• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Lynx_7
Member
(06-17-2017, 02:26 AM)
Lynx_7's Avatar
People's gripes with 4 are absolutely justified, but I also feel like you have to meet the game somewhere in the middle. Like, the way Rutger described his playstyle of leaving characters behind for pairing purposes and Sigurding the whole map sounds absolutely boring to me. It's the game's fault for allowing such a playstyle to be even viable in the first place, but you can also do the same thing on Awakening, or Path of Radiance, or Sacred Stones, or Birthright/Revelations, so it's something the franchise in general struggles with. I usually play trying to use every single unit to the best of their abilities and while I know that's not the most optimal way of doing things, it makes the whole experience a lot more fun.

It's why I like 4's gigantic maps as I try to maximize my troops' usability in order to save every single village and I enjoy the dynamic it brings when it forces you into some "setpieces" where you have to deal with multiple situations at the same time. I think the best map in this regard is the beginning of chapter 8 if you're trying to defend Leonster. The enemy just keeps sending different enemy formations and bosses your way while you deal with the armors down in the forest and it was legitimately fun doing that section without losing anyone and keeping track of both sides of the battle. There's a lot of downtime and the mission structure is not as tightly woven as some of the more intricately designed, self-contained skirmishes from most other entries, which is why I understand their divisiviness, but I legitimately enjoyed them for what they are and there's quite a few sections which I consider pretty good on their own rights. If there's one thing I would change in the remake is making even better use of the "multiple objectives at the same time" approach to keep players on their toes and force them to not rely so much on a single/few units but rather spread the army to make for a more dynamic experience that takes full advantage of the map's sizes. Also, just better enemy units in general. And a more elegant solution to "you're not supposed to go to this part of the map yet".
Last edited by Lynx_7; 06-17-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Rutger
Member
(06-17-2017, 03:11 AM)
Rutger's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lynx_7

People's gripes with 4 are absolutely justified, but I also feel like you have to meet the game somewhere in the middle. Like, the way Rutger described his playstyle of leaving characters behind for pairing purposes and Sigurding the whole map sounds absolutely boring to me. It's the game's fault for allowing such a playstyle to be even viable in the first place, but you can also do the same thing on Awakening, or Path of Radiance, or Sacred Stones, or Birthright/Revelations, so it's something the franchise in general struggles with. I usually play trying to use every single unit to the best of their abilities and while I know that's not the most optimal way of doing things, it makes the whole experience a lot more fun.

It's why I like 4's gigantic maps as I try to maximize my troops' usability in order to save every single village and I enjoy the dynamic it brings when it forces you into some "setpieces" where you have to deal with multiple situations at the same time. I think the best map in this regard is the beginning of chapter 8 if you're trying to defend Leonster. The enemy just keeps sending different enemy formations and bosses your way while you deal with the armors down in the forest and it was legitimately fun doing that section without losing anyone and keeping track of both sides of the battle. There's a lot of downtime and the mission structure is not as tightly woven as some of the more intricately designed, self-contained skirmishes from most other entries, which is why I understand their divisiviness, but I legitimately enjoyed them for what they are and there's quite a few sections which I consider pretty good on their own rights. If there's one thing I would change in the remake is making even better use of the "multiple objectives at the same time" approach to keep players on their toes and force them to not rely so much on a single/few units but rather spread the army to make for a more dynamic experience that takes full advantage of the map's sizes. Also, just better enemy units in general. And a more elegant solution to "you're not supposed to go to this part of the map yet".

It's true that my approach is kind or boring(though I don't actually just let Sigurd do everything, the game has Swordmasters, I'm gonna use them, along with a couple other mounted units because it's more fun to have several units doing things). Early on I even tried to use more of my units, but watching everyone that isn't mounted fall behind while I'm moving everyone across the map so they can reach the next fight was taking more time than I felt it was worth.
CazTGG
Member
(06-17-2017, 03:11 AM)
CazTGG's Avatar
I can appreciate what Seisen was going for, but its ambitious ideas are marred by the overall tedium of trudging through the massive maps and monotonous micromanaging of marriages in preparation for the second generation of the story. Using Sigurd so extensively in the first half isn't because of them being an overly powerful unit, at least not just because they are one of the best units in the game, it's because they're a mounted unit that can cover these gargantuan territories who happens to recruit a good amount of the characters, which doesn't encourage one to take their non-mounted units anywhere but a captured fort. It doesn't help that the weapons triangle is hilariously unbalanced in its initial appearance or that the pacing is all over the place, albeit it does improve in the second half. The music is among the best in the series, i'd daresay it's the best overall soundtrack Fire Emblem has ever boasted and a contender for the best soundtrack of all time, and the spritework has some of the best showcases on the Super Famicom with the gorgeous spells but the game they're designed around...it's rough, to say the least. Say what you want about the GBA games simplifying mechanics from the Jugdral games, at least their ideas (mostly) come together.

Also: Including incest/rape as a major plot point is simply indefensible. What the hell, Intelligent Systems?
Lynx_7
Member
(06-17-2017, 03:16 AM)
Lynx_7's Avatar

Originally Posted by CazTGG

Also: Including incest/rape as a major plot point is simply indefensible. What the hell, Intelligent Systems?

This is another thing the fanbase blows way out of proportion. The topic isn't handled with levity nor does the game try to fetishize it in any way like more recent entries have done, so I don't see what's the issue.

Originally Posted by Golnei

...what? That's what you take issue with? It's not like the game uses it for titillation or advocates for it.

Sorry, I'm bad at reading sarcasm.

Was it sarcasm? I couldn't tell. lol
Last edited by Lynx_7; 06-17-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Golnei
Member
(06-17-2017, 03:18 AM)
Golnei's Avatar

Originally Posted by CazTGG

Also: Including incest/rape as a major plot point is simply indefensible. What the hell, Intelligent Systems?

...what? That's what you take issue with? It's not like the game uses it for titillation or advocates for it.

Sorry, I'm bad at reading sarcasm.
Chrom
Junior Member
(06-17-2017, 04:10 PM)
Chrom's Avatar
https://imgur.com/a/9aMeS

I can't believe Sacred Stones is finally joining Cipher
L95
Member
(06-17-2017, 05:41 PM)
L95's Avatar
Yay Myrrh :D
Chrom
Junior Member
(06-18-2017, 05:12 AM)
Chrom's Avatar


Conrad SR looks awesome. He has a unique trait that allows him to be deployed with ease when you're in a pinch!
Chrom
Junior Member
(06-19-2017, 06:19 PM)
Chrom's Avatar


Ranulf

Alm and Celica are getting new promos in the next issues of Nintendo Dream/Dengeki Nintendo!

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ajjj/...=3DS_ajjj#set4

The Ciphers look 👌
Lunar15
Member
(06-19-2017, 06:46 PM)
Lunar15's Avatar
Just started Echoes finally. My impressions are basically the same as everyone else's so far, so I won't go into detail. I just love the production values in this game. I genuinely wish this artist could do the art for FE Switch, even though we all know that won't be happening. Music is fantastic, but that's to be expected from the team that put out Fates' stellar soundtrack.

Also, I feel like the 3D battle animations are finally approaching the flair and style that's been missing since the GBA sprite days. This is something I hope they focus on for FE: Switch.
theprodigy
Member
(06-20-2017, 12:59 AM)
theprodigy's Avatar
In case you didn't see it, May 2017 NPD:

Injustice 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe*
Grand Theft Auto V
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
Prey*
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia*
NBA 2K17
MLB 17: The Show
Overwatch**
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
Horizon Zero Dawn
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Mass Effect Andromeda
Farpoint
Battlefield 1
Nier: Automata
Minecraft
FIFA 17
*No digital sales
*No digital sales from Blizzard’s PC app

Japan was a fluke
Draxal
Member
(06-20-2017, 01:01 AM)
Draxal's Avatar
Its weird how Japan soured so much on Echoes, but is carrying Heroes.
spiritfox
Member
(06-20-2017, 01:11 AM)
spiritfox's Avatar
Cause Heroes is the better Fire Emblem game.
Lord of Ostia
Member
(06-20-2017, 01:15 AM)
Lord of Ostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by spiritfox

Cause Heroes is the better Fire Emblem game.

Not even close
Draxal
Member
(06-20-2017, 01:16 AM)
Draxal's Avatar
Both are pretty annoying tbh, tempest maps vs Celicas maps.
CazTGG
Member
(06-20-2017, 03:46 AM)
CazTGG's Avatar

Originally Posted by spiritfox

Cause Heroes is the better Fire Emblem game.

We don't appreciate lies in these here parts.
spiritfox
Member
(06-20-2017, 05:01 AM)
spiritfox's Avatar

Originally Posted by CazTGG

We don't appreciate lies in these here parts.

Good cause it ain't lies.
PK Gaming
Member
(06-20-2017, 06:52 AM)
PK Gaming's Avatar
The fact that Echoes is being compared to Heroes says it all, really
Erheller
Member
(06-20-2017, 06:57 AM)
I'd play Echoes over Birthright

Then again, I'd play Heroes over Birthright too
BkzUzi
Member
(06-20-2017, 07:14 AM)
BkzUzi's Avatar
Birthright.... One of the most bland and forgettable FE game.
CazTGG
Member
(06-20-2017, 07:18 AM)
CazTGG's Avatar

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

The fact that Echoes is being compared to Heroes says it all, really

Blame Takumi Celica
Last edited by CazTGG; 06-20-2017 at 07:31 AM.
spiritfox
Member
(06-20-2017, 07:19 AM)
spiritfox's Avatar
A pity because I like the Hoshido designs, but Birthright's so boring.
Bonen no Max'd
Member
(06-20-2017, 07:21 AM)
Bonen no Max'd's Avatar
Birthright is really easy but it has way more interesting maps than Echoes dunno what you guys are on
BkzUzi
Member
(06-20-2017, 07:25 AM)
BkzUzi's Avatar
I don't even remember the maps. Only thing I remember was that I was able to breeze through the entire game with Corrin, Takumi, and the red swordmaster.
The story was forgettable, and none of the characters had a personality besides Takumi, it's on the same level as Shadow Dragon character personality wise.

Birthright might have the better maps, but none of them must be great/memorable since I can't remember any lol. I played Conquest before Birthright, but I still remember levels from that game. Echoes is the better game even if it has the worse maps just due to the story and characters, and at least they were more memorable than the Birthright cast.
Last edited by BkzUzi; 06-20-2017 at 07:28 AM.
PK Gaming
Member
(06-20-2017, 07:50 AM)
PK Gaming's Avatar

Originally Posted by BkzUzi

I don't even remember the maps. Only thing I remember was that I was able to breeze through the entire game with Corrin, Takumi, and the red swordmaster.
The story was forgettable, and none of the characters had a personality besides Takumi, it's on the same level as Shadow Dragon character personality wise.

Birthright might have the better maps, but none of them must be great/memorable since I can't remember any lol. I played Conquest before Birthright, but I still remember levels from that game. Echoes is the better game even if it has the worse maps just due to the story and characters, and at least they were more memorable than the Birthright cast.

I believe you.

EDIT:

Echoes is the better game even if it has the worse maps just due to the story and characters, and at least they were more memorable than the Birthright cast.

Worse maps and worse game design, period.
Lynx_7
Member
(06-20-2017, 07:59 AM)
Lynx_7's Avatar
The only thing I remember about my experience with Birthright is solving every problem with "send Ryoma over there" and killing the last boss with Corrin and Ryoma and their waifus/husbandos only. When I saw the number of units in that last map I just immediately noped. Lunatic Birthright was so annoying with its enemy density and reinforcements and I was having none of it at that point.
Chrom
Junior Member
(06-20-2017, 09:55 AM)
Chrom's Avatar


The Alm and Celica promos in question.

It recently occurred to me that we didn't get a new guidebook and accompanying promo last set, and I'm not sure if it's happening this time around...
jzbluz
Member
(06-20-2017, 11:01 AM)
jzbluz's Avatar
Birthright wasn't that bad, and I really liked Orochi and Azama.

Originally Posted by Draxal

Both are pretty annoying tbh, tempest maps vs Celicas maps.

At least Celica's maps end, tempest just goes on and on.
Gradivus
Member
(06-20-2017, 02:31 PM)
Gradivus's Avatar
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=549

A little more to add from the NPD thread.
Last edited by Gradivus; 06-20-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Chrom
Junior Member
(06-21-2017, 10:12 AM)
Chrom's Avatar


Playable Necrodragons! I expected to see Revenants join first, but this is still nice. I really like the art style of this one.

If you wanna see all the cards, you can find them here.

Thread Tools