• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Rinoa

Wheels :(

Since I grew up in the annex, a lot of the actors from Degrassi lived near me and I'd see them at my TTC stations all the time. Was weird man.

http://www.thegridto.com/city/sports/torontos-20-greatest-sports-bars/3/#pager

Been to a bunch of these, the Main Event is AWFUL though, no clue how it got on that list other than that its where all the Man U fans hang out

But like someone in the comment section said, they will put on random HBO boxing instead of Leafs or playoff hockey

Me and some buddies had to ask 3 times last year to watch a playoff game (Can't even remember what teams were playing)

As I enjoy a cup of Earl Grey tea... here is the Toronto photo of the day:

6734792557_b3bd43aa6f_b.jpg

Stet

Banned
As I enjoy a cup of Earl Grey tea... here is the Toronto photo of the day:

6734792557_b3bd43aa6f_b.jpg

Is that the Gardens? I remember walking past when they were still gutting the old interior and looking down into the massive pit they had dug and just being astounded at how deep it went.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is that the Gardens? I remember walking past when they were still gutting the old interior and looking down into the massive pit they had dug and just being astounded at how deep it went.
Looks too small. Probably Lakeshore Lions.

Yes, it is Maple Leaf Gardens!
The bottom floor is a newly opened Loblaws but this top floor is going to be a hockey arena for Ryerson University when it is complete!

Quick

Banned
Yes, it is Maple Leaf Gardens!
The bottom floor is a newly opened Loblaws but this top floor is going to be a hockey arena for Ryerson University when it is complete!

So glad to see MLG remain a sports arena. I cringed at the news that Loblaws bought it, thinking it would be turned 100% into a grocery store.

The grocery/arena hybrid is a great idea and is making full use of the space.

So glad to see MLG remain a sports arena. I cringed at the news that Loblaws bought it, thinking it would be turned 100% into a grocery store.

The grocery/arena hybrid is a great idea and is making full use of the space.

To me the most important thing was to maintain the integrity of the outside of the building no matter what use they found for the interior. I was very happy to see the outside faithfully restored.

It would have been horrific if they butchered the building like they did in Montreal to the Forum:

Historic+Landmarks+Montreal+During+NHL+Star+-cqvuH4fO43l.jpg

That is truly a slap in the face to anybody that cares about history in Montreal.

Compare that to how classy Maple Leaf Gardens looks after the renovation and restoration:

6433266079_653e543418_b.jpg

We really lucked out here.

Stet

Banned
To me the most important thing was to maintain the integrity of the outside of the building no matter what use they found for the interior. I was very happy to see the outside faithfully restored.

It would have been horrific if they butchered the building like they did in Montreal to the Forum:

Historic+Landmarks+Montreal+During+NHL+Star+-cqvuH4fO43l.jpg

That is truly a slap in the face to anybody that cares about history in Montreal.

Compare that to how classy Maple Leaf Gardens looks after the renovation and restoration:

6433266079_653e543418_b.jpg

We really lucked out here.

Yep. Even Loblaws is doing it in a way that honours the history of it, like having the centre-ice mark on the floor and images of classic hockey on the walls.

Quick

Banned

http://www.taylornoakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Historic+Landmarks+Montreal+During+NHL+Star+-cqvuH4fO43l.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6433266079_653e543418_b.jpg[IMG]

We really lucked out here.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's terrible what they did to the Forum, and that was what I was afraid was going to happen to Maple Leaf Gardens.

At least they marked centre ice and kept some seats from the Forum inside. I'll give them that.

Someone correct me on this, but the Stanley Cup banners in the ACC aren't the original ones hung up in MLG. If that's the case, where are the original banners?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Agreed. It's terrible what they did to the Forum, and that was what I was afraid was going to happen to Maple Leaf Gardens.

At least they marked centre ice and kept some seats from the Forum inside. I'll give them that.

