• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can we tell what resolution a game is rendering?

My point is how many edges have You checked in earlier footage?
Each time I do counts I check multiple edges, on multiple images, before I write up the results. I only put one or two in each post because including all of them would make the thread unreadably repetitive.

And there is difference between 300kb jpeg and 2mb PNG.
Of course, but JPEG compression doesn't actually ruin edges very fast (it hits color information before luminosity). The mosquito noise it introduces will interfere with counting of subpixel elements since the noise is on the same scale, but solid geometry is more robust. For example, here's an uncompressed camera PNG, followed by a JPEG that is almost ten times smaller.

CNpXv.png

AIQ5B.jpg

If you zoom in the compression is definitely visible, but it doesn't much affect contrasted edges. Only when you get to about 15-20x JPEG compression does the disruption overwhelm counting.

But even barring that, my Ryse counts have never actually been of JPEGs. Earlier posts did include JPEG versions because the image host Imgur automatically converts large files. (I'm now using another image host and my newer posts contain PNGs.) But the counts I did always used the original PNGs. Here's one, in case you want to check my work.

vspF.png

Thats shimmer is not from upscaling, but from sub-pixel aliasing and will be visible in every game with only post-AA.
You're right that the upscaling isn't causing the shimmer...but it's making it worse. A game that requires upscale can fill fewer pixels to represent tiny elements, and this lower accuracy is magnified by upscaling. For example, here's Battlefield 4 on PS4 and One. (Ryse runs at the res of the PS4 version, so won't look as bad as the One version; this is just to show that lower resolution results in more artifacts.)

iQXnww9oCgl6.gif

ibcyLL9DEObrRq.gif

The strong bokeh in Ryse--though pretty--actually increases the shimmer as well, since it turns distant small highlights into larger iris shapes.

Btw in Palace gameplay there is exactly the same scene as in Story trailer. I think thats good place for comparison.
Comparison of what? The story trailer cutscenes I'm uncertain about aren't in any of the recent gameplay videos, including the palace one. Nevertheless, despite having no second objective measure available, there are strong indicators of widely variable quality across the two videos. For example, do these two shots really strike you as having precisely the same rendering techniques and resolution as each other?

d7Vr0.png

LgvbW.png

Keep in mind that compression isn't doing anything here. The (confirmed 900p) lower shot, which appears far less sharp and detailed to me, comes from a video with more than triple the bitrate of the upper shot!

But you don't even have to compare videos to see differences. The story trailer alone contains scenes with very different quality. For example, here's two crops of Vitallion's armor from separate points in the story trailer. Note that I didn't zoom or affect either one of these; these are native-size crops.

UlgZn.png

To my eye, this comparison strongly suggests multiple rendering resolutions.

For Ryse, could it just mean that we're finally seeing the game on actual hardware and that's why we have the lower IQ?
That's the question I can't answer, because I can see evidence--not just pixel counts--either way (as summed in my posts). There are only two possible conclusions:

1. Though the gameplay is 900p, some official media released for Ryse was rendered at 1080p...either realtime but on PC rather than One, or as prerendered videos incorporated into the One game. This higher resolution may be accompanied by other added effects.
2. All official media we've seen has been 900p and I am bad at pixel counting.

Number 2 has plausibility going for it, as human error is ubiquitous and Liabe Brave error abundant. But I believe there's more than just pixel counting to show differences in released media; just check the last post I did, especially the final side-by-side image. So that seems to support number 1...

...but that conclusion is hurt by not being consistent with Crytek's usual technical mastery. (This is why KKRT00 absolutely refuses to budge an inch denying it.) Also, there's the issue where I counted 1080p on both a sharp shot and a relatively blurry one of the same scene. This points us back toward error by me.

I don't think there's enough doubt to prove me wrong, but then I'm not an impartial observer. Look over the arguments and make your own decision, or (the best bet, I think) just wait. Once we get good direct-feed media from the retail version of the game other more experienced folks will get us the answer.

Oh man, gaf literally counting pixels is like an Onion article...hardcore community indeed
If you've been keeping up with the recent COD:Ghosts resolution kerfuffle, you'll find that pixel counting discovered mistakes (possibly even lies) from the reviewing press. Wanting independent confirmation of the truth isn't "hardcore" so much as it is "rational".

Prelude.

Sorry for the bump, but I'm having a bit of difficulty with some Vita games.

Gravity Rush for example.

2014-03-29-162907r5sua.jpg

According to that list on B3D it should be 720x~400 but I'm not getting anything near 400.

stryke

Sorry for the bump, but I'm having a bit of difficulty with some Vita games.

Gravity Rush for example.

2014-03-29-162907r5sua.jpg

According to that list on B3D it should be 720x~400 but I'm not getting anything near 400.

I'm no expert at this either but yeah, using the image you've got there I'm getting a much lower resolution.

Top Bottom