• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does competitive Melee have a future?

Daouzin

It'll have a future until someone improves on the formula. The game is growing despite all the hurdles being old presents. People probably would have said "no" to this question ten years ago and now it's the second or third largest fighting game out there depending on what metric you want to use.

Turns out there's no such thing. Every controller behaves differently. Load up Dolphin and 20XX and plug in different controllers and check the values for different analog sticks, they'll all have different and some offer advantages.

Yeah, I think the headline of the article puts people in the wrong mindset to read what's actually going on, but I don't remember too much of what it said since I've read more than a few things about the topic at this point. It basically comes down to the fact that GC controllers are just inconsistent. It also doesn't matter unless you're a top 5 player that wants a better chance in their matches against other top 5 players.

Sami+

It's not the continued play, it's the entitlement of the fanbase.

If the Smash game isn't exactly Melee, it's worthless. Nintendo should ignore anything except remaking Melee, which has to be played the same way with the same physics and the same exploits on the same controllers with the same characters on the same stages as before. And oh my god why is Nintendo being such fucking assholes by not pouring money and attention and support into this 16-year-old game from three hardware generations ago?!

Come on.

Project M isn't exactly like Melee and everybody was happy with that. Similar physics, sure. Not exactly the same but very close. Same controllers, yeah. I don't see why either of these are unreasonable expectations when the same is basically true of any other eSports fighter franchise.

Different "exploits" (something that literally any other fighting game calls "tech"). Different characters. Different stages. People loved it. It was popular. Melee players moved on until the game got more or less shut down.

Nobody's begging for "pouring money and attention and support". The only thing people ask for is an HD port and/or a sequel that isn't a completely different game mechanically. Kind of like Project M, which is a great game that's well liked and got people to "move on" from Melee for several years.

Man the Melee scene is garbage and the sooner it dies the better IMO, either that or stop complaining and be happy playing on your CRT t.v with your broken controllers and hosting your own crappy basement tournaments. Stop asking a company that moved on to support your dying tourney scene, and feel the need to shit on every smash game that isn't trying to be a carbon copy of melee. Seriously i'd rather have the entire scene die and everyone who refuses to move on to go with it, sooner the better. and the we can focus on the games that do matter, maybe then Nintendo could actually focus more on smash 4 tourney scene without the people stuck 15 years in the past shouting at Nintendo what basically amounts to nothing. This whole melee players are like the only thing keeping the community so split and shit

Again just my humble opinion

Jesus christ, what the fuck is wrong with you? You're saying you want people to fucking die because they like a game you don't and succeeded in pushing their community to the mainstream?

I've been going to nationals with both Smash 4 AND Melee for about two years now and have never met anyone as outright antagonistic and toxic as you. Neither from the Melee side or the Smash 4 side. I was always a Smash 4 player until very recently and my group of friends have gotten along great with the Melee players - we have tournaments together weekly and although the community's are relatively separate we're all friends and there's always some overlap.

Smash 4 sounds so important to you apparently but I'm willing to bet $10 Paypal right now you can't beat me in a set online. Because I'm willing to bet I've played the game more seriously than you, for longer than you, and have been more a part of that game's community than you. I know Smash 4 and I like Smash 4.

"Seriously i'd rather have the entire scene die and everyone who refuses to move on to go with it, sooner the better"... What a gross thing to say

Honestly most of this shit is just GAF not understanding the scene, not Smash 4 players. As someone who has attended all kinds of Smash tournaments ranging from locals to regionals to supernationals in the past couple years, most Melee and Smash 4 players seem to get along pretty well in person.

Yeah, same.

Honestly most of this shit is just GAF not understanding the scene, not Smash 4 players. As someone who has attended all kinds of Smash tournaments ranging from locals to regionals to supernationals in the past couple years, most Melee and Smash 4 players seem to get along pretty well in person.
Pretty much. Some people here are so disconnected on the Smash scene, it's funny. People here are painting Melee players as some elitist douchebags that hate all the games that are not Melee and despise everyone else, but that's not true lmao. Sure, some of them may not like the mechanics of another and prefer one over the other, but hate is far from it.

You guys are painting that narrative, not them.

