• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

Malyse

Alice Isn't Dead had a pretty strong first episode, but what I really really really hated about it is the (possibly intentional?) low quality recording. Her esses are some of the strongest and worst esses I've experienced in a professionally produced podcast. Maybe they wanted to give the impression of her recording from her truck, but when my ears recoil in terror to something I'm not usually all that sensitive to, I question the prioritization of stylistic integrity.

Honestly? After the Night Vale audiobook I'm pretty good with whatever.

Ophelion

Listened to the first episode of Alice isn't Dead. It is... Interesting. It's way more unnerving and open about how dark it is and I definitely see some potential, but I hope it doesn't go too far in the style over substance style the first episode is alluding towards; unlike Welcome to Night Vale I hope this one has a good pace in regards to story, and that the creators already know what it's leading to and aren't making it up as they go. Nikol does an amazing job; I loved her in Fringe, I love her in Night Vale and she sounds incredible here as well.

I really liked it too. The kind of...I guess I'll call it a rising action moment of the first episode really creeped me out. I don't even know what to think of the antagonist of this series. So disturbing in its believability right up until the moment they pushed it over the edge.
I felt phantom pain twinges from the description of what he did to that truck driver. Had the creeping willies all over everywhere when the podcast was over.

Given they have a set date for when this podcast will end, I'm guessing they've got a story planned all the way out from beginning to end too, so that's good.

Seems really great.

Halcyon

I am hooked on Hello from the Magic Tavern. I gave it a go awhile back but was more interested in information based things, but for some reason with Spring looming and the warm weather I've really gotten into Magic Tavern.

I love their interactions and when something is so absurd that they start breaking character and laughing.

Seconded. You hopped out too fast.
you should listen to the Night Vale episode: A Story About You immediately
yeah, listen to a bunch of the early ones to get the vibe
then get stoned at night and listen to this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pFw2CfHErSQ
Yeah, the first time I tried to get into Night Vale, it didn't click. Now I'm really into it; the show definitely has arcs and recurring elements and characters, but they're built up gradually. But the main appeal for me is just seeing what crazy thing happens in the town next, more than the story arcs

Alright, alright. I'll try to get back into it. I just didn't like the vibe early on that much. I was hoping for scary stories and not three headed dragons driving cars or something like that. Very weird stuff that didn't click with me all that much.

I still can't wait until I get to Alice isn't Dead. My podcast backlog is kinda long right now (27 hours), so it might take another week. What's the release schedule?

I'm also giving the recommended No Sleep Podcast episodes a shot and I was pretty let town by the Season 6 episode (Black Magic, The Doll and something else). The way it's narrated makes it feel like spooky campfire stories for little kids and the host hamming it up to the max definitely attributes to that. The way it's overacted kinda destroys the immersion for me.

Luckily I got the chance to listen to "Security Cameras", which was way more up my alley. While super predictable, the story (and narration) was pretty good. The sound design, too. It gave me chills and I like that, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

That said, the format might still not be for me. The stories are very short and the quality between each story varies a lot. But if you guys can recommend more episodes, I'm all for it.

I still can't wait until I get to Alice isn't Dead. My podcast backlog is kinda long right now (27 hours), so it might take another week. What's the release schedule?
Ha, you and me both. I have like a revolving playlist of Night Vale, The Dollop, My Brother My Brother and Me, The Short Game, etc., with the occasional Hardcore History thrown in. I actually don't watch that much TV week-to-week anymore, beside Flash and TWD, so now podcasts give me that weekly anticipation

You'll like Alice Isn't Dead; it's unsettling and creepy in a way that Night Vale never was. Well, the first episode anyway

Malyse

Don't even talk to me about podcast backlog
Jd8ipKf.jpg

Majestad

Banned
Alice isn't dead first episode was pretty interesting. I also love how there's another podcast that takes place in Washington.

Anyone have an issue with Alice Isn't Dead where you fast forward and somehow it skips back like 10 minutes? It's happened to me with both episodes when I skipped through the commercials and hasn't happened with any other podcast. The annoying thing is it's sometimes hard to catch because of the nature of the podcast and clips being cut off and started abruptly.

Malyse

Anyone have an issue with Alice Isn't Dead where you fast forward and somehow it skips back like 10 minutes? It's happened to me with both episodes when I skipped through the commercials and hasn't happened with any other podcast. The annoying thing is it's sometimes hard to catch because of the nature of the podcast and clips being cut off and started abruptly.

What is this commercial you speak of?

What is this commercial you speak of?

Not really a commercial but the sponsor stuff near the end of the podcast. I'm so used to just skipping between podcasts that as soon as the guy starts talking I hit skip and all of a sudden the podcasts skips backward about 10 minutes. It's very weird, but it's only happening with this podcast.

Smo21

Finally I find this thread. Been listening to the black takes podcast since the other thread we used to have here that was recommending that tanis and lore.

Does anyone else skip a couple episodes and binge listen?

Malyse

Not really a commercial but the sponsor stuff near the end of the podcast. I'm so used to just skipping between podcasts that as soon as the guy starts talking I hit skip and all of a sudden the podcasts skips backward about 10 minutes. It's very weird, but it's only happening with this podcast.
That's a good way to miss stingers.

So I've really fallen hard for King Falls AM. It starts getting real good about seven or eight episodes in and the characters are really likable. I only wish it was longer than 20 minutes an episode and came out every week rather than every two. But then, I can't really expect them to be able to write and produce that much content, so I'll take what I can get.

This post made me check it out and I have to say it has been great so far. I'm up to the electrocolipse and Jack in the Box Jesus.

Malyse

Oh no.

No why.

I just found two separate lists of 400+ audio dramas and podcast novels. I'm literally never going to catch up.

Anyone been keeping up with Alice Isn't Dead? It's up to episode 4

I already dropped it after episode 3. I thought it was fairly boring and not really creepy. Certainly not what I was looking for.

E: The scene on the parking lot and in the diner before it was pretty good, but after that it just didn't feel as good anymore. The constant rambling was also starting to get on my nerves. Alice this, Alice that, oh Alice, you lied to me, yadda yadda.

Swamped

Banned
I have yet to listen to an episode of Hello from the Magic Tavern that I would describe as anything less than "good". Some are absolutely fucking hilarious. None have been bad! I would recommend this podcast without hesitation to anyone who is into the idea of a comical take on a stereotypical fantasy world.

It was because of this comment I started listening to this and omg I'm addicted. I'm on episode 22. It feels like I'm listening to (incredibly witty and talented) friends chatting. And every episode so far contains at least one joke that makes me laugh out. Those characters have so much great chemistry, including the guest stars. I'd highly recommend this too.

Chorazin

Oh hey a thread for all these weird podcasts I like! *furiously adds more to Pocket Casts*

Anyone else listening to King's Falls A.M.?

i am and i love it

can't wait to listen to episode 4 tonight

I'm going to listen to it this week, along with the new episode of Night Vale! Can't wait for Sunday when I'll be at the Philly live Night Vale show!

Russ T

Banned
It was because of this comment I started listening to this and omg I'm addicted. I'm on episode 22. It feels like I'm listening to (incredibly witty and talented) friends chatting. And every episode so far contains at least one joke that makes me laugh out. Those characters have so much great chemistry, including the guest stars. I'd highly recommend this too.

:D

Glad I had enough influence to convince someone else to get into it! I still love it!

Ophelion

Anyone been keeping up with Alice Isn't Dead? It's up to episode 4

I'm still into it. Listening to chapter 4 right now, thanks for reminding me.

So far, I've really enjoyed it. I almost question the order of the first two chapters though. I kind of feel like chapter 2 would have better set up the main character and her motivations and then the Thistle Man could've been brought in on chapter 2. The way they did it is more mysterious and menacing up front, but I feel like caring about the narrator is probably of the greatest imperative and chapter 2 is so much more about her and her drives and her life.

