• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files three patents for Glove Controller for use with PlayStation VR

Metal B

Also made me think of this
NES-Power-Glove.jpg
I actually think, an input device on the side would be very useful. It would be less awkward and distracting for options or open menus in comparison to use gestures, have constantly icons around the player or the need for another device in the hand, while wearing gloves.

yuraya

First they put a dirty ass headset near your eyes. Then they force you to wear dirty gloves.

The VR future is gonna be full of germs, bacteria and rashes on your skin.

shandy706

First they put a dirty ass headset near your eyes. Then they force you to wear dirty gloves.

It's ok to clean the headset. It's also ok if you wash your hands before using the gloves.

Heck...put on some medical/safety gloves....then put on the PSGloves. Haha

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Why is all your stuff so dirty, though? That might be a you problem rather than a VR problem.

Cynn

Looks "cool and revolutionary", but like always VR will be remembered for being just a gimmick. Fool me once.

#TeamPad&Buttons
How's #TeamOneButtonJoystick doing these days? I know #TeamRotaryDialPongConsole were really giving them the business last I heard.

joecanada

Lol that figure 9c I can't help but see the sword as a placeholder for the inevitable other "swords" that will be gripped lol

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Minority Report is finally here.

The next step is force feedback with some kinds of motors or pistons that hold your fingers back to the dimensions of whatever objects your hands touch.

Edit:

Obviously not strong enough that a glitch could snap your fingers back...

brawly

They'll actually keep your hands clean when you use them to eat doritos.

Minority Report is finally here.

The next step is force feedback with some kinds of motors or pistons that hold your fingers back to the dimensions of whatever objects your hands touch.

Edit:

Obviously not strong enough that a glitch could snap your fingers back...

The day 4chan haxxors break your fingers.

Occam

That's awesome, I was hoping for something like this.
Next step: Actual force feedback so you can touch virtual objects.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They should just buy whatever Leap motion is making now, before someone else does. This seems clumsy and convoluted in comparison.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Can't read the whole patent atm. Does it mention solutions for different hands sizes?

"This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its sizing, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to.

Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

;)

Seriously though, I imagine they'd have to ship small/medium/large...

Anyway, it's good they're investigating fine-grained finger capture, haptics etc. Final commercial forms may differ and be more refinsed but I think a new input method that can do that has to be on the cards for the second (PS5) iteration of PSVR.

ZarKryn7

This thread is like that nx patent thread all over it again. Smh.

Don't expect it to come into fruition. And you may see aspects of this come down the line in Sony's actual finalized VR accessory.

Interesting patent though... Especially that flower gesture. Lol.

Deadstar

I said this was the future months ago, glad to see Sony is making it. I hope this doesn't stifle competition though. Glove controllers are obviously the way of the future when it comes to VR so I hope that Sony isn't the only ones allowed to make them. It will probably be five years or more until there are glove controllers that give you the illusion of touch in a virtual environment.

Top Bottom