Someone correct me on this, but the Stanley Cup banners in the ACC aren't the original ones hung up in MLG. If that's the case, where are the original banners?
Harold Ballard sold them all.

Yeah I hear the inside has some Canadiens themed stuff but it doesn't even come close to excusing the hack job on the outside. Most of the time people will view the building from the outside and when I look at Maple Leaf Gardens, it will remind me of being a kid watching games there. When I look at the Forum, it just looks like some plastic piece of shit movie theatre that bares almost no resemblance to where the Habs won so many Stanley Cups. What an insult.

Since I am on the topic of heritage protection and sports arenas. The most offensive disregard for architecture and history was when one the most beautiful train stations in the world (Penn Station) was completely demolished in New York City to make room for Madison Square Garden:

424px-NYP_LOC5.jpg

Fucking ouch.

Disagree with Ford? Get fired.

TTC board members aligned with Mayor Rob Ford are expected call for the removal of the TTC's chief general manager Tuesday.

On Friday the TTC announced a "special meeting" for Feb. 21 at 2 p.m. that was said to involve "a personnel matter."

Ford adversary and former TTC Chair Joe Mihevc said he has been told that a majority of commissioners are looking to remove Gary Webster from his position.

“Here we have a transit manager that is known internationally as one of the best public transit managers that exists out there being fired, because he doesn’t fall into line under the mayor’s ideological plan to build subways,” Mihevic said.

Coun. Frank Di Giorgio has a seat on the current commission and is one of the members who signed the petition asking for the meeting.

"If Gary Webster isn't going to work with us, then the option will be taken," Di Giorgio told CBC News.

He added that a number of items on the agenda deal with "a disharmony that has crept in the TTC and commissioners will use whatever authority we have to remove it."

Di Giorgio, along with city councillors Norm Kelly, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Cesar Palacio and Vince Crisanti signed the petition.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/02/17/toronto-ttc-special-meeting.html

My idiot councillor part of the problem yet again.

If I was in Ford's shoes I'd have canned them long ago

If he was smarter he would have seen this stuff brewing and taken pre-emptive action to maintain the narrative

Instead he wanted to lose weight and watch the Superbowl

The real shitstorm will be if he tries to can Stintz, firing a woman in politics in an important position will look REALLY bad for him

So let me guess, he'll install one of his toadies as Chair and then he'll say "Hey everyone, we're building subways again! Fuck city council!"

So, meet the new TTC board, hand-picked by Ford:

JNAGs.png

sammich

http://www.thegridto.com/city/sports/torontos-20-greatest-sports-bars/3/#pager

Been to a bunch of these, the Main Event is AWFUL though, no clue how it got on that list other than that its where all the Man U fans hang out

But like someone in the comment section said, they will put on random HBO boxing instead of Leafs or playoff hockey

Me and some buddies had to ask 3 times last year to watch a playoff game (Can't even remember what teams were playing)

Shoeless at King and Dufferin should be out of business. Their service is atrocious, their food is worse than bad, and the layout of the room isn't all that conducive to sports appreciation. It's there because it's easy to get to and right next door to Lamport Stadium, where many TSSC teams play all through winter and most of spring.

I had a weird nightmare about a tornado for some reason which woke me up... so much for sleeping in on Saturday :(

anyways, here is the Toronto photo of the day:

6866058929_565ffcb9cb_b.jpg

Ah. Jays home openers.

1yyNL.jpg

HAHA!

The other funny thing about Jays Home Openers is the huge attendance drop from 45,000 to 16,000 that they experience 2 days later.

I love the Jays though. I hope they have a great year. Did they already change the playoff format for next season to allow more teams to get in?

The Jays should have good attendance for the first home series since they are playing the BoSox

I'm glad I bought my tix during the presale last week

Debating whether I should bring my dSLR to the opener, I'm worried it might get hit by random people in such a big crowd......but I would be able to zoom in on all the drunken morons fighting!

--------------------

Also, anyone recommend any hotels near Queen and Bathurst or not too far away? Might be getting a hotel room for my bday next weekend. What hotels are around 100 a night or lower? Maybe 150?

Stet

Banned
I wonder if Honda gets any tickets for sponsoring the event.

Also, anyone recommend any hotels near Queen and Bathurst or not too far away? Might be getting a hotel room for my bday next weekend. What hotels are around 100 a night or lower? Maybe 150?

Remember to check the bed bug registry. Toronto Hotels at that rate probably aren't the most careful.

Quick

Banned
The Jays home opener has already sold out. Fortunately, we got tickets. Let's go Jays!

Got tickets, as well. My friend has it, but I believe it'll be by first base level 100, where we sat last year. It was awesome being so close to the field.

Anony

planning on getting my G1 written test
are these the locations to do it in?
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/loc/dec.aspx
there is a location at 777 bay(and college) that google shows, but it's not listed on the website
also, someone with a drivers license must accompany me? i was thinking to just ttc myself there and do it, today, but it looks like it's not even opened on the weekends

shoulda gotten it when i was in highshool, now i have to take a day off or half day off work to get it
FML

Quadratic

777 Bay street is a Service Ontario kiosk. They do license renewals only I believe. About the person with a driver's license having to accompanying you, I think it's for the G2 test when there's a scenario where you drive yourself to the testing centre (and your temp license is expired) and then fail the test.

777 Bay street is a Service Ontario kiosk. They do license renewals only I believe. About the person with a driver's license having to accompanying you, I think it's for the G2 test when there's a scenario where you drive yourself to the testing centre (and your temp license is expired) and then fail the test.

It's more than a kiosk, it's an entire office. They do license renewals, health card, birth certificate, marriage certificate...bla bla bla.

But Quad is right, it's not a drive test centre. There are four drive test centres in the city proper, which are listed on the website...

Toronto Downsview*
Downsview Park
37 Carl Hall Road
Toronto, ON M3K 2E2
Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Toronto Etobicoke*
Centenial Park Plaza
5555 Eglinton Ave. W.
Etobicoke, ON M9C 5M1
Mon-Sat 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Toronto Metro East*
Victoria Terrace Plaza
1448 Lawrence Ave E., Unit 15
North York, ON M4A 2S8
Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Toronto Port Union*
The Village of Abbey Lane Shopping Centre
91 Rylander Blvd., Unit #109A
Scarborough, ON M1B 5M5
Mon-Sat 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

I had a great night at the Pinball Cafe last night with my wife. Unfortunately, we didn't win the draw to win a pinball machine! However, we had some good drinks and great pinball. I love the AC/DC machine!
I still can't believe how cheap it is to play.

Toronto photo of the day:

6891475931_54ba9d93d4_b.jpg

soultron

Banned
So, TO GAF, you still want to do a meet up the weekend of the 2nd of March? I'd like to start nailing down what bars/restaurants you guys and gals would like to go to so I can make a thread. That way I can stop asking in here. Haha.

Spl1nter

So, TO GAF, you still want to do a meet up the weekend of the 2nd of March? I'd like to start nailing down what bars/restaurants you guys and gals would like to go to so I can make a thread. That way I can stop asking in here. Haha.

Would rather do the next weekend, march 9-10

soultron

Banned
ill show up. would bier markt be conducive to that sort of thing? ive heard good things.

I'd be down for that. Someone is bound to suggest Snakes and Lattes, but I think segregating ourselves into smaller tables and playing games in groups won't really fit this type of gathering.

I can't do the first half of March. Going to the States to visit the wife's fam.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be down for that. Someone is bound to suggest Snakes and Lattes, but I think segregating ourselves into smaller tables and playing games in groups won't really fit this type of gathering.

Is there anything else to do at bier besides drink though? Don't get me wrong, I like the place but what are we going to do there?

You gotta come out EM. Troll you in real life fattie!

Top Bottom