• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderful 101 first Review: "ample justification for Nintendo's eccentric hardware"

Had never seen gameplay of this game, it looks fucking fantastic. Between this game and Pikmin 3 a WiiU looks tempting now.

I've never cared for this mentality. Why can't we have empathy for the people who make the games we love? Personally I'd like to see their hard work rewarded.

No, I understand that fully and that's why I am doing my part by getting the game day 1 and will spread the word annoyingly on Miiverse, etc... so that the talent gets acknowledged.

What I mean is that some take pride in robotically and predictably trying to belittle a game by bringing up lack of sales that they are sure of.

It's not even a sales-thread and it's still mentioned.

I'd rather talk about the merits and quality of the game and be thankful it's actually coming out than try to poop on the parade.

I hope it sells a lot but either way, neither Kamiya nor Nintendo is sweating it because you can't put a price on pride.

Not sure why everyone is hung up on the thread title, the author is pretty clearly including this game when he says it.

Been looking forward to this since before the system came out. Really happy if it hits a high bar. I'll be there day one, getting this and not GTA.

I didn't know this was a sales thread, dude.

Well, fair enough: it's off topic. But I wasn't replying to "keep on topic", it almost said you're a bad person if you bring up sales.

I disagree. If anything, this game NEEDS sales discussion, or more specifically, it needs grass-roots encouragement along the lines of what Demon's Souls received. Likely the only things it will have going for it are reviews and word of mouth. In this age of social media, and on a console with a feature like MiiVerse, maybe it'll have a chance to sell decently despite its low profile.

No, I understand that fully and that's why I am doing my part by getting the game day 1 and will spread the word annoyingly on Miiverse, etc... so that the talent gets acknowledged.

What I mean is that some take pride in robotically and predictably trying to belittle a game by bringing up lack of sales that they are sure of.

It's not even a sales-thread and it's still mentioned.

I'd rather talk about the merits and quality of the game and be thankful it's actually coming out than try to poop on the parade.

I hope it sells a lot but either way, neither Kamiya nor Nintendo is sweating it because you can't put a price on pride.

Ah, my apologies then. Didn't realize how often that was being regurgitated by naysayers(from what I'm now reading). I've tried to keep out of most of these threads simply to avoid spoilers. Good luck, really hope this game does well.

That review got me so damn hyped. September can't come fast enough. My birthday is this month but i'm actually looking forward to the game's release date more.

PhantomR

Banned
My my, my Wii U is going to be working hard the rest of the year.

August:

Pikmin 3
Splinter Cell

September:

Rayman Legends
TW101
Deus Ex

October:

Sonic Lost World
WINDWAKER HD

November:

Watch Dogs
Donkey Kong

December:

Super Mario 3D World

tumblr_malo80apsF1rtxen9o1_r1_400.gif

Really well-written, quality review. The Guardian isn't even a gaming site and they put up reviews that are as good as any out there. Kinda sad.

This review is painful to read. I am astounded that someone was paid to write this.
Geez...it's weird how 180 your post is, that's what makes forum discussion fun I guess.

L Thammy

Augh, review copies are in the wild? I guess that means I should start keeping away from W101 threads soon.

With regards to sales talk: I hardly think it's bad, but there's a time and a place for it. I think most of the people who are interested in a game review want to know if the game is good or not; whether it will sell is not relevant at the moment. It's not a horrible mistake to bring sales talk into such a topic though.

I don't think it'll be a mega bomb, I wouldn't be surprised if it approached 100k first month NPD. More likely around 70-80k but 100k+ isn't some crazy scenario. They'd probably be happy with that.

Sweeeeeet

I remember you being pretty stubborn about not buying if there was no demo so this is a big victory for 101Gaf

In fairness, nothing in the media actually sold me. Ive just been playing Darksiders 2 alot on my Wii U and ive decided that I should give at least one specific gamepad game a try.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While I'm not saying this as a mod, if you want to discuss the disparity you feel will exist between a game's reviews and its sales, it might make more sense to make a separate topic specifically about that instead of using the review thread.

If you put it in the review thread, there will be a lot of debate about whether this is the right place for it.

If you make it its own thread, the entire discussion will be about the actual question you're asking.

L Thammy

Can someone sell me on this game in video form? I keep hearing about it and have seen it but every time I look at it, there's just a lot of stuff going on that I don't understand.

If you want understand what's going on, read the blogs.
If you want a video, here.

I don't think it'll be a mega bomb, I wouldn't be surprised if it approached 100k first month NPD. More likely around 70-80k but 100k+ isn't some crazy scenario. They'd probably be happy with that.

Wasn't it recently said that this was Platinum's biggest game in terms of development time and size?

Gbraga

She already made an awful Bayonetta video; it was so bad and hated she deleted it off her account. You can find it if you search, tho.

Holy shit this video is awful, and I liked her first Tropes vs Women video (the second was full of spoilers so I'm not even watching the rest)

The only good thing about the game is that she's a single mother (huh). It's like "have you seen Titanfall?", if you see a female character you just need to know "but is she a single mother?"

Game looks and sounds fantastic. This is the first time I've felt "god damn I want it!" for anything on Wii U. More please!

gogogow

Holy shit this video is awful, and I liked her first Tropes vs Women video (the second was full of spoilers so I'm not even watching the rest)

The only good thing about the game is that she's a single mother (huh). It's like "have you seen Titanfall?", if you see a female character you just need to know "but is she a single mother?"

Wait. Did she say that in the video?

aceldama

Banned
I've read the review, I've seen the footage for months and I just don't get the fascination with this project. I don't say it just to sound contrary to everyone else, but it just looks like utter shit. I don't get it.

In all sincerity, what is a single redeeming quality people are seeing in this game?

gogogow

If I heard correctly, yep.

Lol, so she didn't play the game. Bayonetta doesn't have a child, let alone being a "single mother". So she spend a ton of money to buy games and end up not playing it, uses other people's content to create her own video's. I still don't understand why she needs kickstarter to make these videos. What's so expensive about it?

Damn, I even tweeted to Kamiya about this.

That's just how he designs action games. Easy and Normal only, then after that you unlock Hard which is balanced you carrying over all your Normal mode moves and shit, then you unlock Ultra V-Rated/Dante Must Die/Nonstop Climax.

That's how it was in Devil May Cry 1, Viewtiful Joe, and Bayonetta. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I've read the review, I've seen the footage for months and I just don't get the fascination with this project. I don't say it just to sound contrary to everyone else, but it just looks like utter shit. I don't get it.

In all sincerity, what is a single redeeming quality people are seeing in this game?

What about it looks like shit to you? I ask sincerely.

Top Bottom