• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Looks like Walmart is also giving away a $100 gift card with purchase of the phone during the weekend. You buy it for $100 and get the card after the fact. Might go this direction myself. Good time to buy a phone.
Does this work for T-Mobile as well? TMO seems to be the redheaded stepchild of BF Cellphone sales.

mileS

Got my S4 a couple of days ago. I had a free screen protector installed as part of the package, looked fine at the store, but now that I have it home its completely awful. It makes things blurry and bright colors have this bad rainbow effect.

I'm the type of person that takes good care of my stuff, and I'm starting to wonder if I even need a screen protector. I've had my iPod touch (1st gen) since the day it came out, have used it just about every single day, take it with me everywhere. To this day theres still not a scratch on the screen. I'm not familiar with the type of glass used in that thing compared to the S4. Google searches seem to be all over the place. Lots of people just getting scratches putting it in their pocket, some are fine.

I'd rather have some opinions from GAF in this thread.

Got my S4 a couple of days ago. I had a free screen protector installed as part of the package, looked fine at the store, but now that I have it home its completely awful. It makes things blurry and bright colors have this bad rainbow effect.

I'm the type of person that takes good care of my stuff, and I'm starting to wonder if I even need a screen protector. I've had my iPod touch (1st gen) since the day it came out, have used it just about every single day, take it with me everywhere. To this day theres still not a scratch on the screen. I'm not familiar with the type of glass used in that thing compared to the S4. Google searches seem to be all over the place. Lots of people just getting scratches putting it in their pocket, some are fine.

I'd rather have some opinions from GAF in this thread.

Out of 4 iPhones and then this phone for almost a year, I've only ever had a scratch on the screen once, it was my iPhone 4 and I asked my gf to hold it in her pocketbook for a few hours and it got scratched.

I haven't had any issues with this screen. I too take very good care of my electronics

Salaadin

Any suggestions for a good music app that handles metadata over Bluetooth correctly?

Poweramp is finicky with it and will either only update the metadata if I manually change the song but won't if the song changes by itself or vice versa. Sometimes, it just won't update at all.

The default s4 player seems to handle it ok but I'm not that crazy about its looks.

Hasney

My USB ports gone, which appears to be increasingly common. I'm going to send it to Samsung after the holidays, but for now I got an official external USB battery charger with extra battery for £15, which isn't a bad deal.

Wads

Banned
I have burn-in on white screens from the address bar on the browser... anybody else have this problem?

I use the web a lot, but didn't think this would be a problem...

McLovin

I know I'm lttp, but I just got an S4 for metro pcs and the strangest thing happened. As soon as I activate it and put in my info I get a an invite through google talk. I just ignore it, but a few minutes I get an email saying I had a suspicious log in attempt in another state. I didn't even accept the invite. Do you guys think it was just a coincidence that after 10+ years Is this kind of thing normal 9+ years of never having my gmail password compromised this happened within a minute of activating this phone? I would have brushed it off, but I also get metro ads inside other apps. The whole thing seems fishy to me.
Oh yeah after I changed the password I got another invite within a minute, this time I blocked it. Haven't had any more problems since then.

Samsung announces Black Edition S4.... for Russia

Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Black-Edition.jpg

That looks really cool.

Galaxy S5 must be right around the corner, I have an upgrade and will more than likely be pulling the trigger.

Hasney

Tried to do a software update, it failed after the updating apps screen, but now my phone is mental. Trying to turn on WiFi says an application was detected doing unpermitted things and that message comes up every so often on it's own anyway.

Only repair I've seen involves flashing the stock ROM, which requires the USB port to function. Samsung customer service are being dicks and reckon my phone was damaged via user because the logo is fading and the screen has a minor cosmetic scratch in it which has no bearing on the USB port which seems to be failing at an alarming rate on launch models.

Same thing happened with my Samsung TV to be honest, even though that failed outside of warranty. They had to be forced by a large group of people to admit there was a problem with the cheap transistors they used. My TV went before it got to that point so repaired that myself too. Looks like I'm going to have to do that with the USB board, but since this one is in warranty and they're being dicks, I'm out of patience with Samsung products.

Going back to Apple probably. Really enjoyed being away from iOS, but I do love their customer service when shit goes wrong. Just walked into the Apple store, told them my phone went for a swim, dude checked to see if the water damage indicators had gone or would have replaced it under warranty anyway despite my honesty, they had, but still only £60 for a replacement iPhone 4S which was still the latest at that point.

McLovin

So I'm late to the party, got this phone like a month ago and the screen cracked in my pocket. I honestly thought people lied about this kind of thing. I even have that cool s4 cover with caller I'd window. This freaking sucks, I have no insurance and I bought this thing for metro pcs, so no subsidizing.

