• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Random side note, but Chris Priestly has confirmed that party members are not bolted to a single location on the Normandy, and will change location.

GSR

Random side note, but Chris Priestly has confirmed that party members are not bolted to a single location on the Normandy, and will change location.

I remember them saying something like that a while ago, but it's still good to hear reconfirmation.

KorrZ

This sounds both good and potentially bad. I have bad images of running all over the ship and hitting all those elevator loading screens trying to find the one last party member you want to talk to.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Interesting, and possibly annoying, but as long as transitions between the different areas is speedier than ME2 Ill be happy

By the by did you ever get any kind of confirmation on the High Res Textures tweet on BSN or elsewhere?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
By the by did you ever get any kind of confirmation on the High Res Textures tweet on BSN or elsewhere?

Nah, nobody said anything. Apparently Hudson or Priestly said something quite similar when they were poked about textures prior to Mass Effect 2's release, so I'm guessing it was just PR dribble. They know people are unhappy with the textures, and if they could confirm higher quality assets I don't see why they wouldn't.

Lime

Nah, nobody said anything. Apparently Hudson or Priestly said something quite similar when they were poked about textures prior to Mass Effect 2's release, so I'm guessing it was just PR dribble. They know people are unhappy with the textures, and if they could confirm higher quality assets I don't see why they wouldn't.

Damnit.

Has Bioware commented on the amount of post-release support they will do? I'm especially thinking of patches and modifications to the existing flaws indicated by the ME3 demo:

- no text chat
- horrible intrusive damage indicator as soon as the shield depletes,
- no gamepad support
- better textures
- possible bugs in the full game
- proper animations for platforms with sufficient memory.

Because usually they do not do anything with their releases and just work on DLC.

Oh come on, you would have to be a moron not to have noticed that......

Yeah, I thought everyone knew they just pulled in the camera.
I mean... the animation doesn't change so.. Yeah. I always thought of it as something to do when you're traveling long distances and your bored, like clicking on stuff randomly on your computer while you wait for it to load.

Damnit.

Has Bioware commented on the amount of post-release support they will do? I'm especially thinking of patches and modifications to the existing flaws indicated by the ME3 demo:

- no text chat
- horrible intrusive damage indicator as soon as the shield depletes,
- no gamepad support
- better textures
- possible bugs in the full game
- proper animations for platforms with sufficient memory.

Because usually they do not do anything with their releases and just work on DLC.

There will be a hd textures pack for pc gamer.

If this becomes even less an RPG then Mass Effect 2 was in comparison with Mass Effect 1 I am going to hate Bioware so much. They already screwed up Dragon Age 2 by dumbing it down, but Mass Effect is my most favorite franchise.

Randdalf

If this becomes even less an RPG then Mass Effect 2 was in comparison with Mass Effect 1 I am going to hate Bioware so much. They already screwed up Dragon Age 2 by dumbing it down, but Mass Effect is my most favorite franchise.

I think it's pretty much the same as Mass Effect 2 except with a greater unabashed love for the spacebar key.

Im still confused by what people consider a rpg? ME3 will have more skills to pick, as you can see for yourself in the demo. ME2 wasnt dumbed down when it came to dialogue, it was pretty much on par. And based on a few more recent leaks it seems that there are ways to fuck things up in ME3, like having old squadmates die, or certain decisions locked out based on choices made in ME1 or ME2. It really seems they managed to take the best parts of both games and combine it in 3.

Whether you will like the story is another thing, but when it comes to the gameplay im pretty confident that Bioware has their shit together. But, i love this series and i dont hate Bioware like most of Neogaf does, so im sure that influences my view on things. :lol

Arjen

???
The skill trees are bigger and interesting, weapon weight added for cooldowns, tons of weapons, weapon mods. What more do you want?

spekkeh

Banned
This one is a bit better, but the problem I have with this trailer is that it doesn't really have the signature Mass Effect look. A few blue lensflares would've gone a long way. Some bits now appear in the wrong order (the introduction of the reaper with the girl is shown after you already know the reapers are destroying the place) and it also doesn't help that the two brightly colored characters with no helmets are flanked by endless of the same characters in grey suits.

Dyno

Had friends over and we played the Mass Effect demo and then Binary Domain demo back to back. No comparison really. BD has so much more going on. It's clearly a more advanced and competent 3rd person shooter. Everything in ME feels very basic.

One thing I did like in ME is in the second part of the demo. One of your character has Singularity and is throwing it up all over the place. It makes for some nice hectic combat but it seems more powerful than anything you do! I held back for a bit and the two of them took out most of the enemies. The game can play itself to a certain degree.

I can understand if people are keen for the ME universe and want to see how the story ends. I'm not going to suffer through this level of gameplay just to it.

Melchiah

That's an awful decision, if there's still as annoyingly long loading times between the floors. I'd really like to know why they couldn't make it a seamless experience, as the Normandy isn't that large.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That's an awful decision, if there's still as annoyingly long loading times between the floors. I'd really like to know why they couldn't make it a seamless experience, as the Normandy isn't that large.

