• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

GHG

Gold Member
All of the hyperbole in this thread is killing me.

The game looks awful all of a sudden now?

Nobody even knew or noticed this before today, and for all intents and purposes, everyone was saying the game looked awesome and how it was one of the, if not the, best looking next gen title... Now we are inspecting 100x zoomed in images looking for artifacts?

Like seriously?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I meant the games that had the kind of weird pixel looking just like Shadowfall MP.

GJt15qH.png

Resistance 3 does it, I believe. It used the MSAA samples to create a 720p framebuffer despite being at a much lower res.

Nobody even knew or noticed this before today, and for all intents and purposes, everyone was saying the game looked awesome and how it was one of the, if not the, best looking next gen title...

Like seriously?

Not many people praise the MP visuals. The SP is still fucking gorgeous.

Where are all the people who COULD TELL the difference between resolutions now?

Again there were many people who instantly spotted the image was blurrier in the MP but they assumed it was due to FXAA instead of the res because of the info given

They were right in the end but just had the wrong reason

jedimike

Most people can't tell the exact difference in pixels but they knew something is wrong .
They will see a image and say this look blurry it can't be 1080p but they believe GG and went with AA instead .
Point being people were able to tell you something is wrong just like normal people do but they don't know the reason why until you tell them .
The lesson here would be people should trust there self instead of the devs when they though it was upscale .

I think you're missing his point. If you accept that people knew it was off, than regardless of why, the outrage should have generated a huge thread. His point is that resolution threads for XB1 games generate enormous amounts of attention yet KZ got a pass... Relatively speaking.

Lima

Nobody even knew or noticed this before today, and for all intents and purposes, everyone was saying the game looked awesome and how it was one of the, if not the, best looking next gen title...

Like seriously?

They were talking about the SP.

to be fair, I was trying to make a point when I originally posted them because I was wondering why the other screenshots in the thread looked so much better and I thought it may have been a capture issue

Yeah, I understand. I didn't mean awful like "you suck at taking pictures," but like "wow, does the game really look like that?"

So does the game look like that consistently in multiplayer (with the visible interlacing and artifacts)? Or is that just a somewhat rare thing for it to be that obvious?

sp3000

Suddenly the game looks awful all of a sudden now?

Like seriously?

Ryse was ripped apart for running at 900p, which is actually higher than this game

Double standard everywhere. At least Crytek had the courtesy to be honest.

iceatcs

I meant the games that had the kind of weird pixel looking just like Shadowfall MP (interlacing pixels).

GJt15qH.png

Thanks, I'll try looking for screenshots.

Finally I think I found out what is it - dithering
Cos Bad Company 2 remind me that it have big one like literally everywhere.

After all these months and so much focus on resolution, nobody noticed this.

Wait, so TitanFall beta is higher res than Killzone SF multiplayer? That is pretty funny.

Nobody even knew or noticed this before today, and for all intents and purposes, everyone was saying the game looked awesome and how it was one of the, if not the, best looking next gen title... Now we are inspecting 100x zoomed in images looking for artifacts?

Like seriously?

We'll we'd ask the people that regularly play the multiplayer but....

Chobel

No idea if sony quoted 1080p or 1080p native as i dont have the information in front of me.if its yhe later, then yes. full of shit i agree.

Yep they're quoted, in the first page of this thread

This means Sony lied

Then there’s the competitive multiplayer mode which, like the game’s campaign, runs at native 1080p and 60 fps.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013...ll-campaign-hands-on-new-multiplayer-footage/

VanWinkle

I think you're missing his point. If you accept that people knew it was off, than regardless of why, the outrage should have generated a huge thread. His point is that resolution threads for XB1 games generate enormous amounts of attention yet KZ got a pass... Relatively speaking.

Low resolution is more controversial than a bad AA implementation.

MavFan619

Banned

Like seriously?
MP even with the apparent downgraded visuals looked plenty nice to me. That said this whole situation is pretty odd why not just tell people the true resolution when it was a hot button issue.

darkwing

After all these months and so much focus on resolution, nobody noticed this.

Wait, so TitanFall beta is higher res than Killzone SF multiplayer? That is pretty funny.

yup lol , I guess we have to revisit other '1080p' games since Sony lied on this one

GHG

Gold Member
They were talking about the SP.

No.

People were talking about killzone as a whole and were certainly not singling out singleplayer when saying it looked amazing.

All of this zooming in to images to spot flaws really irks me. Who sits that close to their tv/monitor to even see games like that. It's a pointless exercise. If you're going to be so concerned about this stuff to a point where your zooming into images and looking at them that closely, do yourself a favour and get a gaming PC. That way you can spend more time actually gaming rather than bitching about this pointless shit in DF threads.

PBY

Banned
No.

People were talking about killzone as a whole and were certainly not singling out multiplayer when saying it looked amazing.

All of this zooming in to images to spot flaws really irks me. Who sits that close to their tv/monitor to even see games like that. It's a pointless exercise. If you're going to be so concerned about this stuff to a point where your zooming into images and looking at them that closely, do yourself a favour and get a gaming PC. That way you can spend more time actually gaming rather than bitching about this pointless shit in DF threads.

Nah, SP looked to me like "holy fuck this is next gen;" MP always looked a huge step down to me, I assumed it was because it was framey/they turned down effects/AA.

Regardless of what p's Killzone runs at I'm pretty sure it still looks damn good.

And for all of the "we were lied to!" rhetoric, it's something you need to get over. We get lied to all the time.

Havel

I think GG made a bad move by trying to go for 60fps in the MP. The end result was pretty shoddy.

They should have kept it at 1920x1080, lowered some effects and try to get a solid 30fps.

We could of had this:
kzsf_ss_2013-08-20_gamescom-multiplayer_02.jpg

instead of this:
kz3.png

No.

People were talking about killzone as a whole and were certainly not singling out multiplayer when saying it looked amazing.

It's a technical thread talking about the resolution of a game that is different than what we thought previously.

I suggest you don't enter these threads if it irks you so much.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Did you just ignore all the other posts that replied to you?
People DID notice! They just thought it was the AA solution, and didn't think GG was outright lying.

Resolution matters. If it's not native, it will look off on native displays.
This furthers proves that point.

Xenon

Like seriously?

No shit, it's almost like it's an Xbox One game.

xkramz

I think GG made a bad move by trying to go for 60fps in the MP. The end result was pretty shoddy.

They should have kept it at 1920x1080, lowered some effects and try to get a solid 30fps.
A shooter at 30fps? Oh lawd.. bad idea

Chobel

Finally I think I found out what is it - dithering
Cos Bad Company 2 remind me that it have big one like literally everywhere.

So not the same thing that's done in Shadowfall MP? disappointed

I thought we're on the verge for big discovery.

Fbh

Ok I guess.

I don't see where the drama is.
The graphics are not as good as in the single player but in my opinion the game still looks great online.

I am not really missing the point , what are they going to start the thread with ?
GG said it was 1080p and they using a different AA , if you pixel count it the normal way it is 1080p and a game having poor AA does not make a huge thread \ people don't care as much .
Which is the reason why people blame the AA in the first place instead of the res and now we know GG was lying .
You can bet if they told people the truth or we found out early it would have been a huge thread (which this one might end up being )

badb0y

Like seriously?

People did notice this before, we just thought it was because of other reasons. Now we know so now it's time to grab a pitchfork because they lied to us.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I have said before that I think Knack looks under 1080p, but I have assumed it was the AA they used. Who knows now.
The following post has been edited to fit the situation at hand.
LIAR. I saw Killzone MP isn't 1080p. You liar Sony you lie you think you can get away with Lying but you were wrong Sony you were wrongggggg because I found Killzone doesn't run at 1080p and now everyone and I mean EVERYONE knows about the time you lieeed on the internet in your internal presentation

Top Bottom