Man the Melee scene is garbage and the sooner it dies the better IMO, either that or stop complaining and be happy playing on your CRT t.v with your broken controllers and hosting your own crappy basement tournaments. Stop asking a company that moved on to support your dying tourney scene, and feel the need to shit on every smash game that isn't trying to be a carbon copy of melee. Seriously i'd rather have the entire scene die and everyone who refuses to move on to go with it, sooner the better. and the we can focus on the games that do matter, maybe then Nintendo could actually focus more on smash 4 tourney scene without the people stuck 15 years in the past shouting at Nintendo what basically amounts to nothing. This whole melee players are like the only thing keeping the community so split and shit

Case in point.

Melee can exist, but exist quietly to yourselves and stop with the entitlement. Nintendo owes you nothing and has moved on. I ain't hurt cause you guys still wanna play melee, ain't losing no sleep over melee players you do you. I doubt melee will last much longer anyways when they run outta broken controllers or the pro's retire. I give it 3 more years, and at the very least will stop seeing the same 10 people hailing melee as the best thing ever and why its not getting supported like its newest iteration.

Anyone looking to getting into smash, i feel sorry for if they go to a smash forum that host both melee and any other smash, good way to turn that person off of smash completely. Melee hurts the smash community as a whole. :)
Ping Pong can exist, but exist quietly to yourselves and stop with the entitlement. Wimbledon owes you nothing and has moved on. I ain't hurt cause you guys still wanna play ping pong, ain't losing no sleep over ping pong players you do you. I doubt Ping Pong will last much longer anyways when they run outta broken paddles or the pro's retire. I give it 3 more years, and at the very least will stop seeing the same 10 people hailing Ping Pong as the best thing ever and why its not getting supported like its bigger iteration.

Anyone looking to getting into ping pong, i feel sorry for if they go to a ping pong forum that host both ping pong and tennis, good way to turn that person off of ping pong completely. Ping pong hurts the ball whacking community as a whole. :)

exfatal

Project M isn't exactly like Melee and everybody was happy with that. Similar physics, sure. Not exactly the same but very close. Same controllers, yeah. I don't see why either of these are unreasonable expectations when the same is basically true of any other eSports fighter franchise.

Different "exploits" (something that literally any other fighting game calls "tech"). Different characters. Different stages. People loved it. It was popular. Melee players moved on until the game got more or less shut down.

Nobody's begging for "pouring money and attention and support". The only thing people ask for is an HD port and/or a sequel that isn't a completely different game mechanically. Kind of like Project M, which is a great game that's well liked and got people to "move on" from Melee for several years.

Jesus christ, what the fuck is wrong with you? You're saying you want people to fucking die because they like a game you don't and succeeded in pushing their community to the mainstream?

I've been going to nationals with both Smash 4 AND Melee for about two years now and have never met anyone as outright antagonistic and toxic as you. Neither from the Melee side or the Smash 4 side. I was always a Smash 4 player until very recently and my group of friends have gotten along great with the Melee players - we have tournaments together weekly and although the community's are relatively separate we're all friends and there's always some overlap.

Smash 4 sounds so important to you apparently but I'm willing to bet $10 Paypal right now you can't beat me in a set online. Because I'm willing to bet I've played the game more seriously than you, for longer than you, and have been more a part of that game's community than you. I know Smash 4 and I like Smash 4.

"Seriously i'd rather have the entire scene die and everyone who refuses to move on to go with it, sooner the better"... What a gross thing to say

Yeah, same.

LMAO easy there you little fire cracker.. i didn't say i want people to actually die over a game, just that the game dies in a fire and is forgotten about. so those people playing melee are forced to either move on or drop the game completely. And can you beat me in a set? hmm who knows, but i can tell you i don't give 2 shits if you can or not doesnt change my humble opinion :) lol big man gonna 10$

Anyways just correcting that one part i don't want people to die. So settle down cowboy, me saying these things shouldn't hurt your scene too much if at all.

Ping Pong can exist, but exist quietly to yourselves and stop with the entitlement. Wimbledon owes you nothing and has moved on. I ain't hurt cause you guys still wanna play ping pong, ain't losing no sleep over ping pong players you do you. I doubt Ping Pong will last much longer anyways when they run outta broken paddles or the pro's retire. I give it 3 more years, and at the very least will stop seeing the same 10 people hailing Ping Pong as the best thing ever and why its not getting supported like its bigger iteration.

