• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

kitch9

Banned
Guys the discussion shouldn't be whether you like DF's TV settings or not it should be:

50% less pixels
NO AA (Regardless of whether you actually like FXAA or not it's computationally expensive and something PS4 has and XB doesn't)
Shadows missing.
Geometry Missing
ETC
ETC.

Computationally PS4 is pushing a massive amount that the XB is not, simple as that. All the leaks are true, the performance delta between the two machines is large and unequivocal.

There's a boat load of assumptions in there, if the 'you' in that post is referring directly to me. I'm buying a PS4, have no (and never have) had any intention of buying an Xbone.
My posts are trying to highlight the possibility that the PS4 blurriness in this footage is a result of the post-processing/upscaling and not, as some people are implying, simply a result of bad DF captures. I don't want upscaled PS4 games to all have a coating of vaseline on, especially if that's something which sacrifices the detail that would otherwise be visible because of the technical superiority. What's the point in lauding a higher res if all the detail is lost anyway? Why are people so quick to assume that a criticism of the PS4 version = a validation of the Xbone version? Because it doesn't. In this instance, I prefer an image being sharp to an image being blurry. Simple as that.
I've said myself in this thread, that I really hope the reaction to this doesn't get developers to artificially sharpen their PS4 versions. IF you prefer how the Xbox One version looks, you can get that same kind of sharpness in a few seconds by moving a slider on your TV.

the softness almost certainly comes from software based AA, which is a thing that we see even in certain PC games. the higher resolution gives us geometric detail we cannot see in the Xbox One version at further distances, and partly why this discussion is blowing up is because it's our first look at the comparative power of the consoles.

yes, the PS4 version is softened more than I would like by the AA implementation, and yes, people are totally allowed to prefer the look of the artificial sharpening in the Xbox One version, but as proven in this thread we can make the PS4 version look 'better' to those people by just artificially sharpening it.

people roll their eyes at this level of technical discussion, but since I care a lot about multiplatform games, and I'm not about to spend $400 or $500 dollars on a notably weaker console, when I could buy the other instead. even if the end result *in this specific case* isn't to your personal liking, the PS4 version is doing a lot more, and running at a higher frame rate in doing so.

that's a simple fact. 50% more pixels. higher frame rate. more effects (currently). so which console should I buy? if BF4 is what I want more than anything else (and it isn't) I'd still rather play the version of the game that isn't artificially sharpened with the higher frame rate (higher framerate = more playable!).

and even if I did want to play an artificially sharpened version, the PS4 version would be the one to go for.

have you *seen* the multiplayer comparison from IGN?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So we basically have this going on:

ib09jGoJjzT8O2.jpg

XBone is clearly superior.
Look at dat sky pop!

avcables

Banned
I would really hope I could for the cost of buying a PS4, and XBone, and a Wii U, with a little left over for a game or two.

Please read what I was directly responding to instead of lambasting me for trying to make a $1,300 computer seem like the frugal choice. My point was not to say that the PC is more powerful disregarding the price. The PS4 and Xbone are both clearly very capable for their price (and their manufacturers take large margin hits, as Sony has admitted). BF4 looks impressive on either machine considering that they're consoles.

But you can still spend nearly the same amount of money as you would on these consoles and get similar if not greater performance.

If you really want to split hairs, I get $150-200 worth of free games from buying the GPU, too, so we can all negate that cost off the total.

There's a boat load of assumptions in there, if the 'you' in that post is referring directly to me. I'm buying a PS4, have no (and never have) had any intention of buying an Xbone.
My posts are trying to highlight the possibility that the PS4 blurriness in this footage is a result of the post-processing/upscaling and not, as some people are implying, simply a result of bad DF captures. I don't want upscaled PS4 games to all have a coating of vaseline on, especially if that's something which sacrifices the detail that would otherwise be visible because of the technical superiority. What's the point in lauding a higher res if all the detail is lost anyway? Why are people so quick to assume that a criticism of the PS4 version = a validation of the Xbone version? Because it doesn't. In this instance, I prefer an image being sharp to an image being blurry. Simple as that.
The point is, you can easily get the same results by adjusting a setting on your TV. It's really that simple you know. Then the PS4 version will look similar to the XB1 version, just better.

Here it is in action: http://abload.de/img/i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

All this talk of the PS4 needing a hardware upscaler is a moot point since 95% of the games will be 1080p anyway.

We just happened to get the one game in the launch lineup that isn't 1080p as our first comparison lol. How convenient that is.

Native 1080p PS4 games galore, so no need for scaling.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hugely overblown

The difference is bigger than ANYTHING we've seen on last gen, how is that overblown? This is bad for MS.

The point is, you can easily get the same results by adjusting a setting on your TV. It's really that simple you know. And then the PS4 version will look exactly the same as the XB1 version, just better.

Not quite since the PS4 version does have AA, but yes you can adjust it to make it similar to the X1 version.

chadskin

Remember

ResistanceFallOfMan01.jpg

That's how the PS3 launch title Resistance: Fall of Man looked like. Things will only get better from here, for both PS4 and XBO.

Kinyou

sitWzVO.png

Waow...

**this is meant as a joke**That is not a *real* comparison at all, both versions look fine and 99% identical. I thought, maybe, we could all crack a smile and laugh at ourselves alittle. The game in question is Operation Wolf i believe, kick ass game.
pcps3d6olv.jpg

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
Why are some people suggesting the PS4 has way better frame rate? Seemed like the Bone held up with the PS4 version most of the time, occasionally dipping 2-4 frames lower in more demanding scenes. That's not really enough to be noticeable during normal gameplay.

I know the PS4 version has about 50% more pixels, but did anyone have trouble seeing that pixel advantage? (Full disclosure: I own a 1080p laptop monitor, so I should be able to tell) I know YouTube's player can affect quality, but in the DF videos I had trouble picking up the differences as well (maybe Bone's hardware scaler is as good as advertised?)

Lucifon

Both versions look good enough for me. I'm not going to sit with two consoles, two TVs and two games running at the same time to even notice the difference.

It almost feels to me that both versions are as if the game has been dropped on similar specced PC's, as in there hasn't been a huge amount of console specific optimisation - which is completely expected for any launch games.

All this talk of the PS4 needing a hardware upscaler is a moot point since 95% of the games will be 1080p anyway.

We just happened to get the one game in the launch lineup that isn't 1080p as our first comparison lol. How convenient that is.

Native 1080p PS4 games galore, so no need for scaling.

This. 33 PS4 games this year, 32 of them run at 1080p - BF4 is the only game this year which runs at 900p. And I don't think this will change.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why are some people suggesting the PS4 has way better frame rate? Seemed like the Bone held up with the PS4 version most of the time, occasionally dipping 2-4 frames lower in more demanding scenes. That's not really enough to be noticeable during normal gameplay.

I know the PS4 version has about 50% more pixels, but did anyone have trouble seeing that pixel advantage? (Full disclosure: I own a 1080p laptop monitor, so I should be able to tell) I know YouTube's player can affect quality, but in the DF videos I had trouble picking up the differences as well (maybe Bone's hardware scaler is as good as advertised?)

Its 2-4 lower on average with a difference of up to 12 FPS.

teiresias

So this is going to be DF's modus operandi this generation? Burying the lead of who's the performance and IQ quality winner behind a front-facing video capture that (no surprise, it is DF) mysteriously does to the Xbone image the same thing Best Buy does to its TVs to make them look more "vibrant" in a show room?

It's going to be a long generation for them if this is the (disingenuous) path they've decided to go down.

Let's even give them the benefit of the doubt and say this wasn't nefarious plotting on their part - why should I trust a site that claims to be the best place to get objective image quality and performance comparisons between platforms when they're not even competent enough to use capture equipment to properly capture comparable video feeds of what they're comparing?

Digital Foundry clearly said the washed out images captured from the PS4 could be a "capture situation" so it may not actually appear so "muddied" as you put it. It could have simply been their capture equipment, which they have already apologized for.

according to eurogamer this is the reason for the washed out look

Microsoft's new platform seems to enforce a colour push towards the lower end, leaving us with more saturated colours and deeper blacks. It's just cause to head towards Battlefield 4's brightness settings, but in the interest of a fair test we kept this at the default 30 per cent for all platforms.

So Dice didn't have occlusion in for the reviews. Or AA. Convinient for Microsoft. I wonder if the game is just coming in really hot or if there are ulterior motives at play.

My vivid imagination.

IISANDERII

sitWzVO.png

Waow...

**this is meant as a joke**That is not a *real* comparison at all, both versions look fine and 99% identical. I thought, maybe, we could all crack a smile and laugh at ourselves alittle. The game in question is Operation Wolf i believe, kick ass game.
Now I realize why Microsoft didn't want to call it the 720.

The resolution advantage is seen on the big screen

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Look at the graph from DF. The biggest FPS delta is about 15 FPS with PS4 at 50FPS and XBO at 35FPS.

Gemüsepizza;87947861 said:
This. 32 PS4 games this year, all in 1080p - BF4 is the only game this year which runs in 900p. And I don't think this will change.

I won't be surprised if some of those other games aren't running at 1080p, but I'll be surprised if it's any large number.

In a weird way, Xbox One being at 720p and 900p, might help ensure that we see the large majority of PS4 multiplats being 1080p. if the easiest way of exploiting the extra power is just upping the resolution... well... one can dream I suppose.

Just watched the IGN video too:
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/10/28/battlefield-4-xbox-oneps4-graphics-comparison

The XBONE version has a crisper image, again. PS4 has a blur filter going on.
I don't know if it's FXAA or the upscaler.

PS4 fan here, and but XBOne has a much nicer image. It's just cleaner. Less muddy/blurry. In every video I've watched, multiple sources.
You're can't really call the Xbox version cleaner if you've taken the time to look at the gifs in the op. It's actually quite jarring how different they look.

Compressed, low bit rate footage on browser videos is not going to help anyone in determining quality.

Wow, I wasn't expecting parity but this is a far larger gap than I had thought there would be. I have just become much more interested in seeing more multiplatform games' comparisons.

Toma

Just looking at the screens and video in the OP from DF. Xbone version (although has those FR drops) still looks much better than a Ps360 version. Much better. That is an acceptable level of next gen for launch, imho.

DF fucked up, watch the Jackfrags videos.

THEaaron

Dudes. You can't be real saying the Xbone version looks better. It's just oversaturated and filled with noise. That's like the Loudness Wars with visuals. OMG.

Wow, I wasn't expecting parity but this is a far larger gap than I had thought there would be. I have just become much more interested in seeing more multiplatform games' comparisons.

Not just you.

we're going to see a big role switch.

all the xb only peeps suddenly lose interest and all the ps only suddenly take an interest.

pc peeps once again just sit back and relax.

its awesome.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/10/28/battlefield-4-xbox-oneps4-graphics-comparison

PS4 fan here, and but XBOne has a much nicer image. It's just cleaner. Less muddy/blurry. In every video I've watched, multiple sources.

did you stop the comparison before it got to multiplayer? that's a serious question. look at the two minute mark on. especially the part indoors.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
What surprises me the most out of all this is the fact that DICE chose to squeeze out what they could from each platform rather then settling for resolution parity.

I was concerned that perhaps EA or DICE would cave under pressure (my imaginings here) from Microsoft to keep it as equal as possible. Instead, we have this ... and no matter how it's spun here or elsewhere, it's pretty damning stuff.

Toma

give me a break. They were fairly close to each other in jaggies. Don't over-exaggerate things, makes you look like a fool.

Oo

Fairly close in regard to jaggies? Are we having a case of... blurredvision here? :p

Caelc

Banned
Dudes. You can't be real saying the Xbone version looks better. It's just oversaturated and filled with noise. That's like the Loudness Wars with visuals. OMG.

but, many people would rather that than the blurry image on the ps4 version. PS4 looks like it has film over it.

give me a break. They were fairly close to each other in jaggies. Don't over-exaggerate things, makes you look like a fool.

that's not true at all. it's a BIG ASS difference in jaggies. Especially when you will be playing it on a HD screen without the forgiving vid compression.

You might want to read what Jack Frag and the videogamer site said. Jack said ps4's multiplayer looks better than xb1's single player campaign. Videogamer's review also was particularly harsh on the boner version of bf4.

http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/battlefield_4_which_is_better_xbox_one_or_ps4.html

Top Bottom