• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

Chirotera

Banned
I always envisioned a day when Giant Bomb became just Jeff Gerstmann streaming low-res gaming vids, saying things like "I don't know man, video games..." out of his basement as the bombs fall.

That day is one step closer.

Best of luck to you Drew! You are one of my favorites, and it's going to suck to see you go. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
IE Taking over North Korea

I'd like a strategy/War gaming guy that actually plays games (sorry Drew) If only Bruce Geryk wasn't a widely successful Neurosurgeon. I'd accept Erik Wolpaw as well. Or Jeff Green or Brad Muir.

Hari Seldon

Brad went bananas over Ori, Brothers, and Geometry Wars; Dan loved Pocket Card Jockey and Ultimate Chicken Horse; Jeff put Assault Suit Leynos, and Hackmud on his honorable mentions for GOTY 2016, and his actual list had Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Picross 3D: Round 2, The Witness, and Superhot.

C'mon now.

AAA is a bad way to put it I guess. But GBWest doesn't seem to care about strategy games or PC releases in general outside of Drew. That is fine of course, I like the podcast anyway. But if they are hiring someone new I hope they get someone that is not a carbon copy of Jeff Gerstman's gaming preferences like Brad is. Since the site revolves around what the editors want to play, I might be more invested if maybe they tried a paradox game or maybe cover a HS expansion or something.

Xeteh

AAA is a bad way to put it I guess. But GBWest doesn't seem to care about strategy games or PC releases in general outside of Drew. That is fine of course, I like the podcast anyway. But if they are hiring someone new I hope they get someone that is not a carbon copy of Jeff Gerstman's gaming preferences like Brad is. Since the site revolves around what the editors want to play, I might be more invested if maybe they tried a paradox game or maybe cover a HS expansion or something.

Not entirely sure how Brad and Jeff have the exact same tastes considering they're the two that probably have the biggest arguments over games during GOTY. Is the interview process supposed to start with "What types of games do you enjoy?" and if they answer "action games, driving games with the occasional fighting and puzzle games" then Jeff should just say "ugh, we already have that covered. Sorry".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn... I am still listening to the latest podcast and hadn't made it to this part.

Sad to see him go, for sure. Really sad to see so many awesome people leave Giant Bomb in recent years.

Wuiji

I'm going to miss his comedy genius going unnoticed by everyone else.

It's alright, judging from this thread almost nobody has realised that the actual master of stealth comedy is Jason. If you think Drew's lines get missed, he's got nothing on Jason.

o4GPSjA.gif

VDenter

Banned
Drew was a really down to earth kind of guy on the Giantbomb team. Kind of ironic when you consider the whole flying planes thing.

Jason is awesome. Plus he rounds out the gang's gaming tastes nicely. Somebody's gotta be willing to play the fighting games, character action games and animu bullshit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jason likes anime which automatically means he is in fact, awesome.

And fighters. And anime fighters.

robotrock

Banned
It's alright, judging from this thread almost nobody has realised that the actual master of stealth comedy is Jason. If you think Drew's lines get missed, he's got nothing on Jason.

o4GPSjA.gif

Jason is awesome. Plus he rounds out the gang's gaming tastes nicely. Somebody's gotta be willing to play the fighting games, character action games and animu bullshit.

Jason likes anime which automatically means he is in fact, awesome.

And fighters. And anime fighters.

Agree. Jason is really great.

i love all of you

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not entirely sure how Brad and Jeff have the exact same tastes considering they're the two that probably have the biggest arguments over games during GOTY. Is the interview process supposed to start with "What types of games do you enjoy?" and if they answer "action games, driving games with the occasional fighting and puzzle games" then Jeff should just say "ugh, we already have that covered. Sorry".

They are often pretty divisive over the single game vying for the loftiest award in their coverage, but that is ignoring the rest of the entire year where every week shows just how often Brad does tend to sheepishly follow along with Jeff's opines. It's quite obvious that the staff is very much in need of a few more unique personalities as coverage has felt homogenized for a good while. Doesn't mean this demands 'sports guy or strategy guy, etc...' But for a personality driven website, the cult of personality has led to a real drag on game discussion.

o4GPSjA.gif

Jason's great, but *holy* *cow* does he use "fuckin' " as his pause word (his "uhm") way, WAY too much. It's infecting Jeff now too. It's actually becoming distracting. Still, the cast is better with him on it. I love that his game sense overlaps, but doesn't totally overlap, with the rest of the crew.

Jason's great, but *holy* *cow* does he use "fuckin' " as his pause word (his "uhm") way, WAY too much. It's infecting Jeff now too. It's actually becoming distracting. Still, the cast is better with him on it. I love that his game sense overlaps, but doesn't totally overlap, with the rest of the crew.
Or they could go the IGN route of banning swearing altogether, like they are broadcasting to children.

Fuck that shit.

NH Apache

Banned
I'll miss drew. His taste in games is similar to mine so I was always drawn to his stuff. Best of luck to him; I hope we got a shot of him taking off into the sunset.

I'm interested in seeing who comes into the west office.

Glassboy

I wish Drew talked this much on all the previous bombcasts. At least he stepped it up for the last episode. I felt like he was involved in every conversation. Gonna miss you dude and good luck with whatever you are doing.

Selddon

Banned
Drew was my favorite and probably the only GB member to actually play simulation games on PC not just for shits and giggles

dLMN8R

Why are so many people leaving Giant Bomb? Did something happen?

"So many people"?

-Patrick left in 2014 because he didn't live near either Giant Bomb location
-Austin left in 2016 because he got an incredible offer to EIC a brand new venture

I think that's it?

Tainted

"So many people"?

-Patrick left in 2014 because he didn't live near either Giant Bomb location
-Austin left in 2016 because he got an incredible offer to EIC a brand new venture

I think that's it?

There's also Alexis and Dave, but they were more the behind the scenes kinda guys with the occasional appearances, I'm not a sub though...so they may have more appearances in the premium content. Dave was of course one part of the fantastic flight club

popo

There's also Alexis and Dave, but they were more the behind the scenes kinda guys with the occasional appearances, I'm not a sub though...so they may have more appearances in the premium content. Dave was of course one part of the fantastic flight club

Dave left ages ago, he wanted to do his own thing as soon as his contract with CBS expired.

Alexis wasn't in that much, on the couch for UPF occasionally, extra life streams. Software engineers and designers move all the time though and Twitch are big payers atm.

I think GB has kept it's staff together way longer than the industry average. Austin after 1 year was the only surprising one and he was poached with a great offer.

I think Dave also played through one of the really old Elder Scrolls games and Dwarf Fortress in GB features.

Top Bottom