• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/QNtIqO2.jpg[/IMG]

gerrard-fa-cup-goal.gif

<3

Next season is gonna be so fucking good. All the money being thrown around is gonna mean a lotta teams and players are gonna have things to prove. Will they Moyes it up? Will everyone pretend to hate Liverpool but secretly love our beautiful football? Who knows!

Mane and Salah stay the fuck alive this season so help me god

No I know all this, but Solanke told his mates he was joining Liverpool BEFORE the date where upcoming free agents can be spoken to - which is why the expected tribunal fee is going to be higher than normal

But I don't see how that can be Liverpool's fault. It could be him telling his mates that he wants to go to Liverpool if they come knocking.

CrayToes

Can't wait for Barcelona to realise Coutinho is actually fairly mediocre throughout most games. I'll happily take 90m for him now that we have Salah.

King_Moc

Banned
Can't wait for Barcelona to realise Coutinho is actually fairly mediocre throughout most games. I'll happily take 90m for him now that we have Salah.

He's inconsistent, but he's one of few LFC players that can get a goal out of nothing. With the money they'll get for Neymar, 90m should be the minimum Liverpool should ask for. I like him though anyway, I'd rather keep him.

Syder

If they get the Neymar money, they're better off investing in all the best players under the age of 23.

Buy whatever's left of Monaco's squad.

longdi

Banned
I thought release clauses are a joke, like lets just put a number, cause no one dumb enough will break it.

How many more barrels of oil do they need to start digging for? I sure as hell not buying PSG merchandise or watch their games. Prepare also to see articles of how many poor economies the Neymar money could have helped.

casiopao

Juventus is linked with Keita Balde and Milinkovic-Savic.

Hope that after Bernadeschi is done in Monday, we get focus on getting one of those 2 as they are pure quality player.

DBT85

50m for Matic? Yeah, I'll take it.

I love how the press always say "Jose has bid" or "Klopp has bid". Like they deal with this shit.

TBH I'll take Matic if that's who Mou thinks is what we need. I can only imagine he doesn't want Fabinho and it obviously looks like getting Matic will be easier than getting Dier. £50m is a Kyle Walker and Matic at least has won something and shown he can do it.

With the prices for these players I do wonder if top teams might actually have to start scouting a bit rather than just trying to steal from lesser teams in the same league.

TeddyBoy

But I don't see how that can be Liverpool's fault. It could be him telling his mates that he wants to go to Liverpool if they come knocking.

Your supposed to keep that kind of thing out of the spotlight.

He's inconsistent, but he's one of few LFC players that can get a goal out of nothing. With the money they'll get for Neymar, 90m should be the minimum Liverpool should ask for. I like him though anyway, I'd rather keep him.

Yeah Coutinho is one of our players who'll get a goal out of nothing, he'll be a big miss if he leaves. He isn't Suarez level though and is replaceable.

T-Rex.

Banned
Coutinho was performing at an elite level before his injury last season. You guys are crazy. He was poor for a month or two after his injury, but the entire team was also struggling at that point.

It doesn't matter anyway since we won't sell him. I hope.

How is Man City gonna spend 52 million on Mendy? Boys went out and spent 130 million on wing backs?

Desperately need wing backs and it's a sellers market. Txiki fucked up big time by not addressing the issue sooner which has been a clear problem for a few years.

Main reason they are beating Chelsea to players like Danilo and Mendy is that City need wing backs more and prepared to pay more. If those deals go through City still need one more wing back as Kolarov is moving to Roma.

weekev

Banned
Coutinho was performing at an elite level before his injury last season. You guys are crazy. He was poor for a month or two after his injury, but the entire team was also struggling at that point.

It doesn't matter anyway since we won't sell him. I hope.
As a man united fan I agree. Counting o was easily your best player last season when he wasn't injured and I'd be worried about your top 4 prospects if you sold him. To be fair I would already be worried about your top 4 prospects given your lack of a striker but that's by the by.

Moobabe

He told mates that he WAS JOINING Liverpool, not that he wanted to. It'll all come out in the tribunal, but it meant that Liverpool had secured a deal for the player before they were allowed to discuss a contract with him.

Yeah Coutinho is one of our players who'll get a goal out of nothing, he'll be a big miss if he leaves. He isn't Suarez level though and is replaceable.

Honestly don't think he is. Don't know if anyone is available with his talent and work rate for the press. And his special factor of key passes and nailing the top corner elevates the whole team.

Don't stare at money too long, it's Medusa. I'd be unhappy if he went for less than £120 mil in this market. Hell I'd still be unhappy if he went for that. I don't care about money I care about players!

T-Rex.

Banned
As a man united fan I agree. Counting o was easily your best player last season when he wasn't injured and I'd be worried about your top 4 prospects if you sold him. To be fair I would already be worried about your top 4 prospects given your lack of a striker but that's by the by.
The striker I'm not that worried about. Ideally we should buy one since I'm still unconvinced by Firmino, but I think (hope) the addition of Salah will be enough to make up the goals. If Firmino, Mane, Salah, Coutinho, Lallana etc can chip in with 10+ goals (which isn't too unrealistic) then that should hopefully be enough.

Your supposed to keep that kind of thing out of the spotlight.

Not sure its LFC fault if the player is going around saying he wants to join Liverpool.

You're crazy if you think he is replaceable. He may not be Suarez level but its not just about his goals. It's his movements, his passing and everything else that comes out of a midfielder. Not sure which player you are actually watching.

He told mates that he WAS JOINING Liverpool, not that he wanted to. It'll all come out in the tribunal, but it meant that Liverpool had secured a deal for the player before they were allowed to discuss a contract with him.

That's not what I'm reading. He said he wanted to Join Liverpool.

The striker I'm not that worried about. Ideally we should buy one since I'm still unconvinced by Firmino, but I think (hope) the addition of Salah will be enough to make up the goals. If Firmino, Mane, Salah, Coutinho, Lallana etc can chip in with 10+ goals (which isn't too unrealistic) then that should hopefully be enough.

You're forgetting this season is going to be the rebirth of THE STUDGE.

CrayToes

Mane was easily our best/most important player last season.

sammex

Pretty sure Klopp could convince Coutinho to stay at least another year. He's childhood friends with Neymar, who wouldn't be there any longer, he's on the top salary at the club already and is the star of the team, we just made CL and are investing in the side, and it's a world cup year. He'll probably end up at Barca eventually, but I doubt it'll be this summer unless they come at us with like £140mill, he's given no indication he's unhappy or wants to move.

CrayToes

Pretty sure Klopp could convince Coutinho to stay at least another year. He's childhood friends with Neymar, who wouldn't be there any longer, he's on the top salary at the club already and is the star of the team, we just made CL and are investing in the side, and it's a world cup year. He'll probably end up at Barca eventually, but I doubt it'll be this summer unless they come at us with like £140mill, he's given no indication he's unhappy or wants to move.

Klopp isn't the type of manager that holds on to players who's hearts aren't in it and with Neymar potentially leaving, Phil may never have a better shot at the Barca 1st team. Hopefully all this talk of £80m transfers doesn't sway him though and like I said, I fear he'd be exposed in that Barcelona side next to the best attacking players on the planet.

On the other hand Neymar leaving indicates he is likely to get regular play time. If he stayed Coutinho would be backup to Messi, Suarez and Neymar (unless they intend him to play a deeper role), if Neymar goes to PSG there will be space in the side for Coutinho to show what he is a capable of when he has some of the best talent around him. I'd be interested to watch how Barca's set up would change, which has felt stale for a while.

You're forgetting this season is going to be the rebirth of THE STUDGE.

He will pick up an injury in training the day before the season starts.

sammex

Klopp isn't the type of manager that holds on to players who's hearts aren't in it and with Neymar potentially leaving, Phil may never have a better shot at the Barca 1st team. Hopefully all this talk of £80m transfers doesn't sway him though and like I said, I fear he'd be exposed in that Barcelona side next to the best attacking players on the planet.

It doesn't sound like Klopp is ready to let him go. He is our best player but he isn't an irreplaceable talent like Suarez was (arguably top 5 best players in the world). Mané had a better season than him last year and he was a new buy - if we had to sell and buy a new player or two there's no reason why they couldn't be as influential. I'd prefer he stayed but not going to be that upset if we have to sell him and get some replacements in.

Jurgen Klopp has been reassured by Liverpool's owners that no bids for Philippe Coutinho will be considered this summer.

The Reds boss had a meeting with the Brazil international at the team's Ritz-Carlton base in Hong Kong on Friday night.

Klopp spoke to Coutinho about the offer of £72million which the club rejected from Barcelona and told him that he would be staying put.

Liverpool are braced for Barca to return with a higher offer but owners Fenway Sports Group are adamant that Coutinho, who only signed a new five-year contract in January, will be retained.

"Everything I say comes back from the owners," Klopp told the ECHO.

"Yes, I would say (he doesn't have a price). It's very clear. He's not for sale. What else can I say?"

Barcelona are in danger of losing a star man themselves with Paris Saint-Germain working on a potential world record 222million Euros (£199million) deal to trigger Neymar's release clause.

"There are so many rumours around. Only one of them is the Coutinho rumour," Klopp added.

"If Neymar is not a rumour then pffff it's more than the next level, it's really not from this planet anymore.

"Really? 222million Euros? I can't believe that something like this would happen. But if it does happen then it changes everything actually."
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...outinho-barcelona-liverpool-transfer-13369673

I agree Mane probably was our most important player last season, but Phil was right behind him. While I think Coutinho is a bit overrated(still a very good player), selling him would send out totally the wrong message, when IMO we're on the verge of big and great things... Yeah I know this will come of as a bit hypocritical when Liverpool fans are yelling at Southampton and Leizpig to sell the players we want from them and all that.

I also feel we should be able to strengthen in areas that are weak without having to sell Coutinho, we clearly got money to spend this summer and we need to keep Coutinho, whilst adding (hopefully) the likes of Keita, Van Dijk and maybe one more. Too often we've lost important players like Owen, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Suarez and even Sterling which have sent us back in our progress... Can't keep letting that happen.

He will pick up an injury in training the day before the season starts.

World Cup year. This will sound like I'm dissing Sturridge, that he cares more about England than Liverpool etc etc. But it seems to be in the campaigns before World Cup 2014 and Euro 2016 he seemed more willing to play through the pain barrier, hopefully it will be the same this time.

That's a whole lot of money on a position that traditionally doesn't win you many games. I like to think Pep is some sort of crazy genius and he's going to win everything playing 10 fullbacks and a keeper.

10? City now have two fullbacks. Zaballeta, Sagna and Clichy were all let go at the end of the season with Kolarov leaving soon, all of which were past their sell by date in Pellegrini's second year. The youth players that would be able to play but not really good enough yet, Maffeo and Angelino are both out on loan at Gerona and NAC Breda respectively.

CrayToes

Coutinho starting our asia trophy final bollocks.

I think this is pretty close to our full strength side, with Clyne in for TAA/Henderson for Lallana. .

Lallana starts over Gini surely? Adam was fantastic last season. One of the first names on the sheet for me.

spidye

0:4 gainst milan with pretty much our best squad

This season will be so much fun

I guess ancelotti will get the boot in february

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I love our new third kit so much (Arsenal)

Bought that, don't think I'll get our home or away though

Top Bottom