• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

jim-jam bongs said:
Steamworks features to be patched into old games? It wouldn't be the first time it's happened recently.

I could only see that happening if Atari announces RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 and heavily promotes RCT3 on Steam along with that announcement.

Which would be awesome.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Wichu said:
I doubt anyone cares, but here's a spreadsheet I made that shows my PC game expenditure so far. I need to stop buying so many games; before this summer, I only had Minecraft, Portal, Terraria and Civ V; now look what's happened :(

Wasn't sure on whether to include some of the games (such as GTA I/II), seeing as they're now free to download... Technically, they were part of the bundle, so I included them.
For 'normal price', I used the non-bundle price on the Steam store when available (Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII are only available as a bundle, so I just split it between them). I've never bought a PC game full-price; saving nearly £400 on total RRP feels good :)

Haha, I would not even want to make this. I added up what I spent in the past 2 months and it's not pretty. Let's just say my Steam gifts and guest passes box alone somehow got up to 14 pages. And I missed the summer sale because I was away. It'd probably be best if I go away again in December. Seriously though, help me.

And I'm tired of all these games switching over to a new format. Witcher 2 had to download like 10 gigs.

coopolon

Wichu said:
I doubt anyone cares, but here's a spreadsheet I made that shows my PC game expenditure so far. I need to stop buying so many games; before this summer, I only had Minecraft, Portal, Terraria and Civ V; now look what's happened :(

Wasn't sure on whether to include some of the games (such as GTA I/II), seeing as they're now free to download... Technically, they were part of the bundle, so I included them.
For 'normal price', I used the non-bundle price on the Steam store when available (Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII are only available as a bundle, so I just split it between them). I've never bought a PC game full-price; saving nearly £400 on total RRP feels good :)

Yah, I have a running spreadsheet of all my expenditures. A few months ago there was a thread about how much we've spent so far and I was surprised to see how much I had spent, so I've stopped buying games just because they are cheap. It actually feels pretty good, I mean it's great and all to get games for insanely cheap prices, but my backlog is already insane and I was just being silly.

Still getting Skyrim and maybe a few games for the Xmas sale.

wilflare

Wichu said:

that looks like a good way to manage expenditure
would you mind sharing it? ^^

Wichu

wilflare said:
that looks like a good way to manage expenditure
would you mind sharing it? ^^
It's just an Excel spreadsheet with some formatting applied. Here's the xlsx file for the template (made in Excel 2010); it's got all the formulae and formatting in it already, so all you have to do is delete the example stuff and put your games in (and possibly change the currency formatting). To add new rows, either drag the little handle in the bottom-right corner, or right-click and choose 'Insert Table Row'.

iSimon

PaulLFC said:
UK-GAF (may also work in other countries too, but I'm not sure) - CoD: Modern Warfare 3 (with bonus free copy of the original Modern Warfare) is £26.65 at GamesPlanet when you use the discount code MW3 at checkout.
This is super tempting, has anyone outside the UK successfully activated on Steam?

Echoplx

Wichu said:
It's just an Excel spreadsheet with some formatting applied. Here's the xlsx file for the template (made in Excel 2010); it's got all the formulae and formatting in it already, so all you have to do is delete the example stuff and put your games in (and possibly change the currency formatting). To add new rows, either drag the little handle in the bottom-right corner, or right-click and choose 'Insert Table Row'.

Thanks, can't be arsed filling in this years info but will definitely use it next year.

PaulLFC

iSimon said:
This is super tempting, has anyone outside the UK successfully activated on Steam?
I'd wait for now - seems they must send the keys manually or something - quite a few people, including me are still waiting for keys a few hours after ordering.

I'm going to remove the original post about the deal until I actually get my key and can confirm it works. As I said, the company are legit and run plenty of download sites, but there seems to be a long wait until they actually send out the Steam keys.

plc268

Turfster said:
... the person that posted 3 posts ago?

oh. that makes sense now.

I hardly ever look at usernames, and I only really know people by their avatars here. God help me when they change them though.

I got the "conversion" dialog box for Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. It converted it to the "new format," but afterwards, it rolled back the unofficial patch. After it finished, I had to turn off automatic updating for VtMB again, and re-install the unofficial patch. After it was done, VtMB started up just fine.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
DyslexicAlucard said:
Is anyone interested in starting a 4 pack of Renegade Ops, or have a spare copy I can buy for $7.50?
I was not aware that the 4-pack cut the price in half. I would be down for this.

So kotaku says steam's forums got hacked. If your password for that forum is the same for anything else I'd change it asap. Hope they catch these assholes and lock em up in a Gulag.

I've already got a copy of RO, but thanks, guys. You can probably make your own 4 pack, though.

Also, who can help me with the Skyrim D2D deal? I can Paypal you $46 right away.

epmode

powersurge said:
So kotaku says steam's forums got hacked. If your password for that forum is the same for anything else I'd change it asap. Hope they catch these assholes and lock em up in a Gulag.
If the passwords are encrypted (and I'd be astounded if Valve fucked that up) then you don't have to worry about anything.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
epmode said:
If the passwords are encrypted (and I'd be astounded if Valve fucked up that badly) then you don't have to worry about anything.
The passwords are for the *forum*, which is completely separate from your Steam account and the people who post on them are so awful that it's hard to care.

epmode

The Steam forums are useful for tech help with buggy new releases! Also to whine to the asshole that made Everyday Shooter but still hasn't patched analog movement into the PC port.

Vamphuntr

epmode said:
The Steam forums are useful for tech help with buggy new releases! Also to whine to the asshole that made Everyday Shooter but still hasn't patched analogue movement into the PC port.

Yeah they've been really useful to me too. I go check them when I have technical issues with games since Steam has no technical support database or FAQ for third party games. All they have is page saying to contact the publishers. Usually the important thread regarding technical problems are stickied so it's fairly easy to find a solution to your issue.

Jzero

How are you guys able to see what games are going to be in the indie bundles? And do you guys know what's in the Indie Royale "Really big bundle" ?

AcridMeat

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Has anyone tried out Stealth Bastard? An entirely free stealth, puzzle platformer? I can't get the damned game to run.

I installed it and tried playing it. The menus were running fine but as soon as I started playing it felt like everything was running in slow motion.

AcridMeat said:
I installed it and tried playing it. The menus were running fine but as soon as I started playing it felt like everything was running in slow motion.

Try installing it in the root of your C drive. Just create a Stealth Bastard folder there and install. Did the trick for me. Brilliant little puzzle game actually. They should get it up on Steam for 5$.

Joe Molotov

Joe Molotov said:
mw3 pc - £26.65 or $42
use promo code MW3

http://uk.gamesplanet.com/

steam compatible btw

Bought it, but it said they had to validate my order or something before I got the key, which could take 8 hours.

Got a phone call from my bank like an hour after I ordered this, "Are you sure you wanted to make this purchase?" "Yes, it's fine" then I waited around all evening, never got my CD-Key. Finally this morning I get an email from Gamesplanet saying my purchase failed to authorize, and my order has been cancelled. Fuck.

Edit: I tried again using Paypal this time. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. :(

PaulLFC

I can confirm the GamesPlanet deal works. I was wary of posting it last night as I ordered around 8pm and hadn't received my key, but I got it this morning - activated fine and it's currently downloading through Steam.

Seems they must do manual verification during working hours, so if you order tonight, be prepared to wait until tomorrow morning for your code.

bigas

One annoying question:

If, for some reason, I take my EA serial numbers from steam and register them within Origin, will I be able to install from Steam in the future?

Please, don't ask me why I'm asking this. I need to know.

MNC

bigas said:
One annoying question:

If, for some reason, I take my EA serial numbers from steam and register them within Origin, will I be able to install from Steam in the future?

Please, don't ask me why I'm asking this. I need to know.
Yes. You will be able to install them from Steam.

Such a silly question :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
epmode said:
If the passwords are encrypted (and I'd be astounded if Valve fucked that up) then you don't have to worry about anything.

As far as we know so far, the people who hacked the forum just compromised a mod's account, meaning that they wouldn't have access to the password info, encrypted or otherwise.

That being said, the passwords being encrypted doesn't save anyone. It depends on the encryption algorithm being used, whether the passwords are salted at all, whether the passwords are salted individually or as a whole, and whether getting database access allows an intrude to discover or derive the salt.

(This is not the first time I've written about this kind of thing on GAF tee hee)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wutwutwut said:
Doesn't vBulletin use bcrypt? I sure hope it does.

There are plugins to make vBulletin use many hash functions, and I haven't looked at it in years, but the last time I did the default md5(md5(password) . salt) with the salt being per-user and stored in the users table in a separate column. So, good enough to avoid most rainbow tables, but not ideal.

Was Valve using vBulletin?

Askani

Shout-out to LastWindow for the FrozenByte Bundle key. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Also...I just joined the NeoGAF group.

Also...if anyone wants to add my I'm SonAskani.

Joe Molotov

Joe Molotov said:
Got a phone call from my bank like an hour after I ordered this, "Are you sure you wanted to make this purchase?" "Yes, it's fine" then I waited around all evening, never got my CD-Key. Finally this morning I get an email from Gamesplanet saying my purchase failed to authorize, and my order has been cancelled. Fuck.

Edit: I tried again using Paypal this time. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. :(

They cancelled my Paypal order and refunded the money, and then Paypal put a hold on the money while they "reviewed". FML

PaulLFC

MW3 is the first CoD game I've bought on PC - Steam tells me the single player is 14GB, and the multiplayer is 14GB - is that right, the game's really 28GB? Or do I just need to download one of the two to get both components?

Nelo Ice

Banned
PaulLFC said:
MW3 is the first CoD game I've bought on PC - Steam tells me the single player is 14GB, and the multiplayer is 14GB - is that right, the game's really 28GB? Or do I just need to download one of the two to get both components?

In total they're 14GB, they're just split up for some reason like most of the CoDs.

sk3tch

Is there going to be a CoD MW3 PC specs/performance/comparison thread like we had for BF3? I feel that would be helpful and it would also keep us geeks from muddying up the OT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom