• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 on Xbox One X Features Impressive Leap over PS4Pro

Bramble

So now we're wishing for DF to stop doing their comparison videos? Because all of a sudden you think they're "bullshit"? And now we're equating double the pixels as "some extra pixels"?

This is not a DF Foundry video, so what are you talking about? Nowadays it seems we are mory busy nitpicking some added fucking pixels, than properly enjoying games. The only "impressive leaps" I saw this gen, are the Pro/X over the base hardware, because of the 4K thing. The exaggeration is becoming pathetic, ridiculous and hyperbolic. Yes, a 500,- machine that came out a year later, can produce better graphics. Why and how is this shocking? Because we're all acting like it is. Especially given the fact we have to use magnifying glasses to even spot the differences in a lot of games (which are only noticable by people who are really into games and graphics). I'm not trying to downplay the X here, because it definitely is a beautiful machine (although I find it to expensive for the differences over my Pro on a 1080p set, which I still own), but some people seem to forget what gaming is all about and the fact that PS4 still has exclusives that look better on the base hardware than MS exclusives look on the X, makes the whole thing more laughable.

Just like the OG PS4 is hardly noticable better over the X1(S). So yeah, I don't see an impressive leap in the video posted in this thread. It just a higher dynamic res, which is the least you can expect from the X1X (personally, I find the differences until now actually pretty dissapointing, X was on my list because I hoped for 30fps multiplats being able to run at 60fps, but that''s not gonna happen, so it seems). It's not 120fps, X does not feature a triple amount of onscreen NPC's, it does not have better AI or bigger maps. It's just a 60fps across all consoles with the only difference being the res, just like games that are 30fps.

Hell, the only thing I am currently playing is Skyrim in VR and to be honest, it absolutely looks like a big pile of shit graphically. It doesn't even feature proper surround sound. I know it looks much better on a TV, but I would never be able to get into this game in 2D, because I would find it just as boring as setting up a spreadsheet in Excel. But VR makes al those cons fade away because of the awesome immersion it gives me and it even makes the gameplay fun. Sitting on a bench watching NPC's do their thing is even fun, you know?

So sure, you go ahead counting pixels, while other people are able to actually enjoy their games for what they are.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This is not a DF Foundry video, so what are you talking about? Nowadays it seems we are mory busy nitpicking some added fucking pixels, than properly enjoying games. The only "impressive leaps" I saw this gen, are the Pro/X over the base hardware, because of the 4K thing. The exaggeration is becoming pathetic, ridiculous and hyperbolic. Yes, a 500,- machine that came out a year later, can produce better graphics. Why and how is this shocking? Because we're all acting like it is. Especially given the fact we have to use magnifying glasses to even spot the differences in a lot of games (which are only noticable by people who are really into games and graphics). I'm not trying to downplay the X here, because it definitely is a beautiful machine (although I find it to expensive for the differences over my Pro on a 1080p set, which I still own), but some people seem to forget what gaming is all about and the fact that PS4 still has exclusives that look better on the base hardware than MS exclusives look on the X, makes the whole thing more laughable.

Just like the OG PS4 is hardly noticable better over the X1(S). So yeah, I don't see an impressive leap in the video posted in this thread. It just a higher dynamic res, which is the least you can expect from the X1X (personally, I find the differences until now actually pretty dissapointing, X was on my list because I hoped for 30fps multiplats being able to run at 60fps, but that''s not gonna happen, so it seems). It's not 120fps, X does not feature a triple amount of onscreen NPC's, it does not have better AI or bigger maps. It's just a 60fps across all consoles with the only difference being the res, just like games that are 30fps.

Hell, the only thing I am currently playing is Skyrim in VR and to be honest, it absolutely looks like a big pile of shit graphically. It doesn't even feature proper surround sound. I know it looks much better on a TV, but I would never be able to get into this game in 2D, because I would find it just as boring as setting up a spreadsheet in Excel. But VR makes al those cons fade away because of the awesome immersion it gives me and it even makes the gameplay fun. Sitting on a bench watching NPC's do their thing is even fun, you know?

So sure, you go ahead counting pixels, while other people are able to actually enjoy their games for what they are.

the magnifying glass you speak of is because of compressed youtube videos that all

also a 1080p tv then the x aint for you as its designed as a 4k console but it does make 1080p games look a lot better via super sampling or what ever it is and don't forget the x use's higher res textures

as for exclusives this is a thread about battlefront so no need to bring them up

and one last point the ps3 came out a full year after the 360 and people argued it was justified

Bramble

the magnifying glass you speak of is because of compressed youtube videos that all

also a 1080p tv then the x aint for you as its designed as a 4k console but it does make 1080p games look a lot better via super sampling or what ever it is and don't forget the x use's higher res textures

as for exclusives this is a thread about battlefront so no need to bring them up

and one last point the ps3 came out a full year after the 360 and people argued it was justified

Yeah well Pro also does supersampling on 1080p, so your point?

I brought up exclusives to make the point that X is (IMO) less impressive than some people make out of it. If it was, than Gears and Halo would graphically destroy games like Uncharted and HZD, which they frankly don't, even compared to those games running on a base PS4.

In some games it uses higher textures, like Shadow of War, which does not look impressive even on PC. I mean, I guess X can run Minecraft on 8K?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah well Pro also does supersampling on 1080p, so your point?

I brought up exclusives to make the point that X is (IMO) less impressive than some people make out of it. If it was, than Gears and Halo would graphically destroy games like Uncharted and HZD, which they frankly don't, even compared to those games running on a base PS4.

In some games it uses higher textures, like Shadow of War, which does not look impressive even on PC. I mean, I guess X can run Minecraft on 8K?

suer sampling is only done on some games on the pro where the x its standard, halo and gears look realy good reguardless of what you say

as for higher res textures if your happy with the base ps4 games as there are happy for you

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

B.. bu... but the exclusives!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
B.. bu... but the exclusives!

each to their own, some like playstation exclusives some like xbox exclusives, biggest selling games are always the multiplatform tho battlefield , COD or fifa for example and they will look better on the x because of the power of the console. that being said its not like the playstation versions will be unplayable they will look great to but not as good as the X

Szajna

Neo Member
Obviously since its more powerfull console it will lead in every multiplat games :).
Both give really good experiance so i dont see much problem in playing either of them,though personally i'd go with PC couse of kb/m combo over gamepad.

Wonko_C

Devs seemingly aren't supportimg the Pro the way Mark Cerny originally envisioned during the 2016 PS Meeting: Games should be using checkerboard rendering with temporal antialiasing techniques to reach results that look better than just upping res to 1440p. This was the case at first but now it looks like games are doing it less and less.

Bramble

suer sampling is only done on some games on the pro where the x its standard, halo and gears look realy good reguardless of what you say

as for higher res textures if your happy with the base ps4 games as there are happy for you

Well, it actually works pretty much the same on both consoles, but MS marketing did it's job here, apparently. It all depends on the 4K patch and what the devs decide to prioritize.

Yes, Halo and Gears look good, but they're not on the same par as some exclusives on the other side, even on the base hardware. More pixels doesn't necessary means something looks better.

But like I said before, let's just enjoy the games. Even the crappy looking VR ones that add tons of immersion.

Obviously since its more powerfull console it will lead in every multiplat games :).
Both give really good experiance so i dont see much problem in playing either of them,though personally i'd go with PC couse of kb/m combo over gamepad.

Well welcome to the year 2017, where a mouse has been available on consoles for many years by now.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well, it actually works pretty much the same on both consoles, but MS marketing did it's job here, apparently. It all depends on the 4K patch and what the devs decide to prioritize.