Anyone looking to getting into ping pong, i feel sorry for if they go to a ping pong forum that host both ping pong and tennis, good way to turn that person off of ping pong completely. Ping pong hurts the ball whacking community as a whole. :)

lol this guy gets it!? whats wrong with everyone else. Tennis is the shit and ping pong is holding it back.

lol this is fun.. but just to point out again. I DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO DIE CAUSE THEY PLAY MELEE!!!!!

WesFX

Neo Member
I don't agree much with your opening words, but Smash 4 is gaining popularity. That simple fact will diminish Melee's standing over time. I think a rerelease of Melee, VC-like, if it landed with the right timing could help, and a graphical/content/balance update would obviously be huge, but no guarantee it could outlast a Smash 5, for example.

LMAO easy there you little fire cracker.. i didn't say i want people to actually die over a game, just that the game dies in a fire and is forgotten about. so those people playing melee are forced to either move on or drop the game completely. And can you beat me in a set? hmm who knows, but i can tell you i don't give 2 shits if you can or not doesnt change my humble opinion :) lol big man gonna 10$

Anyways just correcting that one part i don't want people to die. So settle down cowboy, me saying these things shouldn't hurt your scene too much if at all.

lol this guy gets it!? whats wrong with everyone else. Tennis is the shit and ping pong is holding it back.

lol this is fun.. but just to point out again. I DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO DIE CAUSE THEY PLAY MELEE!!!!!

Do you realize this comes off as flamebait?

Sami+

Everyone can know if you're up for it. Smash 4 really matters to you apparently so I'm just curious if it actually is or if you're just talk. :)

I don't really give a shit if you like the game or not I just think you and your attitude toxic and would enjoy beating you at a video game that apparently matters to you. I'm not the one who said those words in the first place, you are.

It disproves your point because Project M isn't Melee, lmao. It's a very common belief throughout the community (including top players who have echoed this sentiment) that if Brawl had played liked Project M from the beginning, Melee would have died and the community would have moved on. As it was, in the height of its popularity Project M provided a worthwhile replacement and improvement on everything people enjoyed about Melee at the time - the characters, the speed, the tech (including new tech that was carried over from Brawl!), the stages, and the community.

Project M is not the same game as Melee. It plays differently, is balanced differently, it looks different, and has more content. But it is close enough to Melee that many considered it a worthwhile sequel to the game they enjoyed and moved on. That is why it disproves your point. If another game like Project M were to come out in an official capacity, the community would move on. Would Melee still be played? Yes. Because people love it and will continue to love it. But the effect that Project M had on the community in the height of its popularity proves that all Melee players want to "move on" is a game that satisfies the core reasons why they enjoy Melee in the first place.

I don't think this is nearly as "simple" for Nintendo as it sounds because Project M did not exist in a void next to Melee. It was the "next best thing" to past Melee players that got burned on Brawl. A hypothetical situation in which Brawl, as released by Nintendo, is basically what we know of Project M, or more realistically, is something closer to Project M, could have resulted in Melee getting abandoned, or it could have resulted with someone developing Project Double M, or it could have led to Melee fans collectively deciding to stick to Melee faster than it happened in our reality. To paraphrase Chronicles of Narnia, you never know what would have happened, what you may know is what did or will. Exodus of PM players towards Melee did start before the project takedown and tournament denials being things.

By Smash 4 release the Melee community has grown cautious. Things that would have probably been just accepted in pre-Brawl world are way more prone to detract Melee players from supporting a new game, because by now their default way of thinking is that Nintendo can't top Melee, as supported by previous games not doing it.

An interestingly attractive element of proprietary games as opposed to "open" ones is the rule arbitration. In chess, there have been people playing with mods of sorts to make the game interesting once it started to get boring to them, and these mods eventually became recognized as official game rules of some organizations, composed of players. This is not the case with, say, Street Fighter V, where whatever Capcom says are the rules of SFV, is the rules of SFV... when you play online, at least, since that encourages version updates. The negative side to this is that you can't try out changes to the rules even if they feel blatantly obvious to you. The positive side to this is that players are not tasked with determining whether the rules of the game they play are broken by some new strategy, or is that a new and exciting consequence of the rules that does not invalidate them. The community decision is limited to playing SFV or not playing SFV. By sponsoring SFV and not older games, Capcom pushes the earlier option.

