• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK K.O.! Let's be Heroes |OT| K.O.!

tumblr_oxfczisGVF1rz6w0do3_540.gif

lol

Virt put up the first volume of his OK KO soundtrack (from the first 10 episodes) on Soundcloud.

Tweet
SoundCloud

Dendy is stalking Rad?

Psxphile

Dendy is stalking Rad?

I don't really see it as stalking. Kids see something funny or out-of-the-ordinary, they tell their friends.
I guess the fact that she knew the exact time in the AM Rad does his sets could be seen as stalker-ish, but we're talking about a character who is a stickler for details.

Though it might explain why she was hanging around Rad's van without permission.

tumblr_oxfczisGVF1rz6w0do2_540.gif

yeah okay maaaaaaybe she's a stalker

I’d normally say that I’m disappointed the whole Rad and Shannon thing came about because Shannon got hit by lightning and got a different personality. But the episode was too funny for me to care.

Best jokes were probably Shannon’s “HEY RAD I’M BACK TO NORMAL AND I HATE YOU!” and Darrell revealing that he likes to reboot himself (which is basically suicide?) for fun. I love a good dark joke like that.

I don’t know if it’s intentional, but I like the irony that Lord Box Man and his robots hate friendship, but they have a fun family dynamic between them. Friendship is bad, but I guess family is ok?

Shannon is still bitter about it so she may have some leftovers feelings
If it ever gets brought up again, that would be a good way to advance the story.

Shannon didn’t really act like herself for most of this episode. So it would be a lot more interesting and funny if she was her normal self, but still had feelings for Rad.

Look, I’ll just say it: I’m hoping for homicidal, but tsundere Shannon. This show just had an AMV joke, so I wouldn’t put it past them for going down that route.

Odoul

It's nice to have just a straight comedy show that isn't super cynical, or everyone screaming at each other.

Shannon's ass-rocket tantrum was the funniest thing I've seen in a minute.

Oh wow.
I love, like, everything about
Enid's spooky, Adams Family/Munsters inspired family. The parents were especially fun.
Her mom's black Morticia Adams aesthetic is really on point.
Haha
Honestly though,
I didn't expect Enid to be a witch. That was neat suprise and conflict.
I mean...this show is so wacky and out there that I just kind of took her at face value when she said her parents are supermodel spies or whatever. Seems pretty plausible for her universe :p

There was another hint in an earlier episode as well. In Face Your Fears, one of the past Enid paintings was of her as
a young witch
which foreshadowed the reveal of her being an actual witch in Parents' Day.

Psxphile

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT

A new generation of Planeteers have arrived 🌎✊ Don't miss the action TONIGHT at 6:30!
DLt-DNZVYAAiJje.jpg
Cartoon Network

tumblr_oxkqy4SdHz1qheiz5o1_raw.png

ONIGHT ON OK K.O.!!!! storyboarded by me and haewon!
KO and a FAMILIAR HERO OF THE NOT-TOO-DISTANT PAST team up to fight an enemy that threatens us all!
it was an immense honor to board this episode! i grew up watching so much captain planet… i still cannot believe that i wrote dialogue for LeVar Burton and David Coburn!!! what a world!
Dave Alegre

aaaaaaw shit

Episode actually started a few minutes ago before 6:30pm. Thanks a lot Cartoon Network.

A few minutes in and Lord Boxman is already great by
lampshading to Dr. Blight how destroying the world makes no sense when they live on Earth.

Zubz

Banned
I'm DVR'ing this; still at home, so my sister still has the TV.

That said, it took me too damn long to get to this show. I mean, there's a character named after the Dendy. The only other time I've seen a Dendy referenced in something was in Crypt Worlds! Plus, you have a Mike Haggar clone as a sitcom-style boss... I knew about this, knew it'd be fun, & it's still better than expected. It's a goofy series, & I know not to expect big arcs, but it's had a few laugh out loud moments from me, which I absolutely appreciate.

Ogodei

That was incredible. Was that Meg Ryan (OG voice actress for Dr. Blight) reprising her role again here, like Tom Coburn and LeVar Burton?

Dr. Boxman was lowkey trying to grab her ass before Captain Planet blasted them all with water.

That was incredible. Was that Meg Ryan (OG voice actress for Dr. Blight) reprising her role again here, like Tom Coburn and LeVar Burton?

Dr. Boxman was lowkey trying to grab her ass before Captain Planet blasted them all with water.

Hey now,
Lord Boxman just wanted to hold her hand...he's evil, but he's also a lonely single dad.

I didn't get to see the entire episode because my Xfinity Stream kept freezing, but I did catch the ending.
A surprisingly sad and serious monologue about climate change, followed by a hilarious Planeteer Alert with OK KO characters in the old Captain Planet art style.
10/10 ending.

Zubz

Banned
If you've followed Ian Jones-Quartey's work from the very, very beginning, then the following info is gonna feel like a very big deal.

