• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

scitek

It goes beyond 3 apparently. I set it to HDAO in-game and it says SSAOLevel="6" in my GamerProfile

Huh, interesting. The first time I opened the config file was after I had played it in DX9 for the first time and it was set to 3. I figured that was standard SSAO, but who knows.

scitek

We have a winner! SSAO set to 6 in the config works in DX9, looks way better than the default SSAO, and still gives me 60fps.

6xto36.png

Compare it to 3 up there, it's way more subtle, and looks more accurate around the gun IMO.

KyleN

Banned
We have a winner! SSAO set to 6 in the config works in DX9, looks way better than the default SSAO, and still gives me 60fps.

Compare it to 3 up there, it's way more subtle, and looks more accurate around the gun IMO.

Wow so HDAO works on DX9? Nice, Bye bye DX11, HDAO was the only reason i used you. Now back to 60 fps locked.<3

Sethos

Banned
Can one of you do a comparison between DX9 and DX11 HDAO? Because HDAO should be ingrained in DirectX 11 and very much exclusive to DX11 due to its rendering nature.

Sethos

Banned
Why? You can even do it on console (Halo Reach).

That was a heavily modified form yes, means they basically took it, stripped it down and made it work with the 360. However HDAO in its barebone form is a DirectX 11 exclusive feature. So I just wanted to see if Ubisoft implemented a reworked version ( i.e not really a DX11 feature ) or when enabling it under DX9 it'll just use a different type despite saying HDAO.

You can make everything work under DX9/10 pretty much, DX11 features are meant as 'easy access' to high end features without too much work and coding.

blanky

Alright so I was changing my settings to get some better performance (i5 2500K, 580 GTX, beta drivers) and I went from 2 hardlocks to a blue screen. I haven't had an issue with my pc before far cry, so could this be a game problem?

scitek

Can one of you do a comparison between DX9 and DX11 HDAO? Because HDAO should be ingrained in DirectX 11 and very much exclusive to DX11 due to its rendering nature.

Here ya go. There is a difference, but there's a 16 fps difference in performance for me, too. DX11 I get 44fps, DX9's pretty much a locked 60. Maybe it's just more accurate SSAO? It looks better to me, at least, than the default SSAO.

Sethos

Banned
Appreciate it man.

HDAO is already very subtle and going DX9 does appear to turn it down even further, however I'd probably need to see it up against buildings and AO heavy objects as the only thing you can really see in your pictures is 4-5 patches of it on the ground near grass. I wouldn't mind going DX9 either as AO is the only DX11 feature I'm using but I am fond of some AO and HDAO is already cutting it thin. It starts to move further out again from the object which means less accuracy, so it's definitely using some form of mild SSAO or HBAO.

scitek

Appreciate it man.

HDAO is already very subtle and going DX9 does appear to turn it down even further, however I'd probably need to see it up against buildings and AO heavy objects as the only thing you can really see in your pictures is 4-5 patches of it on the ground near grass. I wouldn't mind going DX9 either as AO is the only DX11 feature I'm using but I am fond of some AO and HDAO is already cutting it thin. It starts to move further out again from the object which means less accuracy, so it's definitely using some form of mild SSAO or HBAO.

Yeah, I like AO too. I'm at work now, so I'll post some more comparisons later if I can. I'll try to get the game to spawn me indoors somewhere so I can get two images in the exact same place.

Ledsen

Wait wait DX9 HDAO? If it retains the same quality that would let me go from 50-60 fps to a constant 60, maybe even raise some other setting along with it... this need further research you guys!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
For the people with microstutter, have you tried setting your GPU 'Power Mangement Mode' in Nvidia Inspector to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' ? It's a shot in the dark but that is known to cause issues if the card is being taxed but at the same time trying to speedstep itself, so to speak which leads to stuttering.

Tried it, no dice :(

Salsa

oh god no please let the microstutter demon be away from this game

anyone having that with a 680? I know Corky has a 670 and that's basically the same :(

scitek

anyone having that with a 680? I know Corky has a 670 and that's basically the same :(

670 here. When I play in DX9 and get 60fps (pretty much the whole time), it's very smooth, otherwise it stutters horribly.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I had bad micro stutter with Deus Ex. Reducing the resolution to 720 fixed it. Only game that I have had this problem with recently.

mandiller

Gibbo

Hey Guys I'm at the lost here- not sure if you can help. My specs are HD 7870 / I5-350

Playing on DX9, High Settings, it feels like the game is running at close to 60fps. However everything is very jerky. Bumping it to high or ultra, it gets even worse. Everytime I move my camera around, it looks as tho I lose a few frames when I swing the camera from point A to Point B (Think closing your Eye for one second when you move your head from left to right for one second)

Any idea what might be the issue? I think my GPU should have no problems on High and I have updated my drivers to 12.11 Beta

Ledsen

Ok I tested some! What do you guys make of this? I'd say DX11 HDAO still looks best. Dat sharp DX9 bookcase shadow. Haven't checked for character halos.