If you wanted to make a Smash game that would bring the Melee crowd over, you would have to make a game that is interesting to that crowd, but there is no obvious criterion for determining whether it is or it isn't, besides the "is like Melee" test, at which Melee wins by default, as it is the arbiter. Of course each individual member of Melee crowd has some sort of preferences that could be fulfilled in some sort of opposition to that test, but for crowd as a whole to move on, you would probably need something more arbitrary. Now, Nintendo could throw in some extras for the tournament scene in general in order to make Melee less attractive, the tricky part is, they didn't really do this before, so it could meet a pretty cynical reaction.

I think what will eventually break Melee will come from the inside instead of the outside. Mass hardware failures, huge community scandal, a strategy that makes 90% of matches boring, something along these lines.

Neptonic

I'm tired of finals being the same 5 or 6 guys. Like new blood is there but they just can't compete with the top, so we never see fresh matchups at the highest level of play.

Meffer

I feel the Melee community doesn't know what they want.

They want support from Nintendo, but they don't want Nintendo to influence their scene on anyway.

They want bigger pots, but they don't want the level of Corporate presence this will bring with the pot.

They want eSports representation, but they don't want their top players "selling out" to the biggest sponsors or selling stuff.

And they want Melee HD, but they don't want the game to be changed at all. They want the same exact game with no input lag, no hitbox adjustments, no character buffs or nerfs, and full support for the gamecube controller (This last one is obvious to me).

And they want to remain grassroots when the scene has inevitably grown larger and larger to the point professional administration is essential. Every week there is a new logistical scandal because they try to keep running 100+ tournaments like you run friendlies.

And, inevitably, the top players will retire one by one, and the new blood is going to diminish. The game is highly technical and time consuming at the level is at, PPMD for example hasn't entered a singles tournament in a while because he feels he lacks the stamina for it, half the players have suffered hand injuries, and the competes always will compete with the newer, more accessible Smash game to attract new players.

As an spectator game, Melee is amazing and top of the line. It has to be, its been played at the highest level for more than a decade and you won't see movement that crisp in any other game. But it will get more and more niche and it should reach the point where its only played by few.

But who knows, emulation, the wii and the constant flow of Gamecube controllers can keep the game alive, and its high ceiling will keep people playing it. As long as people are watching, people will be playing it.

They also like to suck the fun out of the newer installments. I recall a reaction video of a notable person in the Smash community watching all the new stages for 4. He was laughing his ass off saying BANNED to all the fun stages that didn't match to the rules and requirements eSports Smash players adhere to.

Like geez man.

I'm tired of finals being the same 5 or 6 guys. Like new blood is there but they just can't compete with the top, so we never see fresh matchups at the highest level of play.
well if they want to compete then maybe they should improve enough to take sets off. it's not like it's any different in other games lol.

exfatal

Everyone can know if you're up for it. Smash 4 really matters to you apparently so I'm just curious if it actually is or if you're just talk. :)

I don't really give a shit if you like the game or not I just think you and your attitude toxic and would enjoy beating you at a video game that apparently matters to you.

I enjoy thee smash series, and enjoyed melee when it came out. even still enjoyed it when brawl came out. but by that time i can see where the community was heading. and it just got worse. I still play smash 4 every now and then but not super into it anymore. The entire scene matters to me still though and i want it to be good. but i do believe Melee players or at least the ones i run into on forums are normally just putting down the game and anyone who thinks smash 4 could be better then it. Not gonna argue what actually is, but from what i've seen and experience the melee part of the smash scene just seems to be getting worse. So yeah so sry i dont take melee or smash as serious as you guys anymore but i can still tell a toxic community when i see one. and Melee and unfortunately smash as a whole is falling into that for me at least.

I will admit though i was acting way more childish then i should have with the responses so i'll apologize for that, since it got people thinking the wrong thing.

Edit: also melee is a slog to watch soo booorrrinngg... >_>

Sami+

I enjoy thee smash series, and enjoyed melee when it came out. even still enjoyed it when brawl came out. but by that time i can see where the community was heading. and it just got worse. I still play smash 4 every now and then but not super into it anymore. The entire scene matters to me still though and i want it to be good. but i do believe Melee players or at least the ones i run into on forums are normally just putting down the game and anyone who thinks smash 4 could be better then it. Not gonna argue what actually is, but from what i've seen and experience the melee part of the smash scene just seems to be getting worse. So yeah so sry i dont take melee or smash as serious as you guys anymore but i can still tell a toxic community when i see one. and Melee and unfortunately smash as a whole is falling into that for me at least.

I will admit though i was acting way more childish then i should have with the responses so i'll apologize for that, since it got people thinking the wrong thing.

Edit: also melee is a slog to watch soo booorrrinngg... >_>

Literally the only person being toxic in this thread is you bud.

Puruzi

Banned
They also like to suck the fun out of the newer installments. I recall a reaction video of a notable person in the Smash community watching all the new stages for 4. He was laughing his ass off saying BANNED to all the fun stages that didn't match to the rules and requirements eSports Smash players adhere to.

Like geez man.
That video is hilarious and he actually likes Smash 4, he's a commentator for it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
These topics are always the exact same thing. People unfamiliar with the Melee community reciting the same old tired memes and hot takes without any interest in gaining an understanding of anything about the game or the community.

"Dead game, nobody cares about it, they need to move on"
"Meta is nothing but bugs and glitches, wavecheating and fun-canceling."
"Melee players don't want anything that isn't a bit-perfect replica of [NTSC] Melee"

etc etc.

At least the classic "When will Melee players stop wavedashing into my house, tying me down, and forcing me to play their rules every day?!" is basically dead at this point.

Sami+

I don't think this is nearly as "simple" for Nintendo as it sounds because Project M did not exist in a void next to Melee. It was the "next best thing" to past Melee players that got burned on Brawl. A hypothetical situation in which Brawl, as released by Nintendo, is basically what we know of Project M, or more realistically, is something closer to Project M, could have resulted in Melee getting abandoned, or it could have resulted with someone developing Project Double M, or it could have led to Melee fans collectively deciding to stick to Melee faster than it happened in our reality. To paraphrase Chronicles of Narnia, you never know what would have happened, what you may know is what did or will. Exodus of PM players towards Melee did start before the project takedown and tournament denials being things.

By Smash 4 release the Melee community has grown cautious. Things that would have probably been just accepted in pre-Brawl world are way more prone to detract Melee players from supporting a new game, because by now their default way of thinking is that Nintendo can't top Melee, as supported by previous games not doing it.

An interestingly attractive element of proprietary games as opposed to "open" ones is the rule arbitration. In chess, there have been people playing with mods of sorts to make the game interesting once it started to get boring to them, and these mods eventually became recognized as official game rules of some organizations, composed of players. This is not the case with, say, Street Fighter V, where whatever Capcom says are the rules of SFV, is the rules of SFV... when you play online, at least, since that encourages version updates. The negative side to this is that you can't try out changes to the rules even if they feel blatantly obvious to you. The positive side to this is that players are not tasked with determining whether the rules of the game they play are broken by some new strategy, or is that a new and exciting consequence of the rules that does not invalidate them. The community decision is limited to playing SFV or not playing SFV. By sponsoring SFV and not older games, Capcom pushes the earlier option.

If you wanted to make a Smash game that would bring the Melee crowd over, you would have to make a game that is interesting to that crowd, but there is no obvious criterion for determining whether it is or it isn't, besides the "is like Melee" test, at which Melee wins by default, as it is the arbiter. Of course each individual member of Melee crowd has some sort of preferences that could be fulfilled in some sort of opposition to that test, but for crowd as a whole to move on, you would probably need something more arbitrary. Now, Nintendo could throw in some extras for the tournament scene in general in order to make Melee less attractive, the tricky part is, they didn't really do this before, so it could meet a pretty cynical reaction.

I think what will eventually break Melee will come from the inside instead of the outside. Mass hardware failures, huge community scandal, a strategy that makes 90% of matches boring, something along these lines.

This is a really well written post.

I think it is a really interesting conversation. You're right that the assumption, while common, is still just that- an assumption. I will say, however, in defense of the Project M exodus, that Project M suffers many more caveats than Melee just by virtue of being what it is and that was beginning to be apparent by that time. It also suffered the same weaknesses Melee did in that it was only possible to play on the Wii, with the preferred method also being on a CRT. If it had been on a more modern console and enjoyed the benefits that those offered things may or may not have been different, but again, we can only really guess.

Melee will die one day, it's inevitable. I don't think it'll be anything as dramatic as what you say, just from an eventual loss of interest through aging. It'll be as alive (maybe a bit more) as old Street Fighters are maybe, but yeah the popularity and growth the scene is experiencing now isn't going to be sustainable for much longer without an HD port.

I do agree with you that the community is also going to be much more cautious of change moving forward just because 15 years is a really long time, haha. That much is definitely true, and I also agree that this can kind of be a negative thing even now (Smashbox). That being said though, I still think it's a stretch to assume that any proper Melee rerelease or sequel would be dead on arrival because of stubborn Melee players. It's just not true. Lots of Melee players play netplay today in spite of its imperfections, lots of people played PM back in the day (and even now! Lucky and Hbox entered and placed highly at the most recent PM tournament), I've seen people using monitors on Wiis with HDMI adapters before (I do this too actually just so my setup can be a little mobile), and so on. The narrative that Melee players are all a bunch of stubborn, elitist old men is rooted in Brawl drama from like 2009 and just isn't true anymore, if it ever was.

These topics are always the exact same thing. People unfamiliar with the Melee community reciting the same old tired memes and hot takes without any interest in gaining an understanding of anything about the game or the community.

"Dead game, nobody cares about it, they need to move on"
"Meta is nothing but bugs and glitches, wavecheating and fun-canceling."
"Melee players don't want anything that isn't a bit-perfect replica of [NTSC] Melee"

etc etc.

At least the classic "When will Melee players stop wavedashing into my house, tying me down, and forcing me to play their rules every day?!" is basically dead at this point.

This one kills me because people still play PAL at huge tournaments, including US players lol.

exfatal

Literally the only person being toxic in this thread is you bud.

Wasn't talking about this thread just smash threads in general, and dont know how i was being toxic, said my piece people didn't agree with it, not like i was forcing them too, also a person thought i actually meant to for people to die over a video game, which i found silly but corrected myself and apologized for the misunderstanding. soo meh guess im literally the only toxic person in smash threads

also im not your BUDDY, PAL!

DylanEno

Lol. Yes.

The real questioning is whether or not its future will be supported by Nintendo in any meaningful capacity, the answer of which will probably be a resounding "nope."

Galang

Banned
Not a competitive player at all, but Melee is still unrivaled for me in terms of fighting games. I could never play it now as I'm sick of the characters and graphics, but I'd jump all over a sequel or remaster with new characters

Anteo

Like geez man.

You act as if the smash 4 competitive community play on those stages lmao. They dont, they have less stages than melee, go figure.

This isn't even true anymore outside of Armada. The top 6 may have remained the top 6 for quite a long time now, but their relative positions and how they are favored in certain MU's against one another is constantly in flux.

And new blood can certainly compete with the top. Zain, a post documentary player, sent Leffen, a top 5 player, to the losers bracket in a crazy hype set. Chudat, who is super old blood from the early days, has recently crawled back to the top 10. The gods aren't even as invincible as they once were (Armada being the sole exception) and they have dropped games and sets to top 10 and top 20 members.

Edit; And in terms of Finals, we've had numerous major tournaments this year where a non top 6 was in Grand Finals, and one where they came in from winners side. And a few smaller tournaments where a singular member of the top 6 have lost the whole thing.

Sami+

You act as if the smash 4 competitive community play on those stages lmao. They dont, they have less stages than melee, go figure.

Stages that were legal in Brawl aren't even legal in Smash 4 anymore which is just as funny tbh.

Delfino, Halberd, Castle Siege. "Jank" is the word I see Smash 4 players toss around a lot.

Also Duck Hunt is banned now, and Lylat got banned for like 2 seconds before people changed their minds.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Love these hot takes from people who have never watched a single game of competitive smash in their life.

Crayolan

I will never understand "you should stop playing x game because it's old." Do people who make this complaint also hate backwards compatibility and virtual console? Why do you even care what games other people play?

Like geez man.

You don't need to be a competitive smash player to have a laugh at how silly and difficult to play on some of the stages in smash 4 are.

Dyle

Smash 4 easter eggs show up in anime, therefore Melee is dead.

Hungrybox is such a great troll, in and out of game. Between him and Leffen we're lucky to have such great villains to love to hate.

You don't need to be a competitive smash player to have a laugh at how silly and difficult to play on some of the stages in smash 4 are.
LEGALIZE PALUTENA'S TEMPLE

A future for the next few years? Sure, but long term? No. The games becoming increasingly inaccessible on several fronts (as the level of play gets higher, it becomes harder to penetrate a high level of play, and also, gradually the game and equipment becomes less easy to come by).

