• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Raw64life

A year ago I was headed to Japan for the first time. Ugh, gotta go back :(

Went last June. I know that feel.

My plan is to go back in 2020 when the Nintendo Universal park opens, but I'm still lurking this thread constantly. I already basically have my next trip planned out even though it's 3 years from now.

It's the only time I ever left my country and I wanna do Europe next, but I definitely have the urge to say fuck it and just go to Japan again a lot earlier than I was planning.

A year ago I was headed to Japan for the first time. Ugh, gotta go back :(

That's how it starts. You end up going slightly more quickly each time until you're there 6 times a year.

Went last June. I know that feel.

My plan is to go back in 2020 when the Nintendo Universal park opens, but I'm still lurking this thread constantly. I already basically have my next trip planned out even though it's 3 years from now.

It's the only time I ever left my country and I wanna do Europe next, but I definitely have the urge to say fuck it and just go to Japan again a lot earlier than I was planning.

I keep telling myself I should go somewhere else but Europe is overrated and a mess and the rest of Asia is that much longer of a plane ride so why bother. I'm resigned to the idea of Japan being the only place I go.

Going to visit Japan with my family for 2 weeks in May :D

The plan so far:

5 days in Osaka/Kobe
2 days in Kyoto
2 days in Hakone
3 days in Tokyo and nearby area

I think I'll arrive just in time for the Persona 5 collab cafe in Ikebukuro. I know these places are usually a rip-off, but I'm weak to this kind of marketing.

peru_drink.jpg

A little ironic that the Morgana themed drink is a coffee, considering he's so insistent on getting you to bed.

Alright, need some idea on the most efficient way of going about this.

1. I arrive in Narita on Sept 6th.
2. I need/want to be in Hiroshima by early afternoon on Sept 7th. (Hiroshima Carp game at 6pm, only game at Mazda Zoom Zoom Stadium I could make)
3. I will then go to Sapporo at some point, and will see the Nippon Ham Fighters at the Sapporo Dome on Sept 12th.
4. On Sept 13th I need to be back in Tokyo, specifically Narita, to meet up with a friend who is arriving.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what to do for steps 1-2. Whether I should just stay overnight near Narita and fly to Hiroshima the next morning, or whether to go into Tokyo and take the Shinkansen instead.

KillGore

Alright, need some idea on the most efficient way of going about this.

1. I arrive in Narita on Sept 6th.
2. I need/want to be in Hiroshima by early afternoon on Sept 7th. (Hiroshima Carp game at 6pm, only game at Mazda Zoom Zoom Stadium I could make)
3. I will then go to Sapporo at some point, and will see the Nippon Ham Fighters at the Sapporo Dome on Sept 12th.
4. On Sept 13th I need to be back in Tokyo, specifically Narita, to meet up with a friend who is arriving.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what to do for steps 1-2. Whether I should just stay overnight near Narita and fly to Hiroshima the next morning, or whether to go into Tokyo and take the Shinkansen instead.

I believe the Shinkansen would be a more expensive option. Plane tickets are pretty cheap in Japan, so I would say take the plane, but maybe someone with more knowledge, like Mike, can chime in.

cj_iwakura

I was almost considering going back this year, but I feel like I should visit Europe for once... But there's so much in Japan I didn't see. Then again, I don't have much budget.

I believe the Shinkansen would be a more expensive option. Plane tickets are pretty cheap in Japan, so I would say take the plane, but maybe someone with more knowledge, like Mike, can chime in.

Yeah, unless you got a JR Pass to cover the trip from before, taking a plane will be cheaper and going all the way to Hiroshima should be just as fast (even including the time spent waiting around in the airport).

Of course, if you're able to sleep on a bus, one could try taking an overnight bus.

Listen to your inner train otaku and take the goddamn Shinkansen!

Well, I've been to Hiroshima before via Shinkansen, but it was only for a a day and ended up getting distracted by a food festival outside of Hiroshima Castle. I'll probably lean towards Shinkansen again because in between Hiroshima and Sapporo I can go to Nagoya and see a Chunichi Dragons game. Just gonna be a hastle figuring out hotel arrangements.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Due to the schedules of my friends, I'm going on my 2nd Japan trip in August instead of October like the 1st.