But maybe that'd make for too much Thistle Man back to back. Would maybe make it seem like the whole podcast from then on out would be Narrator vs Thistle Man with no interruptions.

Just finished chapter 4. Very interesting. This show is very bleak and austere. Both of their non-Thistle Man episodes have been about existential dread over the passage of time. I guess that ties into the sense that the narrator lost Alice and she's not exactly sure when it happened. Like, listening to her talk about Alice, it seems like from her perspective Alice was there and then, suddenly, she wasn't. When stopping by the town that's always the same no matter how she finds it, the narrator blamed Alice for its presence. I wonder what that's all about...and also, why she didn't accuse Alice of whatever happened at the Factory by the Sea. I wonder what Alice has to do with any of this stuff. I wonder why any of this is happening. I'm not sure this is the kind of show where I'll get answers though. Not all of them, anyway.

Hello from the Magic Tavern and King Falls AM are both great. Still don't like Night Vale. Tried the book too, hoping the stronger narrative direction might make it work for me. Nope.

It just meanders too much.

Malyse

Hello from the Magic Tavern and King Falls AM are both great. Still don't like Night Vale. Tried the book too, hoping the stronger narrative direction might make it work for me. Nope.

It just meanders too much.
The book is kinda awful though.

------

I definitely just spent two days typing a massive update to the list only to lose it all in abriwser crash.

Update will be delayed.

Chorazin

The book is kinda awful though.

------

I definitely just spent two days typing a massive update to the list only to lose it all in abriwser crash.

Update will be delayed.

The book was great for the description of the Library, but that was kinda it. Definitely meh about it.

The new episode was great, finally they're moving to the main plot with the new bad guys. Still hoping that the five headed dragon breaks out and dies fighting them, both to just be done with that dumb character and to give him a fitting end, since that plot has gone on too long to just drop unceremoniously.

Lach

There is a new podcast by Adal Rifai (Chuntttttt in HftmT) called "Siblings Peculiar"

Ten years after their paranormal investigator parents were lost in the fabric of time and space, siblings Adam and Sarah Peculiar decided to start a podcast. The goal? To peer into the supernatural, expose government secrets and gain any information possible about the whereabouts of their mom and dad. OPEN YOUR EYES!
https://siblingspeculiar.com/

Chorazin

Wow, Night Vale's Ghost Stories one of the best episodes of Night Vale in a while. Can't wait for them to release a recording so I can hear it again!

rukland

Amazing list, so glad I saw this thread. I am on such a podcast kick these days. Since I have given up TV completely. I had been trying to find things like this, subscribed and can't wait to dive into some of these. Starting with The Black Tapes now and really already digging it.

banjo5150

Thanks for this. I have looked for things like this in the past with poor results. With my job I drive a lotime, these will help pass the time.

Malyse

Bloody hell. Almost 20,000 words later, I've finally finished the overhaul of the OP. There's a whole hell of a lot more podcasts listed now. Enjoy!

Russ T

Banned
Bloody hell. Almost 20,000 words later, I've finally finished the overhaul of the OP. There's a whole hell of a lot more podcasts listed now. Enjoy!

Damn that's some work. Thanks!

I'm currently catching up on Friends at the Table (after catching up on The Adventure Zone). But once I do, I'll have to start diving into these recommendations in earnest...

Rootbeer

Banned
WTF at the ant story from No Sleep podcast S07E03...

Sometimes I wonder if the authors of some of these stories are just trolling.

Faynwulf

I usually listen to podcasts on my pc but it is really tiresome to keep being updated on so many different sites. Is there any programm or website that combine them all into one place, like apps on ios/android usually do?

frequency

I use gPodder but there are a lot of programs out there you can look for. I think that type of program is called a "podcatcher" so you can search for that and find one that suits you.

Top Bottom