• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Nationality or Country would you want to see in a new Street Fighter Character?

I can't believe the series has gone on for 30 years and there is not one Australian or New Zealand character. Only one from the whole African continent too. Those have to be the biggest omissions for me. US and Japan are so over-represented but that's a problem with fighters in general.

On the other hand waiting 30 years for a Canadian character only to get Abigail makes me wish they never bothered.

African is a tough one to get right. It would be easy to imagine a really horrible racist caricature being created. Last time Capcom dealt with African setting was resident evil 5, and that went pretty poorly.

Actually they could just add Sheva from re5 because she was a pretty awesome character.

Why don't people want a stereotype for another Canadian character. Imagine a hockey player who pokes with his stick, has puck projectiles, a skating command dash and apologizes for winning
Because it feels like the only representation Canada gets in the media is stereotypes, and it's usually from American TV shows.

Even when a Humble Bundle came out featuring Vancouver developers, it was referred to as "syrupy" on the official site. Maple syrup has as much to do with Vancouver as it does with Honolulu but whoever wrote that just lumps everything under one Canadian stereotype.

It would be cool if a Canadian character was non-white as well since the most of the world thinks the whole country is white.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
For someone who asked for French Savate

rpTQLgf.jpg

Elizabeth

A French Savate fighter that wears armor to protect against attacks.
We were thinking she'd be an old arts dealer with money to spend.
But you know what? In the Street Fighter world there are way too many rich people!
But I really like the idea and concept.

Their reason for this character getting cut is too many rich people. Man, I would love to get that character design in the game (left one).

Well I don't want to go too out of my league here but bring Brazilian doesn't mean he can't be black since it does have a substantial black population. I do know he is part Japanese on one side.

There aren't black people in Brazil?

They're afro-latinos. You're picking hairs.

Brazilians are black. Trust me, I got into an extended discussion over this regarding Eddy and turned out being wrong.
All right, you guys win.
Their reason for this character getting cut is too many rich people.
If only they felt the same way about blondes.

Zubz

Banned
She was considered for SFV but they felt that her gameplay is weak so they cut her.

xakrDpm.jpg

I came here to post her. So sad they didn't go with her or the dude whose body was so calloused it was basically an exoskeleton. I want them to revisit these ideas, along with King Cobra and The Baz.

If we're not going with bringing any of those 4 back or adding in Mika's coach (Who is also a good pick), I definitely think we need either an Australian character, or another African character. Or a non-Brazilian South American. I forget what the martial art was called, but the one Doomfist from Overwatch was based off of sounds cool. Maybe we could have a fighter use that?

Sesha

My favorite newcomer from SFIV series. I don't get it why people still hating on that character? He's pretty unique and interesting character.

He's goofy, and not a handsome cool guy, a badass manly man like Guile or Sagat, a cool old guy, an edgelord, or a cute girl or hot lady.

Characters like him, FANG, Rufus and Abigail will always get a lot of hate.

shaowebb

Mongolian. I really want a mongolian wrestler representative someday. Its said that the footholds that Sumo was based upon can find its roots with them.
Lookup Tuvinian or Mongolian wrestling sometime. Very similar to sumo but it has some almost jiu jitsu or judo like throws as well. Very power oriented.
3oBAQcE.jpg

BlizzKrut

Banned
I came here to post her. So sad they didn't go with her or the dude whose body was so calloused it was basically an exoskeleton. I want them to revisit these ideas, along with King Cobra and The Baz.

If we're not going with bringing any of those 4 back or adding in Mika's coach (Who is also a good pick), I definitely think we need either an Australian character, or another African character. Or a non-Brazilian South American. I forget what the martial art was called, but the one Doomfist from Overwatch was based off of sounds cool. Maybe we could have a fighter use that?

Dambe

25511-49ecf4-cc-4-800x505.jpg

Banned
I'm Portuguese-Canadian. So I'd like to see another Canadian and at least one Portuguese character.

Vietnam. The last time I saw a Vietnamese fighter was in Fighter Within for the XB1 Kinect and that's just insulting.

Sure Luong COULD be Vietnamese but they never hint it beyond her wearing a dress.

18-Volt

How about a Persian fighter? Not "Middle eastern" Persian, but real "Persian" Persian. like, with Zoroastrianism and shit. Braided hair, braided beard, green eyes, ability to shoot flames (Zoroastrian, after all). Kinda pacifist like Dhalsim too.

Ireland - female drunken boxer
Norway - pirate who uses glima (Viking wrestling)
Nigeria - Dambe boxing/grappling monarch (like Black Panther/Doomfist)
Philippines - female Eskrima stick fighter
Indonesia - pencak silat assassin
Australia - animal lover whose fighting style is based on studying animals (kangaroo kick, crocodile roll, etc.)
New Zealand - Maori rugby player

I’d like an Israeli Krav Maga fighter as well, but that would be way too politically charged for Street Fighter. Capcom won’t even mention the country that Rashid is from.

I love all these ideas <3

I want a Black American woman with a few pounds on her. She will have superhuman strength, sporting body slams, hard slaps, and grapples, and talk all sorts of smack to you. A straight-up sassy street thug. I'm serious.

Either that or the original concept of Rufus, AKA King Cobra. I really want to see a fat Black woman in a popular fighting game, though.

I was thinking how great a character like this would be in the next KoF game. Was thinking this could be someone like Vanessa's mentor/training partner.

J-Tier

Here are some other fighting styles I'd like to see:

Drunken Fist (China)
Shaolin Kung Fu (China)
Bartitsu (England)
Kalaripayattu (India)
Pencak Silat (Indonesia)

Javier

We need a South American that isn't Brazilian.

Being Chilean I'd like a Chilean fighter, but I'm not sure what kind of fighter they would be. Boxing seems to be the most popular fighting sport in Chile but there are too many boxers in the series already.

Ugh.

At least he's not some racist Inuit or First Nations stereotype.

Nor is he a dumb lumberjack with a French accent, or a hockey player or something. He's just a really big dude who runs an auto shop and has a thing for tires.

Like, nothing especially Canadian about him minus the hair but I don't understand why that's a problem. It's not like Ken or Balrog really scream "American", they don't all have to be stereotypes.

kikiribu

Nor is he a dumb lumberjack with a French accent, or a hockey player or something. He's just a really big dude who runs an auto shop and has a thing for tires.
He's also one of the most unique characters I've ever used in a game. Every single thing about this character oozes personality. His alt costumes are also some of the best in the game.

Zee-Row

Banned
AGREED.

As an American man of Dominican (Republic) origin, I'd like to see a representative that's better than this asshole, which is (to my knowledge) the only example of a major publisher like Capcom having a Dominican character in their game:

latest

(That is, until that dude from the GTA IV side game came along)

At this point, it doesn't matter, anywhere from the big or small Antilles will do.

I always thought Damnd was Jamaican for some reason.

Latin America, Africa or the Middle East. Tired of American or Japanese characters, want more variety (stop it with the blondes). If they have beards + +

SNK staying superior with Maxima. :3

Maxima-XIII.jpg

Would be fun to compare the two series' reps.

Honestly I like Abagail more than Maxima. He's more fun and visually interesting. But that's more indicative of SF vs. KOF's visual style in general, Abby wouldn't work in KoF and Maxima doesn't really fly for SF.

As a Brazilian i want more Latin Americans that aren't Brazilians or Mexicans.

I felt very bad for my fellow south americans that the new Team South America in King of Fighters is made of two brazilians and one colombian braziboo.

Should've just named it Team Brazil.

You could make an Gaucho from Argentina, or some colombian that uses a machete.

JusDoIt

He used to be a thug in Alpha and in SF1. He's "reformed" but he's still not exactly a good character. Still an improvement from thug though.

Sean's brazillian, and Laura's brother. He's brown.

If Maple Syrup isn't involved in his CA somehow, then the character was not worth including.

Sean's black (as is Laura). There are more black people in Brazil than the US. There are more black people in Brazil than any country not in Africa.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Mongolian. I really want a mongolian wrestler representative someday. Its said that the footholds that Sumo was based upon can find its roots with them.
Lookup Tuvinian or Mongolian wrestling sometime. Very similar to sumo but it has some almost jiu jitsu or judo like throws as well. Very power oriented.
3oBAQcE.jpg

oh my word. im in love.

I'd like a hot Swedish girl, who looks and dresses very similar to Mika.
An Aussie character could be ok. As long as Capcom could do better than Junkrat.

yurinka

• Aboriginial warrior from Australia
  • Antartica's nazi UFO pilot
  • Mongolian wrestler
  • Someone else from Africa. Maybe Die Antwoord's Ninja from South Africa
  • Someone from Palestine who is tired of being treated like a dog
  • I always wanted to see Damnd from Final Fight in Street Fighter. If he's Dominican as mentioned it would be perfect, because from Latin America they always include Brazilian or Mexican fighters and would be cool to see more South American countries to be represented in Street Fighter.
  • I like the idea of a hot Swedish girl, but please make sure she has shorter hair because Cammy and Kolin already look too similar.

For someone who asked for French Savate

rpTQLgf.jpg

Their reason for this character getting cut is too many rich people. Man, I would love to get that character design in the game (left one).
Looks like an ugly Perfect Dark rip-off. Nice to see she was canned.

Top Bottom