• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

The pilot and which other one? lol
(When the video game is better than the TV show, that's really saying something)

I wonder if this is the first time that that's actually happened?

Also I am shocked to see firehawk actively avoiding classic science fiction anime like LOGH and Crest of the Stars. Considering how little sci-fi anime(without cute girls) gets made I would have thought that you would cling to any port in a storm!

Branduil

Well,
she lusts for her brother but her brother just spends his days crying about his waifu, and then she meets a nice guy online, but then that turns out to be her brother.

I always wonder, are hack writers born that way or are they shaped by their environment?

iwc4nhZ00cZkG.gif

Am I just mecha-ignorant, or is it really silly that this thing beat Unit 01?

cajunator

Banned
See, I always thought that was just her hair. I mean... she doesn't have a tail, does she?

I don't think she did. I would have to watch again, but that show failed me so I don't think I really want to. Pictures of her seem to indicate no. I definitely didnt remember one. You would think they would have at least given her a tail.

Thoraxes

Hayate no Gotoku!! - 00

In the words of Wakamoto-sama:

sabi sabisu~
sabi sabisu~
sabi sabisu~

"Are you ready to die from moe overload?"

Glorious.

VaOVw.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well,
she lusts for her brother but her brother just spends his days crying about his waifu, and then she meets a nice guy online, but then that turns out to be her brother.
Jesus fucking Christ. I think I can start hating SAO again.

I wonder if this is the first time that that's actually happened?
It's gotta be. Unless you want to be cute and say that Arkham City has a better story than The Dark Knight Rises!

Also I am shocked to see firehawk actively avoiding classic science fiction anime like LOGH and Crest of the Stars. Considering how little sci-fi anime(without cute girls) gets made I would have thought that you would cling to any port in a storm!
I'm just going by what I see on wikipedia:
gsL74.jpg

nX3JR.jpg

Yes, I'm judging a book by its cover.
And after Tytania, I don't know if I can sit through something that is remotely similar to it. If people talk about politics and they aren't having sex while they're doing it (and it's not The West Wing), then I'm going to be wary.

And hey, I'm the one who is close to finishing up Time Jam here!

---

Space Brothers 19

WF2oBl.png

Serious question - does this count as a fanservice shot? Especially since it wasn't necessary?

Anyway, I think the interesting part of the episode is the whole
Sharon
flashback. I was starting to wonder if she was just an
old maid or in a Boston marriage, but it turns out she has/had a husband. I actually wonder if there's a story there.
Either that, I just missed the reference way back when and the revelation was considered common knowledge for the viewer. lol

Jex

iwc4nhZ00cZkG.gif

Am I just mecha-ignorant, or is it really silly that this thing beat Unit 01?

There are certainly less Macross fans then, say, Evangelion fans, but in terms of the 'mecha community' I think it's fairy to say that Macross has one of the more dedicated fandoms. I'm not surprised to see them turn out to vote for their favourites in large numbers.

At least Kirito had the good sense
to cry about the right waifu. The Perfectu Waifu.

Mawaru-Penguindrum 14:

Wait, what?

WUT

WHAT THE FUCK?!

So Yuri is actually
Kayo Police?
What the shit is this fuck?

In the manga, they even have a kid together.

If this is considered shounen, I think that's indicative of a problem with what is considered to constitute shounen and not a measure of the tameness of Apocalypse Zero's content.

No arguments there. Shounen Champion and Champion Red are really sick magazines and Apocalypse Zero isn't even the most fucked up thing in them. Just take in the fact this is aimed at pre-teen to teenage boys.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think she did. I would have to watch again, but that show failed me so I don't think I really want to. Pictures of her seem to indicate no. I definitely didnt remember one. You would think they would have at least given her a tail.
See, no tail = not a catgirl...

Protagonist of Crest of the Stars.
I was actually thinking it was a LOGH character. lol

In the manga, they even have a kid together.
Adachi would be proud!

I always wonder, are hack writers born that way or are they shaped by their environment?
Hey, man, Kawahara is just answering the hard questions. "If Gary Stu reaches into the same bag of dripping wet vaginas x amount of times, how likely is he to grab the same one twice?"

I wouldn't expect a philistine such as yourself to understand such refined philosophical storytelling.

Jex

gsL74.jpg

nX3JR.jpg

And after Tytania, I don't know if I can sit through something that is remotely similar to it. If people talk about politics and they aren't having sex while they're doing it (and it's not The West Wing), then I'm going to be wary.

