could program it so touching the right side of the touch pad is quick save and the left is quick load.

Or you could have it so that holding down a trigger plus a face button activated he leveled up sign rather than the way they work now (been awhile since I played Witcher 3 so I might have the sign buttons slightly off).

Just two quick very easy examples.

MazeHaze

Banned
You could program it so touching the right side of the touch pad is quick save and the left is quick load.

Or you could have it so that holding down a trigger plus a face button activated he leveled up sign rather than the way they work now (been awhile since I played Witcher 3 so I might have the sign buttons slightly off).

Just two quick very easy examples.

Oh neat. Thanks.

We don't, but don't expect this to work on games like Forza or Gears4. As far as I know, you can't link those games to steam as "non-steam games" which is required for games not native to steam for this to work.
UWP Hook might be worth a look, I have all my UWP games listed in Steam thanks to that handy program.

Has there been any hint of a release date on this yet? I love my Steam controller, but for some games I find the dual analogs just work better.

Nabs

Steam Beta is out now.

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791433918461#announcements/detail/8346832564

• Added Steam Configurator support for PS4 Dual Shock Controller. Note that this is a beta release. Enable in Big Picture settings Add/Test Controller settings. When enabled, PS4 controllers will have access to the same sort of customization/configuration support as Steam Controllers, including native API support.
  • PS4 Controllers using this system can map the trackpad, gyro, buttons, etc. to keyboard, mouse, or x-input outputs and can make use of action sets, touch menus, radial menus, and so forth.
  • Added New Mode – Joystick Mouse. This is a joystick based mouse control useful for stick based controllers.
  • Added default PS4 templates.
  • Added software calibration for non-Steam controller based IMUs to counter for gyro drift.
  • Configuration Browser can now be toggled to show all available controller types rather than the default of the in-use controller type.
  • Configurations can now be marked as “Unique” to a specific controller. This configuration will only be applied to that controller for that user’s account. By default, all controllers of a specific type will share a configuration unless marked as Unique.
  • Big Picture now supports PS4 controller glyphs when using Steam Configurator support.

Kumubou

A bunch of these QOL changes to Steam Controller are great. Being able to control the cursor with the d-pad/hat switch is great for setups set up for arcade sticks (like the tiny little box I have set up for a bunch of fighting games and shmups) and being able to flag setups as unique will be great when you have a lot of hardware being swapped in and out (that should be a huge help when running events).

Unai

Amazing! I'm already downloading the update. I'm manly interested in knowing how well the gyro works for aiming in third person games like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls.

Edit: Wow, it works much better than the mouse implementation in DS4Windows.

praise be to GabeN, the king of controllers

shaq.gif

Bizzquik

Any timeframe on when this update is coming for Xbox controllers...?

The ability to break free from the usual XPadder/MotionJoy profiles to get full in-game prompts via API and native macro-command support could be game-changing for me.

Nzyme32

What does this mean?

You are going to be asking this for a whole host of the Steam Controller (and PS4 Controller) configs, bindings and features.

In this case, it is setting the gyro to activate on left trigger pull while the left trigger is also bound to an action. Typically for a shooter, left trigger is aim, so this means that aiming will activate the gyro for far more precise and speedy aiming than a stick can do.

Top Bottom