• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved |OT| Early Access to the Land Before Time

kaiju

There's plenty of content for the single player to be good, but at the same time it feels like a waste without the multiplayer. I prefer playing on PvP servers because I really enjoy the politics that happens between tribes, and of course going on raids. On the servers I played on, I was good friends with the admin's tribe (also the alpha tribe, and no not by cheating), and had an alliance with them. We didn't aggressively raid anyone, only seeked revenge on very unprovoked attacks or offline raiders.

The experience of raiding is pretty cool just because you have to utilize you dinos effectively. You need a high level turtle with nothing but HP leveled, so you can aggro and drain the autoturrets.

That sounds like a ton of fun also!

Right now since I'm new to the game I'm learning how to craft, taming dino's and exploring (the Island map is HUGE). That should keep me busy for a while. Once I have my grasp I will check out an online server for sure.

I feel like this is a game that you can blow 500+ hours in easily.

Hylian7

That sounds like a ton of fun also!

Right now since I'm new to the game I'm learning how to craft, taming dino's and exploring (the Island map is HUGE). That should keep me busy for a while. Once I have my grasp I will check out an online server for sure.

I feel like this is a game that you can blow 500+ hours in easily.
If you can get a group and join a multiplayer server, you move through the tiers much faster, distribution of work and all.

Also there are some neat tricks (pretty sure most of them still work) for stuff like sinking foundations to be even with a raft, extending how far you can put foundations in a boat. If you can do this successfully, you can make a (bullshit unfair) raiding device for based on the coast where you make a huge extension on the front of the boat, cover it in C4, drive it into the base, and blow it.

Hylian7

I got back into playing this and found a decent Ragnarok server that doesn't have bullshit mods on it.

So far I like it, although I haven't really left the Viking Bay areas. However I'm not sure if it's a bug, but Eurypterids can swim out of the water and "swim" on the beach. One chased after me, but I got away from it fortunately. I also haven't played much since the Leedsi-whale thing that destroys boats was added. I leave my raft on a beach and hope for the best, and haven't had one destroyed yet.

Hylian7

I got back into playing this and found a decent Ragnarok server that doesn't have bullshit mods on it.

So far I like it, although I haven't really left the Viking Bay areas. However I'm not sure if it's a bug, but Eurypterids can swim out of the water and "swim" on the beach. One chased after me, but I got away from it fortunately. I also haven't played much since the Leedsi-whale thing that destroys boats was added. I leave my raft on a beach and hope for the best, and haven't had one destroyed yet.

I clearly spoke too soon on this.

I worked to tame a nice level 135 Pteranodon (which became a 200), and had it on my raft. I logged out to eat dinner, came back to find out I was dead, my Pteranodon was killed, and my raft and everything on it was destroyed by some asshole with a Fire Wyvern. Thanks for the unprovoked attack asshole. I might try building up again, but since I have the levels, build a base somewhere remote and get Plant Species X down to defend my base.

Hylian7

Got somewhere on a Ragnarok unofficial server with a few friends. The server we are playing on is PvP, but the only tribes we know of on the server are our own, and the admin's solo tribe. This admin seems kind of sketchy, as we know he has gone into spectator mode a couple of times to see what we are up to, and even warped in front of my friend once.

We have a nice metal base, a few Plant Species X guarding it, lots of tames including Dilos, raptors, Allos, Argents, Pteranodons, two Griffins, a Quetz (neither of us are high enough level for platform yet, so we use regular saddle to carry the Ankylo around), Ankylo, Triceratops, Dung Beetle, and much more.

I'm level 80 right now. We tamed the Quetz last night, and it was a good one too at 145. My next goal is to get a Baryonyx. We need something amphibious to go gather Silica Pearls. We also plan on expanding the base and eventually probably taking on caves and maybe even bosses. We also plan to get Wyverns at some point.

Top Bottom