• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto teases "new franchise" for 2014

eXistor

Keeping my expectations low, I'm fully expecting a F2P game or something small, not a new IP to rival the greats.

wsippel

Banned
To be fair, isn't Wii Music the last new IP idea he has acted on in the past handful of years? Sure he brought us amazing franchises, but it's been quite a while.
Steel Diver was his last new IP. Though he was also involved in Nintendo Land of course, and he worked on that 3DS tour guide thing for the Louvre last year.

ffdgh

I have no idea what to expect. I wonder will Sakurai throw in some trophies for it in smash4 like he did for animal crossing in melee.

Fabrik

Banned
Finally! I hope this is some kind of adventure or something totally new but not real activity oriented like Wii Fit or Wii Music. An "escapism" game if you will.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Steel Diver was his last new IP. Though he was also involved in Nintendo Land of course, and he worked on that 3DS tour guide thing for the Louvre last year.

I see. None of those are really all that exciting. Let's get him back to big budget console games. I want a big budget new IP from Miyamoto.

BowieZ

Banned
If swimming is his latest hobby, maybe we get a bath keeper simulator

Miyamoto from the Gameinformer interview:

Cooking game confirmed.
I've got it!!

It's going to be a fish tank simulator with inventory and time management challenges.

The TV will be the front view of the tank, and the GamePad will be the top view where you can drop fish flakes, plant-life and obstacles, and manage the filter. When the front glass gets slimy, drop the magnetic sponge in the top and use the Wii Remote to drag it across the front of the tank to clean it.

Complete different tank challenges to unlock materials and rare fish to use in your personal tank. And get a close-up view as you become a fish and swim around your tank.

wsippel

Banned
I see. None of those are really all that exciting. Let's get him back to big budget console games. I want a big budget new IP from Miyamoto.
That's just not what he does. He never did it. Some of his concepts from many years ago became big, he never designed a "blockbuster". People need to realize this and deal with it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Are people here really allergic to using characters for new gameplay mechanics? I wonder how many here shunned Luigi's Mansion 2 because it stars a Mario character, or dismissed 3D World because "lolcat powerup, how stupid!"

Does anyone remember that Wii U concept video with standing on a balance board and balancing a teatable as a waiting actress with the controller?

gngf123

It really makes me sad to see people's reaction to a new Miyamoto IP being "probably more Mario" or "Wow, Nintendo making a new IP?".

They make a lot of new IP and those times when they do reuse characters they can often do good things with them (Luigi's Mansion).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It really makes me sad to see people's reaction to a new Miyamoto IP being "probably more Mario" or "Wow, Nintendo making a new IP?".

They make a lot of new IP and those times when they do reuse characters they can often do good things with them (Luigi's Mansion).

Eh just say "it's GAF". It usually is just posters in GAF showing that. :p

daakusedo

I don't know if it's that project that everyone is mentionning given it was a statement for some years ago,don't remember how long though, or something since the working with small team comment .
Whatever it is, it's more concrete than those previous words.
Hope it'll follow well luigi's mansion 2 and pikmin 3.

fisheyes

I want a game with new ideas that work well and result in a fun experience different to anything else around. If its on the level of Wii Sports, this is fine, because it did achieve all these things. And if it happens to be Mario character focused, as long as it achieves all the above criteria, then I'm fine with that too.... who really cares if it does or doesn't use new characters? What is the difference?

Not gonna get my hopes up...Miyamoto's last few new IPs have done nothing for me, so I'm not expecting things to change. But it's nice Nintendo's actually making something new for a change instead of sticking Mario into everything like they normally do.

I bet it's related to what Iwata was talking about here:

At the start of the E3 show this year, we announced our Wii U software lineup until 2014 mainly through Nintendo Direct, rather than holding a large-scale presentation as we did in previous years. However, we did not announce all of the games to be released during this period. Most of those who are interested in E3 are video game fans that are eager for information on so-called traditional games and we had a lot of information to be disclosed to such people. Therefore, we first tried to inform consumers of the software lineup to relieve those who might think that they should have waited to buy Wii U until more games were released or those who might be concerned whether the software lineup will be really be enriched in the future. On the other hand, when it comes to brand-new types of games, we have to announce them not too far in advance of the actual release dates in order to have a strong impact in the market and minimize the chance of others introducing similar or competing products. We are working on new types of games, but we would like to announce them much closer to their actual release timings for this reason.

We would like as many people as possible to pick up, experience and enjoy our video games. It is important to let people who originally had no interest in games, find themselves enjoying Wii U in their living room every day. We must also satisfy avid video game fans. When it comes to Wii, as “Wii Sports” spread throughout the world at a sensational speed, some misunderstood that all Wii could do is enable them to play games by moving the Wii Remote. With Wii U, therefore, we planned to satisfy existing video game fans first and provide new surprises later.

Of course, on new IPs Miyamoto moments later said this:
Also, it is sometimes said that Nintendo has recently had no new franchises. ...When some young in-house developers come up with an idea of a new franchise, I say that creating a new character does not necessarily mean creating a new franchise. In my view, a new way of playing or new use of media is necessary for a “new product” and creating a character is not the first thing to do. In this sense, “nintendogs,” “Brain Age” and “Wii Fit” are all new franchises. Few people see it this way because these games have no symbolic “character” like the existence of Mario, but they are actually contributing to our sales. I would like to continue developing video games with the view of entertaining a wide variety of people including the existing video game fans. Thank you so much for your support.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/130627qa/index.html

WillyFive

Well, if they don't pay much attention to Nintendo stuff outside the few times news for them come out; then they probably won't know much about Nintendo other than just Mario/Zelda/Metroid (the latter series hasn't had a game in forever and it's niche, yet since it's been so long since they took a look that they think it's still a big franchise).

You can't really blame them. If they spend all their time on PS3 and 360, what free time (and money) do you have to bother looking at Nintendo's offerings?

I like how it's huge news that he and Nintendo are making one new IP. Hey guys, you need about 5-10 of those and they need to be significant. Especially since your third party support is dwindling.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd pay for a Strikers-styled Mario Madden.

every time I read about Mario Strikers, I remember how much Nintendo for the Wii U should really push on their b-teams (second party or similar) for more b-games released on the platform

Mario Strikers/Punch out from NLG
Battalion Wars from Headstrong
Chibi robo from Skip
Excite Something from Monster Games
Sin & Punishment from Treasure

similar projects would really help the satisfaction level of Wii U owners, imho.

Mistle

Won't set any expectations for it yet of course, but it's good news regardless. Interested to see what form it takes.

Top Bottom