The latter can be addressed with a rerelease, the former, cannot. So it will die, but I wouldn't like to suggest I know when. If I were forced to guess then I'd say within the next 5-7 years, but probably dropping off major tournament scenes within the next 2-3. Nintendo seem to be pushing their own competitive games now (SMash 4, Arms, Splatoon etc.) which will also shift some players away from melee.

WaterAstro

It would be interesting to see if they can implement a "Melee Mode" where it the physics, skill sets, and roster are the same as Melee, but it would be on the latest Smash as an extra mode.

Of course, Sakurai will probably think his new ideas will be superior and don't want Melee in the latest games.

Renna Hazel

I don't really give a shit if you like the game or not I just think you and your attitude toxic and would enjoy beating you at a video game that apparently matters to you. I'm not the one who said those words in the first place, you are.

Smash 4 matters to me, I'll play you.

GamerJM

Banned

How much Melee do you watch? If it's just the top 8 at big tournaments, I suggest you try to go out of your way to watch matches from top 64 and round 2 of pools from national tournaments just once. There's tons of cool matchups from unique players that you get to see, and there are a ton of people dedicated to Melee so people at that level are still really mindblowingly good at the game.

It would be interesting to see if they can implement a "Melee Mode" where it the physics, skill sets, and roster are the same as Melee, but it would be on the latest Smash as an extra mode.

Of course, Sakurai will probably think his new ideas will be superior and don't want Melee in the latest games.

I feel like the biggest problem with this is that they'd have to do balancing shit for both this and the regular mode. IIRC very early into Smash 4's life people came up with an alternative ruleset that involved an obscure equipment setup that made the game faster, but it didn't take off both because it was really jank and really unbalanced.

Edit: Wait I just realized you said roster. So it would basically be Melee HD just as an extra mode? I've thought about this idea before and really like it, but it would have to be a 1-to-1 conversion or close.

I hope it does for the purely selfish reason of wanting an affordable GC controller to play Sunshine with.

TOP BOGARDING THE CONTROLLERS DAMMIT.

This is anything but humble.

Its split because Melees success was an accident that Nintendo will never intentionally repeat, and its not a similar game. Aside from HBox spur of the moment speech, who is "shouting at Nintendo"? We got here on our own and likely will continue to.

its not complicated.

goldenpp72

I'm good, not fiending for mm's. It was a response to the stuff he was saying. I quit Smash 4 about a month ago.

giphy.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the biggest problem with this is that they'd have to do balancing shit for both this and the regular mode. IIRC very early into Smash 4's life people came up with an alternative ruleset that involved an obscure equipment setup that made the game faster, but it didn't take off both because it was really jank and really unbalanced.

Edit: Wait I just realized you said roster. So it would basically be Melee HD just as an extra mode? I've thought about this idea before and really like it, but it would have to be a 1-to-1 conversion or close.

The biggest problem with a Melee mode in the next Smash game is that it would be completely redundant. The only thing stopping Sakurai/Nintendo from making a game that would appeal to everyone, including Melee players, is themselves.

DylanEno

do they have to?

Is that seriously a question? Of course not. It'd help tremendously, but if the past 16 years have demonstrated anything, it's that the scene will continue to stay fairly healthy. We'll see if that continues, but for now I see no reason to worry about its future.

GamerJM

Banned
The biggest problem with a Melee mode in the next Smash game is that it would be completely redundant. The only thing stopping Sakurai/Nintendo from making a game that would appeal to everyone, including Melee players, is themselves.

This is true. I guess people who prefer competitive Smash 4 over Melee mechanics would want the standard mechanics to return but the average casual player clearly doesn't care much about what movement options are like.

Nose Master

It's a scene revolving around an obsolete version of a fighting game series. At best, it has the momentum it does right now. What would they do, release Melee 2? Smash fans are some of the hardest to please in the FGC, which is one of the whinier competitive gaming scenes. Why would they pour development resources into that? For a couple thousand people?

It's a fanservice game that got a weird cult following because of bugs. No, it does not have a future.

Sami+

Lol. I get how it looks but it really wasn't an open challenge, I'm just okay at the game. I just really didn't like the "fuck melee because it ruins smash 4 for some reason and smash 4 is the game that matters mentality" because the two have coexisted just fine and I want to qualify that by proving I know a lot about Smash 4 and played it a lot. I've just personally gotten tired of it and very recently picked up Melee.

Yeah all the "Melee mode" thing would do would fracture the Smash 5 community. It's a really weird situation and there's no ideal solution.

Top Bottom