• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quarantine Mafia |OT| The Contagion is spreading.

Faddy

Banned
I think we were definitely the bestest winners. Faddy definitely our MVP for discovering the existence of the board with his probe N1.

ty

We were the first winners which is super important. Like Scotland at rugby today!

Sawneeks

Banned
Thanks for making me Director btw, that was a fun role.

I was totally ready to throw myself into the inferno for the good of the majority if it would help you all sleep better at night. Kinda glad it never came to that but I was ready to die. :x

although I did jokingly tell Dusk after I got elected that I hoped to be Infected because it would have been really funny

Karkador

Banned
Thanks for making me Director btw, that was a fun role.

I was totally ready to throw myself into the inferno for the good of the majority if it would help you all sleep better at night. Kinda glad it never came to that but I was ready to die. :x

although I did jokingly tell Dusk after I got elected that I hoped to be Infected because it would have been really funny

Didn't appreciate your dictatorial turn on D2, though I was planning on pushing for Dictator to die anyway

Since we won, I'm glad no one listened to me.

But still, I liked that complexity of the game, and I loved that the corporate faction revealed themselves. It made the game much more fun to me.

Good game everyone.

I'm still not 100% on the way infection worked, BUT we won.

Town MVP- Karkador

His "I'm infected" fake claim, frazzled the board group making them more and more reckless as the game went on. This allowed town to pull the tools and info needed from them to win the game.

Neutral MVP- faddy

very good D1 read helped his faction find the passcards they needed to get out.

Scum MVP- Ourobolus/Swamped

both poised themselves to make deep runs after 11037 was taken out. hidden game mechanics worked against them. Though to be honest none on the scum team had much to work with.

Best Gambit - "Don't vote for me"

Sawneeks late day campaign to snatch directorship from Natiko when most people had resigned that Natiko would win.

Best Shitposter- fat4all

his gifs and image macros were always on fleek. Even used them to respond to PMs.

Best Faction - The fugitives

definitely the front runners

Whose vaccine did Kalor stole? Because both fat4all and acohrs used theirs so it would be mine. But if he tried to do it night 2 as he said I was defended by acohrs so he couldn't be able to do it.
It was yours he stole. His steal command wasn't blockable.

Did everyone's History do anything or was it a red herring like Spirit Animals?
The histories worked in tandem with the PROBE command. Reading them was how the fugitives were supposed to figure out who to target for stealing the passcards. They sometimes mentioned other players so the that fugitives could pseudo-check 2 players at once.

They also made for a convenient spot to place normally redacted info. So they tended to be more informative for the power roles.

And for some roles they provided hints to game mechanics.

A few examples were Kalor's hinting that the level 2s would die if vaccinated.

Verelios's/Kalor's mentioning that Kalor was a new employee would tip off the board chat that he was a spy when his employee file didn't match up.

Fat4all

Banned
Best Shitposter- fat4all

his gifs and image macros were always on fleek. Even used them to respond to PMs.

tenor.gif

Sawneeks

Banned
Okay, gonna post this here instead of the Spec Thread.

I already said it earlier but I did really really like the ideas that were presented here. They were interesting and something different we hadn't fully seen here before and I definitely would love to see them again. If you do end up running something similar that's a little more cleaned up you can count me in, Dusk. However, I do agree with some of the criticisms; mainly around how all Level 1s die when the original dies and how Levels 1s know who Infected them when a cure exists.

I did have a lot of fun in the end. Someone asked it in the Spec Thread but Bastard/Crazy games are kinda like desert after a meal. It's probably not good for your health and should only be had in small doses but damn it if it's not amazing and something you eagerly look forward to and crave. I'd always take a normal game over a crazy one but it's nice to kick back every now and then and play something that devolves into Mechanics and Speculation as the main part of the game. It's kinda relaxing, honestly.

Thank you for running the game, Dusk! Had a great time with it and being able to play with everyone. \o/

One more question for you though. For the Super Mason's 'file inspection' command what were they looking for? It gave names and hire dates for everyone so would Kalor have return with no hire date?

Didn't appreciate your dictatorial turn on D2, though I was planning on pushing for Dictator to die anyway

Yeah, sorry about that Kark...

I realized about halfway through Day 2 you were most likely Town but with the insane amount of discussion around you I felt it was better to be safe than sorry and just close that chapter. It did end up generating a lot of noise and got the Masons worried so it did end up working out in the end lol.

wow doppel, i was just going to say similar things. wow.

wow

ANYWAY.

To expand on what I said already in the spec thread, I think there is a definite appetite for bastard / non-conventional games in gafia. So, thank you for putting your hand up to run a game and to try out some very unusual and creative design, Duskie :>

Game criticisms aside (since I think most have been covered by the players) (to me, it seems like the game could have benefited from better clarity of information so as not to confound your very player base too long and too unnecessarily) (mafia is a puzzle solving logic game as well as social game at its heart, so players SHOULD be able to solve their way out of the muck)....

