• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

i-Lo

So what about Aegeis' comments about how awesome the nextbox is and how much better it is at inspiring developer confidence....

Raven77

I buy my game consoles to, you know, PLAY GAMES ON. I could give two flying shists about services.

I have no doubt MS will be pulling out some gimmicky bull-roar to try and get all the soccer moms and elderly people excited to queue up come November...

Currently my T.V. has the following services:

YOUTUBE

NETFLIX

HULU

ALLSHARE

PANDORA

TWITTER

FACEBOOK

APP STORE

FITNESS APP (pretty amazing actually)

WEB BROWSER

KIDS STORY (free childrens video and entertainment app, also pretty awesome)

ESPN

ACCUWEATHER

VIMEO

So my big question is, WTF more can these new systems provide?

This is why I'm convinced it will all be gimmicky crap because they are basically going to have to INVENT new services, etc. to try and convince you it's worth buying.

Back in the day I would have trusted both SONY and MS to come up with some cool stuff. But obviously MS's focus has changed in the past couple years.

StevieP

Banned
Jesus no, please no.

Yes.

Not at anywhere near the level that was shown.

Correct. But smoke and mirrors do and always will come to play with consoles. How's baked lighting sound? :)

Reiko said:

It's not computationally possible.

i-Lo said:
So what about Aegeis' comments about how awesome the nextbox is and how much better it is at inspiring developer confidence....

The MS tools are apparently much better, but that's always been the case (even throughout this generation).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kindly elaborate.

If you paid attention to this generation, Japanese developers didn't really take time to learn the new systems, ie. their games were rarely coded for multiple cores, etc. With PS4 being the complete opposite in terms of architecture compared to the PS3, they should theoretically have an easier time next gen.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Nope, no amount of optimisation will bring you what you saw in those demos. Both Sony and especially MS have said goodbye to high end console gaming that would be on the same level the 360 was in 2005.

and who are you? is this just your speculation?

legitimate sources, the same ones that leaked this stuff, have said it will. unless you have better credentials then them, shut up.

There was one rumor long time ago that both MS and Sony got together and agreed on a plan that will make Wii U undesirable [this was before WiiU was launched, during times when there was rumors about upgrades to WiiU ahitecture]. They formed loose plan on creating very similar consoles that will enable easy life for 3rd party.

I remember reading it and thinking about how focusing ong AMD can create something like this.
Such practices are illegal, they would never get together for coffee and discussing their ogilopolistic tactics. That said, there was probably a bit of nudging from devs and unspoken understanding going on. As for Nintendo, they boxed themselves out of the game. It's not MS or Sonys problem if Nintendo wants to make hardware a generation behind the curve

Eideka

Banned
a barely scientific GPU comparison chart using passmark/TFLOPs/equivalent on current AMD architecture:

ibc51hwjP160ta.png

Comparisons to PC are meaningless. You can do far more in a close box environement than on an open platform.

I'm a little bit disappointed but the visual jump will be there and I suspect will be quite spectacular.

a barely scientific GPU comparison chart using passmark/TFLOPs/equivalent on current AMD architecture:

ibc51hwjP160ta.png

bear in mind that in gaming, it's not so clear cut. a 7850 can go toe to toe with a 570 and a 7950 can punch above a 660ti.

But Durango isn't based on 77xx....

I buy my game consoles to, you know, PLAY GAMES ON. I could give two flying shists about services.

I have no doubt MS will be pulling out some gimmicky bull-roar to try and get all the soccer moms and elderly people excited to queue up come November...

YOUTUBE

NETFLIX

HULU

ALLSHARE

PANDORA

TWITTER

FACEBOOK

APP STORE

WEB BROWSER

ESPN

ACCUWEATHER

VIMEO

This is why I'm convinced it will all be gimmicky crap because they are basically going to have to INVENT new services, etc. to try and convince you it's worth buying.

Back in the day I would have trusted both SONY and MS to come up with some cool stuff. But obviously MS's focus has changed in the past couple years.

You need a console, handheld or a PC to play games you do know that right?

i-Lo

If you paid attention to this generation, Japanese developers didn't really take time to learn the new systems, ie. their games were rarely coded for multiple cores, etc. With PS4 being the complete opposite in terms of architecture compared to the PS3, they should theoretically have an easier time next gen.

True, but what's to prevent them from excelling on XB3 given that its architecture closely follows the PC? And this time, they're both multi core once again.

charsace

Yes.

Correct. But smoke and mirrors do and always will come to play with consoles. How's baked lighting sound? :)

Did you not see UE4? These systems will be able to handle GI. All of these engines aren't being made to do things that they won't be able to implement on the nextgen systems. Why waste all that money on something you won't be able to use? Whatever tech demos we have seen so far are an indicator as to what the next systems will do.

Jadedx

Banned
I think that was before the recent news of Sony upgrading to 4GB DDR5

Well he heard 720 had an edge a year ago, so yeah, but then the stuff from karak and proelite was just last week, and we have heard about the rumors of GDDR5 from may of last year.

I thought he said he hadn't heard much about the PS4, what do these specs change about what devs said to him about Durango?

YOUTUBE

NETFLIX

HULU

ALLSHARE

PANDORA

TWITTER

FACEBOOK

APP STORE

WEB BROWSER

ESPN

ACCUWEATHER

VIMEO

But that's not the norm. I don't think the majority of people out there have smart TVs and all the services like you do.

Putting all this in a single box that also plays the next wave of games, with a much more advanced Kinect could go a long way for entertainment connoisseurs...

Rad-

Gemüsepizza;46703821 said:
Wat. Why? I don't think a publisher cares if they sell 600k on Xbox 3/600k on PS4 or 300k on Xbox 3 and 900k on PS4...

It won't work that way because not everyone will buy both consoles. And people won't go out and buy a game just because it works better for his console than the other. However if it works noticeably worse (see Bayonetta, Skyrim etc.) many will just say fuck it and not buy the game at all.

Just look at what happened during the PS2/GC/Xbox generation.

That's assuming one console will be PS2 style domination. It won't happen ever again.

On a very basic level of improvement, frame rate is bound to go up, and devs won't exactly be 'doing that on purpose' in some sort of mischievous way to devalue. Even a little part of that bolded sentence is false for this generation to be honest. Devs have rushed out PS3 copies of multiplatform titles in a right state, not caring about sales being affected, only to correct later - Skyrim probably the biggest profile title, followed by the likes of Bayonetta. Developers have already done things 'on purpose' to put it frankly.

Framerate would go up yes but I don't think most gamers will even notice if it's 30 solid or 40 solid. I was talking about more major, noticeable difference. Basically like medium settings vs ultra high or something like that to put it simply.

And yes, devs rushed many PS3 games but that's not doing it on purpose. They didn't have a choice. PS3 was a bitch to code for many developers, it required more time. Next gen the dev time will probably be very similar for both consoles.

meta4

ibc51hwjP160ta.png

bear in mind that in gaming, it's not so clear cut. a 7850 can go toe to toe with a 570 and a 7950 can punch above a 660ti.

Hmm. As long as there is a significant visual jump from current gen it is enough for me. I just want it to run 1313 and Watch dogs comfortably with the exact visual quality that was shown in the trailers and I want it at launch. Those visuals are more than enough for me.

Reiko

Banned

Kagari you're basically describing something like Team Ninja when they moved their development from PS2 to Xbox.

No one knows this. How can you say that with such certainty? All we know is that it runs on PC with whatever crazy ass specs they were using.

These are baseline next gen games.

YOUTUBE

NETFLIX

HULU

ALLSHARE

PANDORA

TWITTER

FACEBOOK

APP STORE

WEB BROWSER

ESPN

ACCUWEATHER

VIMEO

These new systems will provide the same services (and more) with better/seamless integration with quicker response than your TV.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm still hearing they are relatively close in power as well so I guess we will see.

assumptions based on previous info on Orbis, perhaps before the ram was bumped? Or due to lack of visibility from developers until recently compared to Durango?

I find it surprising both from the tech spec rumours, but also how people were so strongly pushing that they would be close even though they were also saying people had less view of Orbis

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
True, but what's to prevent them from excelling on XB3 given that its architecture closely follows the PC? And this time, they're both multi core once again.

Do you think MS is going to court Japan again? I don't.

apana

Nope, no amount of optimisation will bring you what you saw in those demos. Both Sony and especially MS have said goodbye to high end console gaming that would be on the same level the 360 was in 2005.

This doesn't sound good. So do you think it will feel like a full generation leap?

Comparisons to PC are meaningless. You can do far more in a close box environement than on an open platform.

I'm a little bit disappointed but the visual jump will be there and I suspect will be quite spectacular.

They better close that box down tightly because that seems like a big difference.

StevieP

Banned
But Durango isn't based on 77xx....

GCN @ 800mhz w/12CU, so slightly better than 7770 (by 2 CUs) but downclocked by 50mhz. Also running on DDR3 (whereas those benches have GDDR5, much faster), however with a 32mb ESRam buffer. So take that as you will.

Did you not see UE4? These systems will be able to handle GI. All of these engines aren't being made to do things that they won't be able to implement on the nextgen systems. Why waste all that money on something you won't be able to use? Whatever tech demos we have seen so far are an indicator as to what the next systems will do.

Well... UE4, unfortunately... How much do you like baked lighting? :p

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

ibc51hwjP160ta.png

Is the PS4 GPU really twice as powerful as the Xbox 720? Really?

Remember last gen, Epic managed to convince MS to change their system so it could properly support UE3 as they were showing it off, they may not have been successful this time around (wasn't the PS3 also meant to have 256mb of RAM that was changed after the 360 had 512mb?).

nasos_333

What makes this different from any PC out there? From the image, I'm seeing exactly a PC

I guess the custom CPU-GPU, the unified RAM, the ESRAM maybe

GCN @ 800mhz w/12CU, so slightly better than 7770 (by 2 CUs) but downclocked by 50mhz. Also running on DDR3 (whereas those benches have GDDR5, much faster), however with a 32mb ESRam buffer. So take that as you will.

Well... UE4, unfortunately... How much do you like baked lighting? :p

But the design of each element could be radically different, which would make any comparisson meaningless

Mario007

assumptions based on previous info on Orbis, perhaps before the ram was bumped? Or due to lack of visibility from developers until recently compared to Durango?

I find it surprising both from the tech spec rumours, but also how people were so strongly pushing that they would be close even though they were also saying people had less view of Orbis
I think Orbis got a spec boots sometime last year and the comments we keep hearing about Durago being better or that they are on par come from that time.
Also I presume that Orbis has mostly been shown to the first parties and a select number of third parties that are making launch games.

Eideka

Banned
Rumors keeping point the same way man. I was expecting more from MS, they better have some amazing shit going on in terms of games and features, or the core gamers will jump ship quick.

I...Can't argue with that. I loved the 360 back in 2005 but this...I'm disappointed.

I just hope Epic's next big IP delivers.

DieH@rd

Banned
Finally a leak straight out of the docs.
Edit: They are not going to end up being completely vanilla Jaguars, btw, folks. Not that it's going to make much of a difference. Still a netbook/tablet CPU at heart.

It will be enough. Im just hoping that both consoles will have enough power for processing advanced particle dynamics.

Top Bottom