• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Banned
Prediction:
- Sonic Generations will sell less than Sonic Colors
- Sega will learn nothing

Although maybe they've seriously trying some long game plan to rehabilitate Sonic on HD consoles while also actually making money off of Wii/WiiU Sonic titles.

Hamfam

No mention of the UK Sonic comics? Those were awesome. I never read the Archie ones.

Absolutely love them. My Dad accidentally threw them all away a few years back, but I bought like every issue off ebay for a total of £200+.

I don't really like the Archie ones, but I collect them as a nostalgia for the UK comic.

Some fans even continue the UK comics today at www.stconline.co.uk and some of the old writers / artists of the originals such as Nigel Kitching and Richard Elson draw some work for it and answer users questions in the message board.

The UK comics did so many cool things, like making Super Sonic a crazy / evil insane version of Sonic, and having cool characters like porker lewis and lightfoot rabbit.

Spin-off comics like Shinobi, Decap Attack, Ecco the Dolpin etc. were awesome too.

Yeah, the UK comic was awesome. I had, like, 9 pieces of fanart printed in the 'Graphic Zone' back in the day... they were all terrible. :(

Sonic fan 4 lyfe here. I recently purchased this sexy piece of stuff... goddamn it's beautiful in real life:

Metal_Sonic.jpg

Tizoc

Absolutely love them. My Dad accidentally threw them all away a few years back, but I bought like every issue off ebay for a total of £200+.

I don't really like the Archie ones, but I collect them as a nostalgia for the UK comic.

Some fans even continue the UK comics today at www.stconline.co.uk and some of the old writers / artists of the originals such as Nigel Kitching and Richard Elson draw some work for it and answer users questions in the message board.

The UK comics did so many cool things, like making Super Sonic a crazy / evil insane version of Sonic, and having cool characters like porker lewis and lightfoot rabbit.

Spin-off comics like Shinobi, Decap Attack, Ecco the Dolpin etc. were awesome too.

What was the last Archie Sonic comic you read? I've been reading it since 160 and it's been pretty good. I do plan on someday reading the UK comic if I had the chance.
I mean come on: Mark Millar wrote a Dr. Robotnik story, there's no way I'm missing out on that.

Hamfam

What was the last Archie Sonic comic you read? I've been reading it since 160 and it's been pretty good. I do plan on someday reading the UK comic if I had the chance.
I mean come on: Mark Millar wrote a Dr. Robotnik story, there's no way I'm missing out on that.

I collect all the Archie ones since like 150 and have a few back issues too. They're okay, but they're just missing 'something'. The UK ones were only 7 pages per story, so maybe that helped them to be a little bit more compact and interesting.

Favourite tracks of the franchise for me right here (sticking to the main console series here; considering the Storybook series as canon due to being referenced in Generations):

Sonic the Hedgehog - Green Hill Zone, Marble Zone
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Emerald Hill Zone, Chemical Plant Zone
Sonic the Hedgehog 3/Sonic and Knuckles - Angel Island, Sky Sanctuary, Ice Cap
Sonic Adventure - Windy and Ripply ...for Emerald Coast, Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy ...for Ice Cap, EGG CARRIER: A Song that Keeps Us on the Move
Sonic Adventure 2 - Keys the Ruin ... for Pyramid Cave, For True Story: Sonic VS. Shadow, Supporting Me ...for BioLizard[
Sonic Heroes - Seaside Hill, Ocean Palace, Rail Canyon
Shadow the Hedgehog - WESTOPOLIS, GUN Fortress
SONIC the Hedgehog - Crisis City ~ The Flame ~ Sckyscraper ~ Whirlwind ~ Tornado, Kingdom Valley ~Wind ~ The Castle ~ Lakeside ~ Water~, Aquatic Base ~ LEVEL 1
Sonic and the Secret Rings - THE PALACE THAT WAS FOUND, HOW IT STARTED, UNAWAKENING FLOAT
Sonic UNLEASHED - Jungle Joyride ~ Night, Crimson Carnival ~ Day, Skyscraper Scamper ~ Night
Sonic and the Black Knight - Misty Lake, Molten Mine, Shrouded Forest, Titatinc Plain
Sonic Colours - Sweet Mountain ~ Act 2, Terminal Velocity ~ Act 1, Planet Wisp ~ Act 2
Sonic Generations - Crisis City ~ Act 2, Rooftop Run ~ Act 1, RIVAL BATTLE: SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG - For True Story (Cirquit Freq. RMX)

Yeah, the UK comic was awesome. I had, like, 9 pieces of fanart printed in the 'Graphic Zone' back in the day... they were all terrible. :(

I got a letter published in Issue 18 (I think?) of UK Sonic The Comic. I must have heard about the USA Archie Comics, as I asked STC if they could make a map of mobius, and if they could add "Knothole Village" on it. I don't think they knew what "Knothole village" was, lol....

Also, I had a piece of artwork published in issue 21 (or 22, can't remember).

@JessicaPadkinI have all issues up to 100, so if you let me know which issues your art was in, I can scan them in for you?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I really wanted to reply to these last night, but I fell asleep, lol.

Tizoc said:
So who're you fav. artists for the Sonic comic?
Spaz and Yardley.

Best song in various Sonic games gogogo
That's haaaaaard. Watch me edit this post over and over.

Sonic 1 (GEN) - Spring Yard Zone
Sonic 2 (GEN) - Chemical Plant Zone
Sonic 3 - Ice Cap Zone Act 2
S&K - Flying Battery Act 2
Sonic CD - Quartz Quadrant Good Future (JP)/Wacky Workbench Past (JP); Special Stage (US)
Sonic 3D Blast (GEN) - Rusty Ruin Zone Act 1
Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) - Gene Gadget Zone Act 1
Sonic R - Work it Out
Knuckles' Chaotix - Evening Star
Sonic the Fighters - Aurora Icefield
Sonic Adventure - Tricky Maze
Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn >.> (BGM-wise... That's the Way I Like It, A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup, and For True Story... I'm pretty fond of SA2's soundtrack, so I can keep rattling off tracks I like.)
Sonic Heroes - What I'm Made Of (BGM-wise, uh... Egg Emperor)
Poochie the Hedgehog - Black Comet
Sonic 06 - Crisis City ~Skyscraper~, Kingdom Valley ~The Wind~
Sonic Riders – Splash Canyon
Sonic Riders Zero Gravity – Gadget Round
Sonic Free Riders – Free (BGM-wise: Final Factory)
Sonic and the Secret Rings – Levitated Ruins; Unawakening Float
Sonic and the Black Knight – Misty Lake
Sonic Unleashed – Jungle Joyride~Night, Dragon Road~Day, Dragon Road~Night, Shamar~Day, Vs Egg Dragoon, Super Sonic vs Perfect Dark Gaia, Spagonia ~ Night, Skyscraper Scamper~Night (again, I'm very fond of the soundtrack, so I can keep going on and on here)
Sonic Colours - Planet Wisp Act 1, Final Boss Phase 2, Terminal Velocity Act 1, Aquarium Park Act 1, Sweet Mountain Act 2
Sonic Generations – Collection Room (Door Into Summer), Crisis City Act 2, Rooftop Run Act 2, Speed Highway Act 1, For True Story (Cirquit Freq. RMX)

I guess out of all the modern soundtracks, I like Colours, Unleashed, Adventure 2, and Generations the most.

Sonic 1 (GG) - Scrap Brain Zone
Sonic 2 (GG) - Scrambled Egg Zone
Sonic Chaos - Gigapolis Zone (GG); Aqua Planet Zone (SMS)
Sonic Triple Trouble - Sunset Park Act 3
Sonic Blast (GG) - Red Volcano Zone
Sonic Advance - Cosmic Angel Zone
Sonic Advance 2 - Hot Crater Zone Act 2
Sonic Advance 3 - Nonaggression
Sonic Battle - Central City
Sonic Rush - Wrapped in Black
Sonic Rush Adventure – Deep Core + Deep Core~Allegro
Sonic Generations 3DS – Big Arm (Cash Cash Remix feat. Jun Senoue)

*phew*

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Listing a single song that best represents each soundtrack? Impossible. The Sonic franchise is up there with FF and the Nintendo franchises in regards to how much amazing music was produced for each game. I couldn't imagine compiling such a list—at least not before I review all of the soundtracks themselves!

I could do the same for individual composers, however. But I still can't find a favorite either!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Listing a single song that best represents each soundtrack? Impossible. The Sonic franchise is up there with FF and the Nintendo franchises in regards to how much amazing music was produced for each game. I couldn't imagine compiling such a list—at least not before I review all of the soyndtracks themselves!

I could do the same for individual composers, however. But I still can't find a favorite either!
lol, that's just like how I feel about Meguro, any of the Genso Suikoden soundtracks, or any of the Falcom soundtracks. I can't pick just one because I adore a lot of the content!

(And clearly I had issues when I had to choose stuff for the later Sonic games.)

Seik

Banned
Great thread, Sonic made such a huge part of my gaming life. I hope he'll stay on the right track now. ^^

Each time I replay Sonic 2, I'm amazed how much nostalgia fuel it represent. It never gets boring, NEVER!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Absolutely agree. The soundtracks from start to finish are perfect. Kingdom Valley, Wave Ocean, Radical Train, Mephiles' themes, the list goes on, such amazing catchy tracks. SA is no slouch either. Unleashed and Colors make a close second to these OSTs. SA2 and Heroes didn't do much for me in terms of music direction, but either way modarn sanic has had some sweet music in the last decade.
Also agreed. I liked walking around in Apotos in the restaurant areas. Such painstaking attention to detail.

The art direction in Unleashed can't get enough praise. Very few games choose a color palette as pleasing to the eye as this. And while many loathe the hub worlds, I welcomed their peaceful atmosphere and relaxing music. You can really tell they put a lot of love into the game despite the iffy results.

Yeah, I did really like Unleashed's approach of "take real world architecture and stylize it". I hope we get another game like that honestly.

JonCha

Prediction:
- Sonic Generations will sell less than Sonic Colors
- Sega will learn nothing

Although maybe they've seriously trying some long game plan to rehabilitate Sonic on HD consoles while also actually making money off of Wii/WiiU Sonic titles.

Couldn't be more wrong. It's sold way more than Colours ever will.

Kokonoe

Banned
I actually didn't really like Colors. The controls, the double jump, and other gimmicks really didn't feel "Sonicish" to me. It was only until Generations where I actually enjoyed a Modern Sonic game.

Sonic Colors for the DS was alright though.

BlackJace

Sonic fan 4 lyfe here. I recently purchased this sexy piece of stuff... goddamn it's beautiful in real life:

Metal_Sonic.jpg

Wh...where did you get that? That's so awesome.

Okay, going through the entire bad Archie Sonic art blog in one go was a bad idea. Laughing for an hour straight does terrible things to the vocal cords.

my god...so bad...yet sooo gooood, I can't stop looking at this.

Wh...where did you get that? That's so awesome.

That is the Metal Sonic statue from First 4 Figures:

https://www.first4figures.com/component/option,com_myphp/Itemid,3/product,85/

I love their work, but I could only afford the figurines.

Emitan

I actually didn't really like Colors. The controls, the double jump, and other gimmicks really didn't feel "Sonicish" to me. It was only until Generations where I actually enjoyed a Modern Sonic game.

Thank you! Really don't like modern Sonic in 2D and 3D with a d-pad is lol

I've been quite a big Sonic fan for years now, but as great as Colours and Generations were, I'm getting a tad bored. Obviously I have enough interest to still wander into this thread, but I just don't have the same passion for the series that I used to have.

I've still got quite a big collection of Sonic games / merch in my room. I plan on decorating this year and am not sure if I want to keep it all or not. I enjoy collecting the games, but the rest all feels like clutter. Might put it all into storage, but it feels a bit of a waste stuffing eighteen years (or so) worth of merch into a bag and leaving it shut away somewhere.

gumball machine is, no questions asked, the best song from sonic 3.

QFT, that and Hydrocity.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thank oh mighty Pat Spaziante that the Mega Man comic hasn't had to suffer this quality of "artwork". He's the only artist the company deserves at this point!
Not to mention that the writing in the Megaman comics is actually decent, thanks to Flynn. I like what I've read so far. Excited for the Megaman 2 arc.

Not to mention that the writing in the Megaman comics is actually decent, thanks to Flynn. I like what I've read so far. Excited for the Megaman 2 arc.
Absolutely. The MM comic shall be known as the moment in which Archie's team finally transcends its crap threshold to finally create something relevant to the original source of their materials. He's a great comic writer, and he did the best job possible for a Classic comic.

—Shame about Archie Sonic, though.

Sciz

Looking forward to where it goes after that, personally. Game adaptations are hard to pull off anyway on account of having to stick to predefined events (and the four issue arc format they're going with doesn't help), and MM2 is pretty bland from a story perspective. The arc after that looks more interesting from a character and world-building standpoint, and at least the rest of the classic games have plots.

Family values.

I maintain that the comic was at its best in the first couple years when they expected to get canceled any issue now and went for straight slapstick the whole way.

Emitan

If I remember correctly the game doesn't support the nunchuck so I assumed nothing else worked because it's not like EVERY SINGLE WII GAME USES THE NUNCHUCK OR SOMETHING

qq more

If I remember correctly the game doesn't support the nunchuck so I assumed nothing else worked because it's not like EVERY SINGLE WII GAME USES THE NUNCHUCK OR SOMETHING

Wait... is doesn't support nunchuck??? That's very odd if true since Unleashed Wii supports it.

EDIT: Just checked the back of the box. It does support nunchuck.

No love for Hideki Naganuma and his awesome Sonic Rush soundtrack? Really?

Okay :(
For a while I really didn't like Rush's soundtrack because it sounded so weird. But recently I've got used to the weirdness and began enjoying the songs.

Same case with Sonic CD EU/JP soundtrack. (And now I prefer it over the US track)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom