• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

IoCaster

Gold Member
AvidNobody said:
^^ agree.

Anyways, I finished it, and I want to get to lvl. 30. The thing is, if I start a new round, I'm going to have to make all the same choices again while I go through it, so I can export the same character into ME3. That is really lame :(

Nah, it'll create a different save folder when you import your ME2 character for a new game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
And all the exploration stuff was optional. You don't have to land on a single unexplored world to complete the story. I hope they release a couple ME1-type planets as DLC for ME2 before the final story piece.

A man can dream.

At the minimum I want the Hammerhead in ME3.

sam27368

Banned
ElectricBanquet said:
Has Bioware or EA given any indication whether there's going to be a version for the 360 with the DLC on the disc (or a separate disc or whatever)?
They haven't but it wouldn't surprise me if they released a game of the year version including it.

Planet scanning sucks for sure but it's not a deal breaker by any means, especially since it was sped up. Perhaps people should stop scanning every single planet bare when it's just not necessary. Only scan when you need the minerals, only send probes for huge spikes and you'll find you planet scanning far less intrusive and much more efficient.

zam

Barrow Roll said:
Planet scanning sucks for sure but it's not a deal breaker by any means, especially since it was sped up. Perhaps people should stop scanning every single planet bare when it's just not necessary. Only scan when you need the minerals, only send probes for huge spikes and you'll find you planet scanning far less intrusive and much more efficient.
Also even before you start scanning you get a little heads-up from EDI saying there is an anomaly, so you know right away if there is a side-quest there or not. My first playthrough of ME2 I started out strip-mining every single planet in every system I came across, though I eventually stopped that after a while. Second play-through I just quickly checked each planet to see if there was an anomaly, and only mined the rich planets if I needed minerals.

The planet-scanning may not be great, but you don't have to scan and strip-mine every single planet, and either way it means I don't have to use the shitty Mako and that's a win for scanning in my book.

zam said:
Also even before you start scanning you get a little heads-up from EDI saying there is an anomaly, so you know right away if there is a side-quest there or not. My first playthrough of ME2 I started out strip-mining every single planet in every system I came across, though I eventually stopped that after a while. Second play-through I just quickly checked each planet to see if there was an anomaly, and only mined the rich planets if I needed minerals.

The planet-scanning may not be great, but you don't have to scan and strip-mine every single planet, and either way it means I don't have to use the shitty Mako and that's a win for scanning in my book.
Exactly. On the second playthrough I also only scanned planets that also had a sidequest on it or mineral rich planets when I wanted to upgrade something.

AvidNobody said:
Anyways, I finished it, and I want to get to lvl. 30. The thing is, if I start a new round, I'm going to have to make all the same choices again while I go through it, so I can export the same character into ME3. That is really lame :(
You can go back after you finish the game to finish up any leftover N7 missions. It should be easy for you to hit level 30 even without DLC.

sam27368

Banned
I thought planet scanning was a fun addition. But the overall gameplay of ME2 did need something to break up the constant conversation/firefight gameplay. As much as I love that game there are points where you just wish there was a vehicle section or more to explore to give the game a breather. Overlord and Shadow Broker have it spot on

anddo0

Doing my insanity run, almost near the end.

Do you gain exp faster on insanity?

I'm at lvl 29, with 6 missions left. I didn't hit that level until end-game on my first fun. I also hit full paragon way faster. I didn't change much from my first playthorugh. Kinda strange, unless that's the way it's supposed to be.

Coxswain

anddo0 said:
Doing my insanity run, almost near the end.

Do you gain exp faster on insanity?

I'm at lvl 29, with 6 missions left. I didn't hit that level until end-game on my first fun. I also hit full paragon way faster. I didn't change much from my first playthorugh. Kinda strange, unless that's the way it's supposed to be.
It's not about being on Insanity; once you beat the game you get a bonus that applies to every subsequent playthrough that gives you an extra 25% experience on everything.

Do we have any news on when the PS3 version patch will be released? I'm a little concerned about my saves getting corrupted if I play on (granted, the risk is small).

I'm hopelessly in love with Kasumi! But she only has eyes for Jacob... :(

IoCaster

Gold Member
BritBloke916 said:

He'll almost certainly volunteer for a dangerous job at some point. You know what you have to do.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
IoCaster said:
He'll almost certainly volunteer for a dangerous job at some point. You know what you have to do.
JACOB YOU SHOULD GO IN THOSE VENTS.

God it felt good to get rid of that tedious character who was an unsatisfying romance option. Garrus was much better at calibrating.

Stallion Free said:

God it felt good to get rid of that tedious character who was an unsatisfying romance option. Garrus was much better at calibrating.
Sigh, why did they have to go and make him so boring.

Salaadin

I went back and replayed the ending last night to
save Garrus
. Everything else worked out fine too. Im happy. Now onto the DLC!

Im glad Im not the only one who thought Jacob was boring. He didnt bug me but I wasnt ever really compelled to talk to him. Its a shame because everyone else was handled so well other than Jack.

IoCaster said:

"Kasumi, with Jacob gone, I think we should show our respect for his memory by fucking until our polygons are clipping all over. It's what he would have wanted."

Uhh guys...

So I started my insanity run with my previous character, and all my saves for my previous run on "normal" are gone! Is this normal?? The hell...

brb

AvidNobody said:
Uhh guys...

So I started my insanity run with my previous character, and all my saves for my previous run on "normal" are gone! Is this normal?? The hell...

Possibly in another career? Hit triangle on the load screen to switch between them.

John

Stallion Free said:

haha, i chose jacob for the vents since the three techies (mordin, tali, and legion) are all my favorites and i didn't want any of them going off alone and maybe dying. when jacob died and i figured out the system, i didn't reload.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
John said:
haha, i chose jacob for the vents since the three techies (mordin, tali, and legion) are all my favorites and i didn't want any of them going off alone and maybe dying. when jacob died and i figured out the system, i didn't reload.
2gic85r7a.gif

Just lost my save file. Right after finishing the Reaper IFF mission the game froze on the loading screen before getting back to the ship. I restarted the PS3 and :( it's gone.

WTF, I thought they'd fixed this shit. Ugh, I don't know if I have the heart to start over.

BritBloke916 said:
Do we have any news on when the PS3 version patch will be released? I'm a little concerned about my saves getting corrupted if I play on (granted, the risk is small).

Per my above post of sadness, maybe you should wait. At least back-up your save; that's possible, right?

You can back up your save. I've been doing it since I bought it. The 1st save is a profile save which is copy protected, the second one is the save data for story progress which isnt. Just copy the second one periodically and if you have the corrupted save issue just copy the save you backed up (USB drive or another user on your PS3 works) and over the corrupted one and continue playing.

Endgame spoiler:
Really wish I'd managed to save my crew. Doing all the post-campaign DLC with a hauntingly desolate ship is rather depressing.

Paznos

Wow I guess I got lucky then since the game froze on me once at around 39 hours, restarted my PS3 and everything was fine.

How do I get rid of the 62 fps limit? I went into DefaultEngine settings, set the vsynch options to false, and even that didnt work. I should be getting a framerate between 80 and 150 fps, and i've seen youtube videos with framerates in that range, so what gives?

notjackbauer said:
Just lost my save file. Right after finishing the Reaper IFF mission the game froze on the loading screen before getting back to the ship. I restarted the PS3 and :( it's gone.

WTF, I thought they'd fixed this shit. Ugh, I don't know if I have the heart to start over.

truly sucks, man - sorry...

as for me: having finished the game, finally went ahead & did the shadow broker mission, which i'd passed on because it's seems to be the one that's been messing with people's saves the most, & managed to clear it with no problem (made sure i quit the game first & then booted it up fresh before starting it)...

i had a lot of fun with me2. i'm not really a fan of shooters, & that part got a little boring at times, but the game's easy enough that it really didn't wear me out :) ...

Worth saying for those wondering if there'll be a GOTY edition with all the DLC on 360, it's pretty likely to happen. There's one more piece of Shadow Broker sized DLC to come (plus Genesis, which is slated to come to PC/360 at some point as a Cerberus free download) so I imagine any disc-based 'ultimate edition' will come after that DLC releases, which I reckon will be around E3 time when the ME3 hype machine starts in earnest.

Salaadin

theignoramus said:
How do I get rid of the 62 fps limit? I went into DefaultEngine settings, set the vsynch options to false, and even that didnt work. I should be getting a framerate between 80 and 150 fps, and i've seen youtube videos with framerates in that range, so what gives?
Are you using d3doverrider by any chance? Maybe put the ME2 exe as an exception. Other than that, I dont know.

anddo0

notjackbauer said:

Sucks man.

My game crashed on me at the very end of my insanity run. I was fortunate enough to retain everything after the reboot.

Patryn

AvidNobody said:
Is any of the DLC worth getting?

Shadow Broker:
Mandatory. Arguably advances the main story plot more than ME2 actually does. Unless something goes really wrong, should have major ramifications on ME3.

Overlord:
Optional, but highly recommended. Some people prefer this to Shadow Broker based on the gameplay. In many ways, it harkens back to the ME1 sidequest structure by combining vehicle segments with on-foot segments. Has a nice self-contained story to it.

Kasumi: Optional, but recommended for those who have not yet completed the game. Kasumi as a character is extremely useful, the mission is pretty fun, it gets you a new suit of casual clothes, and the SMG gained is also really good. That being said, if you've already beaten the game, both Kasumi and the SMG aren't going to do you much good.

Firepower: Optional, but recommended if it doesn't break the bank and you haven't beaten the game. The weapons contained in this pack are the best of the DLC weapons, IMO. The rifle is really nice, as is the heavy pistol. Plus, they both have a very different feel from the other weapons in their categories (the pistol shifts to a laser sight as opposed to a crosshair, for instance). However, as this pack doesn't add any new missions or gameplay, it can be passed over if the cost scares you away, or if you've beaten the game.

Everything else:
Avoid. The appearance packs all make the characters look goofy, and the rest of the weapons aren't super useful. If you really, really love the game and have money coming out of your ears, sure, go for it, but otherwise you could easily skip over all this nonsense.

X-Frame

KoruptData said:
For us PS3 folks, should we play Shadow Broker before or after we beat the game?

You can do either, as there will be dialogue options either way .. but I think most people will say to wait until you beat the game.

kitzkozan

EatChildren said:
Shadow Broker is essential.

Shadow broker is one of three planned DLC to bridge the gap between Mass effect 2 and 3 right? That's basically what I could figure out from the official Mass effect forum.

Here's hoping Bioware continue to experiment with boss battles or perhaps a space battle to refine Mass effect 3,so we can have ME3 be as great as it can be (want it to be Return of the king rather than Return of the jedi). :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
kitzkozan said:
Shadow broker is one of three planned DLC to bridge the gap between Mass effect 2 and 3 right? That's basically what I could figure out from the official Mass effect forum.

BioWare never specified how many bridging content packs there would be, but yeah, Shadow Broker at least makes some effort to advance the Mass Effect universe lore.

As far as we're aware there's only one more major pack coming, which BioWare has said is a bridging pack. It should pop up sometime later this year.

Patryn said:

Shadow Broker:
Mandatory. Arguably advances the main story plot more than ME2 actually does. Unless something goes really wrong, should have major ramifications on ME3.

Overlord:
Optional, but highly recommended. Some people prefer this to Shadow Broker based on the gameplay. In many ways, it harkens back to the ME1 sidequest structure by combining vehicle segments with on-foot segments. Has a nice self-contained story to it.

Kasumi: Optional, but recommended for those who have not yet completed the game. Kasumi as a character is extremely useful, the mission is pretty fun, it gets you a new suit of casual clothes, and the SMG gained is also really good. That being said, if you've already beaten the game, both Kasumi and the SMG aren't going to do you much good.

Firepower: Optional, but recommended if it doesn't break the bank and you haven't beaten the game. The weapons contained in this pack are the best of the DLC weapons, IMO. The rifle is really nice, as is the heavy pistol. Plus, they both have a very different feel from the other weapons in their categories (the pistol shifts to a laser sight as opposed to a crosshair, for instance). However, as this pack doesn't add any new missions or gameplay, it can be passed over if the cost scares you away, or if you've beaten the game.

Everything else:
Avoid. The appearance packs all make the characters look goofy, and the rest of the weapons aren't super useful. If you really, really love the game and have money coming out of your ears, sure, go for it, but otherwise you could easily skip over all this nonsense.
Thanks for the info, I might go for Kasumi. I played thorugh Shadow Broker and it was excellent. I also got a DLC alongside my collector's edition, the one with the australian guy which was good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ResidentDante said:
Thanks for the info, I might go for Kasumi. I played thorugh Shadow Broker and it was excellent. I also got a DLC alongside my collector's edition, the one with the australian guy which was good.

Kasumi's mission is really great, as is her character, but it's very, very short. As Patryn said if you're not planning to play any ME2 content again then her value decreases as you wont be using her as a character in any other missions. Overlord, on the other hand, is much longer as it is a full set of missions.

I think they're both really great and have good content, but in terms of value Kasumi is basically a second Zaeed; a recruitable character, one mission (of which is excellent), and one new weapon.

mokeyjoe

EatChildren said:
Kasumi's mission is really great, as is her character, but it's very, very short. As Patryn said if you're not planning to play any ME2 content again then her value decreases as you wont be using her as a character in any other missions. Overlord, on the other hand, is much longer as it is a full set of missions.

I think they're both really great and have good content, but in terms of value Kasumi is basically a second Zaeed; a recruitable character, one mission (of which is excellent), and one new weapon.

Yeah, you should get the extra characters at the beginning of the game to get the full benefit. Fortunately this is a highly replayable game.

EatChildren said:

Overlord first then! Thanks for the heads up on the Kasumi dlc!

EatChildren said:

Since I'm playing through the PS3 version I had the luxury of not having to pay extra (or at least, I had to pay extra for the game anyway) for the DLC. Nevertheless, Kasumi is easily my favourite character encountered so far, partly because she's a well-spoken sexy dreamboat of a girl (think "Raffles, the Gentleman Thief" rebooted as an attractive female) but also because she's so damn lethal in combat. She's like your own private ninja!

kitzkozan

sam27368 said:
I thought planet scanning was a fun addition. But the overall gameplay of ME2 did need something to break up the constant conversation/firefight gameplay. As much as I love that game there are points where you just wish there was a vehicle section or more to explore to give the game a breather. Overlord and Shadow Broker have it spot on

True,but it's quite easy to imagine that ME3 will be inspired by the fan feedbacks (more rpg elements and less scanning) and there will surely be sidequests or even main quests that use the Overlord model+Shadowbroker with better boss fights and special vehicles segment.These DLC are mostly to experiment with new gameplay mechanics.

Melchiah

Any other Finnish people here who bought the game from Verkkokauppa? I ask because I got the game today, and it didn't have the usual booklet that contains game information. =/

EDIT: Just got an answer from the store. Apparently EA had decided to cut costs, and instead of the usual paper booklet, it's all on the disc. Fuck that shit. If I had wanted it in digital form, I would have bought the downloadable version of the game from PSN. =(

Top Bottom