• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never

uM6g9rg.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

Layton's Mystery Journey

Miracle Merchant

Linelight

NEO Scavenger

Motorsport Manager 2

Full Throttle Remastered

Sidewords

Galaxy of Pen and Paper

Realpolitiks Mobile

Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop!?!

Fighting Fantasy Legends

Resynth

wcEfO6V.png

Noded - August 2nd
Egglia: Legend of the Redcap - August 3rd
Kubrain - August 10th
Technobabylon - August 16th
Shadow Fight 2 Special Edition - August 17th
Tunnels & Trolls - August 17th
Super Phantom Cat 2

More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming July 2017 | A day late, and 32 bits short
iOS Gaming June 2017 | What Would Apple Do (WWAD)
iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one
iOS Gaming April 2017 | Canceled due to backlog
iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS
iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008
iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

Visit the January 2017 thread for links to all 2016 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Hardcastlemcormick for this month's thread title, as well as Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

Pachimari

I can't get into Technobabylon, I'm just stuck in it, and I hate games like that. It's also fucked how long it has taken Street Kart to get ready for release, it's starting to bite them.

Now I'm annoyed that I ever spent money on special offers for Shadow Fight since now it's getting that premium, ad-free, timer/energy-free special edition

Thread title misattributed! Hardcastlemcormick came up with this one.
Thanks, edited

NeoRaider

I just wanted to ask is anyone here using new 9.7" iPad?
I was thinking about buying one but i am not sure. Is A9 (and GPU that goes with it) enough for all games? How's the screen and battery life?

I prefer smaller tablets, like iPad Mini but they didn't update Mini this year. And specs are just not good enough.

Sorry for the bare threads the last couple of months. Had computer issues last month and away on vacation this month, so September should be back to normal

Mudo

Oops posted Egglia impressions in the old thread on accident. Here they are so far:

Egglia: Played 20 minutes. I'd hold off buying this yet lol. It's beautiful, music is nice. It "connects" after doing lots of things in the game i'm still baffled as to why it needs to connect to ANYTHING to complete a level or receive items etc. It's super fast but I don't get why it's a thing.

I think I've met 6 characters in fast succession in this time. Every single one has a different dialect. Some very formal and serious, others with 4th wall breaking speak that is honestly already driving me insane. The dialogue is extremely ALL OVER the place with the way characters speak. very jarring. Story seems ehh at the start. Overworld and how you build it is straight up Legend of Mana. You unlock new areas on the overworld and enter them (like a forest). then inside the area are a series of stages. you are on i think a hex grid and roll a dice to move that number of spaces, you can chop trees down, attack (power apparently affected by your dice roll), etc but the goal so far has been to get to the exit hex to continue.

I hope things improve! So pretty but the surroundings are underwhelming. but it was only 20 minutes lol. More in a bit

I just wanted to ask is anyone here using new 9.7" iPad?
I was thinking about buying one but i am not sure. Is A9 (and GPU that goes with it) enough for all games? How's the screen and battery life?

I prefer smaller tablets, like iPad Mini but they didn't update Mini this year. And specs are just not good enough.

I'm pretty sure you'll be good no matter what you're using. I'm still on an iPad Mini 2 and it handles pretty much any game I throw at it. I don't play a lot of 3D intensive games, but I haven't had issues with it. The Room 3 is probably the most graphically intense game I've played on the Mini 2 and it's not a perfect 60 FPS, but it's perfectly playable.

So any newer tablet like the new 9.7in will be great for anything for quite a while. I can't speak to how the iPad Mini 4 still holds up, but like I said, my Mini 2 is still running everything I throw at it without issues.

I think most devs build their games to run on as old of hardware they can, so that more people can play their games.

Mudo

More Egglia:

I had the main town introduction there's a decent amount of stuff going on to keep you busy for sure.

I now know why this requires internet to play: you can add friends and send them things and visit their towns.

Does anyone know if this game has in-app purchases? It has a lot of those FTP-gacha mechanics and also timers on things. that you can "speed up with items". I don't see anywhere to buy things with real money and REALLY hope that doesn't exist for a $10 game.

Not much more for now. You can add spirits to your party and they give attack or support boosts to you in battle depending on how you arrange them. more later unless people are sick of hearing about it. Will prob play some hours tonight after work...

PittaGAF

FFT getting a 64bit update http://toucharcade.com/2017/08/02/s...antasy-tactics-will-be-getting-64-bit-update/

I'm strongly considering it since it's on sale and I've never played it before, even though I usually don't like SRPGs. I liked FFT:A when I was in high school, but every other one I've tried I didn't care for (include Fire Emblem Awakening).

I completed it years ago on iPhone.
Imho it's a mandatory masterpiece with an outstanding story.
Basically a cute version of Game of Thrones in video game form, story wise.
Took me around 40 hours to complete (50 with the midnight dungeon).
One of the best games I ever played.

awp69

I completed it years ago on iPhone.
Imho it's a mandatory masterpiece with an outstanding story.
Basically a cute version of Game of Thrones in video game form, story wise.
Took me around 40 hours to complete (50 with the midnight dungeon).
One of the best games I ever played.

I really need to give FFT another try. I like SRPGs but am not particularly great at them and the difficulty in FFT was a real turn off. I couldn’t get past the first big battle (not the tutorial one but the much larger second fight).

Too much going on and consistently got my ass handed to me.

haveheart

Banned
I've never played a Layton game (got no Nintendos) but this definitely looks interesting. I assume it's some kind of light puzzler with story? What kind of game is this? Is there a hour long storyline that you need to follow to complete the game or can you just jump in and solve puzzle when you've got 5 minutes off?

Miracle Merchant looks pretty cool!

PittaGAF

I really need to give FFT another try. I like SRPGs but am not particularly great at them and the difficulty in FFT was a real turn off. I couldn’t get past the first big battle (not the tutorial one but the much larger second fight).

Too much going on and consistently got my ass handed to me.

It IS daunting at first but imho it's not that impossibile as it first seems.
While I played turn based games before it...it was really FFT that made the genre one of my favorite ones, mostly with its story and me scratching my head to survive the fights.
The story, especially with all those twists in the end, is one of the best in the videogame era (and I played almost everything story wise from Ultima 1 to Witcher 3) a truly memorable one.

I always wondered why they didn't do tons of sequels or why SE didn't port the spiritual sequel on iOS as well.

PittaGAF

I've never played a Layton game (got no Nintendos) but this definitely looks interesting. I assume it's some kind of light puzzler with story? What kind of game is this? Is there a hour long storyline that you need to follow to complete the game or can you just jump in and solve puzzle when you've got 5 minutes off?

Miracle Merchant looks pretty cool!

Layton is a great game (I'm midway into it).
Maybe not the best Layton (I miss the big grand mystery) but it's fantastic on iOS.
You basically solve puzzles to advance the stories...the game doesn't have (so far) a grand unique story but it's divided in shorter episodes each one with its own.
There are tons of dialogues and cutscenes, but you have even daily puzzles if you want just open the game a solve a puzzle or two.
The core of the game is the story mixed with the puzzles though.
Puzzles vary from super easy to somewhat difficult...so far I didn't find anything really super hard (you can have help in any case), the ones I screw up were because of the wording or me not being reading carefully.

haveheart

Banned
Layton is a great game (I'm midway into it).
Maybe not the best Layton (I miss the big grand mystery) but it's fantastic on iOS.
You basically solve puzzles to advance the stories...the game doesn't have (so far) a grand unique story but it's divided in shorter episodes each one with its own.
There are tons of dialogues and cutscenes, but you have even daily puzzles if you want just open the game a solve a puzzle or two.
The core of the game is the story mixed with the puzzles though.
Puzzles vary from super easy to somewhat difficult...so far I didn't find anything really super hard (you can have help in any case), the ones I screw up were because of the wording or me not being reading carefully.

Thanks for the introduction.

I just read a few reviews on Miracle Merchant. This sounds like a perfect fit for me after the fun I had with Card Thief. Layton's going on my wishlist, maybe the price will drop sometime...

PittaGAF

Thanks for the introduction.

I just read a few reviews on Miracle Merchant. This sounds like a perfect fit for me after the fun I had with Card Thief. Layton's going on my wishlist, maybe the price will drop sometime...

You can't go wrong with Miracle Merchant, it's super fun (more similar to Card Crawl than Card Thief).

Surfheart

Getting back into iOS gaming with a new iPad Pro and was wondering if anyone could recommend the best RTS style games? I enjoy base building aspects too.

Thanks!

Oynox

How are the touchu controls of FFT? Did not hear too much good about it... it is the only thing which keeps me from buying.

Avallon

More Egglia:

I had the main town introduction there's a decent amount of stuff going on to keep you busy for sure.

I now know why this requires internet to play: you can add friends and send them things and visit their towns.

Does anyone know if this game has in-app purchases? It has a lot of those FTP-gacha mechanics and also timers on things. that you can "speed up with items". I don't see anywhere to buy things with real money and REALLY hope that doesn't exist for a $10 game.

Not much more for now. You can add spirits to your party and they give attack or support boosts to you in battle depending on how you arrange them. more later unless people are sick of hearing about it. Will prob play some hours tonight after work...
No IAP.

okno

Yeah, Miracle Merchant is absolutely stunning. The depth to the gameplay is out of control for how simple it presents itself. It's a delightful surprise. Can't recommend it enough.

Yeah, Miracle Merchant is absolutely stunning. The depth to the gameplay is out of control for how simple it presents itself. It's a delightful surprise. Can't recommend it enough.
I'm going to need a few tips, because I'm enjoying it but nowhere near as much as Crawl or Thief. Where does the depth come from?

Yeah, I haven't bought MM either cause of a concern about its depth. I liked Card Thief and Card Crawl but MM just looks like CC without the progression.

Ketch

How are the touchu controls of FFT? Did not hear too much good about it... it is the only thing which keeps me from buying.

I didn't think they were very good. But the nature of the game meant it didn't really matter that much

PittaGAF

Awesome new thread as usual, thanks!!!

As apparently the game is out in September, I'm linking the Warhammer Quest: End of Times trailer once again in this new thread for more awesomeness. (My most anticipated game ever).

https://youtu.be/j9lZmATn3Q8

The devs shared a ton of new info last week over at TouchArcade forums.....SO JUICY!!!!
I'm loving every bit of new info they are sharing.
Can't really wait.

The devs shared a ton of new info last week over at TouchArcade forums.....SO JUICY!!!!
I'm loving every bit of new info they are sharing.
Can't really wait.

It's great how mega active they are in that thread. I just skimmed through and it reads like a ~4 month long interview. Seems like they are making a lot of smart choices to the game, hopefully should end up rather special.

PittaGAF

It's great how mega active they are in that thread. I just skimmed through and it reads like a ~4 month long interview. Seems like they are making a lot of smart choices to the game, hopefully should end up rather special.

Yeah.
I really hope so as well.
WHQ is still my favorite TBS ever, and it happens to be on my favorite setting ever too.
I have incredibly high expectations about this game....generally this doesn't bode well....but I'm still confident.
I really like the planned ongoing long support too, assuming the game sells well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah.
WHQ is still my favorite TBS ever, and it happens to be on my favorite setting ever too.
I have incredibly high expectations about this game....generally this doesn't bode well....but I'm still confident.
I really like the planned ongoing long support too, assuming the game sells well.

WHQ is possibly my favorite iOS game ever. It's just so fucking well done.

Also what's the consensus on Egglia? TA forums are a shit show about the online requirements, so I don't know if the game is worth $10 or not.

PittaGAF

So we are a bit past half of the year and 2017 is already an incredible year for iOS gaming.
I personally got multiple games already that in the past, singularly, would have made my year.

I was looking at my 2017 games bought list and my top five is already shaping up (I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and I'm still playing Layton, and discarded a lot of FANTASTIC games).

Race for the Galaxy
Oxenfree
Card Thief
forma.8
Kingdom: new lands

Looking forward other potential GOTY this year:

Warhammer Quest End of Times
Stasis port
Unannounced FFG game, assuming it comes out this year (I'm hoping for an announcement at Gencon)

Anyway, what a GLORIOUS™ year.

Eklesp

So we are a bit past half of the year and 2017 is already an incredible year for iOS gaming.
I personally got multiple games already that in the past, singularly, would have made my year.

I was looking at my 2017 games bought list and my top five is already shaping up (I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and I'm still playing Layton, and discarded a lot of FANTASTIC games).

Race for the Galaxy
Oxenfree
Card Thief
forma.8
Kingdom: new lands

Looking forward other potential GOTY this year:

Warhammer Quest End of Times
Stasis port
Unannounced FFG game, assuming it comes out this year (I'm hoping for an announcement at Gencon)

Anyway, what a GLORIOUS™ year.

Forma.8 seems really cool. Tried it for a bit on my iPhone but feels way too small. Probably amazing on an iPad.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've decided to go restart (and try and finish) Red's Kingdom while I wait for more impressions on Egglia. I just finished getting the 3 gems. I'm really enjoying this game more than the first time.

Tendo

Yeah.
What is whq?

awp69

Relatively small PC gaming sites, but Cat Quest is getting pretty positive reviews so far (It’s out on PC today. Still have until Thursday for iOS).

BTA

Been out of the loop on iOS stuff lately but I wanna start playing newer stuff again.

Just started Witch's Isle and want to finally play through A Normal Lost Phone since I was into the original version forever ago. Thinking of grabbing Magical Merchant as well- is there an endgame/progression in that or is it just getting a score/lasting longer?

Top Bottom