• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
2TWpz3B.png

oASGYr3.png

sQIlDly.png

Title: Dragon Quest Builders
Platform: PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita (Not PSVTV Compatible)
Release Date: 10-11-2016 (US)
Genre: Action / Adventure / Role Playing Game (RPG)
Publisher: Square Enix
Player(s): 1 / [ONLINE: Supported] Player(s): 1
ESRB: E (Everyone 10+)
Price:
PlayStation 4: Physical / Download $59.99 (File Size: 869 MB)
PlayStation Vita: Download $39.99 (File Size: 269 MB)
Official Dragon Quest: Builders US Homepage

IHAIemW.png

PlayStation 4 Demo (590 MB) US PSN
PlayStation Vita Demo (225 MB) US PSN
In regards to the demo version, it basically is the starting portion of the game on the very first continent you wake up on. You will know when you reach the end of the demo when the middle-aged looking bearded guy askes you to make a hammer and set up the portal to the next continent. If you try to use the portal the game will tell you this is the end of the demo then just take you back to the game and continue playing on the starting continent.

*NOTE* Save Data from the Demo does not carry over to the Full Game.

j4HCrA7.png

• Selectable Male or Female Protagonist. Hair / Eye / Skin color is customizable.
    GgtiaT2.png
  • Story Mode & Free Build Mode. Details on these in the next section below Features.
  • Various materials to build with and items to craft for use and decoration.
    m49kWac.jpg
    507sGnE.jpg
    0QK3sSu.jpg
  • AI controlled NPCs that populate your settlements and perform various tasks dictated by the type of room you have created. Such as cooking, crafting, etc.
    xkajY28.png
  • Map based off of Dragon Quest 1.
  • Equipment is visually represented on your character in game.
    UiZ3K83.jpg
  • Different weapons to be used on different materials. Big Hammer Vs. Stone, Stone Axe vs. Tree.
    THzSxdp.jpg
    iExCL3B.jpg
    JZfD2nT.jpg
  • Large Boss fights.
    tbV0CnD.jpg
  • MINECARTS!
    KRs6xld.jpg
    QvQOZUK.jpg
*Credits to Gematsu

hLF8uHJ.png

• Story Mode - In Story Mode, you’ll build your own towns in order to revive the world devastated by The Dragonlord as you aim to defeat him. You’ll enjoy a Dragon Quest series story where you’ll meet and help out various unique characters, as well as battle many formidable foes.
    xF4x8tp.jpg
  • Free Build Mode - After you clear the first continent, an “Unknown Island” will appear, where you can freely build to your heart’s content in Free Build Mode. All the recipes acquire during Story Mode can be used freely here.
    Producers Comment Regarding Free Build Mode - “In Free Build mode, since the entire map is like a town, monsters won’t surface. If you want to battle monsters, you can go to the ‘The Island of Cleared Stage Materials’ or the ‘Battle Island,’ which will be a private island where you can fight. On Battle Island, you can get special rewards by using Battle Tickets.”
    hijpxY7.jpg
  • Home Area - In this area, in addition to being able to make things using any material, you can also upload or download buildings by connecting to PlayStation Network.
    rvFm6qv.jpg
  • Clearaed Continents Area - In this area, you can obtain the materials not obtainable in the Home Area. There are also monsters roaming this area, so you should also try to get the materials they’re holding.
    QDzPR4f.jpg
  • Battle Island Area - In this area, you can use a special ticket to battle against an army of monsters. If you win, you could obtain blueprints and recipes.
    smf2Buw.jpg
*Credits to Gematsu

aG2tLDB.png

Announcement Trailer
What is Dragon Quest Builders
What is Dragon Quest Builders

YpZZIbh.png

#0:
Q: Does this game have multiplayer? / Co-op
A: No.

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: "In Dragon Quest Builders you gather materials, craft items, and build everything you can imagine in a sandbox world packed with memorable characters and dangerous monsters."
*Credit to SEJ West Community Manager, Square Enix

Basically with PR speak out of the way, its a game where you advance in the story by building up towns for the villagers who are "lost" in the world and need your help. Each map has its own unique scenario and landscape for you to enjoy as you progress through the story. The story bits can be a bit dialog heavy, though thats just part of what the DQ series is about.

#2:
Q: Is there a First Person View for the game? I don't like the overhead look of the camera.
A: Unfortunately there is no FPV for the camera, let alone camera settings in general. Makes for navigation in any structure with a ceiling or low ceiling location such as a self dug tunnel a bit of a hassle as you need to move the camera around so that it will turn into a semi-behind the character view. Though other situations cause it to appear to be a first person view, but its more the camera has just moved into the characters head, due to the lack of space.

#3:
Q: Is there a mode where I can just chill and build stuff and not have to worry about the story / quests?
A: Yep its called "Free Build Mode" Official answer on that is as follows from the games producer Fujimoto-san, “In Free Build mode, since the entire map is like a town, monsters won’t surface. If you want to battle monsters, you can go to the ‘The Island of Cleared Stage Materials’ or the ‘Battle Island,’ which will be a private island where you can fight. On Battle Island, you can get special rewards by using Battle Tickets.”

#4:
Q: How long is this game?
A: The games producer said about 50-60 to beat the main game without doing extra stuff, fully exploring and doing as much of the games content would easily take 100 hours.

#5:
Q: In story mode I don't have access to a lot of things to build, what gives?
A: You will earn new recipes as you progress in the story. Unlike minecraft you are unable to create new items from experimentation.

#6:
Q: In Story Mode are you able to build anywhere for your villagers to live?
A: In Story Mode the game will have a pre-set location where you will place the home banner that becomes your claimed land for the village. The boundaries of the active town borders will be lit up on the ground showing the maximum effective range of the banners influence / town border. So basically you need to build the town within said space for it to be considered an active town for the villagers to live in. Also a word of warning ahead of time this has to do with boss fights and will be tagged in spoilers
when a boss fight starts it will erase anything outside of the town border so be sure to try and not actually build your town outside of the borders as they will be erased when the boss zone appears.

#7:
Q: Do you continue to build the same town through the entire game?
A: In this game will be building a brand new town for each scenario / location of the world that you are transported to. So basically once you finish the scenario for the current section of the world you are in, you will be transported to a different location in the world that will have a new scenario for you to play through and town to build.

So basically to answer the question you will not be working on the same town through the entire game.

#8:
Q: Do you gain levels in this game and earn gold from defeating enemies?
A: No in this game you will not have to worry about "grinding" for exp and money. There is no actual levels for the Main Character. Though you do raise HP by finding Life Seeds. Items and resources can be harvested, crafted or dropped when an enemy is defeated.[/URL]

#:9
Q: Are there any official review scores out?
A:
*Credits to Jimmyfenix

#10:
Q: Is there a list for the trophies?
A: English Trophy List via Reddit

CDRrsMq.png

• Thanks goes out to Square Enix for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
  • Thanks goes out to Gematsu for the informational resources found within this OT.
  • Thanks goes out to Nicole Bachman for the Arcade Boxes font.
  • Thanks goes out to DaFont.com website for having an awesome selection of fonts to download and use.

Parakeetman

Great work on the OP!

Excited to get this on Vita! Demo sold me.

Nice OT! Cant wait to play tomorrow!

Thanks folks, just threw one up for everyone as it seems no one else did a claim and saw the game was coming out at midnight for digital / physical tomorrow when stores open I reckon. Or some people do imagine already have the game physically lol.

---

Will try to look for screenshots to replace the ones with Japanese in it. The US official page didnt have much to use in terms of replacements... D:

bobawesome

Nice thread. Had a lot of fun with the demo for this game. In a battle for my time and money for October games, it ultimately lost out but I hope to pick it up eventually.

Dragon Quest 7... Still playing it... 20 hours in...
Dragon Quest Builders... Got it pre-ordered... Coming tomorrow...

AND we're getting Dragon Quest 8 soon...

I'm loving this!

Parakeetman

If anyone has any other videos they would like me to add to the media section let me know. Right now just put up the official vids from SQEXs YT chan.

Dragon Quest 7... Still playing it... 20 hours in...
Dragon Quest Builders... Got it pre-ordered... Coming tomorrow...

AND we're getting Dragon Quest 8 soon...

I'm loving this!

Id imagine DQ Heroes II will be hitting the West also so it indeed is a great time to be a DQ fan in the West. :)

r3n4ud

Nice OT!

Had lots of fun with the demo and can't wait to get my hands on my copy. And shit, didn't realize the game takes so long to complete. Awesome!

ahdurian

still debating to get this or not...haven't touch DQ7 3DS yet because i just started the latest Phoenix Wright game. and there's still World of final Fantasy coming out later this month too...

JCX

Wow, just realized that my most played DQ games are both spinoffs (DQ Monsters, DQ Builders). I should finish a mainline game for once.

Parakeetman

Hope everyone enjoys the game at launch. Since really is a wonderful / unique title that captures both the joy of building and the atmosphere of the Dragon Quest world nicely. Seeing how the previous threads were on the demo / reviews that people most def do seem to be having a good time which is great to see.

Really have high hopes for a 2nd game in the series where they would be adding co-op / improvements to existing features. So lets all hope for good sales in the West too with this game.

I wont be posting much in here as wont be picking up the US version, though hopefully everyone here will enjoy discussing the title so my lack of presence should go unnoticed lol. Will be checking out what everyone says though most def.

Hikami

I've been waiting for this since I played the JP demo back in January. Won't be able to get it at launch sadly but I'll join in soon.

I like what they did with the Day one edition box art. Most just have a boring/ugly banner across the top.

Raw64life

Getting the game tomorrow, but as I'm not yet done with DQVII I don't know if I'll be playing it right away. Glad to hear that the demo impressed a lot of people. More Dragon Quest is always a good thing.

Arkeband

Banned
I like what they did with the Day one edition box art. Most just have a boring/ugly banner across the top.

I agree, if they're going to put that nonsense on every game now as first prints sit on store shelves until they end up in a bargain bin, the least they can do is make them fun.

Zukuu

Banned
Already bought the game and once I'm done with my exams and my Xenogears playthrough, I'll be all over this.

Parakeetman

Parakeetman

$60 for the Vita version? Is that a typo?

Need to fix that as cant find the Vita pricing yet. Was weird on the PSN store they didnt have it up when was looking using the search function.

Still looking for the price atm.

Parakeetman

I thought it was Cross-Save, but not Cross-Buy. Isn't that the case? Or was I misunderstanding? They share the same map, after all.

For the PS4 / Vita ver in Japan they did not share cross-save at time of launch. Not sure if it got patched later.

I would have figured one of you guys from the media would have been able to test it out already with review copies or word from SQEX?

Megatron

Need to fix that as cant find the Vita pricing yet. Was weird on the PSN store they didnt have it up when was looking using the search function.

Still looking for the price atm.

Everyone has been assuming $40. But I don't know if that's officially listed anywhere.

Megatron

I love that there for exclusive content if you pre order..... But no option to pre order the vita version which is also the only version with a demo.

Eusis

I love that there for exclusive content if you pre order..... But no option to pre order the vita version which is also the only version with a demo.
Usually they make up for that with a one week/month period to buy and get extra stuff.

Parakeetman

Thanks!

Everyone has been assuming $40. But I don't know if that's officially listed anywhere.

Unfortunately have not found any official pricing for the Vita ver. On PS Store it only lists the demo currently which is weird and not the official game with pricing. Kinda odd considering its supposed to be out at midnight.

Guess will have to wait till after launch to update the price. Or till someone else manages to find out how much it is. As Google is failing me currently.

Eusis

World of Final Fantasy Vita is a good litmus test probably since it's their hallmark Vita game that WILL be out physically, and that is going for $39.99.

It takes a particular kind of crazy to price that at $40 but not FF, SE's idea of crazy was a blanket $40 price on DS games regardless of scope or even if they were proper complete localizations (DQIV missing party chat, and ESPECIALLY VP for just axing most of the VA anyway.)

Tohsaka

Nice OT, I have this and Valkyrie Drive coming tomorrow. I'll probably put Mafia 3 on hold for a while to play this since I liked the demo.

Parakeetman

Nice OT, I have this and Valkyrie Drive coming tomorrow. I'll probably put Mafia 3 on hold for a while to play this since I liked the demo.

Nice OT and good title choice, lol.

Demo was a lot of fun, and visually the game looks great.

Thanks!

Yeah though it would be fitting, since new villagers will literally start showing up as you build your new city and complete the objectives asked.

Any idea if the amazon pre-order bonuses are any good?

Know this doesnt help you since its not answering your question, but I dont recall anyone mentioning those from the JP import thread either, even though we had them in Japan also. So am not exactly sure what they do...

Top Bottom