• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Sequel Announced

ZeroRay

Looks promising. Kinda what I expected the sequel to AA would be (playing in enclosed part of the city).

I have faith in Rocksteady though and I expect a lot of surprises in regards to how the game plays.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
FunnyBunny said:
Is it certain Hamil won't voice the Joker? Sure, he said AA was his last performance - but he may not have predicted the success of that game. Money talks.
well, that WAS him in the trailer. granted, it was probably just left-overs from the AA recordings.

kikanny said:
Dude WTF. Spoiler tag that man. I haven't even completed 5 % of the game. :(
Not to be an asshole, but why are you in the sequel thread if you haven't completed 5%?
What he said isn't exactly a terrible spoiler anyway.

kikanny

Buckethead said:
Not to be an asshole, but why are you in the sequel thread if you haven't completed 5%?

Lol. I guess you're right. I'm outta here.

RagnarokX

In the trailer, the gate leading into the closed off part of the city says "Arkham Asylum". Arkham Asylum 2 is a likely title.

kikanny said:
Dude WTF. Spoiler tag that man. I haven't even completed 5 % of the game. :(

Apologies. I didn't even consider it was a spoiler given it's the sequel thread and the way AA is set up (as in, the entire island is taken over and inmates are running wild). I'll go back and spoiler that bit.

That said, you want to stay out of this thread; the trailer itself gives a big part of the game away.
The Joker is f'ed up. Makes me think Hamil may not return; Mr. J in that trailer has an IV and is in no shape to take on Bats. Two Face must be calling the shots.

Calling it now...I'll make the Arkham 2 official thread. :D

And yeah, the clip doesn't sound 100% like Hamill. Maybe my brain is just messed up from that.
I'd like to see Joker do a Jigsaw deal 50% of the game then have Two Face take over for the rest, or something along those lines.

hamchan

Buckethead said:

I'm not even sure it is a spoiler. I don't remember the Asylum ending up in ruins.

Alright. Time to look for some clues in the trailer and do some batman-style detective work! I'll user spoilers for those who haven't played the first one.

After getting beat up in the first game, Joker is sent to the hospital to get all stitched up (Blood tube says "Property of Gotham General", thus confirming that he escapes from the Hospital (most likely the second level/location that you play. Good news for those who want closed-environment similar to the first game). Arkham looks very well guarded in the beginning so everything is stable... for now. Joker's Goons have freed Harley Quinn and with they help Joker escape. All this happens while Batman and the Police is busy taking care of Two-face who is busy robbing a bank (this can be the first level/location that you play. Could be an awesome stealth-based map where you rescue hostages from the bank, if any.

After escaping the hospital, Joker's goons have over-run the city (or atleast certain sections of it, including Amusement Mile and Old Gotham. It also looks like Two-face has taken over too (with "I Want You" slogan posters... maybe he is running for the District Attorney again? Or maybe he is just being propagandist).

Other things that can be noticed in the trailer is the "Iceberg Lounge", owned by the Penguin. Iceberg Lounge looks deserted and since it is the hottest place in Gotham and always jam-packed, Joker's Goons have fucked shit up big time. The Clock Tower (or atleast I think it is) can also seen, already defaced by The Joker.

At the end of the trailer, you hear someone whisper but I can't quite make up the words...

hamchan said:
I'm not even sure it is a spoiler. I don't remember the Asylum ending up in ruins.
That and given the degree that Rocksteady/Eidos whored this game, it's unlikely that people didn't see atleast a screenshot of Arkham being all fucked up atleast a little.

GCQuinton

I'm all for a take on No Man's Land if that's the direction they're going with it. One of the best things about the first game is how tight the design was, so if they can figure that part out for this new version of Arkham/Narrows/whatever it should be fine.

I'm also partial to NML because it introduced of my favorite DC characters, Cassandra Cain, but I doubt she'd show up in this.

hamchan said:

Ivy's plants destroyed a good chunk of the island and caused significant structural damage to the island itself. Arkham is in no shape to accept new patients; especially considering a blew a hole in every wall looking for Riddler trophies!

RagnarokX

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Time to look for some clues in the trailer and do some batman-style detective work! I'll user spoilers for those who haven't played the first one.

After getting beat up in the first game, Joker is sent to the hospital to get all stitched up (Blood tube says "Property of Gotham General", thus confirming that he escapes from the Hospital (most likely the second level/location that you play. Good news for those who want closed-environment similar to the first game). Arkham looks very well guarded in the beginning so everything is stable... for now. Joker's Goons have freed Harley Quinn and with they help Joker escape. All this happens while Batman and the Police is busy taking care of Two-face who is busy robbing a bank (this can be the first level/location that you play. Could be an awesome stealth-based map where you rescue hostages from the bank, if any.

After escaping the hospital, Joker's goons have over-run the city (or atleast certain sections of it, including Amusement Mile and Old Gotham. It also looks like Two-face has taken over too (with "I Want You" slogan posters... maybe he is running for the District Attorney again? Or maybe he is just being propagandist).

Other things that can be noticed in the trailer is the "Iceberg Lounge", owned by the Penguin. Iceberg Lounge looks deserted and since it is the hottest place in Gotham and always jam-packed, Joker's Goons have fucked shit up big time. The Clock Tower (or atleast I think it is) can also seen, already defaced by The Joker.

At the end of the trailer, you hear someone whisper but I can't quite make up the words...
I doubt it takes place that soon after the first game. It would take quite a bit of time to build a high security wall around a large portion of the city. This must be months to years later. Game probably has different crime lords vying for control over sections of the asylum; Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, Black Mask, etc.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If this is a 2010 title, then it's definitely in my short list for most hyped. Gotham would be the ideal environment, but I'd like to see it broken up into smaller areas like the different buildings of Gotham. One of the great things about AA was it's pacing and level design, both of those things would be jeopardized by it going open world.

Snuggler said:
If this is a 2010 title, then it's definitely in my short list for most hyped. Gotham would be the ideal environment, but I'd like to see it broken up into smaller areas like the different buildings of Gotham. One of the great things about AA was it's pacing and level design, both of those things would be jeopardized by it going open world.

From the looks of it, it is indeed broken down into sections.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I really hope Rocksteady rethinks the whole idea of going to back to Arkham Asylum and try their hand at another Batman Story like Batman: The Long Halloween.

tino

Banned
Not a smart time to announce the sequel. At least let the press vote the first game into GOTY first. Once you are put on the pedestal, it's alot easier to ride the wave to the sequel.

Unless of course, they know they are going to win the VGA.

G-Fex

neojubei said:
I really hope Rocksteady rethinks the whole idea of going to back to Arkham Asylum and try their hand at another Batman Story like Batman: The Long Halloween.

I really really really wish they would adapt the Long Halloween in some other medium but that's fine.

This seems more like No Man's Land from the trailer.

sooooo tired of the Joker

I feel like this announcement came too soon. It's a no-brainer announcement, but still. I gotta say I'm a little disappointed to see that the Joker is apparently the main villain again.

Blader

Cool, I just finished AA recently and was hoping we'd see a sequel. Even though the writing and voice acting were laughably bad, the gameplay was really damn fun and I'd love to see more of it.

Atrus

Gold Member
Blader5489 said:
Cool, I just finished AA recently and was hoping we'd see a sequel. Even though the writing and voice acting were laughably bad, the gameplay was really damn fun and I'd love to see more of it.

I don't see how the VA could be bad with the TAS Batman voiceovers for Batman, Joker and Harley.

Rad Agast

I'm all for a sequel but I hope they don't rush it. I don't mind if it's a 2011 release as long as it's as good as the first.

HappyAppe

Neo Member
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but after the camera pans inside the dilapidated fun house, before heading up to where J is sitting, you can see a sign which reads "Sionis" overhead. Roman Sionis aka The Black Mask being one of the primary bad guys possibly?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I hope it's not set in the Asylum again. Looks like the city is running rampant with goons, and as a result Two Face (Harvey) is trying to get elected to bring them in. They could do an origin story with Two Face in the game itself if they wanted to with that context. Then again I doubt that's really what those posters represent.

AniHawk

This is cool, but not surprising. AA is awesome. I just hope they either scale back the Titan stuff or do something really crazy with it. Those fights got to be kinda repetitive.

Dead

well not really...yet
bridegur said:
I'd love to see this done well. I'm hoping the sequel expands the great gameplay of the first into an at least semi-open world Gotham.
Yeah, I wanted to see an Open World Gotham with full on Wayne Manor, Batmobile, etc

benjipwns

Banned
HappyAppe said:
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but after the camera pans inside the dilapidated fun house, before heading up to where J is sitting, you can see a sign which reads "Sionis" overhead. Roman Sionis aka The Black Mask being one of the primary bad guys possibly?
Yeah, plus a few more things: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18864942&postcount=205

They already did some character design for a lot of these guys in the first game.

Penguin

As much as I'm stoked for another quality Batman game, I still think the announcement was too soon.

And well I like that they are moving away from Arkham, I hope they don't make it too much of Gotham, one of the best things about Arkham was just going around the various building and they were in close proximity.

With that said, would love to see some new villains

-Some Two-Face would be cool
-Maybe a visit to the Iceberg Lounge
-Catwoman in some capacity
-Maybe cameos frm the Batfamily

benjipwns said:
They already did some character design for a lot of these guys in the first game.

A lot of those were pretty shit though too. :lol

I just hope that they keep the amount of villains contained.
There was pretty much no reason for Bane to be in AA. Would say the same for
Poison Ivy

They could have done the
plants destroy Arkham
thing differently and better without her being in it, imo. However, if the final boss fight was an epic Joker vs. Batman vs.
......Ivy
3-way battle, then all would've been forgiven.

But generally, keep it small and focused for a nice narrative and buildup to each one.

This spoiler shit is pissing me of btw.

Joei

oh god yes. tug on my gonads yes

Buckethead said:
There was pretty much no reason for Bane to be in AA.

Are you retarded?
One of the central story points was about Bane. You know, Joker wanting to use the venom that made Bane "Bane" for his mutant army, and eventually on himself.

Rez said:
well, that WAS him in the trailer. granted, it was probably just left-overs from the AA recordings.
Well if Hamil isn't even doing the voice over, why would they shoe-horn Joker in again?

Batman has such a huge list of enemies, there's no reason for joker to be the center of everything.

Arkham felt so fresh. I'd hate to get into the sequel and feel like it's a rehash

Chuck Norris said:
Well if Hamil isn't even doing the voice over, why would they shoe-horn Joker in again?

It could be a re-direct to mess with our heads. Who knows.
I'm taking everything with a grain of salt until I see gameplay.

But your fears are my fears, broheim.

milking-a-cow.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a Master Ninja said:
Even that announcement had some breathing room. When do you guys expect this to come out?
I would hope not until early 2011 at the very earliest.

Blader5489 said:
Wait, what?

All of the Titan fights SUCKED. If they do bring it back, I hope for something very different.

Also maybe
Scarecrow
is going to be the big boss 'cuz of the ending of AA. I would like some of the Bat Family and a whole new crop of villians. As long as Joker the main villian.

Top Bottom