• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhh, that Crash remaster is looking pretty fucking good.

Zalman

It looks great. I wonder if it will end up replacing the originals for me. Nevertheless, I hope they do Spyro next.

It looks great. I wonder if it will end up replacing the originals for me. Nevertheless, I hope they do Spyro next.

Speaking as possibly GAF's biggest Crash jackass, N.Sane Crash 1 > Original Crash 1, at the very least, just from the few demo levels I've been able to play.

Something about this looks like a fake video game that would be plot-critical in a kids' movie.

Exactly, there is something about the models and the animations that make it look like a scripted attempt at a game that they would super impose in post onto a television or monitor.

I'll be honest, most of what is shown in that video look like a fan-made UE4 tribute to me.

Agreed, I think they could have been faithful to the originals without being slavish, instead it is the same antiquated game-play with fur shaded balloon animal characters.

TissueBox

Speaking as possibly GAF's biggest Crash jackass, N.Sane Crash 1 > Original Crash 1, at the very least, just from the few demo levels I've been able to play.

I could believe that, but wow that still sounds tittillating. Can't wait to experience it in glorious current-gen flair.

I could believe that, but wow that still sounds tittillating. Can't wait to experience it in glorious current-gen flair.

It's Crash 1 with physics and controls that feel closer to Crash 2 without sacrificing the fact that there *was* a level design difference between the two. It's as close to perfect as you can make Crash 1.

LaNaranja

It looks really really bad. Crash Bandicoot Warped is literally my favorite game of all time and I am in zero rush to go play this. I may pick it up when it is dirt cheap but everything about it just looks off and worse than the originals.

I don't think it is just nostalgia talking either. Looking at side by side comparisons of the original and the remaster you can see it more clearly. The water is particularly terrible in the remaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYaBx8n3as

RobertMuldoon

Neo Member
There was an amazing analysis of Crash Bandicoot (PS1) and a breakdown of the shapes and art style that went along with it. It was amazing, but I annoyingly can't find it.

I'm all keen for this remaster, but I'm concerned that it will lose the smaller touches that the video points out.

AlanOC91

It looks really really bad. Crash Bandicoot Warped is literally my favorite game of all time and I am in zero rush to go play this. I may pick it up when it is dirt cheap but everything about it just looks off and worse than the originals.

I don't think it is just nostalgia talking either. Looking at side by side comparisons of the original and the remaster you can see it more clearly. The water is particularly terrible in the remaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYaBx8n3as

The water in the original looks fake as shit while the remake has modern looking water effects.

The water comparison is a terrible one imo.

I do think they could have made stuff look less "clean". They need to add some grime and cracks to the tiles and stuff. That would sort it out for me.

But the water is absolutely an improvement.

There was an amazing analysis of Crash Bandicoot (PS1) and a breakdown of the shapes and art style that went along with it. It was amazing, but I annoyingly can't find it.

I'm all keen for this remaster, but I'm concerned that it will lose the smaller touches that the video points out.

This maybe?

http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

As someone that's not nostalgic for it I think it looks pretty bad actually. Mainly the character designs. And the choice for 30 fps in a platformer is really weird.

It's a platform game @30 fps so no it's not looking all that good as far as I'm concerned.

If at least 60 fps :(

Would've looked a lot better if they toned down effects quality a tad in favor of 60 fps
DCOYixQV0AAi0qu.jpg:large

DCOvA97WsAIABCW.jpg

---

psssst guys, napalm's parody-posting

_Rob_

Damn straight it is! Easily my most anticipated game of the year, Coco was just the chocolate icing on the cake.

eXistor

Something about this looks like a fake video game that would be plot-critical in a kids' movie.

My thoughts exactly since they first showed it. I have to add that I never liked Crash and I played the first one when it was new. They always came across as games imagined by people who never played videogames (I know, I know): random cartoon animal, jumping, generic pick-ups etc. Nothing about it looks interesting to me.

Omg omg I hadn't seen the jet ski water level yet and it looks gorgeous!
It's like my child hood brought back to life with amazing clarity.

GG Vicarious.

Edit: shit even the underwater scuba sections in Crash 3 look so damn good.

J4g3r

Here I thought they stuck with 30fps for this.

Nice to see it isn't.

EDIT: Couple people in here saying it is indeed 30fps, what's up with OP's video then?

Top Bottom