• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Xbox One and 360 Were The Top Selling Consoles In December...in USA

People called me crazy for my prediction. Heheheheh

Microsoft at $500 is selling better in the US than the more powerful, cheaper PS4.

Dat ecosystem, dat US appeal.

Has basically nothing to do with it. Sony can't keep the things on shelves, it's clearly supply constant at work.

Ms obviously is pushing all they can make to the US to try to keep their marketshare there. Sony has to send a lot more to Euro and Asian markets, and it's hurting their US numbers.

Who knows how the picture will look once availability stabilizes. Still, MS has a nice PR win for the US you can be damn sure they will push till the next NPD numbers hit. I expect them to boast about it in basically all marketing for the rest of the month.

Thoraxes

Major Nelson stated the Xbox 360 and Xbox One were the Top-Selling for their respective generations and Aaron said the 360 sold well. I assume Aaron means the 360 sold well because it beat the Wii and PS3, but probably didn't beat the Xbox One or PS4.

Then it should be updated to reflect that.

not surprising. Microsoft was stuffing the channels in the US while sony was shipping to a bunch of countries. However, what is surprising is that the xbox one didn't break 1 million units, even with all that stock available. I really think if they released 50 or even 100 bucks cheaper, it would have made a huge difference.

B.O.O.M

That's my point though. If they 'lost' by 10-20k units, this release by MS might push Sony to release figures as a defensive measure

If they didn't do it when they won, they won't do it this time. There really is no need really

Sony used to release numbers all the time until the 360 was crushing PS3 at every turn, then they stopped.

Crushing is a strong word lol 360 did great in the market but even in months PS3 put up great numbers sony just didn't bother. They won't change it when they 'crush' XBone either. And that's the right approach to take.

Kuro

People called me crazy for my prediction. Heheheheh

Microsoft at $500 is selling better in the US than the more powerful, cheaper PS4.

Dat ecosystem, dat US appeal.

More like Dat Sony couldn't supply enough consoles to meet demand because they have other countries to worry about.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So demand is higher for X1 in the US?
Depends on what you mean by that.

Is the demand for the Xbone higher in the US than the demand for the Xbone in Europe. Then yes, that is the case.

Is the demand for the Xbone higher in the US than the demand for the PS4 in the US. Then we don't know that.

Griss

Lower than I thought, but at least I had XB1 beating PS4. Congrats Microsoft. I may have no interest in your machine, but it has been a good launch.

jbug617

Banned
Here is Xbox report.

Total combined retail spend on the Xbox platform (Xbox One and Xbox 360) in December reached $1.39 billion, 50 percent of the combined software, hardware and accessories spend in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

Fans continue to show their excitement for new generation Xbox One games, with U.S. consumers purchasing an average of 2.9 games* per console since launch.
http://mjr.mn/1i2Mq9O

Will be interesting to see if Sony can right its ship on the supply front for January and February but with the Japan launch looming... I'm not so sure that it can.

I suspect Microsoft will surge ahead for good once Titanfall brainwashes the masses this March.

They will win one market while losing everywhere else. Yippee.

Your post contradicts itself

Kusagari

No, not when the prior month was launch. In fact, no console has ever hit a million in December after launching that November.

Most consoles have had heavy shortages so that really says nothing. The Xbone is the first console I can think of to have zero shortages and clearly be successful enough, based off its Nov numbers, to hit a mill in December.

If anything, the Xbones Nov/Dec is eerily similar to Wii U's - except on an obviously more successful scale.

RELIGHT

Banned
The title is misleading. The 360 and Bone weren't the two top selling, they were the two top selling in their respective gens.

Gestault

fQCKbf0.jpg

kinggroin

Banned
Has basically nothing to do with it. Sony can't keep the things on shelves, it's clearly supply constant at work.

Ms obviously is pushing all they can make to the US to try to keep their marketshare there. Sony has to send a lot more to Euro and Asian markets, and it's hurting their US numbers.

Who knows how the picture will look once availability stabilizes. Still, MS has a nice PR win for the US you can be damn sure they will push till the next NPD numbers hit. I expect them to boast about it in basically all marketing for the rest of the month.

More like Dat Sony couldn't supply enough consoles to meet demand because they have other countries to worry about.

I still hold firm that demand will only go to favor Microsoft in the long run, regardless of how Sony satisfies US supply chains.

US gamers want the Xbox One and its games more than they do the PS4, even at $100 more.

Guess we'll sew how right or wrong I am once the drought months come in and Sony gets consoles on shelves.

Prine

Banned
Amazing console, great sales! And at $500 its doing big numbers! Now we need PS4 number.....COME ON SONY!!!

TyrantII

So wouldn't that leave < 200,000 outside NA to make up their 3.1 million WW after accounting for Nov?

Did they really shift that much to NA?

It's not like this comment of yours is illuminating however - the tweet specifically says NPD, so it's North America, and in any event, the vast, vast, vast majority of XBO's sales have come from the USA, where demand has been met at last with excess supply. Everywhere else in the world has become a dry dock.

Meanwhile, as hard as Sony tried, they shipped in more than 50 countries (vs. 13, in which only UK and US was of concern to MS), of which demand is high in many of them, and even though they diverted stock to the USA, every report we've had suggested they were unable to meet demand. Amazon been taking pre-orders for January shipments. I mean, it's crazy.

Neither is this comment illuminating - Microsoft specifically did not ship in more than 13 countries because they knew they did not have the supply to. Sony shipped in more countries because they thought they could do it, and the demand was there. Most countries could give a shit about XBO. PS4 is a global brand, Xbox is increasingly a US-only brand. Even UK is no longer a frontier for Microsoft.
This is wrong initially, the rest of the world is not a dry dock. Everywhere I have been in the UK over the holidays has vast excess stock of the X1 but no PS4 units at all.

Amir0x

Banned
That more likely confirms that the 3M sold-through was BS.

How do we know? What is the current projection on sales breakdown? Seems 3M+ (they said more than 3 million, right?) is accurate if these sales are correct. I am bad at math though :p

Depends on what you mean by that.

Is the demand for the Xbone higher in the US than the demand for the Xbone in Europe. Then yes, that is the case.

Is the demand for the Xbone higher in the US than the demand for the PS4 in the US. Then we don't know that.

But man, this does paint a picture of how dire Sony's PS4 stock was in the USA. We're talking they are under 600k units or less in the USA since they did not beat 360, and as we know they literally sold every unit they could manufacture. How long is it going to take for Sony to finally meet demand in all the countries frothing at the mouth for PS4? Is the fact that they spread their units over 50+ countries only making it look crazier than it really is for the PS4? I mean, don't get me wrong, 4.1 million or whatever is insane, but what I mean is if Sony say had unlimited stock in the USA, what would they have needed to sell to finally hit the demand of everyone who currently had plans to buy one?

NathanCX said:
This is wrong initially, the rest of the world is not a dry dock. Everywhere I have been in the UK over the holidays has vast excess stock of the X1 but no PS4 units at all.

Haha, sorry, I used the wrong saying for that. I meant, the rest of the world does not really give a shit about the XBO, save the UK (and maybe Australia, was never clear on that), which is showing clear signs of dramatic slowing down for the XBO already. So I meant it's dry for Microsoft in terms of demand. They MUST do extremely well in the US or UK or they legitimately have no chance to come close to even 360 or PS3 numbers.

Top Bottom