• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The perfect game?

Toni

Horizon Zero Dawn is literally the perfect game in my opinion. I dont think anything comes close to it this gen. Its a mesh of all the perfect things that have been done right in open world in one package.

All open world games going forward need to look at Horizon for cues for a great foundation on how to start off in the right foot.

Horizon Zero Dawn is literally the perfect game in my opinion. I dont think anything comes close to it this gen. Its a mesh of all the perfect things that have been done right in open world in one package.

All open world games going forward need to look at Horizon for cues for a great foundation on how to start off in the right foot.

Yeah just copy the Ubisoft formula again.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

FUUUUUUUCK NO!!!

cireza

Banned
A few games I think are the closest to being perfect in their respective genres :

Thor 2 on Saturn (Adventure) :
story_of_thor_2_japon.jpg

Phantasy Star IV on MegaDrive (RPG) :

Shining Force III on Saturn (Tactical RPG) :

KoF 99 Evolution on Dreamcast (2D Fighting) :

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast (Fighting 3D) :

Metroid Fusion on GBA (Action 2D) :

Bayonetta on Xbox 360/One (Action 3D) :

Sengoku Blade on Saturn (Shoot'em up) :

Doom on Xbox One (FPS) :

Steins Gate on Vita (Visual Novel) :

cuate

Banned

Good lord.

AzureFlame

I like Horizen but imo the NPCs and their Side quests story were soo boring.

I'm not even a huge fan of the franchise anymore, but:

A Pokemon-game that looks and plays like Breath of the Wild, has the detailed world of GTA5 and incorporates the Pokemon' abilities like Odyssey.

It'd be too good.

Z..

Na, 6 has poor character development and a worse story and 9 is too simplistic with a gash ending and irritating skill system. I'd rank 8 above them both.

You're an outlier, you do realize that, right.

Poor character development in what way? VII's story being a complete mess isn't helping your claim, btw. I'd argue no Final Fantasy game has an actually good story, not a single one.

So why is FF7 worldwide so big and iconic and not 6 or 9?

I know the answer. Because it's so fantastic.
But maybe you have some excuse why it's the most beloved part of the series.

Because it's the most popular due to it being the first global release and was most people's first. This is very well documented, it's no excuse.

In what twisted logic are popularity and quality even linked, btw?

Fuck THIS noise. Your statements are idiotically hyperbolic.

The game is riddled with flaws. How in the hell is calling it a good game but not perfect hyperbolic in the slightest?

Aztorian

I'm not even a huge fan of the franchise anymore, but:

A Pokemon-game that looks and plays like Breath of the Wild, has the detailed world of GTA5 and incorporates the Pokemon' abilities like Odyssey.

It'd be too good.

How would that play? So basically Pokken Tournament in an Open World where Pokémon look like real animals? How would it work tho? Do you catch new Pokémon or stick to one? How would encounters work?

Pepboy

Whenever someone asks this, the answer that I see that I most agree with is Tetris.

Perfect design, can't think of any ways which it can be improved.

I'd also like to mention Go as a perfect game, but it's not a video game

Second the option of Go/Weiqi/Baduk if boardgames were included.

FF7.

I replay it every year to see if it still holds up, and it really does. It is not without flaws, but the package as a whole is really quite something. It saddens me that we will never see its like again.

FF7 is a solid choice. Wish the remake was just a graphical update plus a new optional character plus a few more lines of dialogue. Instead of whatever aRPG system they want to experiment with.

Dragon Quest V comes close.

royox

For its time? Ocarina of time. You can't find one Single thing of that game that wasn't 10/10

Not In a timeline where Breath of the Wild exists

How would that play? So basically Pokken Tournament in an Open World where Pokémon look like real animals? How would it work tho? Do you catch new Pokémon or stick to one? How would encounters work?

You create your trainer avatar.
You explore an open world.
Wild Pokemon are visible, behaving 'naturally', interacting with their environment.
Wanna fight? Throw a Pokeball at your opponent. Your Pokemon fights by itself, in realtime, while you can shout special commands that your Pokemon will execute based on various factors.
Cities are brimming with life, too, full of npcs.
When exploring the world, you use your Pokemon as makes sense. Want to burn something? Tell your fire Pokemon to use a fire attack. Wanna fly? Get on the back of your Aerodactyl. And so on.

Ugh, thinking about that always leaves me depressed because we'll never get it :(

FF7 is a solid choice. Wish the remake was just a graphical update plus a new optional character plus a few more lines of dialogue. Instead of whatever aRPG system they want to experiment with.

Amen brother...

For me it's

FFVII
Xenogears
FFVIII (purely as the pinnacle gameplay evolution for the franchise)

No game is perfect. It's an unattainable ideal as any game can be improved and all are subject to criticism. Just look at many of the heavy hitters mentioned in this thread:

RE4: could have better camera controls, graphics
Bloodborne: should be 60fps; frame pacing sucks
MGS1: terrible graphics, controls, camera
RDR: shitty fps, performance
SMB3: annoying music

And I love all of those games; each was a GOTG contender. My favorite franchise is GTA, which is the epitome of jack-of-all-trades, master of none game design. And yet its far from perfect games are the closest to perfection gaming has ever gotten for me personally. Go figure.

bobone

Any of the Souls games for me. With Bloodborne being at the top and Demons Souls at the bottom.
Perfect control, enemy design, world design, music, everything.

