• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Arjen

Dice said:
I'm not sure I would like this game on consoles. I am constantly telling my team exactly where to go and what to do and making very precise moves myself. It doesn't seem like it would work right with a controller.

I have absolutly no problems playing with a controller, even on Insanity

jackdoe

samdavis said:
Mass Effect 2 wasn't that cinematic. And it certainly wasn't worthy of any tears. No game has done that yet.
It had a couple of dynamic conversations during the beginning of the game on the Normandy. Then Bioware jettisoned that idea and we got back to static, camera 1 and camera 2 dialouge systems. I hope this changes in ME3.

Mindlog

On the bright side of things Bioware's desire to sell DLC means ME3 probably won't end in some lame self-sacrifice.

Considering nothing can really match the events that should take place we'll probably get some Kinect-enabled Mass Effect: Dance Party DLC.

Hixx

Mindlog said:
On the bright side of things Bioware's desire to sell DLC means ME3 probably won't end in some lame self-sacrifice.

Considering nothing can really match the events that should take place we'll probably get some Kinect-enabled Mass Effect: Dance Party DLC.

Bagsy being the Turian!!

Dancing_Turian_Animated_Gif_by_Dakkita.gif

DuckRacer

subversus said:
You could die in ME2.
Yeah, but you had to intentionally play as poorly as possible to die. There's a difference between that and having Shepard die being one (of a few?) significant ME3 ending(s).

THRILLH0

Banned
Just about to dive in after crit-pathing ME to get a save ready.

Question: I'm without Live access at the moment. Can I add my Cerberus code in a week and still get all the goodies or do I need to do that before starting a game?

Also, is there a consensus on the most "fun" class to play? Went through the first as a soldier and it got a little tedious after a while.

Zen

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Ashley is a bitch because her family has a black mark on its history after the first contact war and doesn't want to be too chummy with aliens? But when some one makes a compliment or a remark to Liara she twists into an insult or something that demeans her and complains about it and she isn't a bitch? Yup makes sense.

Lostconfused said:
After the conversation with Lorik Qui'in where he mentions Benezia and how she was dressed in a business suit. Liara complains about how everyone thinks Asari are promiscuous and by extension that she is as well. It kind of makes sense that mentioning Benezia would hit a nerve with her but still. There was also another moment where Garrus mentions that Asari are lucky because they don't need implants to be able to use biotics. Liara goes on a rant how she had to study and train to learn how to use biotics and how dare Garrus make light of all her pain and suffering making him apologize for that comment. There is also another conversation that goes along the same lines but I am forgetting it.

Edit: I guess I have to replay mass effect 1 again because honestly I don't remember the conversations exactly anymore and its not like any of them are up on youtube either. Well at least you know any that don't involve the romance options.

1 is completely reasonable, 1 you've forgotten, and all three are from Mass Effect 2 where she is distant until she isn't depending on how you talk with her? That's not exactly bitchy. I don't know man, it's just that from my perspective Liara was designed purposefully to be the anti bitch, almost to a fault.

Where did the implants conversation take place?

Patryn

So I think I've read a lot of stuff slamming adepts in this game. How hard is it to play them? Does the whole armor structure make them impotent?

Mindlog

Patryn said:
So I think I've read a lot of stuff slamming adepts in this game. How hard is it to play them? Does the whole armor structure make them impotent?
The beginning can be a little difficult (as with all classes except soldier.) Just be sure to use warp bombs as often as possible and it gets easy. With a proper party it gets really easy. Blue Suns and Geth-Mech should be Miranda + Garrus. Just about everything else should be Miranda + Thane. AR is a pretty good bonus weapon talent. I have a lot of success with SR. The Viper is great.

With all that said I just bought the Aegis Pack. I started doing Overlord with my adept. I checked 3 times to make sure I was playing on Insanity. Zaeed/Garrus with Incisors is easiest mode.

AShep said:
Also, is there a consensus on the most "fun" class to play?
Vanguard. You will probably die a lot before you get a feel for it.

Comic 3 just came out. Where are they going with this? TIM seems like a pretty reasonable individual now.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
DL'ed Lair of the Shadow Broker and got sucked back into Mass Effect 2 right away :). I want to start a new game with my ME1 character. I was wondering, can you change your class while importing a ME1 character? My ME1 Shepard is an infiltrator, I kinda want to do something else but it'd be more fun playing with this character then with a new character.

Mindlog

Rei_Toei said:
DL'ed Lair of the Shadow Broker and got sucked back into Mass Effect 2 right away :). I want to start a new game with my ME1 character. I was wondering, can you change your class while importing a ME1 character? My ME1 Shepard is an infiltrator, I kinda want to do something else but it'd be more fun playing with this character then with a new character.
Yes. You can change everything except sex and name.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Mindlog said:
Yes. You can change everything except sex and name.

Good to know - how/when? Because when I started a new game with a old character I couldn't change it. Is it after you leave the Cerberus base where the Lazarus'ed you?