So I'm late to the party, got this phone like a month ago and the screen cracked in my pocket. I honestly thought people lied about this kind of thing. I even have that cool s4 cover with caller I'd window. This freaking sucks, I have no insurance and I bought this thing for metro pcs, so no subsidizing.

If its just the glass you can take it to a mall kiosk and they can fix it for less than $70.

If the digitizer broke you will have to send it to samsung and they will replace it for $200

McLovin

If its just the glass you can take it to a mall kiosk and they can fix it for less than $70.

If the digitizer broke you will have to send it to samsung and they will replace it for $200
I think it's just the glass, if it's 70 then it's not so bad. But why did they make it so weak. It really was in my pocket:/

rezuth

That sounds like production error unless you sat down on it or had it stressed across your leg with a lot of force on it etc. I would whine at Samsung.

Hasney

That sounds like production error unless you sat down on it or had it stressed across your leg with a lot of force on it etc. I would whine at Samsung.

lol good luck with that. They're shocking at even sorting internal issues under warranty.

I haven't gotten answers anyone else so I hope someone here can help.

My screen flickers green REALLY bad when the brightness is dimmed to near the lowest setting. You can't see it flickering when the brightness is half-way or higher, but it's obnoxious to see whenever the screen dims. Factory reset didn't fix it. My warranty is also void, so I can't send it in.

Hasney

I haven't gotten answers anyone else so I hope someone here can help.

My screen flickers green REALLY bad when the brightness is dimmed to near the lowest setting. You can't see it flickering when the brightness is half-way or higher, but it's obnoxious to see whenever the screen dims. Factory reset didn't fix it. My warranty is also void, so I can't send it in.

Try going into settings, my device, accessory and turn off automatic unlock. Can be caused by a faulty magnetic sensor. If not, it can be caused by too much pressure on the screen in the past and it'll be hardware.

Is it an i9000 (non American/UK) one by any chance? It seems to be common in that model.

I've got an s4 active and i cant figure out how to update the os. Im on Android 4.2.2 but when i go to check for software updates it says none are available. I know this can't be true because they're rolling out 4.4. Any suggestions?

McLovin

Phone cracked for the 4th time. It hasnt even been a week since i fixed the last crack. The fix before that lasted 2 weeks, the one before that a month. Im never buying a galaxy phone again. I'm so pissed I might even switch to an iPhone.

Hasney

Phone cracked for the 4th time. It hasnt even been a week since i fixed the last crack. The fix before that lasted 2 weeks, the one before that a month. Im never buying a galaxy phone again. I'm so pissed I might even switch to an iPhone.

Nah, don't write off Android based on this awful phone. I've had even more problems than cracks (damn USB port) but it's this shitty Samsung phone. Sony, Nexus, LG, HTC and Moto devices (and hell, even the Note line) are much better than this abortion.

Going on 18-19 months with mine and I've found it very durable. I don't use a case and have dropped it numerous times with nothing more to show for it than a couple of dings on the side. Are cracked screens a common thing on the s4s?

Going on 18-19 months with mine and I've found it very durable. I don't use a case and have dropped it numerous times with nothing more to show for it than a couple of dings on the side. Are cracked screens a common thing on the s4s?

No.

I had mine for a year and a half and dropped it once or twice and not a scratch. My girl has had hers since launch and dropped it God knows how many times and no cracks or anything, just dings around the edge.

Hasney

Mine was a broken USB port, which was pretty common in the launch models from what I've read. Unfortunately, Samsungs UK support is outsourced and god awful so I couldn't get it replaced under warranty because the logo was ever so slightly scratched, so it was my fault.

Just means I'll never have a Samsung product again, because I had a similar fight with them over them using cheap capacitors in their HDTVs around 2005 where they only lasted 3 years.

i don't know how my mother's GS4 still works. i swear almost every time i see her, she's dropping it or something. and she always has it in her back pocket. it's in a slim rubber case and the last time i looked at it, it's still in good shape. 20 months old too...

Afrikan

Can anyone recommend a good battery extender case? I don't need it to have the highest battery power....but just reliable and slim as possible.

I can't let go of my S4. It drives me nuts at times, but that's probably because I have too many apps and haven't updated the Android OS to the newest version.

I still like my phone.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Can anyone recommend a good battery extender case? I don't need it to have the highest battery power....but just reliable and slim as possible.

I can't let go of my S4. It drives me nuts at times, but that's probably because I have too many apps and haven't updated the Android OS to the newest version.

I still like my phone.
I have an Anker battery. It's pretty thick and to be honest the back plate is a little cheap and flimsy, but the battery lasts forever. My S4 is my son's game phone now, but it just keeps on trucking. I had to replace the screen the other day, but that was surprisingly easy.

Top Bottom