• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Fallout 4 worth $20?

AdaWong

When I question a game's value or worth, a quick research would net me my answer. However, this one is weird. Looking at videos it looks amazing, reading reviews it sounds promising, but then I read fans reaction and they're mediocre.

So I turn to you GAF, is this game worth it for 20 bucks? It's on sale right now on PSN and Amazon.

LQX

Yes, but being that you held out so long I would probably hold out even longer as I can see this maybe selling for $29.99 with all the DLC.

8bit

Knows the Score
Gonna go with no, it might be a passable Fallout 4 if you want that but it's no New Vegas 2.

If you enjoyed Fallout 3, $20 is a decent price for it. It's a pretty meaty game and can last you quite a while if you get into it.

Quonny

I don't know what $20 means to you. I don't know your tastes. I don't know how much free time you have. I don't know your history with the franchise.

For me, yes, it is worth $20.

13ruce

Banned
I regret spending 60 on it never again even for 20 i would still feel dissapointed.

Pretty sad how they go from Skyrim to this quality wise.

King_Moc

Banned
As long as you're not too concerned about it living up to the narrative of past Fallouts. Go into looking for an open world shooter with light RPG elements and you'll have a good time.

CloudWolf

Ask yourself: Do you like Minecraft and Far Cry and do you wish they combined the two in one game? If the answer is yes, you should buy Fallout 4.

Van Bur3n

Would probably be better to get an edition of the game that comes with all of its DLC. Which strangely enough, Bethesda has yet to do this.

No.

It focused on the gunplay apparently in this installment. You can find loads of other games with better gunplay for a 20.

It lost what made it big in the first place: the dialogue and writing.

Don't get it.

Turkoop

Banned
Some people like it, some hate it, some.love it. Very hard to say.
Maybe the most controversial game this generation.

ISee

To be honest: I like the game, but I see why people have problems with it. Fallout 4 is in many ways behind Fallout:NV.
But for $20? Sure go for it, if you like the setting and/or FO3.

batrush

money aside, it's just really not worth the time or the space on your drive. it's just a mediocre game in every category.

Recall

I think so at a 12-15 dollar range.

It isn't perfect, at times it barely feels good yet I still put hundreds of hours into it. If you have that itch to shoot countless things, loot buildings and follow quest markers then it's a decent experience.

There is fun to be had just don't expect great depth or nuance.

Drayco21

The PC Mods alone might be, if they're as extensive as the rest of Bethesda's games.

But the base game? Not even kind of- I got paid to play it when Microsoft accidentally made it free, and felt like I still wasted my time. It's a mediocre shooter, wrapped in the dressings of an abysmal RPG. The only redeemable aspects of the entire thing are the city building aspects.

BiggNife

Did you like Fallout 3? Then yes. Fallout 4 is Fallout 3 with a bunch of decent tweaks to the mechanics. If that's not what you're looking for, then get something else.

If you're interested in a game with a decent story then get as far away from FO4 as you can because it's absolute horseshit

psyfi

Banned
Do you want to play it? Then yeah. I quit it early on though, despite loving Fallout 3 and NV. It just felt too same-y and too different in all the wrong ways. I hated how clunky the combat felt, and I despised the town building stuff. I was feeling extra impatient with games at the time though, and I might have enjoyed it if I played it a different time.

pksu

Neo Member
Barely. It may be the worst one in the series but still good 20+ hours of play before it gets boring and tedious

Coolluck

Well I don't know you so maybe.

I'm considering double-dipping for the proper mod support on PC. Bought the game and season pass on launch. Was happy enough with the gunplay upgrade but am sad the RPG bits took such a hit. I am a huge fan of settlements since it just reminded me of playing with action figures and Lego. It depends on what you value. I really like the Fallout world so it's enough for me.

Ask yourself: Do you like Minecraft and Far Cry and do you wish they combined the two in one game? If the answer is yes, you should buy Fallout 4.

As long as you're not too concerned about it living up to the narrative of past Fallouts. Go into looking for an open world shooter with light RPG elements and you'll have a good time.

These two, they sum up the game well and for that price, sure. IMO, exploration is just as good and its art style is much better than the past two fallout games. The story is the biggest letdown though.

ZombieLPK

If you've played previous Fallout games (especially New Vegas) you'll probably be disappointed, but even though it didn't live up to what it could/should have been, it's still not a bad game.

If I'd have to do it all over again, $15.

It's basically Fallout 3 all over again, and a downgrade from New Vegas.

It really, really isn't. Much better graphics, much better character creator (let down by the voiced protag tho), much better gameplay, much better companions and more companion quests and whatnot, a crafting system where basically every single item in the world can be deconstructed for scraps, a story that actually lets you do different things instead of being railroaded down Fallout 3's shitty one, a much better main city to explore with no subway tunnel fuckery.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's a slightly above average game that was a collosal disappointment to me as a big fan of the series.

LegendX48

If you want an extremely watered down rpg that's Fallout in name only, sure. The only version I'd recommend would be the PC so you can mod the shit out of it, no holds barred (though that wasn't enough to salvage Oblivion for me), otherwise take your money elsewhere.

AdaWong

Thanks all!

Looks like if I go into it thinking it's a separate game (i.e not Fallout part 4) from the Fallout franchise, I should have fun. Other than that, it's just more of the (worse) same.

Thanks again. <3

Top Bottom