My pale Irish body is going to melt, isn't it?

Due to the schedules of my friends, I'm going on my 2nd Japan trip in August instead of October like the 1st.

My pale Irish body is going to melt, isn't it?

It gets very humid but I guess it depends on your tolerance and also what you'll be doing. Similar to Florida, if you're in and out it's not too bad. If you're like, going on a hike or something I can imagine it's a nightmare. I walked from the ferry to our hotel on Miyajima Island (About a 15 min walk) with a rucksack and it was pretty tiring. But just take your time, don't be in a rush, and you'll be fine. Also, vending machines are your friend and are literally everywhere. No excuse to be dehydrated in Japan :)

entremet

Just got here. Loving it. In Tokyo.

Quick observations.

Ramen is everywhere and cheap!
It's very clean.
Locals are very polite. I've been all over Europe for reference, but Japanese are exceedingly polite.
Too many cyclists on the sidewalk. Annoying me lol.

Repgnar

So my wife and I found out we're going to have about a 2 month window this fall to do our super late honeymoon. While we initially were thinking between Paris, Tokyo, and an Alaskan cruise we're currently leaning pretty heavily towards Tokyo. I went back in 2011 or sometime around then but didn't have much money or the ability to do my own thing at the time so looking forward to going back again.

I think we'll be staying around 10 days and for the majority of which in Tokyo. Still early in the planning process but have until September/October. I'll probably be asking more questions as I do more research and get closer but what are your guys' opinions on 'businessmen' hotels? Wife isn't a fan of the shared bathrooms/dorm style hostels/Ryokan's so trying to find a balance between price and privacy.

Looks like I'm going to Japan with just one of my mates, the other two bailed. 2 weeks from today, pretty excited still. Desperately need to lock in accomodation though, hopefully it'll all be done tomorrow.

Was thinking about renting a motorbike over there, maybe in Osaka or Kyoto. Anyone have experience riding the roads around those cities? Any good routes and locations for a day ride?

I'll probably be asking more questions as I do more research and get closer but what are your guys' opinions on 'businessmen' hotels? Wife isn't a fan of the shared bathrooms/dorm style hostels/Ryokan's so trying to find a balance between price and privacy.

Good as long as you don't mind smoke odor.

Could always look into AirBnB as well.

Repgnar

Good as long as you don't mind smoke odor.

Could always look into AirBnB as well.

Is the smoke odor really there? The one i'm looking at is the Hotel Hokke Club Asakusa currently. The Travelocity-like websites are actually giving pretty competitive prices for plane tickets and hotels compared to just buying them indivdually from the airline and hotel so we may look around for something a little nicer. May look into AirBnB as well.

Is the smoke odor really there? The one i'm looking at is the Hotel Hokke Club Asakusa currently.

You should be prepared for it to be there at least, even in rooms that are advertised as non-smoking.

Edit: This Hotel Hokke seems newer so there might not be any smoke odor.

So I'm booked some stuff on booking.com to outline the travel.

Tokio (Ikebukuro)

Osaka (Namba)

Not sure if I should celebrate New Year's eve in Tokio or Osaka. Last year I went to the Meiji shrine and then Shibuya and it was pretty amazing but so many Japanese people said that Osaka is even better in that regard.

Also a little sucky that a lot of stuff is closed early January so doing daytrips to Kyoto, Hiroshima and maybe Kure, and Nara can get a little complicated.

TokiDoki

Can vouch for this , I just took Vanilla Air from Osaka to Tokyo a few days ago , and it's only around 6660yen total /without luggage . I checked in 30 minutes before the flight , and the flight itself took about a little bit more than one hour . Its about the same time as Shinkansen in total but way more cheaper I guess . 10/10 will take domestic flight again .

Demy

Can vouch for this , I just took Vanilla Air from Osaka to Tokyo a few days ago , and it's only around 6660yen total /without luggage . I checked in 30 minutes before the flight , and the flight itself took about a little bit more than one hour . Its about the same time as Shinkansen in total but way more cheaper I guess . 10/10 will take domestic flight again .

Wow that's a big break.
If I'm reading the site correctly, looks like the JR Pass for a week is $260 which is great but I'm only planning to leave from Tokyo to Osaka and back. Round trip flight to Osaka with premium seats for 3 days is only $120. Thanks for the tip!

exhume

So it's only been 6 months since I got back from Japan and I'm already mentally planning my next trip...I think I want try and go for cherry blossoms in 2018! It's gonna take me the entire year between now and then to save up, so I have to start thinking about it soon to motivate myself to put the money away. :D

Since I did Tokyo/Takayama/Kanazawa/Kyoto/Koyasan/Osaka last time, I think I want to try and see some different places next time. Maybe spend a week in Tokyo and a week either north (Tohoku and/or Hokkaido) or south (Shikoku/Kyushu) - which would you guys recommend and what are some highlights that I shouldn't miss?

Also, mates...everyone who's enjoyed Osaka, can you please tell me what's good there, I felt somewhat underwhelmed by it but I want to give it a second chance because so many people tell me it's awesome, even better than Tokyo. (please keep in mind I have no interest in food or drink [unfortunately restrictive diet] or nightlife, haha)

Ah, bummer. The main building in Kiyomizudera currently has scaffoldings and all kinds of unsightly apparatus covering it up. And I was getting all hyped up to see it for real.

Since I did Tokyo/Takayama/Kanazawa/Kyoto/Koyasan/Osaka last time, I think I want to try and see some different places next time. Maybe spend a week in Tokyo and a week either north (Tohoku and/or Hokkaido) or south (Shikoku/Kyushu) - which would you guys recommend and what are some highlights that I shouldn't miss?

Go to Hokkaido. Check out Sapporo, the canals and glass works in Otaru, the hell valley and hot springs of Noboribetsu, the fort and view from Mt. Hakodate in Hakodate. And if you're traveling there with the Shinkansen make a stop in Aomori as well and check out the Nebuta festival museum and the Furukawa Fish Market.

Makes me wonder if I should also go to Nara but with Kyoto, Hiroshima/Kure and also Osaka the second week is already quite busy - especially with the hotel in Namba and all the nightlife antics

Is the smoke odor really there? The one i'm looking at is the Hotel Hokke Club Asakusa currently. The Travelocity-like websites are actually giving pretty competitive prices for plane tickets and hotels compared to just buying them indivdually from the airline and hotel so we may look around for something a little nicer. May look into AirBnB as well.

For what it's worth, MyStays Kameido is mostly a business hotel and there was no smoke odor in the single rooms we had. I'd probably stay there again, it was decent enough.

Zatoth

When do they usually announce how long the trails on Mt. Fuji are open?

Thinking of going there is year during the first 3 weeks of September. Early September should be fine, right?

Also, any recommendations where you can rent backpacks for it? Thinking the one I will taking to Japan will be to small and don't want to bring a big one just for 2 days of Fuji.

When do they usually announce how long the trails on Mt. Fuji are open?

Thinking of going there is year during the first 3 weeks of September. Early September should be fine, right?

They announced some dates in mid-June last year, but they might change throughout the season based on weather and trail conditions.

Should try to do it the first week to be safe.

Mendrox

Sitting in the airplane to Dubai and then immediately to Tokyo. Ninja Sim will save my life over there. Got a cool Hotel for the first few days :) quiet nervous! I also got the JR Pass. I will Land in Narita and then drive to Tokyo by using the Express train with my pass. I have to get to Sengakuji Station which should be easy from Tokyo right? Just have to buy the Pasmo card and then use the normal trains in the City to the Station I guess... Should work out :))

Zatoth

They announced some dates in mid-June last year, but they might change throughout the season based on weather and trail conditions.

Should try to do it the first week to be safe.

First week was the plan. Just want to avoid entering Japan in the August heat. September will probably still be bad enough.

Top Bottom