Yes, Halo and Gears look good, but they're not on the same par as some exclusives on the other side, even on the base hardware. More pixels doesn't necessary means something looks better.

But like I said before, let's just enjoy the games. Even the crappy looking VR ones that add tons of immersion.

Well welcome to the year 2017, where a mouse has been available on consoles for many years by now.

All a matter of opinion that, as I said it comes down to the individual on what they like. some would say the switch has better exclusives than both consoles.
I love the Mario games personaly and would buy the console just for that but I haven't bought a playstation for any exclusive yet. it may change but nothing is making me buy one as of yet. am happy gaming on my Xbox x and my pc which is powerful enough to run most games realy well and I have Oculus rift to

Did PS3 owners feel cheated when PS4 launched? Unless PS5 launches in 2019, no one should have an issue, except for maybe pro owners who might feel cheated for buying the Pro and PS5 launching shortly after lol, it's a double edge sword.

Yup. On a side-note: Thankfully I dont think Sony will bother with the PS5 until late 2020. I know many gaffers want shorter gens...but I feel like the general population isn't anywhere close to ready for a whole new gen yet. Upgrade fatigue is a real risk. The Pro's sales could be viewed as much a yardstick for "next-gen readiness" as anything else. I think most people are happy with their base PS4s. X1s sales are understandably on track to be better. But I can see both companies being just fine to ride out software profits for another 3-4 years before incurring the expense of another launch. Let demand build a little longer.

Bramble

All a matter of opinion that, as I said it comes down to the individual on what they like. some would say the switch has better exclusives than both consoles.
I love the Mario games personaly and would buy the console just for that but I haven't bought a playstation for any exclusive yet. it may change but nothing is making me buy one as of yet. am happy gaming on my Xbox x and my pc which is powerful enough to run most games realy well and I have Oculus rift to

I'm talking graphics since that's what's so important to Xbox owners all of a sudden, not what game is better. That is indeed opinion, you are right sir.

Krisprolls

Banned

Wow, I couldn't agree more with everything you said here, it's like you're reading my mind. I started Skyrim VR too and yeah it looks pretty bad but immersion is indeed second to none.

I can't wait to compare 8K graphics zooming 10 times next gen with fanboys raging about the small pixel no eye can see anyway. Relax guys, every machine will make roughly the same pics from now on because your eyes and your brain have limitations and they won't go away magically.

I've been saying for years those battles will soon be over now that diminishing returns are there to stay. The absolute limit is around 4K / 60 fps, after that you really gain nothing (and unless you have a big screen, you also gain nothing over 1440p actually), but you actually gain very few long before that limit.

Heck, some games on my PS3 even look pretty good compared to recent PS4/PC games.

Focus on what matters now, immersion, gameplay and art (which is a lot more important than power to beautiful graphics).

Good times ahead. One day we'll start talking about games themselves on here. It will be hard at first but we'll make it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
And a mid-range/high end PC is an impressive leap over both of them. What else is new.

200w.gif

A lot of what you said in your posts in this thread is true and I can’t argue, even as someone who really likes my Pro even after buying an X and upgrading my graphics card on PC.

There is one thing I feel compelled to point out and that is not every X enhanced game uses improved textures. Gears 4 and Shadow of War do but others don’t.

Not trying to be nitpicking but improved textures aren’t a norm for X just like downsampling isn’t a norm for Pro

ZeoVGM

Banned
God damn, some people get really angry at this stuff.

PS4-only fans, it's okay. PS4 still won the gen. Most people won't be switching fro PS4 to XB1X.

It'll be okay. Don't be so angry.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Supersampling does not work the same on both consoles though.

On PS4 Pro it has to be enabled by the developer, whereas on XB1X it's done on an OS level, which means as long it outputs at a resolution higher than 1080p it will be supersampled.

Of course they both require the games be enhanced for their respective systems, but it's not necessarily working the same way as you stated.

So yeah, I don't see an impressive leap in the video posted in this thread. It just a higher dynamic res, which is the least you can expect from the X1X (personally, I find the differences until now actually pretty dissapointing, X was on my list because I hoped for 30fps multiplats being able to run at 60fps, but that''s not gonna happen, so it seems). It's not 120fps, X does not feature a triple amount of onscreen NPC's, it does not have better AI or bigger maps. It's just a 60fps across all consoles with the only difference being the res, just like games that are 30fps.

Pretty much my issue with the X. The extra power isn't being used to do anything I care about. Just running the same old games in high res mode and sometimes in higher frame rate mode.

It's not like you stick in Halo 5 and you download some patch and they remade all the assets to be way more complex because the tech can handle it, the AI is way more nuanced due to the extra processing power, or anything that counts for people for aren't TV nuts.

I know it looks much better on a TV, but I would never be able to get into this game in 2D, because I would find it just as boring as setting up a spreadsheet in Excel.

You have made some amazing spreadsheets or have a super high love for spreadsheets if they're 2D Skyrim levels of entertaining.

Night.Ninja

Banned
People making out the games we see on the X now are games that are built from the ground up on the X.

Wait until developers start building games for the X because right now it's games are getting built for One and getting patched for the X.

Save your I'm disappointed talk for then

Malcolm9

People making out the games we see on the X now are games that are built from the ground up on the X.

Wait until developers start building games for the X because right now it's games are getting built for One and getting patched for the X.

Save your I'm disappointed talk for then

They won't be doing that though, the base platforms will be the main consoles, you won't get X only games.

Damn, I must be one of the very few people that don’t care about this X1X vs Pro nonsense. I just wanna play games and I’m more than happy with my pro.

Cloud_9

Neo Member
Honestly though, if third parties started using checkerboarding on the pro more often, the res gap wouldn't be as big.

welshrat

Been playing this on the xbox one x and the frame hitching / drops are pretty noticeable at times.

I don't have the Pro version so can't compare. Has anyone else not noticed this ?

Does the dynamic res scaler need some work or should I try installing on an external drive or something ? Its not enough to stop me playing but its pretty annoying and googling it seems I am not the only one.

meirl

Banned
Damn, I must be one of the very few people that don’t care about this X1X vs Pro nonsense. I just wanna play games and I’m more than happy with my pro.

Oh of course you have a pro... that’s why you don’t care. Also, you care so much that you take time to post here. Lol

phil_t98

#SonyToo
A lot of what you said in your posts in this thread is true and I can’t argue, even as someone who really likes my Pro even after buying an X and upgrading my graphics card on PC.

There is one thing I feel compelled to point out and that is not every X enhanced game uses improved textures. Gears 4 and Shadow of War do but others don’t.

Not trying to be nitpicking but improved textures aren’t a norm for X just like downsampling isn’t a norm for Pro

yeah not all do but its early days of the X yet. I think the more games that get enhanced the more the 4k textures will be added, quantum break also got 4k textures and I am sure Forza 7 did to. I speculate Forza horizon 3 will get them in jan or when the patch comes as they are already available on pc

I aint bashing the pro its a good console and good games on it its just not as powerful as the X thats all. no Salt intended

mad597

Banned
If you're buying consoles for power you're doing it wrong. It's about true exclusives and X1 still has none.

Sony fans did that early this gen with the PS4, Sony had nothing but crap exclusives and they were few and far between. In fact Sony really has had what 1 good QTR of exclusives this year and back to being sparse. Their holiday lineup of exclusives this year is again crap, but I guess one good QTR out of the last 4 years makes Sony fans pivot on exclusives cause Sony certainly didn't have shit when Sony fans were parading around claiming power was the biggest factor before the X came out.

mad597

Banned
You must have missed the Pro launch when people were shitting on it when it dropped a couple frames compared to the standard. This is not new. People are simply critical of the most powerful systems.

Yea I missed it cause that never happened and especially didn't happen here on sonygaf.

mad597

Banned
STFU with these comments, it's hardly any different than it used to be.

Only difference is Xbox is on top now and to some here that is not acceptable, gotta burn the place down instead of accept the fact that Xbox has much better hardware and runs all games much better than the Pro

mad597

Banned
Still dynamic. We have to stay accurate here. Also you have to be specific at what settings the 1X is playing it at compared to the PC you want him to theoretically build. These things matter when you’re talking about cost and build of a PC.

Well sony uses dynamic 4k in their marketing of the Pro, how accurate is that when they aren't even hitting 4k in most games?

Sony should change it to dynamic 1440P

hqdefault.jpg

mad597

Banned
Fuck this shit. It looks awesome on both consoles. This magnifying bullshit needs to stop.

Some extra pixels does not make a game an "impressive leap". If X would have double the framerate and al kind of extra effects en lighting, that would be an "impressive leap".

Sony fans were literally counting blades of grass in GTA early this gen to parade around forums claiming power victory.

Odd people only want this "magnifying bullshit" to stop when Sony is not top dog in power.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony fans were literally counting blades of grass in GTA early this gen to parade around forums claiming power victory.

Odd people only want this "magnifying bullshit" to stop when Sony is not top dog in power.

Not really odd when you think about there’s three times more PS4 owners than Xbox Obe owners, but otherwise I agree with you.

Krisprolls

Banned

The big difference is now we're splitting hair over 1440p, where your eye basically can't see anything anymore. Diminishing returns made that pointless.

Differences between Xbox One and PS4 used to be a bit more meaningful (though still not that meaningful compared to older consoles).

I know, I have a big PC and I still play on my 1080p monitor (with supersampling) because you just don't gain much over that unles syou have a huge screen.

DF comparison won't make sense at all over 4k / 60 fps even on a huge screen, it won't come back with PS5 / Xbox next. I know at least I won't read them, your eyes just can't tell the difference anymore...

Senua

The big difference is now we're splitting hair over 1440p, where your eye basically can't see anything anymore. Diminishing returns made that pointless.

Differences between Xbox One and PS4 used to be a bit more meaningful (though still not that meaningful compared to older consoles).

I know, I have a big PC and I still play on my 1080p monitor (with supersampling) because you just don't gain much over that unles syou have a huge screen.

DF comparison won't make sense at all over 4k / 60 fps even on a huge screen, it won't come back with PS5 / Xbox next. I know at least I won't read them, your eyes just can't tell the difference anymore...
Embarrassing.

mad597

Banned

Oh gees the fucking "diminishing returns" crap, So odd this only cropped up when Xbox had a more powerful console. Subjective bullshit that is always twisted around to favor Sony.

Its not just a res bump either, larger more detailed textures in alot of games, more graphical effects, better LOD etc.

A game like Hitman showing a 20 FPS advantage on the X over the Pro when the X uses the option to run the game at the same res as the pro but also with better graphical details.

Guess that is just "diminishing returns" too

It's an objectively more powerful console. Why wouldn't it?

"Because I needed to create to create a sensationalist thread" -op, probably

Is it a surprise that the number 10 is greater than the number 5? If not, then it should be no surprise that a console with upgraded hardware is going to have better looking games than a console with not as new hardware. It's great that console hardware is offering higher end visuals to the masses, but the number of circle jerk threads and rebuttals from both sides are getting old. And yes, PC gamers and gamers with multiple platforms are judging.

One of the biggest reasons Xbox was slagged so hard early on was because their box was significantly under powered compared to PS4, was like twice the size plus a power brick, AND IT WAS $100 MORE EVEN THOUGH IT WAS WORSE IN COMPARISON!

This time, things are right where they should be. One X is significantly more powerful than the Pro, and it is $100 more ($200 on Black Friday), BUT IT ACTUALLY MAKES FUCKING SENSE TO CHARGE $100 MORE THIS TIME BECAUSE ITS BETTER NOT WORSE.