Mindlog

Rei_Toei said:
Good to know - how/when? Because when I started a new game with a old character I couldn't change it. Is it after you leave the Cerberus base where the Lazarus'ed you?
It's right after the opening Lazarus montage IIRC.

Beat the game on normal a couple weeks ago with a Vanguard. Just started a new game as an...I forget the name but you get stealth on Insanity. So much harder for me now. Just did the mission to get Archangel and died a lot.

Kyoufu

Is Miranda still necessary to take with you as a Vanguard?

And as I type this, I'm headed to talk to Jack for her loyalty mission and for some reason the visuals have all gone yellow/green/blue on me :lol

I hope ME3 isn't bugged on PS3 like this is.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Second playthrough... although somewhat casually. I love being Vanguard. I love fucking blasting in there with a charge and then shift pausing... looking around, seeing who I can take out with an ally's concision blast, and then charging the fuck out again to a new spot XD

Is there a trailer or something for the new DLC yet?

Wallach

Patryn said:

It's not hard, honestly. Just get used to recognizing the best ways to set up Warp detonations to hit multiple targets safely. I think I've linked this video before, but you can absolutely maul shit in this game with Warp detonations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOLiQgOlZh4 (note this is spoilery, very late game)

AG did this quick run at the request of someone wanting to see how effective Warp detonations really were compared to the other classes in this section. Also take note of how he uses Singularity because it's a CC on pretty much any target regardless of whether they have armor/shields/barrier or not.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Mindlog said:
It's right after the opening Lazarus montage IIRC.

Man, that's weird, I could swear I didn't get the option to change the class. Maybe I overlooked it. Will try again.

Edit: weird, now it did show up, right after the facial reconstruction. Weird, I must've missed it.

Another thing I'm wondering about: I was replaying ME1, but then dl'ed Shadow Broker. To make room I deleted the Bring down the Sky DLC for ME1. Now I can't play my old ME1 savegames anymore because it says I'm missing the BdtS dlc. Kinda weird - only way to solve it is probably to re-install the DLC?

Patryn

Wallach said:
It's not hard, honestly. Just get used to recognizing the best ways to set up Warp detonations to hit multiple targets safely. I think I've linked this video before, but you can absolutely maul shit in this game with Warp detonations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOLiQgOlZh4 (note this is spoilery, very late game)

AG did this quick run at the request of someone wanting to see how effective Warp detonations really were compared to the other classes in this section. Also take note of how he uses Singularity because it's a CC on pretty much any target regardless of whether they have armor/shields/barrier or not.

Hmmm.

I'm so tempted to make run number 3 be an adept run, but I really feel like I'd be abandoning my beloved engineer class. I tried doing a Sentinel run, but I still prefer Engineer (Incinerate + Drone = LOVE).

I take some sick pleasure out of the fact that I play the most unpopular combination in the game: Female Engineer. Does that make me a hipster?

Rei_Toei said:
Man, that's weird, I could swear I didn't get the option to change the class. Maybe I overlooked it. Will try again.

Edit: weird, now it did show up, right after the facial reconstruction. Weird, I must've missed it.

Another thing I'm wondering about: I was replaying ME1, but then dl'ed Shadow Broker. To make room I deleted the Bring down the Sky DLC for ME1. Now I can't play my old ME1 savegames anymore because it says I'm missing the BdtS dlc. Kinda weird - only way to solve it is probably to re-install the DLC?

Unfortunately, yes. Once you DLed a DLC and started a game with that DLC installed, you can only play those saves with the DLC installed. Ran into that problem myself when I was still using my old 20GB Pro and had to uninstall Pinnacle Station to DL Shadow Broker.

Wallach

Patryn said:
Hmmm.

I'm so tempted to make run number 3 be an adept run, but I really feel like I'd be abandoning my beloved engineer class. I tried doing a Sentinel run, but I still prefer Engineer (Incinerate + Drone = LOVE).

Do you mean a run for setting up ME3 or something? Not like your Engineer's going anywhere. Something about lots of fish in the sea, etc.

I take some sick pleasure out of the fact that I play the most unpopular combination in the game: Female Engineer. Does that make me a hipster?

No, but I think it might at least be on the entrance exam.

Patryn

Wallach said:
Do you mean a run for setting up ME3 or something? Not like your Engineer's going anywhere. Something about lots of fish in the sea, etc.

Yeah, I'm starting another full series run to prep for The Arrival (also ME3). And my problem is that while I'm playing I'm constantly thinking "I wish I had Incinerate for this situation...." or "My drone would have been really useful right here..."

But I am inclined to constantly replay the series. If I end up doing this, it'll be run number 6 for ME1 and run number 3 for ME2. What can I say? ME1 is actually my favorite game of all time.

Wallach

Patryn said:
Yeah, I'm starting another full series run to prep for The Arrival (also ME3).

But I am inclined to constantly replay the series. If I end up doing this, it'll be run number 5 for ME1 and run number 3 for ME2. What can I say? ME1 is actually my favorite game of all time.

Hm. Well that's a tougher call I guess. I think what you'll find is that the Adept and the Engineer feel a little bit similar on some levels. They are very similar in terms of being very "squishy" on Insanity, and both kind of rely on a couple powers to CC stuff. When those CC skills are used right it's much easier to survive.

Where I think the Adept and the Engineer mostly diverge is just the damage dealing. I think Adepts are more fun to actually play when it comes to destruction, but I also really like Warp detonations - especially when you have a full party that is working together to cause serious Warp death. That feels pretty bad ass sometimes.

But I'm probably not the best person to ask really because Engineer is far and away my least favorite.

Does the game frequently go out of sync in regards to voice/sfx in certain situations/cutscenes for anyone else, or is it just me?

I'll get a half-second or so de-sync of voices in some scenes (mostly involving TIM).

PS3, btw.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat it on Insanity, 13 hours :lol

SPOILERS.
Everyone died :D

the chris

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Does the game frequently go out of sync in regards to voice/sfx in certain situations/cutscenes for anyone else, or is it just me?

I'll get a half-second or so de-sync of voices in some scenes (mostly involving TIM).

PS3, btw.
Nah, it does the same for me, the voices seem to be in sync, but the explosions and other sound effects are always off.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm in media blackout for Arrival but according to newslines Shepard goes solo.

I hope that doesn't mean that they decided to streamline out party mechanics in ME3.

kitzkozan

Acidote said:
Lair of the Shadow Broker is DLC done right. I hope they don't "forget" how to do it.

Perhaps if Mike Laidlaw moved on to "supervise" the Mass effect franchise and it's DLC I would be worried, but I'm confident Arrival will have solid gameplay and setpieces even if it's a solo mission. :p

Mindlog

subversus said:
I'm in media blackout for Arrival but according to newslines Shepard goes solo.

I hope that doesn't mean that they decided to streamline out party mechanics in ME3.
Unfortunately I may have already had the DLC spoiled for me. Quite a few of the critics from the other thread are going to get something they've been asking for. I wonder how they'll react. I predict a new wave of whinging that ignores previous complaints.

I hear ME3 will have no scanning.
I hear ME3 will have a more complex weapon upgrade choices.

Kyoufu

If ME3 brings back inventory then I will be happy.

The Shadow Broker DLC was higher quality than the entirety of the main game. Kinda sad imo, but I was very happy with it.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
One thing that I hope that Bioware does for ME3 is make some fun hacking minigames. Unfortunately, the only developer that makes interesting hacking minigames is Insomniac Games (every hacking minigame in the ratchet and clank games is great). I would really like to see a compelling hacking minigame in ME3.

Zoibie

cornontheCoD said:
One thing that I hope that Bioware does for ME3 is make some fun hacking minigames. Unfortunately, the only developer that makes interesting hacking minigames is Insomniac Games (every hacking minigame in the ratchet and clank games is great). I would really like to see a compelling hacking minigame in ME3.

They weren't that bad in ME2, I've certainly played worse.

cornontheCoD said:

The ones in ME2 were a significant step up from the durr SimonSays-esque ones of ME1 and KotOR. So by the history of incremental improvements we've seen, minigames in ME3 should be superior (at least by a little bit.)

Kyoufu

And hopefully they design ME3 with New Game+ in mind this time. They added NG+ at the very last minute in ME2 and the level of quality of the feature between ME1 and ME2 shows.

kitzkozan said:
Perhaps if Mike Laidlaw moved on to "supervise" the Mass effect franchise and it's DLC I would be worried, but I'm confident Arrival will have solid gameplay and setpieces even if it's a solo mission. :p

I don't usually hope someone loses their job, but yo, if he's as responsible for DA2 as he seems, I hope he loses his job... or at least moves to a company making games I don't give a shit about.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just finished up Overlord last night. Had a blast with it. The final stretch was emotionally compelling, and the music that segued from the final boss battle to the final conversation was gorgeous.

I've heard lots of negative things about this DLC but I throughly enjoyed it. Now on to Shadow Broker.

Grisby

Wallach said:
I really enjoyed it. Couple environments in that DLC are fucking gorgeous.

I want Shepard to have some sort of option to buy Liara's apartment. I loved that place. That and the whole end game on the
SB ship was beautiful. One of the best sky boxes ever.

I'm a whore and just bought Shadow Broker, Overlord, and Kasumi, never having played them (and missing out on that one sale, drat). Damn unjustified anticipation for this DLC!

The sad thing is I was 10 points short to buy both Overlord and Kasumi at the same time, so I had to get even more points to get both of those. Oh well, at least I have excess points for Arrival now, though I'll still have a weird spare amount of points afterwards.

Patryn

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I'm a whore and just bought Shadow Broker, Overlord, and Kasumi, never having played them (and missing out on that one sale, drat). Damn unjustified anticipation for this DLC!

The sad thing is I was 10 points short to buy both Overlord and Kasumi at the same time, so I had to get even more points to get both of those. Oh well, at least I have excess points for Arrival now, though I'll still have a weird spare amount of points afterwards.

If you like ME2, they're all worth it.

Top Bottom