• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outernauts, a second project for Insomniac/EA; EA working on a new Populous

Kifimbo

Ok, I first discovered Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank, Resistance) registered Outernauts (USPTO). Did more research, found they also bought OUTERNAUTS-GAME.com and OUTERNAUTS-GAME.net (probably among others). Googled Outernauts, and found a webpage called EAP Marketing FY13 Home Page.

•The Secret World
•Overstrike
•Populous
•Outernauts
•Respawn

Source: http://eapmarketingfy13.wikispaces.com/EAP+Marketing+FY13+Home+Page

Basically, EAP = EA Partners
FY13 = Fiscal year 2013

The Secret World is an EAP project with Funcom.
Overstrike is an EAP project with Insomiac.
Respawn is an EAP project with Respawn Entertainment (still no name for the game)
Outernauts would be a second project between Insomiac and EAP.
And there is a new Populous in development, likely from an external studio since it's an EA Partners game.

This page was created by someone called pmarineau. There is a Phil Marineau working for EA. He's the director or marketing.

Source: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/phil-marineau/2/981/733

Link to the original news (in French): http://www.hardgamers.com/nouvelle.asp?no=45249

V_Ben

Banned
A second Insomniac/EA project? Whoa. Maybe that's what the All 4 One team is working on now. And a new Populous developed by an external developer? Huh. That's... interesting.

Edit: I fully expect James to come into this thread, and post something funny and vague. Maybe just "shifty eyes". Outernauts is a cool name though.

Edit 2: Well, if EA registered that page for FY2013, then perhaps Outernauts is a downloadable title for PSN/XBLA. Makes sense, EAP does digital games too.

Omikaru

Good sleuthing, OP.

Shame there's not more on Respawn's first game, since that would be dynamite. Interesting info nonetheless.

Kifimbo

By the way, EA's fiscal year starts on April 1 and ends March 31. So FY13 is between April 2012 and March 2013. Which means these 5 games could be released in the next 14 months (The Secret World was a given).

Empty

not sure if i should be trying to glean anything from a a name, but outernauts sounds like a spiritual successor to ratchet.

anyway nice work op. what a random site to make though, there's nothing on there except names though i guess it could be a work in progress. lol at having it open to everyone.

Omikaru

By the way, EA's fiscal year starts on April 1 and ends March 31. So FY13 is between April 2012 and March 2013. Which means these 5 games could be released in the next 14 months.

So Respawn's game possibly being lined up to compete with the next Call of Duty then?

V_Ben

Banned
not sure if i should be trying to glean anything from a a name, but outernauts sounds like a spiritual successor to ratchet.

anyway nice work op. what a random site to make though, there's nothing on there except names though i guess it could be a work in progress. lol at having it open to everyone.

More specifically, it sounds like a spiritual successor to All 4 One in my head. a 4 person co-op downloadable game would be cool.

This is one of the many reasons why I love GAF. Nice job, OP.

I'm interested to see what this is all about, I love basically everything Insomniac has done this generation (even Resistance 2!).

Kifimbo

One more thing: Insomniac registered Space Beasts and Galaxy Beasts back in October, so there is clearly a space theme going on. Outernauts might be the final name.

More specifically, it sounds like a spiritual successor to All 4 One in my head. a 4 person co-op downloadable game would be cool.

they already have co-op games with Overstrike. their 2nd game would be a kid friendly game like Ratchet and Clank. partnered with EA, they could expand to other media, comics, movies, etc.

V_Ben

Banned
One more thing: Insomniac registered Space Beasts and Galaxy Beasts back in October, so there is clearly a space theme going on. Outernauts might be the final name.

Oh my. I see Skylanders in my head, and I'm sure EA would like a piece of that too.

Kifimbo

Very nice find.

It's worth noting EA Partners now includes social/mobile/Facebook games.

Didn't know that. But EA bought many pieces for their social push, so why wouldn't they develop Populous internally if it is a social game ?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Populous is a Facebook game probably. Will be glad if it is iOS though.

EA is not 2K, that's for sure.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The page has now been hidden.

I wonder if these are all actually releasing in FY13.

That's a pretty aggressive schedule on top of what they already have, but then again, most of those won't sell copies or are incredibly low margin for EA (like Secret World).

soultron

Banned
Nice work, OP. Best thread in Gaming all week, son.

Populus article made me question reality for a moment. :c

Here's hoping it's a new IP.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
NeoGAF: home of real games journalism

Truth.

I'm intrigued. I love their Ratchet & Clank games, although I didn't try All 4 One since I don't really care about co-op. Just the title of the project makes me think it could be in the same vein somehow.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Props. One of the most impressive finds in recent memory by a gaffer.

Oh my god*, a new Populous

* = me

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
OH MY GOD A NEW POPULOUS

I will laugh my ass off if it's a shooter.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
new populus is awesome. really hope it takes some of the simulation aspects of from dust

Thanati

A new Populous would be great. However, I also said this about a new Syndicate, and look what they did to that.

So, Populous the FPS?

Top Bottom