• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Tales games revealed in Jump

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The concept art for the new Tales game looks very un-Tales-like.

I wonder if this is a Tales Reboot of sorts.

Is this normally how Tales concept art looks?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Willing to bet Graces PS3 will see a western release just because the world hates me :(.

I know this isn't really the topic but does anyone know if there is a translation project going on for it?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Easy_D said:
Willing to bet Graces PS3 will see a western release just because the world hates me :(.

I know this isn't really the topic but does anyone know if there is a translation project going on for it?

For the Wii version, yes there is. I think was released already (I didn't follow it, sorry).

Bebpo said:
I'd rather they spend the time adding new content to it. If it's similar to the Symphonia PS2 port it'll be pretty disappointing. But if it's closer to the Vesperia PS3 port it'll be sooo worth a double dip.
The Graces scan mentions a new story. So I guess it has at least some new content.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope we don't see any of those disc-snapping moments again.

Anyone else find it incredibly ironic that Namco no longer publishes Tales games in the West, but they picked up Demon's Souls from Sony and published it in Europe?

Gravijah

makingmusic476 said:
Anyone else find it incredibly ironic that Namco no longer publishes Tales games in the West, but they picked up Demon's Souls from Sony and published it in Europe?

This is Namco, I'm not surprised by anything they do.

Toki767

The cynic in me thinks Tales games are pretty much no longer going to be localized. The optimist in me is glad that PS3 games are region free. :lol

duckroll

Okay so from the clean scans we have some details which can probably be added to the OP for more clarity:

New PS3 Tales Of title:
- No title yet
- Single image illustration showing a city
- No release date yet

Tales of Graces F:
- PS3 port of the Wii title
- New costume for Sophie
- New Hi-Ougis and post-ending story events added
- Release window is Winter 2010

Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 3:
- Third game in the PSP series
- Heroine with nonsensical name is voiced by Aya Hirano
- Aspel from ToG will be in the game as well
- Over 80 characters will be in the game
- Release window is 2011

jiggle

miladesn said:
No, the one on the right looks like a girl, it's quite clear to me...

yeah in the cleaner scan, that part is clear
other guy still looks like flynn though
same hair, and even though the armor is different, it has a similar color scheme and motifs...

vall03

damn, seriously, I want to be excited, I know that somewhere deep inside me is excited for these 3 games, but right now I'm pissed, not only did they deny us DS games, all PSP games except for one, they trolled us with Vesperia PS3, never localized Graces and now they're even bringing out more Tales games that again, will never be localized. Great! at this point, I really couldn't care less, even if the PS3 is region free, theres no point in playing a game I can barely even understand. Then again, this is Namco Bandai so I guess it wouldn't matter. Right now Im much more excited with Radiant Historia.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Bebpo said:
I think they won't license Tales games out to other companies because they're afraid that at some point in the future Tales will become a huge franchise in the West and by having licensed out one of the games, they've lost the ability to resell it at a later time and capitalize on the newfound huge million dollar market for western Tales.

:\

Yeah I don't expect this new TS game to come over. Hence lack of X360 version.

Future tales games - becoming a huge franchise in the west. How is that possible when they don't even release the tale games here.:lol

Metallix87

Lafiel said:
Future tales games - becoming a huge franchise in the west. How is that possible when they don't even release the tale games here.:lol
Exactly. By not releasing their games here (especially the DS ones, which I think is a sorely missed opportunity on their part), they've basically guaranteed that the series will not become a huge mainstream success here.

Neil

Amazing news. Now I just need to lul myself into a false sense of hope that these will ever see the light of day overseas!

squall211

Neil said:
Amazing news. Now I just need to lul myself into a false sense of hope that these will ever see the light of day overseas!

There's probably a decent chance the new PS3 title will make it over. I'd be incredibly shocked if the other ones did though.

i would love to play graces on ps3 even if the only visual update is rendering the game in a higher resolution.

but sadly this is a dream i'll have to snuff out for it will never happen :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Last summer, Nintendo was very excited to have secured three major third party exclusives on the Wii. Monster Hunter 3 (worked with Capcom to make the CC Pro, marketed it heavily in the west), Samurai Warriors 3 (publishing it in the west on behalf of Koei), and Tales of Graces.

I genuinely believe that the route for getting Graces a western release would have been through Nintendo or with Nintendo's help.

But when you think about it, that makes sense. Say Graces comes over and does 200k on the Wii. Or 250k. Or 300k. Well, Vesperia PS3 JPN did 350k. I wouldn't be able to guess at the cost differential between a port and a localization, but there's the math, right?

WickedLaharl said:
i would love to play graces on ps3 even if the only visual update is rendering the game in a higher resolution.

but sadly this is a dream i'll have to snuff out for it will never happen :(

Well, you could import the Wii version and play the translation patch when it releases in Dolphin at 720p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Stumpokapow said:
Last summer, Nintendo was very excited to have secured three major third party exclusives on the Wii. Monster Hunter 3 (worked with Capcom to make the CC Pro, marketed it heavily in the west), Samurai Warriors 3 (publishing it in the west on behalf of Koei), and Tales of Graces.

I genuinely believe that the route for getting Graces a western release would have been through Nintendo or with Nintendo's help.

But when you think about it, that makes sense. Say Graces comes over and does 200k on the Wii. Or 250k. Or 300k. Well, Vesperia PS3 JPN did 350k. I wouldn't be able to guess at the cost differential between a port and a localization, but there's the math, right?

With Nintendos Marketing and a release in us + pal region it could have probably sold even more. Lets just wait and see how much ToG will sell on Wii - ToV Ps3 did very well.

Paracelsus

Symphonia on Gamecube sold half a million during a period in which even a SO game sold over 500k and a Xeno game could have sold (XSI did?) that much in the States. I think automatically associating good marketing with stellar sales it's a huge mistake, talking about Jrpgs and the US in the current generation.

Paracelsus said:
Symphonia on Gamecube sold half a million during a period in which even a SO game sold over 500k and a Xeno game could have sold (XSI did?) that much in the States. I think automatically associating good marketing with stellar sales it's a huge mistake, talking about Jrpgs and the US in the current generation.

Yeah cause Tales of the Abyss and Legendia were smashing successes during that era weren't they?

The whole franchise has been woefully mismanaged. Tales of Symphonia is the only major US/EU success they've had and they have utterly failed to follow it up.

They abandoned the fanbase who owned GCNs and followed it up with a disappointing game (Legendia) and released Abyss at the same time as FF12 in the US (and not at all in Europe!)

Phantasia GBA was released too late (2006, the DS had been out for 1.5 years by then)

Vesperia was released on the wrong platform initially (and a year late in Europe!) and Ratatosk was a cheap, low quality spinoff (that still managed to outsell Vesperia in the US!)

Inside Japan, the franchise has been milked to death with too many spinoffs (Tempest killed the chances of Innocence and Hearts) and Graces was released at the absolute wrong time (same week as FF13 and NSMB. Didn't stand a chance!) Vesperia PS3 is the biggest success of the lot but I doubt that Namco really understood why it was a success (good timing and platform choice)

They could've really made something of Graces outside Japan. The Wii is RPG starved and the market is wide open for a major RPG (especially one that appeals to Symphonia fans)

These announcements pretty much confirm that Namco is gonna stick with Sony's platforms. I also doubt that they're gonna release any more games outside of Japan (given how many they've skipped and the lack of 360 versions show that they don't care). Tragic, introverted and utterly stupid but that's Namco for ya! :lol

Rpgmonkey

Well I guess it's a good thing I never imported Tales of Graces yet...

Ugh, HD Tales isn't multiplat. I'm even more fearful of it's chances of being localized now, think Namco may have finally pulled the plug and their sole focus is Japan now. :/

If this is the Symphonia/Vesperia leads' next project, guess they really couldn't get a game ready for this year due to splitting the team, not even a name yet, lol. On the bright side, this won't be another Abyss as it doesn't seem like they're rushing this to meet the anniversary deadline. :D

IntelliHeath said:
Just curious, I noticed someone mention tales festival or event.. When is it?

Bandai Namco usually have a press conference where they talk about announced Tales games.

I think it's usually on the day Jump releases, so it'd be...Monday I think?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, smart decisions for the win!

numbers don't lie

Lyonaz

Fuck you Namco-Bandai!

I'm still waiting for my PS3 ToV and Wii ToG!

Bah guess I'll just buy the 360 version and abandon all hope for any future European Tales game. Booooooo!

Ikkarus

Why do I put my self through the pain of reading all this when I know none of these will leave Japan.

I must enjoy depressing my self.

:(

InfiniteNine said:
Sweet jesus! If there is no localization I'm importing and using a guide.

This option is always available and viable given the western burn over the years.

I wonder what of consumer fatigue with the yearly iterations of the Tales model they now are practicing? I'm sure there was a correlation with more sales when the releases were a few year apart with mainline titles no?

klee123

Isn't Graces Team Destiny's work?

If the next one is by Team Symphonia, there should be a good chance of it getting released outside of Japan.

Doesn't matter to me either way since I'll import them. :D

Top Bottom