Seems really simple to me why "Sony" people pointed fingers at the OG Xbox saying WTF. Nobody should be saying that about the Pro, its fine and is priced accordingly, but yet, its worse than the One X hands down.

mad597

Banned
"Because I needed to create to create a sensationalist thread" -op, probably

Is it a surprise that the number 10 is greater than the number 5? If not, then it should be no surprise that a console with upgraded hardware is going to have better looking games than a console with not as new hardware. It's great that console hardware is offering higher end visuals to the masses, but the number of circle jerk threads and rebuttals from both sides are getting old. And yes, PC gamers and gamers with multiple platforms are judging.

We had threads for every faceoff and video that proclaimed the PS4 better than the Xbox One, why is that not ok now when the Xbox is more powerful?

We had threads for every faceoff and video that proclaimed the PS4 better than the Xbox One, why is that not ok now when the Xbox is more powerful?

Nothing wrong with faceoff threads or general discussion. What's getting old is the faux surprise/shock that a more powerful console (by a pretty large margin too) has better visuals. Case in point the first post in this thread. What's also causing me to facepalm is the downplaying on the pro Sony side. It's so bizarre. Discuss the differences because numbers don't lie. Move on. Go play some games.

-PC and PS4 Pro gamer

mad597

Banned
Nothing wrong with faceoff threads or general discussion. What's getting old is the faux surprise/shock that a more powerful console (by a pretty large margin too) has better visuals. Case in point the first post in this thread. What's also causing me to facepalm is the downplaying on the pro Sony side. It's so bizarre. Discuss the differences because numbers don't lie. Move on. Go play some games.

-PC and PS4 Pro gamer

The surprise is the differences in res is hitting over 100% better in some games and that also includes better graphical features. The console is beating the Pro in much larger ways than people anticipated.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
One of the biggest reasons Xbox was slagged so hard early on was because their box was significantly under powered compared to PS4, was like twice the size plus a power brick, AND IT WAS $100 MORE EVEN THOUGH IT WAS WORSE IN COMPARISON!

This time, things are right where they should be. One X is significantly more powerful than the Pro, and it is $100 more ($200 on Black Friday), BUT IT ACTUALLY MAKES FUCKING SENSE TO CHARGE $100 MORE THIS TIME BECAUSE ITS BETTER NOT WORSE.

Seems really simple to me why "Sony" people pointed fingers at the OG Xbox saying WTF. Nobody should be saying that about the Pro, its fine and is priced accordingly, but yet, its worse than the One X hands down.

it was $100 dollars more but came with Kinnect version 2 that was the mistake to. it wasn't like for like in you were getting exactly the same as just a console and controller, every xbox one came with Kinect in the box. yes this was a mistake and put the price up and the xbox one had less power than ps4

as for pricing on the pro yeah its a good price and the x is a good price to

it was $100 dollars more but came with Kinnect version 2 that was the mistake to. it wasn't like for like in you were getting exactly the same as just a console and controller, every xbox one came with Kinect in the box. yes this was a mistake and put the price up and the xbox one had less power than ps4

as for pricing on the pro yeah its a good price and the x is a good price to

Holy shit the Kinect! I totally forgot about that nonsense. Ya I guess that was why there was an extra $100 cost, what a mistake that was. The Kinect was not wanted and just caused a higher price on a less powerful console at the time.

Regardless, I still think things are priced accordingly this time as opposed to last and it does change the argument a little bit. While I like my Pro and am ok with it since it was less than the X, I will not deny that the One X is just flat out more powerful.

Sony fans, there's no point in denying the X is the better console, it just is but thats why you pay more for it and waited longer for it. Xbox fans, this doesnt carry quite the dick measuring because it was a much different scenario for hating on the original Xbox, it deserved it based on their original plan/pricing structure/kinect.

Top Bottom