Burn0ut

Neo Member
MGS terrible graphics what?

It was beautiful when it came out what are you talking about... are you comparing the graphics to newer games? That wouldnt be smart

And bad controls?
Whatever man

MGS terrible graphics what?

It was beautiful when it came out what are you talking about... are you comparing the graphics to newer games? That wouldnt be smart

And bad controls?
Whatever man
Did you miss in my post where I said I love MGS1? Doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the graphics are awful and dated or that the controls are clunky as hell. Still an amazing game for its time but far from perfection.

Burn0ut

Neo Member
Did you miss in my post where I said I love MGS1? Doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the graphics are awful and dated or that the controls are clunky as hell. Still an amazing game for its time but far from perfection.

I always assumed that with these kind of questions games and especially graphics are judged as by their own generation and not by todays standard.

dcx4610

The perfect game to me would mean that anyone of any age could understand, pick up and play it with minimal instructions. I think the closest we have ever gotten to that is Tetris.

SmashTheState

Neo Member

LOL i had to stop playing that game because of how annoyingly repetitive everything became. Might as well say the first assassins creed is a 'perfect game' because its basically the same formula sans a gorgeous world and annoying ass protagonist (aloy)

Horizon is an excellent package, so I disagree there.

For me, though, the “perfect game” is how I’d describe a simple game that just pulls you in. Spelunky is damn close to perfect, in that spirit.

RVIDXR

Perfect to me is no matter what time/day/month/year it is, I can play any of these games and not get bored.

Halo 3
Halo 5 Multiplayer
MGS2
MGS4 (SaveMGO)
MGSV
Bloodborne
Super Mario 64
GoldenEye 007 & GE Source
Burnout Paradise
CoD 4 - Black Ops
Battlefield 4
Uncharted 4 Multiplayer
Destiny

As an adult any game where I have the time and lack the stress of feeling like I should be doing something else. Every game has the potential to be the perfect game if you are ready to relax and enjoy it...

But few of us can cause we are all dead inside and as you get older it gets worse. The true content moments where a game is acceptable to your brain is the perfect game.

There's no such thing.

Several have come very close.
Off the top of my head:
Mario odyssey
BotW
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Horizon
Last of Us
Tekken Tag 2
God of war 2
Secret of mana
Final Fantasy VI

And a bunch more.

Closest to perfect though? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, The Last of Us, God of War 2, Final Fantasy VI.

Excellent list. I agree with everything except Horizon and Odyssey (haven't played them)

cuate

Banned
It takes longer to do stuff than in any 2d game, the overworld is sparser, and the Water Temple is dogged by Link's slow underwater movement.

I'm not sure what exactly takes longer to do, but that's different from having bad pacing.
Overworld isn't even that big. You can go from kokiri forest to hyrule castle in about a minute or so. It doesn't need to be jam packed(though I wouldn't call it sparse). You don't really spend much time underwater either(and of course your movement is going to be slower on water than on land) Having to pause to change boots was a bit annoying though, being able to map the iron boots to the c buttons would have been better. About the only flaw I can think of would be navi's annoying pestering, but otherwise it's perfect.

loki 16

The closest thing to a perfect game is Persona 4. For a JRPG it had the best blending of storytelling and gameplay.

I'm not sure what exactly takes longer to do, but that's different from having bad pacing.
Overworld isn't even that big. You can go from kokiri forest to hyrule castle in about a minute or so. It doesn't need to be jam packed(though I wouldn't call it sparse). You don't really spend much time underwater either(and of course your movement is going to be slower on water than on land) Having to pause to change boots was a bit annoying though, being able to map the iron boots to the c buttons would have been better. About the only flaw I can think of would be navi's annoying pestering, but otherwise it's perfect.

Enough time is spent underwater in the Water Temple for the slow movement to be annoying, without any of the quicker movement opions of, say, the Zora Mask from Majora's Mask, first and foremost. Link being able to swim instead of stuck walking underwater would by default have been quicker.

Other than new games the below have replay value for me

GTA 4 & 5
Europa Universalis 3
Day of Defeat source
Red Alert - Yuri's revenge
Star Wars: Rebellion
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Age of Mythology: The Titans

Narasaki

I finish this game once and never play it again, but it never leave my head. One of the most tightly directed videogames ever. Who cares about replayability when you can give an experience thats better than 90% of the other media around?

If you want an experience better than almost anything in the interactive media entertainment world, this is the perfect game

ImageResizer.ashx

Man, this guy Arnt Jensen is so intelligent that it make the entire videogame industry looks so fucking dumb and childish in comparison. Only Ueda and Miyazaki are on the same level.

I hope this bromance it's the beggining of something terrifyingly beautiful. I know I will be praying for that.
ahIYITq.jpg

Top Bottom