An upcoming episode of OK K.O. is called
A Hero's Fate
. Sound generic, but judging by leaked footage and a quick shot in a Cartoon Network ad, it's going to revolve around
Hero, the main character of Ian JQ's web comic RPG World, which started all the way back in 2000. Or at least someone that looks exactly like him.

RPG World
was one of the first webcomics I ever read 17 goddamn years ago when I was just entering high school. It was never finished because
Ian decided to focus on working in the animation industry. Even with his entire career, Ian has always been "the RPG World guy" to me.
Now we might
end up getting some sort of conclusion as part of a Cartoon Network cartoon.

To say this is mind-blowing to me is an understatement. I'm in my early 30s now and a webcomic I read as a young teen is suddenly almost coming to life and possibly
psuedo-concluded on TV.
It's surprisingly emotional to see an obscure comic character from my formative years suddenly alive and talking on screen. The closest thing I can imagine is Usagi Yojimbo fans seeing Usagi show up in cameos as part of the original TMNT series.

Holy shit. I never read RPG Quest, but that's a cool thing to do. The episode was nice enough as a non-fan.

Holy shit I love this show.

Psxphile

warning
incoming lore

warning
incoming lore

tumblr_oxrrrd2An11qbxscio1_1280.png

NEW EP OF OK KO TONIGHT! Get a glimpse into Carol's past in ”Glory Days" by me and @parkersimmonsyall​ It's a fun one, don't miss it!!

(I'd like to have done a nicer promo for this ep, but alas I am in a major crunch! Pls enjoy all the same!!)
Ryann Shannon

tumblr_oxrx5hP1tr1s2usqro1_1280.png

Glory Days premieres TONIGHT at 6:30! meet the POINT of the past! boarded by the amazing @ryannshannon & @parkersimmonsyall !!! I'm very excited for this one to premiere so I wanted to draw somethin.
Julia Srednicki, OK K.O. Character Designer

Also noticed that zap2it updated with some new episode titles:
Episode 39: Let's Take A Moment
Episode 40: Back in Red Action

also it seems they're going to frame an episode around the pilot?
Let's Watch The Pilot
KO, Rad, and Enid watch the Lakewood Plaza Turbo pilot.

No idea where this fits in. Short? But the pilot wasn't all that short to being with...

Zubz

Banned
Man, I loved Nerd Gar. Also how Dana Snyder has a noted inability to never not sound like Dana Snyder. No matter what role he's in, I immediately think of the Alchemist or Master Shake.

Psxphile

Looks like Plazalympics is back on for next Friday:
Promo thing

"Plaza Shorts 1" is also supposed to premiere that day. CN calling it a "special" might mean they'll air both?

Doctor Blight was super entertaining in the Captain Planet crossover.
She was so flirty and over the top, I love the way they animated her and the voice acting was spot on.
I certainly don't remember her being very charming in the actual show.

Also hearing Kwame say "let our powers combine!" paired with that signature summoning music was surprisingly nostalgic for me.

vypek

I didn't see a lot of Captain Planet but saw enough that the episode was pretty nostalgic.

And the second episode was even better. At this moment I might prefer a series about P.O.I.N.T instead

Blues1990

Finally caught up with this show, and it's a ball of fun. Still amazed they got the rights to do a Captain Planet-lite episode for this series. And it's straight up the original characters and voice actors from that show, not knock-offs.

Also, Carol (as Silver Spark) gives me ideas.
Horrible, filthy, ideas.

Finally caught up with this show, and it's a ball of fun. Still amazed they got the rights to do a Captain Planet-lite episode for this series. And it's straight up the original characters and voice actors from that show, not knock-offs.

Horrible, filthy, ideas.

It's okay friend.

I think she's hot too

Horrible, filthy, ideas.

Hehe
According to Ian on the Pizza Party Podcast, Cartoon Network was just like "Sure, you can use it. We own it, do whatever you want." in regards to them using Captain Planet.
From what I've heard, CN is a bit more lax than Disney or even Nickelodeon is about these kinds of things.

Also in order to use his old RPG World web comic within "OK KO!" he had to essentially get permission from himself.
Imagine signing a few papers that essentially exists to ask YOU if YOU will let YOURSELF use the thing that YOU created.

It's so wacky, I love that kind of weird legal stuff. lol

Blues1990

Hehe
According to Ian on the Pizza Party Podcast, Cartoon Network was just like "Sure, you can use it. We own it, do whatever you want." in regards to them using Captain Planet.
From what I've heard, CN is a bit more lax than Disney or even Nickelodeon is about these kinds of things.

Also in order to use his old RPG World web comic within "OK KO!" he had to essentially get permission from himself.
Imagine signing a few papers that essentially exists to ask YOU if YOU will let YOURSELF use the thing that YOU created.

It's so wacky, I love that kind of weird legal stuff. lol

For the first point, that doesn't surprise me. I've seen similar licencing contracts go through on some of the shows that I designed/storyboarded on, even so far as to get the legal right to emulate a knock off licensed song.

Let that one sink in for a bit.

As for the second point, that would be pretty hilarious, but I also understand they need to get all the legal mumbo-jumbo sorted.

Top Bottom