....The thing that I think we can improve on for future seasons is to provide some conventional set ups along with the crazier ones for mid-seasons in the future. So people who still are hankering for some mafia games during the intervals between the main seasons can still be playing in standard mafia designs. This was picked up by Kawl, and I think it's a very good pick up :>

Other than that, I think both players and gamerunners should communicate better PRIOR to the games. If a game is advertised as 'crazy', players who prefer standard games shouldn't really feel obliged to sign up for those. (ideally, they can instead sign up to a standard mafia mid-season game). The onus is therefore on both sides. Players have some ownership not to buy into things that they may not enjoy. And gamerunners should provide as much clarity with regards to the games' design descriptions.

Learning curves!

But I think this is something we can improve on in our community :>

And, Duskie, just to reiterate, there's loads of people who had chimed in that they would play again given the chance, so definitely please lets us see another Duskie-ran mafia game in the future (and another and another) :>

wow

franconp

It was yours he stole. His steal command wasn't blockable.

I'm not so sure about this. Acorhs's role said this:

Defend - At night time, you will defend the president from all Night Actions. However, this ability renders you unable to use night actions while the president is still alive.

I think the game ended being quite unbalanced. Both the fugitive and the mole had to a 20% chance of being lucky and hit their target without any actual work. If our main weapon of defence don't work, what's the point of having it?. Having to input the injection command in the game also is a disadvantage as, having 2 infections per day, there was a big chance that one of us will get infected and we would be forced to share about our vaccines without a way to defend after that. As a game mechanic is really fun, because it makes discussion but it should have warned us that we would be totally exposed after that.

Knowing who infected and killing the level 1 along the level 2 it's also too powerfull against the infected faction. It makes their win really hard.

I also think some ideas where great. The Melon-Fat4all thing was really great. The Director's election was also a great idea. Beside the unbalancing the game was really fun.

Swamped

Banned
WAIT

SWAMPED WAS INFECTED???

ARE YOU SERIOUS I STILL CAN'T READ HER?

FUCK

Have we ever been on the same side in a mafia game? You're officially my nemesis lol. Just when you think you've got me >:D

Actually I only turned infected last night lol. I don't deserve scum MVP. I had big plans to win though!

Echoing others, this really was a very interesting game, so thank you for trying something new Dusk! I had plenty of fun. My only issue would be that some of the mechanics could have been more clearly explained. For example how the aroxometer works. But I really did enjoy the flavor. It made sense that there would be multiple groups working towards different objectives.

Regarding the corporate team finding the mole, I thought the hire dates being the clue was clever. Kalor's role could have easily come back as 'mole' but that's too straightforward and not realistic. Having to do a little digging to figure it out was a great feature.

I immensely enjoyed Melon's turnabout, it was hilarious to see the board's reaction to that.

Ourobolus

Banned
wow doppel, i was just going to say similar things. wow.

wow

ANYWAY.

To expand on what I said already in the spec thread, I think there is a definite appetite for bastard / non-conventional games in gafia. So, thank you for putting your hand up to run a game and to try out some very unusual and creative design, Duskie :>

Game criticisms aside (since I think most have been covered by the players) (to me, it seems like the game could have benefited from better clarity of information so as not to confound your very player base too long and too unnecessarily) (mafia is a puzzle solving logic game as well as social game at its heart, so players SHOULD be able to solve their way out of the muck)....

....The thing that I think we can improve on for future seasons is to provide some conventional set ups along with the crazier ones for mid-seasons in the future. So people who still are hankering for some mafia games during the intervals between the main seasons can still be playing in standard mafia designs. This was picked up by Kawl, and I think it's a very good pick up :>

Other than that, I think both players and gamerunners should communicate better PRIOR to the games. If a game is advertised as 'crazy', players who prefer standard games shouldn't really feel obliged to sign up for those. (ideally, they can instead sign up to a standard mafia mid-season game). The onus is therefore on both sides. Players have some ownership not to buy into things that they may not enjoy. And gamerunners should provide as much clarity with regards to the games' design descriptions.

Learning curves!

But I think this is something we can improve on in our community :>

And, Duskie, just to reiterate, there's loads of people who had chimed in that they would play again given the chance, so definitely please lets us see another Duskie-ran mafia game in the future (and another and another) :>

wow
What she said. Despite my bluntness in the spec thread, that's not to say you shouldn't try again. My first foray wasn't fantastic, yet now I am a highly respected universally liked decent member of the mods.

Karkador

Banned
I liked voting for a Director Day 1, but I feel like it was in the wrong game.

I think the game would have been interesting and tense enough with just the director + infection mechanic.

As a lowly Town, the different factions felt like I was playing against multiple mafia teams, and very much on the losing end of that brawl. Despite that, we won(?), I'm not even quite sure how.

Maybe it would have made more sense to make The Board the Town, with their discussion out in the open, and forget about ordinary lab techs.

Top Bottom