You're right, Crest of the Stars is just shameless trash anyway. The Highschool of the Dead of space opera. Just look at this artwork:

crestofstars.jpg

There are certainly less Macross fans then, say, Evangelion fans, but in terms of the 'mecha community' I think it's fairy to say that Macross has one of the more dedicated fandoms. I'm not surprised to see them turn out to vote for their favourites in large numbers.
Ah, that does makes more sense. Thanks.

Jex

No arguments there. Shounen Champion and Champion Red are really sick magazines and Apocalypse Zero isn't even the most fucked up thing in them. Just take in the fact this is aimed at pre-teen to teenage boys.

I am fairly certain that this is all Go Nagai's fault.

Branduil

You're right, Crest of the Stars is just shameless trash anyway. The Highschool of the Dead of space opera. Just look at this artwork:

[IM]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k574/JexThread/crestofstars.jpg[/IMG]

I'll be honest, Crest of the Stars wouldn't be on my backlog if multiple people here didn't praise it. The character designs are terrible.

wonzo

Banned
Ro-Kyu-Bu! 12 DEATH

The scene at the very end where Maho makes a wanking motion with her hand while eating an ice cream stick with Subaru really says it all about everything wrong with this show. The constant lolicon pandering completely undermines the at times surprisingly well-done basketball animation, the character development and the feminist undertones to the point of virtual nonexistence. The incredibly awful art style certainly doesn't help with how painfully bad this show can be. There were times where I felt physically ill just watching this and I haven't felt this shitty since re-watching Eiken with the dub or the 8th episode of Kannazuki no Miko which was so terrible I still haven't seen the last 4 episodes. IT'S JUST SO PAINFULLY BAD

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to:

• remove all of the pandering, and by that I mean every pantyshot, every shower scene, every bathing scene, every clothes changing scene, every scene where the little girls talk about getting together with Subaru, every buttshot. EVERY SINGLE ONE
  • replace the general artstyle with something that didn't look like it was a few steps removed from Kanon 2002
  • replace the voice actor for Hina
  • and focus purely on the basketball and developing the characters

... then maybe this hypothetical show would actually be somewhat decent and enjoyable but unfortunately for me what I watched wasn't this hypothetical show but Ro-Kyu-Bu!, a show that manages to be better than Eiken... but not much better.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
gsL74.jpg

nX3JR.jpg

And hey, I'm the one who is close to finishing up Time Jam here!
If you ever make another pact Crest of the Stars will be the show you watch.

Thoraxes

Ro-Kyu-Bu! 12 DEATH

• and focus purely on the basketball and developing the characters

... then maybe this hypothetical show would actually be somewhat decent and enjoyable but unfortunately for me what I watched wasn't this hypothetical show but Ro-Kyu-Bu!, a show that manages to be better than Eiken... but not much better.

But they're too young to develop on this show.

Nafe

Nah, not someone I know personally. However a friend of Sawa is a friend of mine.

I see. The "You joined" comment made it come across that way. So you met them in another thread and directed them to the Anime OT then?

Hyouka 08

• I'd let her glare at me with those cold eyes any day. Irisu <3
    Uh98i.jpg

I very much agree with this sentiment. All day any day.

PonyGAF is also a pretty nice crowd, although not nearly as active as in here.

I've only really read through the odd time. I might visit a bit more often.

My personal favorite is the long version of "Moon Cosmic Power Make Up". The fanfare transition really lifts the song.

It's been kind of interesting seeing everyone's different choices in regards to this.

Haha, well, I certainly understand the desire for anonymity, but I don't entirey understand why some feel it necessary to conceal even general non-identifying info like country. To me, that's still in the area where you can divulge without losing further control of your personal information.

I may be going a bit overboard true. Maybe I'll say more later. Earlier I did reveal one country I'm not from though.

Unless you're the only person in North Korea with an internet connection, of course.

That 120 some pound North Korean fellow lifting 300 some pounds in weightlifting at the Olympics was pretty impressive at least.

I must admit it feels kinda awkward for somebody to come in paying so much attention to my interests and sharing many of them. If you were up to some sinister scheme, then I'd be powerless to stop you.

Me? Up to something?...
I'm just happy to find people that share my interests. No one often knows what I'm even talking about most of the time. For gaming I'm a big fan of bullet hell style shooters and I was talking to someone I see pretty often and they didn't even know what they were never mind talking about specific titles :(

For anime I get the "Oh, you like anime..." routine quite often if it's brought up. If they do like anime they maybe only know fairly mainstream titles like Dragonball or Bleach

....like this. That avatar was too adorable.

Some people switch avatars but maybe have one or defaults they go back to. Well, Minako will be that way for me. She'll definitely return.

Who, Nafe? Never.