First pic: DX11, no AO
Second pic: DX9, AO=5 in GamerProfile
Third pic: DX9, AO=6 in GamerProfile
Fourth pic: DX11, AO=HDAO (6 in GamerProfile)

c0Zm1c

I get it on my 690, no matter what settings I try, DX9, forced AO off, everything on low, you name it. :(

scitek

Hey Guys I'm at the lost here- not sure if you can help. My specs are HD 7870 / I5-350

Playing on DX9, High Settings, it feels like the game is running at close to 60fps. However everything is very jerky. Bumping it to high or ultra, it gets even worse. Everytime I move my camera around, it looks as tho I lose a few frames when I swing the camera from point A to Point B (Think closing your Eye for one second when you move your head from left to right for one second)

Any idea what might be the issue? I think my GPU should have no problems on High and I have updated my drivers to 12.11 Beta
Try changing the pre-rendered frames or whatever it's called to 1.

scitek

Ok I tested some! What do you guys make of this? I'd say DX11 HDAO still looks best.

I agree it looks the best, but it's not worth the performance hit IMO.

Speaking of, why does DX11 run worse than DX9 with the same settings? Extra features in under Post FX maybe?

Edit: Sorry DP. On my phone.

JRW

I have a smoother framerate with the Max gpu buffered frames set at 3, on the default 1 I get a lot of random / sudden FPS drops. The only downside is a slightly increased input lag with it set on 3. (i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / GTX 480 / 310.64 driver)

Zeliard

SSAO and HBAO as implemented in this game are exaggerated and create this ugly halo effect around NPCs, making them appear outlined. HDAO is at least the cleaner option.

Which "SSAO method" is best for performance?

That should be SSAO I think but you can also disable it completely via the configuration file :)

Also I somehow broke DX9 on my game, whenever I switch to DX9 and restart the game stutters very heavily as if some sort of frame-skipping is going on o.o Does anyone have a idea about this? :/

Oh damn, this game looks damn good and runs smooth (locked at 60fps). DAT INTRO was nice.

EVGA GTX 660ti | 3570k @ 4.2GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 310.64 Beta Drivers

Happy with these settings. I'd like AA, but even 2xMSAA brings me down to 45fps.

H2Yo

Runs great on my rig:

i7 860
8GB RAM
GTX660ti

Ultra on DX11.

During the cutscene sequences (like the cages intro), it dips to about 30fps but otherwise it's smooth as silk.

Hunting Sharks for my wallet is terrifying!

nOoblet16

Here ya go. There is a difference, but there's a 16 fps difference in performance for me, too. DX11 I get 44fps, DX9's pretty much a locked 60. Maybe it's just more accurate SSAO? It looks better to me, at least, than the default SSAO.

If you want to show contact shadowing then an open field in broad daylight isn't really is good example (But then from what I know the default SSAO is extremely harsh and gets applied everywhere).
Also, in the 2nd picture (which seems to be DX11 and so HDAO I guess) I can still see AO shadows from grass in the lower right corner of screen....this should not happen.

reektann

Oh damn, this game looks damn good and runs smooth (locked at 60fps). DAT INTRO was nice.

EVGA GTX 660ti | 3570k @ 4.2GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 310.64 Beta Drivers

Happy with these settings. I'd like AA, but even 2xMSAA brings me down to 45fps.

Great settings. I just tested these - bumped the PostFX up to Medium and run MSAA on 2x for a good 50-60fps

GTX 670
i5 2500k @ 4.3
8gb RAM

I know some people don't think the game looks very impressive, but I think it looks damn good.

Performance-wise, it seems as though I'll eventually be able to run the game with everything maxed and 4xMSAA at 60 fps, but at the moment I get a horrendous amount of stuttering unless I use double buffering. It's a shame as it looks incredible running at 60 fps, but I assume things will be worked out over the coming days/weeks.

2x7970
i7 920 @ 4.2
6GB RAM
Ultra w/ HBAO, 4xMSAA, 1920x1080

I know some people don't think the game looks very impressive, but I think it looks damn good.

Performance-wise, it seems as though I'll eventually be able to run the game with everything maxed and 4xMSAA at 60 fps, but at the moment I get a horrendous amount of stuttering unless I use double buffering. It's a shame as it looks incredible running at 60 fps, but I assume things will be worked out over the coming days/weeks.

2x7970
i7 920 @ 4.2
6GB RAM

I'm curious, have you tried windowed mode?

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I need help. You heard anything about a bug that would suddenly destroy the FPS ingame?

I play all night yesterday in 1080p with DX11 enabled, 4x MSAA and a mix of medium-high-very high settings. It was running fine between 55 and 65 fps and looked great.

Now, today, I come back from work and boot the game and I barely get 40fps in best conditions. I'm mostly around 30 normally. I didn't change any settings, didn't change anything on my pc but suddenly it runs like crap.

I'm on a i5-2400, 8gigs of ram and a 570 running on the beta drivers that came out yesterday.

Any help?

ZoddGutts

Game looks so damn good. Makes me wish Crytek would do another open world Crysis game, shame their too busy making linear shooters now.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

2x7970
i7 920 @ 4.2
6GB RAM

What voltages should I run to get my i7 up to 4.2? I have an aftermarket cooler which keeps it nice and cool when at 3.8Ghz if I can bump it up anymore is love to.

Portugeezer

I had bad micro stutter with Deus Ex. Reducing the resolution to 720 fixed it. Only game that I have had this problem with recently.

A lot of people had problems with that in Deus Ex, they released a patch but many people still had problems. Seems it was caused by the way the game streamed data, but wasn't too bad except when you had to move around the cities a lot.

noomi

so I don't know if I'm missing something here, but I am unable to to see any difference between MSAA being off or set at 8.

There is also no FPS change while switching through MSAA options... weird...

Did I break something? Still seeing jaggies here :(

Top Bottom