How long were the loading screens in the Normandy on the console versions of ME2?

Because on my PC, it takes 1-2 secs to load another floor.

ultron87

Hopefully there will just be a "Shepard is holding office hours" mode where you sit in your quarters and everyone comes to you.

DTKT

I had the impression that they were starved for memory. When someone mentionned the holstering issue, a Bioware dev mentionned that they removed the option because they could save 2MB of memory.

I imagine that streaming an entire level is out of the question.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know if I'm spoiled or expected too much, but just about everything in ME3 demo to me seems almost comically bad. From dialogues, to combat, character animation (all facial animation and running in particular), attempts at drama, the way humans look... About the only thing I liked were some of the music and crazy lens flares which again give it a cheesy space opera feel, but at least there they get that feel right.

I can't say much about the story from the demo of course, but if the "Wipes out all organic life in galaxy every 50000 years" nonsense is any indicator, then I'd rather not know.

I actually felt the same exact way about the ME2 demo, but I can't really stand RPGs in general. I keep looking for one that will click with me, but it just doesn't happen.

Gustav

Banned
How long were the loading screens in the Normandy on the console versions of ME2?

Because on my PC, it takes 1-2 secs to load another floor.

This is just going with my gut feeling, but I'd say they were about 20 seconds long. Enough to be annoying.

Edit: Just checked a youtube vid. 22 seconds. Close enough.

Bisnic

This is just going with my gut feeling, but I'd say they were about 20 seconds long. Enough to be annoying.

Edit: Just checked a youtube vid. 22 seconds. Close enough.

Wow. I'm glad i'm playing this franchise on PC then if it takes 2 secs to load a Normandy floor.

And here i thought taking 15 secs to load a mission or planet was long. What is it on consoles? 60 secs? :s

Melchiah

I had the impression that they were starved for memory. When someone mentionned the holstering issue, a Bioware dev mentionned that they removed the option because they could save 2MB of memory.

I imagine that streaming an entire level is out of the question.

Seems kinda odd, that there was ~22sec load time even when you entered the captain's cabin, which was only a tiny room.

spekkeh

Banned
Wow. I'm glad i'm playing this franchise on PC then if it takes 2 secs to load a Normandy floor.

And here i thought taking 15 secs to load a mission or planet was long. What is it on consoles? 60 secs? :s

No it's also ~20sec, which is why the loading times on the Normandy were so galling. But it was the same with ME1; the fastest ship in the galaxy with the slowest elevators in the galaxy.

Bisnic

Something must be wrong with the loadings of the console versions of ME2 if it takes as long to load a full mission/hub than a floor of the Normandy. :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Had friends over and we played the Mass Effect demo and then Binary Domain demo back to back. No comparison really. BD has so much more going on. It's clearly a more advanced and competent 3rd person shooter. Everything in ME feels very basic.
Let's be fair here. Binary Domain is a linear third person shooter. It's a shooter first and foremost.

Mass Effect 3 is not *just* a shooter by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, the demo was full of shooting, but the game is so much more than that. It's a full blow adventure RPG with the "dungeons" consisting of 3rd person combat.

I'm still pretty confident that the full experience of Mass Effect 3 will be better overall than Binary Domain (which is looking pretty awesome).

Unfortunately the PS3 is getting screwed in both cases. It's like 2007 all over again. I couldn't BELIEVE how low the framerate was in both PS3 demos. It's so much smoother on 360.

Wait, so they really DID remove holstering? OK, that is pretty disappointing as I really don't like the way the game looks while running around with your gun drawn. I would always holster following a battle.

Gustav

Banned
Wait, so they really DID remove holstering? OK, that is pretty disappointing as I really don't like the way the game looks while running around with your gun drawn. I would always holster following a battle.

Is this true? I have a theory - games that let you holster your weapon are automatically better.

Floex

Comparing Binary Domain to Mass Effect 3

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

moop1167

Tried to play multiplayer for the first time last night but people kept quitting out in the lobby because of my low level and bitching about shit on their mics. I mean, does it really matter that much? Some guy was like level 83 or something. I just want to try the damn multiplayer.

acm2000

loving the new lighting from the updated UE3, looks and runs beautiful on 360 at least, i have my extra absorbant pants ready for march

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just got done playing the demo on PS3, finally, as I have no access to my gaming PC right now.

It's an embarrassment, frankly, and it actually pains me to say it, seeing how much I loved the first two games.
Atrocious framerates/animations all around, insanely clunky dialogue delivery and ham-fisted "emotional" story elements that did more to annoy me than anything else.

What the fuck happened. Framerates can be fixed by simply playing it on PC again, but i'm not sure if I even want to play it at all, seeing as I had to literally force myself to finish this demo, eugh. :(

Bisnic

The more i read impressions, the more i think Bioware should have not released any demo, especially if its an old one from a beta build. What were they thinking if that's the case?

Top Bottom