Exactly. Hitokage is such a talented person, I know I can always rely on someone like him...

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Maybe I would have found all of this highly amusing instead of disgusting when I was twelve. I've well and truly forgotten what it was like to be young, I think.

H. H. H. OH. schools everybody though!

Imagine how good she'd be if only someone had given her the memo that you hit the ball with your racket and not your face.

cajunator

Banned
I see. The "You joined" comment made it come across that way. So you met them in another thread and directed them to the Anime OT then?

Some people switch avatars but maybe have one or defaults they go back to. Well, Minako will be that way for me. She'll definitely return.

Yup. Ohlawl was posting in the Wiiu thread. But posting in gaming is a scary, dangerous thing so I tried to nudge to calmer water and relative safety of animeGAF.

I am glad you will bring back Minako eventually. Can never have too much Minako.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'll be honest, when I borrowed the DVD set of Crest of the Stars, It took me a while to sit down and watch it because of the cover art. Once I put the first disk in, I was hooked, and lead to the inspiration of my username 2-years later...
And
While politics are a major part of the series, there's more to it than that!

I am fairly certain that this is all Go Nagai's fault.

Yeah, probably.

Maybe I would have found all of this highly amusing instead of disgusting when I was twelve. I've well and truly forgotten what it was like to be young, I think.

It would probably make me vomit when I was 12. Now, I'm just so desensitized to the stuff that I don't think any kind of manga or anime would make me squeamish and I just find any kind of ridiculously over the top gorey sexy stuff amusing and funny. The one exception (I assume since I'll never read it) is High School Girl in Concrete. I draw the line at horrific real life events being depicted in a guro manga.

Bleach 265

Filler of the filler arc is finally over.

Learn about that we all need to work together with our sword spirits whatever that means.

Renji doesn't job. Arc redeemed?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Space Bros. 19
Yawnfest. Too much happening outside of the here and now, which didn't really move anywhere over the entire episode.

Mawaru-Penguindrum 15:

Okay, so seriously. No, seriously. Seriously. Come on guys, seriously.

Did you really re-make Steins;Gate with different characters and just threw in a bunch of random symbolism and metaphysical and philosophical shit to thinly disguise it? This is really what all that shit is actually about? Someone please tell me this isn't seriously what it's about. When's Okarin going to show up, anyways?

Hagure Yuusha 5

Bra tutorial episode. Now I'll know what to do if I ever get transformed into a girl.

What makes this show amazing is Akatsuki is essentially a wannabe rapist played for laughs, yet the girls still hang out with him as if his sexual harassment should be met with an "oh you" reaction. His randomly appearing standing on walls shtick is also amazing.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anyway the main point is if your like a fan of star trek, star wars, babylon 5 and the like and enjoy Anime. You are literally kicking yourself in the foot, if you don't at least check out Crest / banner of the stars and Legend of Galactic Heroes. I don't give a shit if you watched Tytania and it traumatized you 4 life. Stop kicking yourself in the foot, firehawk12!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It would probably make me vomit when I was 12. Now, I'm just so desensitized to the stuff that I don't think any kind of manga or anime would make me squeamish and I just find any kind of ridiculously over the top gorey sexy stuff amusing and funny. The one exception (I assume since I'll never read it) is High School Girl in Concrete. I draw the line at horrific real life events being depicted in a guro manga.

I find that I'm the opposite and that I'm becoming more sensitive to gore and body horror as I age, and now just about any display of viscera or horribly-deformed bodies/genitalia/etc. makes me really uncomfortable regardless of whether or not it's presented in an absurd or comedic context. Apparently I became desensitized to the comedy rather than the grotesque content itself.

Bleach 265

Filler of the filler arc is finally over.

Learn about that we all need to work together with our sword spirits whatever that means.

Renji doesn't job. Arc redeemed?

Why in the bloody everliving hell are you watching Bleach fill--

oh, Toonami.

Thoraxes

Mawaru-Penguindrum 15:

Okay, so seriously. No, seriously. Seriously. Come on guys, seriously.

Did you really re-make Steins;Gate with different characters and just threw in a bunch of random symbolism and metaphysical and philosophical shit to thinly disguise it? This is really what all that shit is actually about? Someone please tell me this isn't seriously what it's about. When's Okarin going to show up, anyways?

It's Ikuhara. You know. It's a genre of its own.

Jex

Space Bros. 19
Yawnfest. Too much happening outside of the here and now, which didn't really move anywhere over the entire episode.

Well, to be fair, there's not really much happening in any episode of Space Brothers. It's one of the slowest shows that's aired in years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom