• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben & Jerry's drops fortune cookies from 'Lin-Sanity'

Status
Not open for further replies.
(CNN) -- Ben & Jerry's has apologized for putting fortune cookies in pints of its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at its Harvard Square, Massachusetts, location in honor of basketball sensation Jeremy Lin.
"We offer a heartfelt apology if anyone was offended by our handmade Lin-Sanity flavor," read a statement issued Friday on behalf of Ben & Jerry's Boston Scoop Shops.
"We are proud and honored to have Jeremy Lin hail from one of our fine, local universities and we are huge sports fans. Our intention was to create a flavor to honor Jeremy Lin's accomplishments and his meteoric rise in the NBA, and recognize that he was a local Harvard graduate," the statement said. "We try (to) demonstrate our commitment as a Boston-based, valued-led business and if we failed in this instance we offer our sincere apologies."
The fortune cookies have since been replaced with waffle cookies.
The misstep isn't the only one that has surrounded the hype over the Asian-American guard for the NBA's New York Knicks.
ESPN fired a writer over a controversial headline.
The headline read "Chink in the Armor: Jeremy Lin's 9 Turnovers Cost Knicks in Streak-stopping Loss to Hornets." The phrase -- Chink in the Armor -- contains a word that has two meanings; one is an ethnic slur.
An anchor who used the same phrase was suspended, the sports network said last Sunday.
Lin, 23, came off the bench earlier this month to guide the Knicks to win after improbable win. The unlikely star of Taiwanese descent quickly turned into a global brand and "Linsanity" became the phrase of the times.

120226123313-b-j-lin-sanity-story-body.jpg

This is getting ridiculous.

BowieZ

Banned
If there was, say, a Nicole Kidman flavor with swirls of edible red silly string and chunks of Caramello Koalas (because Koalas are related culturally to Nicole's homeland Australia!) would there be outrage?

What about rainbow-colored sweet milk ice-cream to honor Harvey Milk's legacy? Would that be offensive to homosexuals?

B.K.

If there was, say, a Nicole Kidman flavor with swirls of edible red silly string and chunks of Caramello Koalas (because Koalas are related culturally to Nicole's homeland Australia!) would there be outrage?

Of course not. She's white.

Orayn

When is all this PC bullshit going to end?

There's nothing wrong with being PC, nor is there anything wrong with being politically incorrect. Can we just let other people use their own judgement and decide how politely or rudely they want to present themselves?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
There's nothing wrong with being PC, nor is there anything wrong with being politically incorrect. Can we just let other people use their own judgement and decide how politely or rudely they want to present themselves?
Not when it deprives people of interesting ice cream.

I would have loved to have tried this flavour. I guess once anything becomes a marketing hit within NA, PC sets in to ensure everything becomes as bland as possible. I can see how the ESPN headline was in poor taste, but this seems fine to me (come'on it's ice cream!). I wonder if it would have been fine if Lin personally approved this flavour (assuming he had nothing to do with its inception).

Weenerz

Banned
This country fucking stinks. Pretty soon we won't be able to say he's Chinese, just mention that he comes from the eastern part of the world.

Orayn

This country fucking stinks. Pretty soon we won't be able to say he's Chinese, just mention that he comes from the eastern part of the world.

Yeah, that's totally where "PC" is headed, 100%. The PC police are going to break down your fucking door and carry you off to a sensitivity camp any minute now.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If Ben & Jerry's made an egg tart flavored ice cream, that'd be fucking awesome.

egg_tart.jpg

or better yet, bubble tea flavor ice cream.

bubble_tea_lisa.jpg

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don't like when when people suggest you throw the "PC" baby out with the the "we can still have fun, bathwater"
I think the idea of not being a cunt to people just for fun is a good enough one to not hate.

That said, I think this thread would PROBABLY spin in the other direction if the situation were only slightly different. For example if a politician were to offer up fortune cookies at an event where Lin was the special guest.

Fuck all this and give me my horchata flavored ice cream.

Apparently? Are you implying you weren't actually aware of this?

I'm not "implying" it. I didn't know that at all. Am I supposed to be born with information that random words are incredibly offensive to people due to completely arbitrary measures?

That's how silly shit like the ESPN writer being reprimanded happens. People go apeshit over random, meaningless words.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm not "implying" it. I didn't know that at all. Am I supposed to be born with information that random words are incredibly offensive to people due to completely arbitrary measures?

That's how silly shit like the ESPN writer being reprimanded happens. People go apeshit over random, meaningless words.

It's not random, it's THE racist word for Chinese people and the idea that the ESPN guy didn't know what he was saying is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom