• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much are you spending on a Switch day one?

While that may be true, there is actually a worrying trend that I see people often overlooking. Read speeds on MicroSD aren't comparable to SSD, like not even close. They're more inline with mid-performing HDDs (and that's the better ones). Then there's the question of the mediums reliability over the course of an entire gen (especially so for those who are planning on going all-digital for Switch and will be reading / writing constantly to it).

If I do end up getting a Switch myself, I'll almost certainly go physical and buy a capable sized MicroSD for patches / dlc. Then again, there's the question of Switch cartridge read / write speeds as well, which is currently unknown. Those tests should be interesting.

your SSD is a lot faster, an OS on an SD card is not going to be pretty.

Not sure why you responded to claims I didn't make in my comment, but ok...

I'm fully aware of bandwidth and IOPS differences between the two and would never use a Micro SD card for an OS drive... But then, I also wouldn't want a full SSD in the Nintendo Switch because I want it to be light and be able to stay powered on long enough to actually play a game. SSDs use more power than MicroSD and if one had been squeezed into the Switch the battery would have had to be smaller in order to accommodate it...

I was speaking mainly about the amount of data stored on such a small medium.
I went with a Class 10 MicroSD card so it should be fine as far as gaming is concerned.

Crystal Mark says the card I chose has around:

Sequential Read : 45.710 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 40.874 MB/s

So it should be just fine for playing portable games.

Joel_Dawson

Neo Member
Switch Grey console: $399
Pro controller: $89
Zelda Master edition: $199
Zelda BotW amiibo complete set: $114
All prices in Canadian dollars. May cancel the amiibos.

Switch - £280
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - £42
Pro Controller: £55
Total: £377

Debating getting the switch messenger bag, that's £25 from GAME but it seems like a good quality bag.

Neon switch 399.99+12% tax
BoTW 45.49+12% tax

Pro Controller 89.99(paid with double trade credit no taxes)
Extra AC adapter 39.99(same deal)

Recreat3

Might have to add to my original total of switch, zelda abd 3 amiibos. I think ill grab a pro controller and a case for my switch. Probably an extra $140 aud so its getting pretty ecpensive now "/

Console - I got gray but I should have gotten neon - $300
Zelda (with Amazon Prime discount) - $50
Maybe one of the $20 cases?

So $380 or $400 after tax. I'll probably buy a pro controller eventually, but I want to try out the standard setup first. I figure I'll buy the pro controller with Mario cart / Puyo Puyo tetris (whichever is coming out first) when I have something multiplayer.

Megatron

Playing my wiiu this weekend for the first time in six months convinced me I need a pro controller for the switch which I bought with the Best Buy visa check out deal. I ordered that, a case, a screen protector, Zelda, and the guide. Still only buying one game at launch which I have never done before... hopefully it launches with some nice Vic options or I may just wait...

Caffeine

0$ because its soldout and i'm not standing out in front of a store to freeze my ass off for a chance to maybe purchase one.

Marvie_3

Banned
$600 - 2 Switch consoles (grey for me, neon for gf)
$60 - 2 Switch carrying cases & screen protectors
$70 - Switch Pro Controller
$60 - Zelda
$50 - 1-2 Switch
$50 - Super Bomberman R
$80 - BOTW amiibos

~$970+tax between the 2 of us, plus anything decent on the eshop/VC

I'm just getting the Switch and Zelda Master Edition. Comes out to be about $420 or so. I'll get an SD card and other stuff sometime later.

Smellycat

$250 Grey Switch
$57 Zelda Deluxe Edition
$51 Zelda Deulxe Guide (will probably cancel this one. I can't even remember the last time I bought a guide)

-switch console: 318 USD
- zelda: 51 USD
- screen protector: 11 USD
- case: 19 USD
- sd card: 50 USD

So...that much. Looking to pick up a pro controller in store as well if supplies allow.

BaconHat

2 Switch (One for me and one for my friend) - 800$ CAD
Zelda special edition - 120$ CAD
BomberMan - 60$ CAD
Pro Controller - Paid in in-store credits.

So, in total... way too much.

I got the essentials down: Switch console+Zelda+carrying case+screen protector = $385.

I probably also need an SD card, at least very soon, so that's the last component. Gonna have to do a bit for research to find a nice value.

Edit: I didn't factor in tax...

I got the essentials down: Switch console+Zelda+carrying case+screen protector = $385.

I probably also need an SD card, at least very soon, so that's the last component. Gonna have to do a bit for research to find a nice value.

Samsung EVO Plus 128 GB card on amazon is 47.99 now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0118LR9Z8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sandisk has a 200 GB card on amazon for 69.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62/?tag=neogaf0e-20

GDGF

Soothsayer
$600 - 2 Switch consoles (grey for me, neon for gf)
$60 - 2 Switch carrying cases & screen protectors
$70 - Switch Pro Controller
$60 - Zelda
$50 - 1-2 Switch
$50 - Super Bomberman R
$80 - BOTW amiibos

~$970+tax between the 2 of us, plus anything decent on the eshop/VC

You're a good person for buying a second Switch for your GF. Mine wants one but I have to wait a few weeks (or until restock) to get her one. She can play mine in the meantime :)

Paid for most of this stuff ahead of time, so I don't really have to put it all out of pocket all on the same day, but overall I've spent:

Switch console - $299.99
The Legend of Zelda BotW - $47.99
Super Bomberman R - $39.99
Skylanders Imaginators - $47.99
Pro Controller - $69.99

Games are 20% because of Best Buy rewards.

When you consider I bought a few Skylanders ahead of time to use for Imaginators, I probably spent an additional $50. Had to get Crash Bandicoot.

I am debating still if I want to get any of the Zelda BotW amiibos. If I got only one, I can't decide which it should be.

lenovox1

Hey my family loves playing it, we got our money's worth every time we've bought one. There's a reason they keep making them (besides being relatively cheap to produce licensing costs aside). The only things that would drop that would be other unexpected expenses or a garbage setlist.

Just Dance will be $20 in a few months.

Make sure your MicroSD card is at least class 10. The Sandisk Ultra are class 10, btw...

KLoWn

5146 SEK, which according to the converter is 573 USD.
(The price of the pro controller is fuckin ridiculous.)

System with Grey Joy-Cons: $400
Pro Controller: $90 (using ~$80 in gift cards at least...)
Zelda: $40 (bless amazon discount)
Link Archer amiibo: $17
Bokolin amiibo: $17
Guardian amiibo: $17

All in CAD before tax.

I feel like I'm "restricting" myself with only buying one game, 3/5 amiibo, no case, no SD card, and so on... and it's already way too much. God dammit Nintendo.

$400 - Grey Switch (shipping+tax)
$85 - Breath of the Wild (digital+DLC)
$75 - Pro Controller
$30 - AC Adapter
$20 - Case (Accessory Set)

Few weeks ago I bought a 128GB Pro+ Samsung micro SD for $100 and a 10000mAh Sony power bank for $30.

I am spending way too much than I should on the switch.

RIP my wallet

d50626fc07.gif

Jashobeam

Switch Grey Console ($452)
Zelda: BotW Special Edition ($118)
Zelda: BotW Guide CE ($27)

I'm going to do some trade-ins for Bomberman R.

about $600 total, all prices are in Canadian Dollars and with tax included,

I recently sold my PSVR launch bundle, so that pretty much pays for all of it.

klier

Around 500 Euro;

Console
Zelda
Pro controller
case

Maybe some small stuff next to it. Maybe a charging grip, some Amibo's

So my grand total is kind of disturbing (assuming I did the math right). All of my dollar amounts include shipping, taxes and discounts. Also some dollar amounts are combined:

Amazon.co.jp - Nintendo Switch Pro Controller = ¥ 7,420 ($65.57)

Amazon - HORI's Officially licensed Nintendo Switch LAN Adapter + HORI's Officially licensed Nintendo Switch car charger = $53.48

Target - Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Wrist Strap (Neon Red & Neon Blue) = $25.66

BestBuy order #1 - Nintendo Switch (Gray Joy-Con version) = $320.99

BestBuy order #2 - Super Bomberman R + 1-2-Switch + Zelda (standard edition) = $110.18

BestBuy order #3 - Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Charging Grip + Nintendo Switch Joy-Con (L+R; Neon Red & Neon Blue) = $90.93

GRAND TOTAL: $666... and 81 cents.

EDIT: I may also get the Zelda Expansion Pass, an extra dock from Amazon.co.jp and some digital games like SnipperClips.

Samsung EVO Plus 128 GB card on amazon is 47.99 now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0118LR9Z8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sandisk has a 200 GB card on amazon for 69.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for the recommendations! The Sandisk Ultra appears to be significantly faster than the Samsung, and the 128 GB version is also $40. I think I'll go with that one.

Make sure your MicroSD card is at least class 10. The Sandisk Ultra are class 10, btw...

Thanks. This was one of those things I didn't even know to look out for.

febLey

Console: 329,00 €
BotW: 59,99 €
Super Bomberman R: 49,99 €
Official Case: 19,99 €

466,97 €

Maybe I'll also get Binding of Isaac.
In April MK8 Deluxe and a Pro Controller.

Update:

Switch Neon: 329,00 €
Breath of the Wild: 62,99 €
Super Bomberman R: 47,99 €
Official Case: 19,99
Pro Controller: 69,99 €
50 € eShop Card for Fast RMX and Snipperclips

579,96 €

bumpkin

Too much, but it'll all be worth it. Thankfully I was able to save some money here and there with some My Best Buy rewards and the VISA Checkout spend-100-get-25-off promo...

Switch Console w/ Gray Joy-Cons - $300
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - $48
All Five BOWT Amiibo - $48
1-2-Switch - $25
Super Bomerman-R - $32
Red Joy-Con set - $80
Charging Grip - $30
Pro Controller - $52
HORI Touch Pouch - $18

GRAND TOTAL: $633

This might actually be the most I've spent on a console at launch ever.

Now i've settled on everything

Neon Switch - £279.99
Zelda: BOTW - £46
Bomberman R - £39.85

Pro Controller - £64.99
Case - £10.73

Zelda: BOTW Amiibi set (with wolf link) - £94.99
Zelda Special edition guide - £24.99

Total - £561.54

Amazingly somehow spent less than I did on PS3/PS4 and Xbox One launches.

Have overpaid by about 15 quid for the amiibo but worth it so i don't have the hassle of tracking them down individually after launch

Cartho

Grey Switch: £279.99
Zelda BOTW: £59.99
Giotek travel case: £19.99

Total: £359.97.

However I traded in my Xbox One S as part of a deal they did so that reduced it by £150. Factoring in the fact that I had £36.98 in GAME store credit as well that makes my total spend as of today (I went in and traded my console in / paid for it all this afternoon) £172.99.

Piggus

I added 1-2 Switch. So:

Switch (Grey) - $300
Zelda - $48
1-2 Switch - $40
Glass screen protector - $10
Case - $15
Tax - $0

$413

jlscool

Looks like Nintendo just posted the cost of I Am Setsuna at $40, so now I am thinking that with all the games that will be on the eShop (I Am Setsuna, Shovel Knight, Blaster Master Zero, Snipperclips, Zelda DLC, etc), maybe I should just get Zelda and then about $100+ of eshop cards and skip Super Bomberman R...

Nintendo Switch w/ Neon Joy-Con - $299.99
Neon Joy-Con Set - $79.99
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - $59.99
1-2-Switch - $49.99
Super Bomberman R
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - $24.99

$514.95

I also might throw in a Pro-Controller, or charging grip. I just wish they came out with a colored charging grip.

Pejo

I've got my Switch, and going to pick up Zelda if there are copies available at Best Buy. I'll order it from Amazon if not, so I guess:

300+60

Also picked up that SDHC card for like 50 bucks with that coupon from Amazon a few weeks ago. so you can count that too.

Whatever, I was going to get whatever Nintendo puts out anyways just for the exclusives and MonHun. (better be a new MonHun coming. Down with 240p forever!)

Had to update, things changed, lol.

System
Botw(Digital) in the form of 3 20 dollar Nintendo Eshop cards with a $20 discount from rewards at bby.

64gb SDXC - Free

5V 2.4A 30,000 mwh aukie batter, - $60

Aukey C->C cable, $11

so... $439 after taxes. Pro controller is inevitable, but probably not at launch.

Edit: Forgot i also got Zelda and Bow Link Amiibos so... $465~

Just zelda for now. Maybe an digital impulse buy if I see something nice in the store. Dont know what will be on there day one. Barely have time for zelda though, so will see.

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
Gray Switch $300
Zelda $60
Charge Grip $30
Extra AC Adapter $30
Carrying Case $20
Snipperclips $20
Either Shovel Knight or Fast RMX $20/$25

So close to $500, but traded in a few things to gamestop that cut it down to around $360.

Doesn't seem like a ton, but that doesn't include a pro controller or other joy cons I'll probably want later.

This is getting more expensive by the day

Console 300
Zelda Special Edition 100
128 GB micro sdxc card 40
Anker PowerLine+ USB cable 16
Hori Tough Pouch 18
Hori Screen Protector 10
Hori Game Card Case 10
Hori Compact Stand 13
BotW Amiibos x 5 73
Wolf Amiibo 13
Total ~600 + sales tax + some more games cause who am I kidding

Preordered Issac Afterbith+, Disgaea 5
Bought the Shovel Knight Amiibo, Im guessing it has compatibility
Would need to buy Shovel Knight for the 5th time......?Whyamidoingthis?

I forgot controllers. They will be mine. Probably the blue joy-con set and pro controller.

Waji

299€ Grey Switch
60€ Zelda Jp import, ship' included (kinda free because I had some credit thanks to work reviews)
20€ Snipperclips
So either 319€ or 379€ depending on how we count.

Kinsei

Banned
Switch: $59.99 (The rest was paid off via trade ins)
Zelda: $11.99 (The rest was paid off via trade ins)
Super Bomberman R: $60.48
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove : $33 (assuming they do a fair price conversion)

sugarless

Grey Switch - £279.99
Pro Controller - £59.99
Zelda - £48
Snipperclips - £17.99
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove - £19.99
SD Card - £6.99 (a 16GB to replace my 3DS's 32GB which I'm stealing for my Switch for now)
Quick Pouch, Hori screen protector, card cases - around £32 (a friend is flying back from Japan this Saturday, which is a stroke of luck as all the great Japanese licensed accessories go on sale there Friday)

All in all about £475 (€550 / US$575), but I spent the last month selling some 3DS, Wii U, 360 and PS4 games and things on eBay and have raised £500 to cover my Switch splurge. Some part of me is saying to just save that money and wait, but the larger part wants a Switch day one....

Top Bottom