• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

I despise Gingrich, but every R is going to use his talking points:

DIsgusting

"Deep state"

I hope so much this administrationis brought to its knees because they decided to listen to people like Laura Ingraham, Steve Doocey, Brian Kilameade, Steve Bannon, and Sean fucking Hannity.

DCXE89oVwAATI7w.jpg:large

Diablos

I don't think so. Most Republicans are happy that the House took steps to get rid of Obamacare. I don't think they have a real understanding on how the AHCA directly affects them yet.

I think that drop is in large part because things have ground to a halt. Even though Republicans control the House, Senate, and the Presidency, almost nothing is getting done. I also think the expanded investigations and Trump's erratic behavior of firing Comey took a tool on more moderate/establishment Republicans. Trumpers are still with Trump, but there's real concern among the establishment that their agenda won't get enacted because there's a wild orangutan occupying the oval office.
Yep. If AHCA passes he might get a bump in approval for reasons you outlined

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't think so. Most Republicans are happy that the House took steps to get rid of Obamacare. I don't think they have a real understanding on how the AHCA directly affects them yet.

I think that drop is in large part because things have ground to a halt. Even though Republicans control the House, Senate, and the Presidency, almost nothing is getting done. I also think the expanded investigations and Trump's erratic behavior of firing Comey took a tool on more moderate/establishment Republicans. Trumpers are still with Trump, but there's real concern among the establishment that their agenda won't get enacted because there's a wild orangutan occupying the oval office.

Last poll had AHCA at around 40% with republicans.

The AHCA isn't popular with Republicans at all

The AHCA isn't popular with Republicans at all
Yeah, but a lot of that is because it's viewed as a failure. When it passes it'll get a lot more popular with them, at least until it starts killing them.

These people don't really care about politics beyond the team sports aspect. Until it hurts them, personally, in a way they can feel, thats all they're concerned with really. Its why our legislative history as a country is so hopelessly reactive rather than proactive.

Yeah, but a lot of that is because it's viewed as a failure. When it passes it'll get a lot more popular with them, at least until it starts killing them.

These people don't really care about politics beyond the team sports aspect. Until it hurts them, personally, in a way they can feel, thats all they're concerned with really. Its why our legislative history as a country is so hopelessly reactive rather than proactive.

A lot of Republicans are the elderly that absolutely hate the ACHA and not because it's a failure.

A lot more are very afraid they're going to die. Party loyalty doesn't matter when you're threatening someone's life.

A lot of Republicans are the elderly that absolutely hate the ACHA and not because it's a failure.

A lot more are very afraid they're going to die. Party loyalty doesn't matter when you're threatening someone's life.

They will die. The AHCA absolutely demolished the ability for older Americans to get affordable health care. All it took was the AARP being against the original draft--very publicly--for me to know it was political suicide.

Blader

New Gallup poll.

Republicans happy about the direction of our country:

May: 58%

June: 41%

That's a huge drop. AHCA has to be the problem here.

Or Comey/Russia.

I think the last poll I saw on this had AHCA being popular among only 42 percent of Republicans.

You can't get to 24 percent approval ratings without a majority of Republicans opposed to it.

I despise Gingrich, but every R is going to use his talking points:

DIsgusting

Whatever happened to "if you have nothing to hide, then there's nothing to worry about" rhetoric of the Bush days? If Trump did nothing wrong -- if his campaign associates didn't collude with Russia, if he didn't obstruct justice in firing Comey -- then there's nothing to worry about and Mueller's investigation will publicly clear Trump once and for all.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
http://www.thedailybeast.com/even-t...struction-probe-president-did-this-to-himself

White House officials are still insisting to the president that he should leave Mueller in his post. “We are all advising him not to [get rid of] Mueller. That has not changed,” one Trump aide told The Daily Beast. “It would be an absolute nuclear explosion if he did.”

But some privately concede that Trump is so unpredictable—and so frustrated with the persistence of the investigation and its cost in political capital—that they’re not ruling it out. Another White House official conceded that it would be “suicide” if Trump sacked Mueller at this point, but “I’d be insincere if I said it wasn’t a concern that the president would try to do it anyway.”
For now, officials are simply concerned with limiting fallout from what is sure to be a thunderous reaction from the president to news that he is personally the target of the FBI’s probe.
Asked what the internal game plan should be, one senior Trump administration official replied, “Keep him away from Twitter, dear God, keep him away from Twitter.”

The dumbest possible move is to get in the way of the investigation or shut it down. It's not like the GOP has the government forever, and if they sandbag this past 2018 we'll go for nightly hearings in the House (while sending tons of blocked bills to the Senate).

kess

They're saying the way he's changed the standard for decency in this country is a large part of what fosters the kind of violence and shootings we've been seeing. The level of division and anger all stems from him and through conspiracy theorist radio hosts, and people like that. Which IMO is completely true.

Yeah, he ain't wrong. The social fabric has been disrupted. Look at how far right the GOP has lurched since the days they used to promote distingued men like Mueller.

Gingrich has always been a chickenshit fascist, at any age.

Chatted with my folks this morning, after they had originally said that they trusted Mueller with the investigation, they now believe that "it's clear the Obama administration planted evidence to frame Trump"

Fucking hell.

Barzul

Chatted with my folks this morning, after they had originally said that they trusted Mueller with the investigation, they now believe that "it's clear the Obama administration planted evidence to frame Trump"

Fucking hell.

They are regular consumers of Fox News I imagine?

Owzers

Fucking hell.

"But trump says they found no evidence"

Blader

If Trump did nothing wrong and the evidence is fake, then either the investigation will bear that out and he'll be exonerated OR he'll be taken down by a deep state conspiracy, proving he was not a good enough president to actually do what he said and drain the swamp.

dramatis

NPR is reporting there's some sort of explosion at a kindergarten in China (7 dead, 66 injured).

If it's another structural error/building negligence thing, heads are going to fly.

No, but they talked about how Trumps rhetoric and encouragement of violence during the campaign have contributed to the heated atmosphere. More surprising was that Mark Sanford agreed that the President needed to watch his language.

What Sanford said on Morning Joe:

GOP Rep.: Trump ‘Partially To Blame For Demons That Have Been Unleashed’

Rep. Mark Sanford (R-SC) on Thursday pinned “partial” blame for the highly charged political climate in the United States on President Donald Trump.

“I would argue that the President has unleashed — is partially — again, not totally, but partially to blame for demons that have been unleashed,” Sanford said. “Whether it’s what I saw at a senior center back home, in people saying ‘F you and F you and F you’ to each other at a senior center? At a retirement center where they’re going to see each other playing croquet the next day?”

“Or with what happened — again, not with what happened yesterday, but the fact that you’ve got the top guy saying ‘Well, I wish I could hit you in the face, and if not, why don’t you and I’ll pay your legal fees?’ that’s bizarre,” he continued. “We ought to call it as such. And what I’ve said back home, when some of these people have been frankly weird and different in a town hall meeting, I’ve said ‘What is going on?’ And they’ll say ‘Look, if the guy at the top can say anything to anybody at any time, why can’t I?’”

Apparently a bipartisan group of state senators are going to try to open a probe to investigate Greitens for corruption. Hope he gets fucked.

Why? I thought left-wing media was seeing a resurgence under Trump.
No, credible media is seeing a resurgence. There really isn't a major market for left leaning media specifically, because people on the left don't actually live in a bubble,or particularly want to.

Tommy DJ

It must honestly be sort of terrifying to see your constituents get warped like that. Its no longer people getting bogus info from Fox News, its the complete shift in attitude and the adoption of many of Trump's vices that's concerning. And these simple things can't just be blamed on Democrats.

I honestly can't think of a way to answer "if Trump can do it, why can't we say whatever we want?" without telling them that Trump is a bad person and should not be listened to. Which then, I'd lose my congress job because these people obviously view Trump in a positive light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom