• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

I hope Shorthairerer is in Nadal's half and avoids Wawa in quarters.

I wouldn't be surprised if only one of the big 4 makes it to the semis.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
you guys think 100 titles is doable?
he's at 92 that's still 8 to go.

gonna be hard if he doesn't just grinds out 250s.

I think he's going to have to do a lot of the work this year. Considering how relatively weak the field has been, seems like a good time to pick up another three or four if he can sustain this level of play and get decent draws. Though I do think he's at least going to play another two years, and always has a strong chance to win tourneys like Cincinnati, Basel, Halle, and Dubai at least. Depends on how long he can sustain his level of play though, of course.

i just can't see him winning much more this year.
absolute best case is wimby and basel, realistically just basel.
that would leave 6 for 2018 and beyond which is just not possible.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
100 titles is only meaningful to people obsessed with useless round figures. the only numbers that matter are 94 to catch lendl and 109 to catch connors. 100 means nothing.

100 titles is only meaningful to people obsessed with useless round figures. the only numbers that matter are 94 to catch lendl and 109 to catch connors. 100 means nothing.

i don't think anybody truly cares about 100 just a round number.
94 will be achieved easily, no chance for 109

I hope Shorthairerer is in Nadal's half and avoids Wawa in quarters.

I wouldn't be surprised if only one of the big 4 makes it to the semis.

Wawa struggles on the grass about as much as Nadal.

Also, it's kind of surprising to see Djokovic playing in the tournament before Wimbledon (Eastboune). You rarely see a top player play in the lead up tournament to a slam.

Wimbledon qualifying begins tomorrow. Is it still going to be televised even though Sharapova is no longer playing?

And Federer's loss against Haas was a blip. He's in form now.

Damn I had no idea Connors was the singles titles leader. You would think he would have more slams than he does...

clemenx

Banned
i just can't see him winning much more this year.
absolute best case is wimby and basel, realistically just basel.
that would leave 6 for 2018 and beyond which is just not possible.

I wonder why not? We don't really have anything to make Fed predictions for the rest of the year given his clay rest.

I'd say this is the year we can let ourselves finally be optimistic about Fed :p

Slams are a crapshoot but without knowing the schedule I guess he takes one of Cincy/Canada, Basel and Paris if he plays it. WTF too.

Ricker

Go back flashing your ass in a bikini for the paparazzi's Genie...first round defeat again in Eastbourne,to Strycova,jesus Christ...

Good luck for Wimbledon ;)

d+pad

Go back flashing your ass in a bikini for the paparazzi's Genie...first round defeat again in Eastbourne,to Strycova,jesus Christ...

Good luck for Wimbledon ;)

No shame in losing to Strycova! Not only is Strycova a higher-ranked player than Bouchard, but she's also a good grass-court player.

Regardless, I'm personally fine with Bouchard staying where she is. I used to feel kind of bad for her, but not anymore.

this whole men vs women debate in sports is so tiring.
of course men are gonna beat women in any physical sport, nature gave them a huge advantage. it's not a knock on women, doesn't make them any less great. if you gave the top women the same natural advantages the field would be even. a woman could also be the greatest tennis player ever same as a lighter boxer could be the best boxer ever despite having no chance against a bad heavyweight.

that being said, #700 was quite generous, the difference is much larger.

I just look at it as manufactured publicity. Good way of getting women's tennis in the headlines ahead of a Wimbledon where Serena won't actually be playing. Anyone with any tennis knowledge whatsoever is aware that comparing the women's level to the men's is pointless.

scarlet

and what format is that? on the women side they followed the rankings for the seeds.

IIRC, they count grass season results for seeding. Not sure if it's just the current year or last year also.

Who's making the OT?

Speaking of Serena, apparently Patrick didn't even know about the pregnancy in AO.

Diamond

this whole men vs women debate in sports is so tiring.
of course men are gonna beat women in any physical sport, nature gave them a huge advantage. it's not a knock on women, doesn't make them any less great. if you gave the top women the same natural advantages the field would be even. a woman could also be the greatest tennis player ever same as a lighter boxer could be the best boxer ever despite having no chance against a bad heavyweight.

that being said, #700 was quite generous, the difference is much larger.

We'll never know that exact difference, but yeah, no need for an outrage. After all, top female athletes could beat 99% of men out there, so in a way they already surpass that physical gap.

I feel that there wasn't too much of a backlash after what McEnroe said though.

Who's making the OT?

If nobody's up I can do the Wimby OT, but I wouldn't want people to think I have some kind of monopoly over them (I made the last two). :)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
so Rafa got fucked by Wimbledon, he is seeded 4th

it really makes very little difference where you're seeded if it is in the top 4, since you won't have to play another top 4 player until semis anyway. particularity in this case since the top 4 would be some order of murray, djokovic, nadal and federer no matter what.

if anything wawrinka is the one who got screwed. but that's what you get for being rubbish on grass. won't stop DESTINY RUN though.

DDTh4J5XUAAquJx.jpg
#blessed

sam777

it really makes very little difference where you're seeded if it is in the top 4, since you won't have to play another top 4 player until semis anyway. particularity in this case since the top 4 would be some order of murray, djokovic, nadal and federer no matter what.

if anything wawrinka is the one who got screwed. but that's what you get for being rubbish on grass. won't stop DESTINY RUN though.

More like it is what you get when you only turn up for slams.

Top Bottom