• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromat

You can play Tekken multiplayer on PSP... Just not online. But you at least only need 1 copy of the game.

Yeah but finding another person with a PSP that wants to play against you is so uncomfortable... Fighting games, to me, are all about playing against other people. I just don't see the point of having them on portables without online play.

Especially not at that price

Fellows, a personal favourite from a while back has been iterated upon and upgraded to a fine, fine experience. If you're in the mood for an arcade-style 4X space strategy that takes equal cues from Masters of Orion 2 and Galcon, do yourself a favour and investigate Distant Star. It was an enjoyable, if bare-boned game upon launch, but now it's got a ton of new features...tightened tech tree, planetary development, upgrading etc.

Cmibe.jpg
Ymtbz.jpg

evfDw.jpg
SfkGY.jpg

There's a lot of tongue-in-cheek sci-fi geekery love to be found within. It's a fast-paced game that is tactically sound and very easy on the eye with its delicious minimalist pixel aesthetic.

Highly recommended. All it needs is a little asynch love, but it moves at such a high pace that you'd lose a lot of the momentum if it required someone on the other end to log in and do a single move. As it stands, a great little single player slice of goodness. Would make for great bluetooth local multiplayer, though.

GeekyDad

Are people talking about Prevail in here, the next game from the Plunderland people?

Looks frigging amazing!

video.

Amazing? Looks interesting and fairly deep. The physics look a little broken, though. Kinda has that Scribblenauts-all-over-the-place thing going on.

mujun

Amazing? Looks interesting and fairly deep. The physics look a little broken, though. Kinda has that Scribblenauts-all-over-the-place thing going on.

Maybe I should have said "sounds" amazing.

Been following the thread over at Touch Arcade. Sounds like a mini version of Spore or something.

Thread link.

GeekyDad

Maybe I should have said "sounds" amazing.

Been following the thread over at Touch Arcade. Sounds like a mini version of Spore or something.

Thread link.

Yeah, the concept is definitely pretty cool. When I first started watching the video, I thought it was going to be a simple endless runner, but there seems to be a lot going on with the game. Will be interesting to see how well they actually execute the thing. Seems pretty ambitious.

SmokyDave

Soul Calibur is out in NZ. Price is $15.99 NZ dollars. Don't know what that translates to, but it sure aint 99 cents

edit: oh, and that price is 20% off release sale price lol

Damn. On the one hand, I want to buy this to help prove that higher price-points are viable. On the other hand, this isn't exactly the game I had in mind when I wanted higher price-points.

Decisions, decisions.

mujun

Yeah, the concept is definitely pretty cool. When I first started watching the video, I thought it was going to be a simple endless runner, but there seems to be a lot going on with the game. Will be interesting to see how well they actually execute the thing. Seems pretty ambitious.

I like the jibe at fetch quests at the start of the video :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Damn. On the one hand, I want to buy this to help prove that higher price-points are viable. On the other hand, this isn't exactly the game I had in mind when I wanted higher price-points.

Decisions, decisions.

Man, don't be buying ropey ports of old games that you don't really want just because they're expensive. That is madman logic. If you want a ten quid hole in your pocket, I'll pm you my paypal deets :D

SteveWD40

Decisions, decisions.

That's a high price to pay for a title that is not really meant for touch control.

SmokyDave

Man, don't be buying ropey ports of old games that you don't really want just because they're expensive. That is madman logic. If you want a ten quid hole in your pocket, I'll pm you my paypal deets :D

I know, I know. Thing is, I want more expensive games on the app store and I can't think of any clearer way of sending that message than buying expensive games.

I love Soul Calibur but since I have a DC hooked up with an arcade stick attached, it's unlikely I'd play this version much. Given that I move house in 2 days, I should probably keep my wallet closed for now.

I just hate the idea that someone at Namco will be going "See! Told you it's 69p or bust!" in a weeks time.

That's a high price to pay for a title that is not really meant for touch control.
Didn't stop me buying both versions of SF4 and KoF13.

Stopped me from enjoying them though :(

That's a lot less than the ~500k copies for Whale Trail to break even, and they will be out of pocket a lot less if they never hit it.

But Whale Trail has only managed to make 140,000 paid downloads to date. That's a game which was heavily marketed and talked about, it popped up on a lot of blogs with "App of the day" style articles.
Not saying a game with a much lesser budget couldn't reach 60,000, but it seems like success relies pretty heavily on pure luck and just breaking even must be very difficult.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What about Jeff Minter's games?

At first glance they don't attrack me (looking at pics)

tbh, I think in order to properly 'get' Minter you need to be English (or anglophile, or mayeb even antipodean) and be about 30+ (I'm 29 and I only know what he's referencing thanks to having older friends with computers as a wee-un).

I think to modern gamers the games will look ugly and be too hard. But for me, they hit a sweet-spot of nostalgia and challenge balanced perfectly. And then bizarre humour.

Justin Smith's Realistic Summer Sports Simulator

has gone freemium incase noone noticed, know was heavily talked about a week ago.

Go for Gold in 5 events:
* Diving
* Javelin
* Equestrian
* 100m Dash
* Rowing

And Unlock 10 more events for 1.99
* Gymnastic Rings
* High Jump
* Pole Vault
* Weightlifting
* Swimming
* Racewalking
* Hammer Throw
* Cycling
* Archery
* Whitewater Slalom

SmokyDave

Don't worry, it will eventually occur to them that, "Oh...it's good games people are willing to pay a premium for. I get it now..."

If only. I'd like to think someone would suggest that an iOS version of 'Soul Calibur 5' could've been successful at this pricepoint, whereas a £3.99 tag may have been more appropriate for this particular title.

Honestly though, they don't seem that smart.

tbh, I think in order to properly 'get' Minter you need to be English (or anglophile, or mayeb even antipodean) and be about 30+ (I'm 29 and I only know what he's referencing thanks to having older friends with computers as a wee-un).

I think to modern gamers the games will look ugly and be too hard. But for me, they hit a sweet-spot of nostalgia and challenge balanced perfectly. And then bizarre humour.
Agreed. I buy all Jeff Minter games unthinkingly because I get the warm 'n' fuzzy vibes of the C64 days with each app.

Coughed up my £1.49, downloading as we speak. Somehow I'd missed GoatUp so I'm having that too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think Caverns of Minos will be godly on iCade, it seems perfect for it. Playing on the iPhone though it seems I'm covering an awful lot of the screen with my hands. I do love a Lunar Lander style game though, I can't wait till I get home with my iCade. And I'm going to a retro games fest this weekend with my iCade, this game should prove popular with the fat weirdos that go there :p

SmokyDave

I think Caverns of Minos will be godly on iCade, it seems perfect for it. Playing on the iPhone though it seems I'm covering an awful lot of the screen with my hands. I do love a Lunar Lander style game though, I can't wait till I get home with my iCade. And I'm going to a retro games fest this weekend with my iCade, this game should prove popular with the fat weirdos that go there :p

I'm jealous. I might just snap this weekend and buy one (PC World were selling the iCade for £40 the other week). Don't tell the missus though.

I'm staving off jealousy by looking at my new 'Jeff Minter' page on my phone. Might see if I can find a suitably Minter wallpaper.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm jealous. I might just snap this weekend and buy one (PC World were selling the iCade for £40 the other week). Don't tell the missus though.

I'm staving off jealousy by looking at my new 'Jeff Minter' page on my phone. Might see if I can find a suitably Minter wallpaper.

Yeah I got mine from PC World too, my wife nearly coughed up a furball when I came home with it! But it's too cool, especially if you managed to snag iMame before it got pulled. Minter's games work well on it too, especially Goatup and Minotaur Rescue.

I just lol'd in the office like a tit when Caverns asked me to find Man's Best Hope and when I found it it was the David Braben head from the other games. So dumb but so funny.

EDIT: oh, just tried it on my iPad and it's godly, fixes all my issues (hands) with the iPhone version. Definitive version for sure. It seems a fun game too, very challenging.

bubnbob

Banned
tomorrow, 19th january, Time of Heroes - our 3D turn-based strategy game will become available worldwide. For the first three days only 0.99$, after that 2.99$.

Here's the link to our Trailer.

And a few screenshots:

001_title.png

003_battle.png

005_map.png

008_map.png

015_screen.png

013_map.png

Have fun!!

Ooh, this looks nice. We need more games like this on iOS. Good job guys.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So the 1.0.8 update of Starbase Orion seems to have broken compatibility with ongoing multiplayer games or something, I'm getting these types of screens that never go away now whenever I try entering any of my ongoing games. :(

jJrQB5AdoSWPD.jpg

low-G

What about Jeff Minter's games?

At first glance they don't attrack me (looking at pics)

As an American that never owned a C64 but did play classic games, I just think it's the gameplay. If you think Robotron 2084 is still one of the best games ever made, you may enjoy some of his stuff.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
As an American that never owned a C64 but did play classic games, I just think it's the gameplay. If you think Robotron 2084 is still one of the best games ever made, you may enjoy some of his stuff.

Ah, you're just one of those rare cool americans :p

Fox Mulder

All these different pinball apps are annoying. I just want it in one goddamn app.

I got war pinball hd, then they released the pinball hd collection with the ability to buy those as an IAP to bring it into one app. So I double dipped on that. I was interested in the AC/DC table, but was waiting for it to be an IAP like the Slayer table. Now they added the AC/DC Pinball to Pinball HD as an IAP, but not for the Pinball HD collection app I've already bought tables for.

dk_

Ok guys, could someone please check if you can buy the new levels for Scribblenauts Remix via IAP? I can't find it!

Thanks!

blahness

Caverns of Minos is great! Beat it today on the iPad and havent yet tried controls on the icade. I can't imagine that it would control better on the icade and dont know how you could sweep bullets left and right with buttons effectively. Looking forward to someone blowing my score on the novice leaderboards out of the water as usual.

also, I loled when I got down to the bottom of the cavern in which you have to rescue the Deer Leader

Cytus has the potential to be the best music game on the entire appstore... If they could just find some way of stopping the little lags that occur here and there and also make it a bit more difficult. The timing window is so loose it means the game has absolutely no real challenge to it, which is strange seeing as its a game aimed at the DJMAX Technika crowd.

The only song which is even remotely difficult would be Entrance on Hard difficulty, but even then that's probably only difficult because its hard to mash out on small circles precisely on a small screen.

Still though, well worth 69p alone for the 15 wonderful tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom